Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,301 members, 7,811,892 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

Relocating To Texas - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating To Texas (17548 Views)

Sam Mbonu Survives Accident In Texas (Photos) / Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Cheapest Flights To Texas From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Relocating To Texas by http(m): 6:10am On Aug 09, 2012
Am Planning my relocation from Ohio to Texas, any Nairalander in Texas? I need info about safe areas where you can raise family, quite neighborhood, Job prospect interm of industries that are triving in Houston, Dalas and other cities and cost of living for a single guy.

Please your contribution is highly appreciated.
Re: Relocating To Texas by http(m): 7:00am On Aug 09, 2012
Guys, am awaiting your contributions...
Re: Relocating To Texas by omega25red(m): 2:04pm On Aug 09, 2012
i currently live in virginia and i was thinking about going to Texas as well. Basically i had houston in mind because my sister lives there. When i mentioned this to people they said houston is no good job wise crime rate wise. I was told to look towards austin. It's supposed to be a lot more safe, full of culture and plenty jobs.

This is hear say so i don't have any experience because i dont live there. oh by the way there are tons and tons of Nigerians in houston.I don't know if that matters to you

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by http(m): 8:11pm On Aug 09, 2012
omega25red: i currently live in virginia and i was thinking about going to Texas as well. Basically i had houston in mind because my sister lives there. When i mentioned this to people they said houston is no good job wise crime rate wise. I was told to look towards austin. It's supposed to be a lot more safe, full of culture and plenty jobs.

This is hear say so i don't have any experience because i dont live there. oh by the way there are tons and tons of Nigerians in houston.I don't know if that matters to you

Thanks for your post, am actually in the process of my job relocation to Austin texas, i was just looking toward Houston since we have a lot of Nigerians and the possibility of a larger city, though what matters to me much now is Job and security, once again thanks.

Please i need more response guys!
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 10, 2012
Moved from Ibadan to San Jose in 1986, moved to LOs ANgeles in 1988, moved to Dallas in 2006, moved back to Los Angeles in 2010.

I will NEVER EVER leave California EVER again. I will NEVER EVER live in Texas EVER again.

Texas is just a deplorable, horrible, dead place.

Pros:
Lots of hig htech companies, surprisingly
Relatively cheap houses
Outdoorsman heaven, lots of lake for fishing, hunting, etc
The castle doctrine - no retreat clause - I don't have to back down or escape from a perp and can just off him.
Concealed Weapons License - you just have to have a pulse to qualify for one
Closer to Nigeria, non stop flights and cheap - You'll be in Lagos from Houston in 11 hours.

Cons:
Snow/Dirty Ice
Insects
Hot
Humid
Closet racists/separatists
High property taxes
Toll roads
Limp vegetable products
Tex-Mex (sucks bad)
High HOA fees

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Relocating To Texas by ojdollars(m): 12:56am On Aug 10, 2012
Somorin#1:
Moved from Ibadan to San Jose in 1986, moved to LOs ANgeles in 1988, moved to Dallas in 2006, moved back to Los Angeles in 2010.

I will NEVER EVER leave California EVER again. I will NEVER EVER live in Texas EVER again.

Pros:
Relatively cheap houses
The castle doctrine - no retreat clause - I don't have to back down or escape from a perp and can just off him.
Closer to Nigeria, non stop flights and cheap - You'll be in Lagos from Houston in 11 hours.

Cons:
Snow/Dirty Ice
Insects
Hot
Humid
High property taxes
Toll roads
Limp vegetable products
Tex-Mex (sucks bad)
High HOA fees

Bros Simorin, I beg send me your cell to onoriodelucky@aol.com.

@All, There is a lot of Job in IRVING, TEXAS, 20mins away from Dallas and still one of the places in Dallas County. Is one of the 50th Best Places to live in the World. There are cheap all bills paid apartment here, if you like construction Job, then you can find one even the next day here. You can email me at my email above for more information. I live in Irving, TX for now. Everything here is peaceful, 1% crime rate, work freely anytime. Everything is near perfect here, police, most friendly and in Dallas area, they are very unfriendly, cause of crime rate. In fact, Dallas is better, no much gossips like what you get in Houston.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 10, 2012
Somorin#1:

Pros:
Relatively cheap houses

Cons:
Snow/Dirty Ice
Insects
Hot
Humid
High property taxes
Toll roads
Limp vegetable products
Tex-Mex (sucks bad)
High HOA fees

So dude you are repping California buy you never told is the pros and cons. Now let me state them from my experience.

Pros: A highly diversified state with a Nigerian community which you can relate to.
-low food costs
-friendly people and neighbours.

Cons: highly aggressive law enforcement officers
-horribly hot weather (it doesn't rain or snow on California)
-high crime rate and gangstarism (forgive my English)
-high cost of living
-the state of California is broke and the economy is terrible.
-transport system here isn't too good.
-racism
Etc

Dude, I'm leaving this California and moving to Texas. It's better down south.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 11, 2012
pDude:

So dude you are repping California buy you never told is the pros and cons. Now let me state them from my experience.

Pros: A highly diversified state with a Nigerian community which you can relate to.
-low food costs

-high cost of living
-racism
Etc

Dude, I'm leaving this California and moving to Texas. It's better down south.

