Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,824 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike (32713 Views)

FEC Approves N80bn For Second Niger Bridge, Roads Construction In 12 States / FG Approves Work On Second Niger Bridge Onitsha. / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by najoke: 10:42pm On Sep 15, 2015
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1171513_Niger-Bridge-412_jpge82ddde798445d031ceedc9f3a95f705[/img]

By Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike

As part of the routine debriefing by President Muhammadu Buhari since he resumed office, the leadership of various MDA’s have met with the President to appraise him of the goings on in the Federal Ministries, Departments and Agencies; some newsy items invariably follow such meetings.

After the President met with the leadership of the Infrastructure Concession and Regulatory Commission (I.C.R.C.) the newsy buzz was that the contract for the construction of the 2nd Niger Bridge had been revoked or cancelled and that work on the bridge had STOPPED Like every Nigerian I was dazed, aghast, flabbergasted and just angry about this “injustice again” against “my people”. It took the crew of the very popular radio programme on Ray Power called “Political Platform” to assure people like me that there was no truth in that rumour of the revocation of the contract for the 2nd Niger Bridge; which is probably one of the most emotional projects for people travelling to Eastern Nigeria.

Now what is this 2nd Niger Bridge and what is the truth I want to tell? Please hear me:

The 2nd Niger Bridge has been concessioned under what is called a Public Private Partnership (PPP) – whereby a Contractor has “partnered” with the Federal Government to Build, Operate and Transfer (BOT) the completed bridge after the contractor has recouped his “investment” through tolling after some years.

The ICRC is the statutory body empowered to regulate all “Partnerships” and concessions in which the government and any other legal persons are involved.

In the build-up to this PPP for the 2nd Niger Bridge, I recall that Senator Chris Ngige was stridently against the project as packaged and delivered. At a meeting on Cameron Road in Ikoyi where he addressed some Igbo elites sometime in 2014, he lambasted the project, calling it a fraud and a Trojan Horse, he compared the “cost” of the Bridge with that of the “Lekki-Ikoyi” bridge of about the same length and called it outrageous. The PDP Aparatchik and their leaders from the then Office of the Secretary to the Federal Government under Senator Anyim attacked Ngige and countered that the cost of the bridge could not be the same with the Lekki- Ikoyi Bridge as the Lekki Bridge was not fortified for carrying trailers and the type of traffic the 2nd Niger Bridge would carry. Ignorant me, I was persuaded; in any case, Ngige could have been “talking politics”.

Alas, I was to receive a wakeup call when on July 1st 2015 the news broke about China opening the World’s Longest Ocean Bridge measuring 26.4 Miles (about 42 kms) and costing just US$1.5 Billion. Yes, the Jiazhou Bay Bridge of 26.4 Miles over an Ocean, cost US$1.5 Billion while the 2nd Niger Bridge of less than 2 kilometres under this arrangee PPP was to cost US$700 Million, wait for it; and as part of the obligations of the Federal Government to this PPP, N10 Billion of our money has already been disbursed towards the “project”. These figures dazed me and put me on further inquiry about this PPP project.

My findings will shock you; under this PPP the concessionaire/contractor would be entitled to “Build and operate” the Bridge by tolling for a period of Twenty-five years (25 years). This appears quite fair if they are to recover their US$700 Million investment; but wait for it; without doing any “affordability study” this Contractor had fixed to collect a toll of N2,000 (Two Thousand Naira) per Saloon Car, going up to N7,000 (Seven Thousand Naira) for trucks and trailers for a one time crossing.

Now compare; we Lagosians are protesting N250 (Two Hundred and fifty Naira) for Lekki bridge and N150 (One Hundred and fifty Naira) for Lekki/Epe Toll gates respectively, yet some shylock was planning, and with the connivance of some high ranking officials of the past administration, my good people of Eastern Nigeria and other users would have been yoked into a most extortionate “contract” for 25 years and to a project that ordinarily should not have cost more than US$70 Million (Seventy Million U.S. Dollars).

