Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge (10767 Views)

MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 / The Set Stage Of The FEC Banquet Ahead Of Cabinet Swearing In / The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Beaf: 11:04pm On Aug 08, 2012
[size=14pt]FEC approves N325 million contract for second Niger Bridge[/size]

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved the contract for the designing, building, financing and operation of the second Niger Bridge linking Anambra and Delta states under the private partnership scheme.

The consultancy contract for the final planning and design of the second Niger Bridge will cost N325 million.

Briefing state house correspondents on the contract, the Minister of Works, Mr Mike Onolemehinme said that the bridge forms a major link between the South-east and the South-west sub regions of the country.

He noted that the Federal Government is concerned about the challenges the old Niger Bridge has posed to road users on the route and expressed the government’s desire to take immediate action by constructing a second Niger bridge that will ease traffic on the axis.

Also approved is contract for the dualisation of the Kano-Maiduguri road, Section Two, at the cost of N8.3 million to complement the development effort of the Jigawa state government.

President Goodluck Jonathan was said to have received a report by the Jigawa state governor on the need to extend the road from Dutse – the capital of Jigawa state to the some part of the Kano-Maiduguri expressway, an extension of about 24.2 km.

The governor is building an airport and some housing estates there, hence the need for the dualisation of the Kano-Maiduguri expressway.

The council also approved the expansion of the 2.8 KM dual carriage road connecting the Apakun-Murtala Mohammed Airport road to a modern eight lane that will provide smooth movement of traffic. The contract was approved at N297million.

The expansion of the Airport road was one of the key campaign pledges made by President Goodluck Jonathan during his election campaigns in Lagos ahead of the 2011 presidential election.

While the Minister of Works asserted that the Jonathan administration has taken a firm step to deliver on the Onitsha Bridge, he also added that the importance of the Murtala Muhammed Airport road can cannot be underestimated, noting that the road which has been in a state of disrepair will be re-designed to eight lanes.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/08/08/fec-approves-n325-million-contract-for-second-niger-bridge/
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Kobojunkie: 11:20pm On Aug 08, 2012
WOW . . . a $2 million dollar Bridge? shocked shocked shocked shocked

I wonder how much the bridge will cost in the end.

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Malawian(m): 11:35pm On Aug 08, 2012
That bridge can be designed for zero naira! All they needed to do was invite a rash of reputable construction giants to tender for the bridge. The FG could have even made money instead by collecting tender fees, and open tendering (which must include architectural and structural designs) would have driven the price of the final construction down since they were all competing for the same contract.

2 Likes

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by deshclones(m): 4:45am On Aug 09, 2012
Malawian: That bridge can be designed for zero naira! All they needed to do was invite a rash of reputable construction giants to tender for the bridge. The FG could have even made money instead by collecting tender fees, and open tendering (which must include architectural and structural designs) would have driven the price of the final construction down since they were all competing for the same contract.

You beat me to it...wanted to say this..seems someone somewhere will benefit from dis sham contract..smh..btwn neva knew u had sense like this..a Yoruba man for that matter..odi egwu.
Kobojunkie: WOW . . . a $2 million dollar Bridge? shocked shocked shocked shocked

I wonder how much the bridge will cost in the end.

Kobo hold it there..you neva complained when fashola used almost 3b to construct that less than 1km bridge at law sch,the one that links falomo..
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Beaf: 5:28am On Aug 09, 2012
I just want to see this bridge completed. The current one is an eyesore; I hope it'll be fixed though, so there can be two crossings at different points.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by sheyguy: 6:13am On Aug 09, 2012
N328m? Is it going be a wooden brigde?

7 Likes

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Malawian(m): 7:15am On Aug 09, 2012
@ Deshclones, i dey vex with you so. Na you and who be Yoruba? I am an igbo from oraukwu anambra state! Both my parent are from the same town, so i am not even half igbo! Abeg o. You can tell a Yoruba from afar, all you need do is follow their cowardly stench. Kpachalu anya o. Achikwa mu ogu.