Do the simple arithmetic with the cost of the Jiazho Bay Bridge which is across a more treacherous terrain like an ocean and you will know that those who conceived and delivered that project are the Victor Ludorum of rent seeking.

The truth is that President Muhammadu Buhari has neither revoked nor suspended the “contract” for the 2nd Niger bridge, what he has done as the official guardian of our commonwealth is to direct that the entire PPP be reviewed to ensure compliance with best practices and to protect long suffering Nigerians from the wickedness and greed of their long time oppressor brethren who feast on them like the vilest vampires.

Just imagine that the “over priced” Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge (1.3km) cost N29 Billion; while the 2nd Niger Bridge (1.7km) was to cost N117 Billion with the Federal Government providing additional N30 Billion (N10 Billion already released).

If it was the perspicacious debriefing of ICRC that caused the President to order the review of this most oppressive PPP contract, then the leadership of that agency must be commended and recommended for more oversight responsibilities as the Nigerian consumers continue to suffer the tyranny of service providers like the TELCO’S; DISCOS and others who though ought to be regulated by NCC; NERC etc still ride roughshod on prostrate citizens who can now look up to PMB for help.

In conclusion, one cannot help but wonder what the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation under Senator Pius Anyim did in preparation for the presentation of the EXCO papers for the approval by the EXCO for this warped and pernicious PPP which was to keep the people of eastern Nigeria in perpectual hardship to “repay” the PPP consortium. Upon what data and materials did Anyim’s office make the recommendation or due diligence for a project so vital to “his people”? That is the truth about the second Niger Bridge.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-truth-about-the-second-niger-bridge/220307/?utm_medium=twitter

lalasticlala
passingshot
Beremx
TonyeBarcanista
omenka

79 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by sammyj: 10:54pm On Sep 15, 2015
Second indeed. This project is the biggest scam of the century. GEJ has been scamming SE since 1890bc. However, PMB should surprise the SE by embarking on this project as soon as possible!!

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 15, 2015
And them go still collect toll after them scam us

18 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by basilo101: 11:58pm On Sep 15, 2015
sammyj:
Second indeed. This project is the biggest scam of the century. GEJ has been scamming SE since 1890bc
wat is wrong with nigerians sef? Do u kw d number of states dat use dis bridge to link with Lagos? Why make it a SE thing?

39 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 15, 2015
You will never see that clown of a protection seeker on a thread like this.

Oya, Association of Jonathanian Wailers, over to you. grin

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by yimikaa: 12:10am On Sep 16, 2015
Overpriced lekki - ikoyi link bridge(1.3km) - 29billion naira.

2nd Niger bridge (1.7km) - 117 billion naira.

Using the over priced lekki - ikoyi link bridge as reference, the 2nd Niger bridge should be overpriced at 37.9 billion naira.

And federal government is to pay 30billlion naira,meaning the contractor will just support with 7.9billion naira for the project and they will still collect toll for 25years.

117 - 37.9 = 79.1 billion naira shocked to be stolen by the corrupt elements in jonathan's government.

104 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Obrigardo: 12:37am On Sep 16, 2015
Isn't this good reason for our ibo brothers to stop insulting President Buhari and focus their sights on the corrupt jonathan and his cronies?
Is this not a good reason to let the false agitation of a fraud and hoax called Biafra to die?
Is this not a good reason to see that biafra will turn out to be the greatest disaster a civilization ever produced because the same IBO LEADERS who were trying to milk nigeria with the 2nd niger bridge are the same people the "over zealous" youths shouting biafra will turn to for salvation?

What is really wrong with the wailing wailers and biafraudsters? are you guys so blind to see we have moved on more than a decade ago?

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by walexzee11(m): 1:12am On Sep 16, 2015
Our brothers from the East lack vision, This bridge will enslave them for 25yrs, Yet they see nothing wrong in the PPP.

I wonder how they will run their Biafra if they get it!
Cowards Left and Right!!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by obailala(m): 1:16am On Sep 16, 2015
I agree with the Op on every other thing, but not on the N2000 bill per car and N7000 per lorry though.

Tolling this bridge is a very heartless scam against Igbos. It is quite ironic and sad at the same time that is is even Igbos themselves that are ready to defend the scammer with their lives. GEJ was really heartless on this one.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by JAMANZE: 1:31am On Sep 16, 2015
There is three sides to every story, you have said your side of the story,federal government of 2014 will tell their own side and the truth shall have its say. till then we are watching

16 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by asha80(m): 1:34am On Sep 16, 2015
obailala:
I agree with the Op on every other thing, but not on the N2000 bill per car and N7000 per lorry though.

Tolling this bridge is a very heartless scam against Igbos. It is quite ironic and sad at the same time that is is even Igbos themselves that are ready to defend the scammer with their lives. GEJ was really heartless on this one.
are you saying the tolling figures he gave are incorrect?

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by agabusta: 1:46am On Sep 16, 2015
Well, bigotry and chronic political partisanship seems to be a better motivator than sound reasoning.

No matter the points and valid reasons brought forward, they will never listen, they will never agree.

I'm afraid because they are also kind of passing this across to some hardcore PMB supporters thru their hate of him.

Since they have decided not to see reasons, they constantly attack and vomit virtuperations on PMB based on false info, silly info, half-truths and real truths in some instances.

Supporters of PMB wants to have his back, and provide him with the moral support to succeed, and are also gradually being radicalised supporters of PMB who doesn't want to see any mistake done by him.

This negative chain may continue this way. Only God can break Nigeria from this vicious cycle.

20 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by TonyeBarcanista(m): 3:01am On Sep 16, 2015
This article was written to justify PMB's stoppage/suspension of the 2nd Niger Bridge project. We have serious challenge in this country. Since coming to power PMB made sure that he set aside some funds for the rebuilding of the North East. But he was quick to cancel/suspend the 2nd Niger Bridge project after N10billion has been released as part of the FG obligations all in the guise of 'the project was overpriced'. How can one compare the 2nd Niger Bridge project that with the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge that wasn't built to carry heavy-duty trucks? Since time immemorial the eastern people have been advocating for this project but someone just wake up to reverse/suspend it. We are all aware of the Lagos Rail project reversal by Buhari during his military regime.

Anyway, we shall watch to see whether the FG will reproduce a better deal and get the contractors back to site.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by agabusta: 6:15am On Sep 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
This article was written to justify PMB's stoppage/suspension of the 2nd Niger Bridge project. We have serious challenge in this country. Since coming to power PMB made sure that he set aside some funds for the rebuilding of the North East. But he was quick to cancel/suspend the 2nd Niger Bridge project after N10billion has been released as part of the FG obligations all in the guise of 'the project was overpriced'. How can one compare the 2nd Niger Bridge project that with the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge that wasn't built to carry heavy-duty trucks? Since time immemorial the eastern people have been advocating for this project but someone just wake up to reverse/suspend it. We are all aware of the Lagos Rail project reversal by Buhari during his military regime.

Anyway, we shall watch to see whether the FG will reproduce a better deal and get the contractors back to site.

Typical PDP supporter, putting a little bit of ethnic sentiments in your response to garner support from the tribalists.

Typical Barcanista, already making wild allegations in write-up, but now trying to somewhat portray a balanced opinion in the closing to fool superficial readers.

I have been wondering if it was actually you that was back, but your pathetic writing patterns of mixing half truths, making wild baseless allegations and then asking rhetorical question to seem unpartisan has convinced me you are one.

In some instances to justify your highly biased opinion, u put some references containing only part of the entire picture. Chai, keep wallowing in the exhortation of 'only' your gullible party members.

Your writings show u intend to do only one thing, sway opinions in any way possible. You already have the xters of the Nigerian politicians our generation will do away with. A typical political jobber. If you have a political ambition which I guess is your ultimate aim, you have to stick to justice and equity and mother nature will favour u at the right time.