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by deshclones(m): 8:45am On Aug 09, 2012
Malawian: @ Deshclones, i dey vex with you so. Na you and who be Yoruba? I am an igbo from oraukwu anambra state! Both my parent are from the same town, so i am not even half igbo! Abeg o. You can tell a Yoruba from afar, all you need do is follow their cowardly stench. Kpachalu anya o. Achikwa mu ogu.

Ezigbo nwanne m..biko gbaghara...a kam asi..no wonder i ji nwee brain....guess ur name sounded yaribaish..lol...am a true bonafide anambra man..my babe self is from oraukwu...ndi be anyachebelu....so i bu ma in-law...ndo...

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Afam4eva(m): 8:51am On Aug 09, 2012
sheyguy: N328m? Is it going be a wooden brigde?
Are you insinuating that the money will not be enough, because i'm feeling same. This is not your regular bridge that we're talking about.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Malawian(m): 8:58am On Aug 09, 2012
deshclones:

Ezigbo nwanne m..biko gbaghara...a kam asi..no wonder i ji nwee brain....guess ur name sounded yaribaish..lol...am a true bonafide anambra man..my babe self is from oraukwu...ndi be anyachebelu....so i bu ma in-law...ndo...
you are forgiven, go and sin no more gringringringrin.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Biggyd2: 9:07am On Aug 09, 2012
I am so tired of deceit of government that I don't know what to believe anymore. Seeing they say is believing. Until then...

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Malawian(m): 9:10am On Aug 09, 2012
the N328m is not for the construction proper but for the engineering design. After an architect has drafted a plan, a structural engineer will still analyse and design the structure to withstand everything like wind load, dead and imposed load, amongst others. I am a structural engineer, and one of the ways to save money is by calling for bids and even charging for such bids. That is where the FG got it wrong. Rather than spend money to design, they could have made money by just looking at other bidder's designs and charging them to do so. Usually, the best and cost effective designs wins the construction job, and that is how the bidders make their own money. It also prevents them from overcharging for the project.

2 Likes

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Afam4eva(m): 9:14am On Aug 09, 2012
Malawian: the N328m is not for the construction proper but for the engineering design. After an architect has drafted a plan, a structural engineer will still analyse and design the structure to withstand everything like wind load, dead and imposed load, amongst others. I am a structural engineer, and one of the ways to save money is by calling for bids and even charging for such bids. That is where the FG got it wrong. Rather than spend money to design, they could have made money by just looking at other bidder's designs and charging them to do so. Usually, the best and cost effective designs wins the construction job, and that is how the bidders make their own money. It also prevents them from overcharging for the project.
I guess this explains it.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Biggyd2: 9:44am On Aug 09, 2012
What then will be the final cost for the bridge? undecided undecided undecided
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by ebamma(m): 10:03am On Aug 09, 2012
im laughing in farouk lawans language

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:09am On Aug 09, 2012
It will be lame for us to believe 325Million will construct a standard bridge.

I am sure they are setting up a death trap for road users.

anyway i expected the contract to be inflated 100times before the construction is done.

Contract awarded to construction firm with no address, an introduction to chop a national cake.

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by resourceng(m): 10:10am On Aug 09, 2012
wonder will never end, just for a plan and design....
only God knows where this country is going to with the rate of corruption in nigeria. there are ways to actually not spend this money just like what malawian has said...
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by talktrue1(m): 10:12am On Aug 09, 2012
Malawian: the N328m is not for the construction proper but for the engineering design. After an architect has drafted a plan, a structural engineer will still analyse and design the structure to withstand everything like wind load, dead and imposed load, amongst others. I am a structural engineer, and one of the ways to save money is by calling for bids and even charging for such bids. That is where the FG got it wrong. Rather than spend money to design, they could have made money by just looking at other bidder's designs and charging them to do so. Usually, the best and cost effective designs wins the construction job, and that is how the bidders make their own money. It also prevents them from overcharging for the project.

approved the contract for the designing, building, financing and operation of the second Niger Bridge

If the money is only for designing, that means the 2nd bridge is far from becoming to reality

But I thought Obj has awarded the contract of this same bridge during his tenure.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 09, 2012
I understand that the Second Nigeria Bridge is a Public-Private Partnership, it has to be tolled to generate income to the private venture capitalist, but am worried that N325 million may not be enough for a world class bridge. This is 21st century, we need bridges of the future.