But trying to play on the intelligence of people will not get u anywhere.

Back to d matter, it is a silent truth that the bridge is too expensive and skewed to the detriment of the Country in the way the contract and concession was packaged. Any patriotic citizen will support the review being carried out by PMB on the concession.

And why should it be the second major bridge that connects the SE to the rest of the country that should be tolled??

Is any other major highway tolled in the country??

Are we saying given the strategic and economic potential of the SE, the FGN under Jona cannot afford to build d bridge for the total amount of 117 billion??

Have u even tried to think it out, that the excess money on the subsidy fraud of 2012 can easily pay off this bridge??

I'm sure if it is PMB that plans to build an entry bridge into the SE with the mindset of tolling it, the whole news media will be bubbling with criticisms upon criticisms on why PMB is doing that out of hatred and wanting to hold d SE region down, and that this is non-existent in any other part of the country.

But what do we have from u guys as regards this project, silence, silence and even unreasonable support for it.

May God open your eyes.

142 Likes 11 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Aufbauh(m): 6:32am On Sep 16, 2015
I wondered the fate that could have befall this great country Nigeria should GEJ be re-elected.
According to Friedrich Nietzsche he says, what is evil? Whatever Springs from weakness. This is the sole reason why those 'chuwa chuwa' guys held unto GEJ as if he is their god simply because they were having a field day on our common patrimony with or without his knowledge.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by seunmsg(m): 6:34am On Sep 16, 2015
yimikaa:

Using the over priced lekki - ikoyi link bridge as reference, the 2nd Niger bridge should be overpriced at 37.9 billion naira.

And federal government is to pay 30billlion naira,meaning the contractor will just support with 7.9billion naira for the project and they will still collect toll for 25years.

117 - 37.9 = 79.1 billion naira shocked to be stolen by the corrupt elements in jonathan's government.

The FG is actually paying N40billiin. They already paid N10billion and will add another N30 billion. So in reality, the contractor may not be adding a kobo to what the FG will be paying. Afterwards, they will toll the bridge at 2k for 25 years.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by kettykin: 6:36am On Sep 16, 2015
yimikaa:

Lekki bridge is a single lane bridge that will not carry more than 1000 cars, Onitsha hold up presently is more than 10 km made up of trailers, buses cars, vans etc

5 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 16, 2015
Lalasticlala

I. Wonder why I would defend a thief with my life.

Happiness87:

keep comparing Nigeria to china, hag hahaha

the project is 12km
6lanes, 2railway tracks
48months timeline

there are no roads leading to the bridge
10km new links roads are to be constructed.

Do you research well on the project before you accuse people wrongly
no matter the amount of road to be constructed along with the bridge, the cost shouldn't be half of what was spent building the Jiaozhou bridge which was built across a dangerous ocean terrain.

Jiaozhou Bridge 42Km 4yrs

Lekki-Ikoyi 1.3Km 3yrs

Tonyebarcanista, does the below bridge look like a single lane to you?

2nd Niger bridge 2Km 6yrs and counting

......in GEJ's pockets grin

Stealing is not Kworruption grin

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 16, 2015
kettykin:

Lekki bridge is a single lane bridge that will not carry more than 1000 cars, Onitsha hold up presently is more than 10 km made up of trailers, buses cars, vans etc
what about the Jiazhou bay bridge in china that is constructed 42km over an ocean for just $1.5billion compared to 2NB of just 2km going for $700million?

Isn't that scam enough?

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by efilefun(m): 6:52am On Sep 16, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Tsmooth1(m): 6:59am On Sep 16, 2015
The only sensible Igbo man with foresight is the Chris Ngige. The average Igbo man think like deluded albino Nnamdi Kanu that is why they will forever remain enemies of themselves not Nigeria.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by obailala(m): 7:59am On Sep 16, 2015
asha80:
are you saying the tolling figures he gave are incorrect?
N2000 for toll gate?.. haba!