2 Likes

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Demdem(m): 10:19am On Aug 09, 2012

that amount to me is very expensive for just engineering design alone. are we inventing a kind of bridge no one in this world has seen before or what? anyway, the real construction seems to be far away and not now. That is painful no doubt.

2 Likes

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by solgee(m): 10:22am On Aug 09, 2012
am learning so much on this topic oooo
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by aribisala0(m): 10:24am On Aug 09, 2012
We are talking of a bridge of 1-2 km that should have been built decades ago.A bridge that should not take more than a few months of serious work to build. I am sure there was no stupid contract for "design" for the current one that is still standing.They should simply call for tenders and get on with it.This bridge CAN be completed before the next rainy season.Honestly it is a minor job relatively and does not need all this drama.In fact more than one new bridge is required across the Niger and can be built at several points kilometres away from the existing one to open up other areas too.

We understand that the current bridge cost £5 million in 1965 which is some £80 million today based on a conversion rate from

www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP12-31.pdf

i.e about 20 billion naira. It would be interesting to see how much our current government will spend

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by mrperfect(m): 10:28am On Aug 09, 2012
That is long over due.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 09, 2012
ur guess is good as mine.that money is just too small for a world standard bridge! I guess they should start planning for a 3rd niger bridge too if they are actually gonna spend that little amount of money!
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by edicolove: 10:35am On Aug 09, 2012
These ACN and El Rufai crew will never fail to disappoint. How much does it take to design a 5 bedroom duplex? How much do you think it took LASG to design falomo bridge? Why didn't they call for bidders and charge them like someone suggested above? You lot are beginning to sound like broken records. Architectural design, geological survey, physical planning, etc before you construct an over 1km bridge over the river Niger is not something most of you can comment on. So all you should do is ask questions not make comments. Its very possible that in the Nigerians scenario, some government people might have added some millions to the figure but that figure is still very much in the range for such a project.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by crackhouse(m): 10:35am On Aug 09, 2012
It's been long i passed through that bridge. I always prefer to pass through Benue state even though it's very far.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Demdem(m): 10:36am On Aug 09, 2012
edistupid at it again cry cry

1 Like

Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by nwadyke2001(m): 10:36am On Aug 09, 2012
shout up your mouth if u dont know how government contracts go this is just mobilisation fee and the lest should be paid squely
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Okijajuju1(m): 10:38am On Aug 09, 2012
325million Naira for a Bridge is Change money...

They need to get Julius Berger to give them a proper estimate of the cost and all..
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Obinoscopy(m): 10:41am On Aug 09, 2012
I'm not concerned about the fact that the contract has been awarded, afterall it had been awarded previously but later revoked. My concern is this: WHEN WILL THE BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION COMMENCE AND WHEN IS THE ESTIMATED TIME/DATE OF COMPLETION?
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by Ekans: 10:42am On Aug 09, 2012
Haba,talks of the 2nd niger bridge has been on for the past 15yrs,i wonder the kind of politics they are playing on the intelligence of ibo people.When it suits them,they raise the issue to get support and embezzle the money and the ibos will remain fooled.Who ever told ibos that GEJ will achieve this when the east -west road that is in his backyard is so deplorable.Ibos wisen up,its all talk and no action.
Re: FEC Approves N325M Contract For Second Niger Bridge by edicolove: 10:44am On Aug 09, 2012
Obinoscopy: I'm not concerned about the fact that the contract has been awarded, afterall it had been awarded previously but later revoked. My concern is this: WHEN WILL THE BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION COMMENCE AND WHEN IS THE ESTIMATED TIME/DATE OF COMPLETION?

You should ask the journalist who did the report. Our journalists are never thorough in their reports. They are arm chair journalists. Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Appoints Umaru Dikko To Head National Disciplinary Committee / Nigerians Won’t Allow Tinubu Deceive Them Again With Buhari — PDP / Bandit Attack: Normalcy Returns To Kaduna Airport – FAAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.