TonyeBarcanista:

Stop trying to deceive and manipulate unsuspecting people and creating disaffection in the country. I know you are a smart person who knows the truth but you are allowing the little pecuniary gains you make from your job turn you into a monster, do you hate this country so much?

Buhari is not stopping the project!

24 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by asha80(m): 8:02am On Sep 16, 2015
obailala:
N2000 for toll gate?.. haba!
lol..me don tire for this second niger bridge brouhaha..fg should just build the danm bridge

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

You're such an unstable & unrepentant deluded lunatic.

What has the rail project reversal by PMB during his military regime got to do with this write-up?

Important issues was highlighted in this write-up revealing the shady dealings in this contract, chief of which is the cost comparison between the Second Niger Bridge and the Jiazhou Bay Bridge in China, and here am I repeating it to you sycophantic hypocrite.

The Jiazhou Bay Bridge measuring 42km cost $1.5Billion, while the 2nd Niger Bridge of less than 2km cost $700Million in addition to the N10Billion disbursed by FG & the 25years enslavement agreement attached to it.

Now; Explain and stop blabbing.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Yeske2(m): 11:18am On Sep 16, 2015
Dead brain wailers, where una dey? GEJ deceiving you since time immemorial but your dead brain cells wouldn't figure it.

6 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Yeske2(m): 11:23am On Sep 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Why not justify that amount to be spent juxtaposed to that of Lekki-Ikoyi, that built built over river Benue wasn't even tolled but this one is supposed to be. Dead brain, you know the truth but deny it

17 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Yeske2(m): 11:25am On Sep 16, 2015
Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by genearts(m): 11:29am On Sep 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Did you read the article at all??

17 Likes

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:33am On Sep 16, 2015
How can you compare a single lane bridge that was not meant to carry heavy duty vehicles with that of 2nd Niger bridge? Buhari is only looking for justification to deny the Eastern region of the project just as he did in the Lagos rail project in 1984.
Yeske2:
Why not justify that amount to be spent juxtaposed to that of Lekki-Ikoyi, that built built over river Benue wasn't even tolled but this one is supposed to be. Dead brain, you know the truth but deny it
Zoharariel:

You're such an unstable & unrepentant deluded lunatic.
What has the rail project reversal by PMB during his military regime got to do with this write-up?
Important issues was highlighted in this write-up revealing the shady dealings in this contract, chief of which is the cost comparison between the Second Niger Bridge and the Jiazhou Bay Bridge in China, and here am I repeating it to you sycophantic hypocrite.
The Jiazhou Bay Bridge measuring 42km cost $1.5Billion, while the 2nd Niger Bridge of less than 2km cost $700Million in addition to the N10Billion disbursed by FG & the 25years enslavement agreement attached to it.
Now; Explain and stop blabbing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Yeske2(m): 11:39am On Sep 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
How can you compare a single lane bridge that was not meant to carry heavy duty vehicles with that of 2nd Niger bridge? Buhari is only looking for justification to deny the Eastern region of the project just as he did in the Lagos rail project in 1984.
What about that in China that is over 40km and about double the budget of that of the second Niger bridge which is just 1.7km?
That of Lekki ain't single lane, Lagosians can testify, deceive yourself alone please

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 16, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Barcanista; so in your psychotic & deluded state of mind, the chinese Jiazhou Bay Bridge is a single-lane bridge? grin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaozhou_Bay_Bridge

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Second Niger Bridge-Chibuzo N. Ziggy Azike by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:02pm On Sep 16, 2015
I'm talking of Lekki - Ikoyi bridge and you are talking of China.
Zoharariel:

Barcanista; so in your psychotic & deluded state of mind, the chinese Jiazhou Bay Bridge is a single-lane bridge? grin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaozhou_Bay_Bridge

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rivers Lawmakers Whose Seats Were Declared Vacant Lack Sound Legal Advice–falana / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Celebrates Her 67th Birthday Today / Northern APC Chieftains Move To Undermine Tinubu - National Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.