Sorry I'm not dude, my name is Somorin.

OP asked about Texas so I gave him/her MY opinion.

I'm not bored enough to get into a wed debate on the pros and cons between Texas (I've lived there, have you?)and California (where I've probably lived in longer than you).

In any case I prefer to live in Oluyole any day but na condition make Crayfish bend.

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Texas by seedord247(m): 12:31am On Aug 12, 2012
Welcome to mushin in america. grin
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 12, 2012
What? Is everyone moving to Texas? undecided

lol
Re: Relocating To Texas by oyewolejos(m): 12:26am On Aug 13, 2012
[quote author=pDude]

-low food costs

-high cost of living
-racism
Etc

My thoughts exactly... Color is a big issue here dunno why
Re: Relocating To Texas by mikkyangel(m): 3:18am On Aug 13, 2012
Ojodollars, who tell u say because califonia economy is in debt u no go fit run things here?its hw u lay ur bed u lye on it.all u need to do is to b connect,try enter n9ja churches look for help..waitin concern agbero with overload.Abeg abeg, Califonia is d very place with lots of jobs..I have lived here 2months and d very 1st week I came here,I got a job..pls any n9ja guy(witout kpala)in desperate need of a job abeg holla me,my Boss needs morehands..But sha I don tire for all these mexicans ohh,dem just full everywhr and d sun dey burn person skin for here,wish I could carry aircondition to everywhere I dey go...................................

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by mikkyangel(m): 3:20am On Aug 13, 2012
Oyewolejos, am sending u a mail in the nxt 24hrs,pls I need your expertise.sent u mail in d past but no responce.I live in inglewood(new guy on d block)...
Re: Relocating To Texas by dayokanu(m): 3:26am On Aug 13, 2012
I dont think anyone would complain abut Snow in Texas

Ojdollar.

I live in the same area too

OP it depends on what you do, If you are into Oil and Gas Houston is the place. IT jobs Austin and Dallas
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 12:56am On Aug 14, 2012
dayokanu: I dont think anyone would complain abut Snow in Texas

Ojdollar.

I live in the same area too

OP it depends on what you do, If you are into Oil and Gas Houston is the place. IT jobs Austin and Dallas

I did complain about snow in Texas.

I got snow and ice about twice a year in Dallas area. I don't do snow/ice well hence why I packed my Portmanteau and ran back to California.
Re: Relocating To Texas by dayokanu(m): 5:34am On Aug 14, 2012
Somorin#1:

I did complain about snow in Texas.

I got snow and ice about twice a year in Dallas area. I don't do snow/ice well hence why I packed my Portmanteau and ran back to California.

Which year was that? I got to Dallas in 2010 and the last time it snowed in Dallas was february 2011 during the Superbowl

Dallas has a humid subtropical climate, though it is located in a region that also tends to receive warm, dry winds from the north and west in the summer, bringing temperatures well over 100 °F (38 °C) at times and heat-humidity indexes soaring to as high as 117 °F (47 °C). When only temperature itself is accounted for, the north central Texas region where Dallas is located is one of the hottest in the United States during the summer months, usually trailing only the Mojave Desert basin of Arizona, southern Nevada, and southeastern California.
Winters in Dallas are generally mild
, with normal daytime highs ranging from 55 °F (13 °C) to 70 °F (21 °C) and normal nighttime lows falling in between 30 °F (−1 °C) and 45 °F (7 °C). A day with clear, sunny skies, a high of 63 °F (17 °C), and a low of 36 °F (2 °C) would thus be a very typical one during the winter. However, strong cold fronts known as "Blue Northers" sometimes pass through the Dallas region, plummeting nightly lows below 25 °F (−4 °C) for up to a few days at a time and keeping daytime highs in a struggle to surpass 40 °F (4 °C). Snow accumulation is usually seen in the city at least once every winter, and snowfall generally occurs 1–2 days out of the year for an annual average of 1.7 inches (4.3 cm). Some areas in the region, however, receive more than that, while other areas receive negligible snowfall or none at all.[25] A couple of times each winter in Dallas, warm and humid air from the south will override cold, dry air, resulting in freezing rain or ice and causing disruptions in the city if the roads and highways become slick. On the other hand, daytime highs above 70 °F (21 °C) are not unusual and will occur at least several days each winter month—roughly the same number of days each December, January, and February that low temperatures fall below 30 °F (−1 °C) or that high temperatures fail to reach 50 °F (10 °C). Over the past 15 years, Dallas has averaged 31 annual nights at or below freezing, with the winter of 1999–2000 holding the all-time record as having the fewest freezing nights, with 14. During this same span of 15 years, the temperature in the region has only twice dropped below 15 °F (−9 °C), though it will generally fall below 20 °F (−7 °C) about once every other year.[26] In sum, extremes and variations in winter weather are more readily seen in Dallas and Texas as a whole than along the Pacific and Atlantic coasts, due to the state's location in the interior of the North American continent and the lack of any mountainous terrain to the north to block out Arctic weather systems.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 14, 2012
Dayo, where are you?

Aren't you in Houston? undecided
Re: Relocating To Texas by dayokanu(m): 5:43am On Aug 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Dayo, where are you?

Aren't you in Houston? undecided

I used to live in Houston now I live in Dallas but frequent Houston

I was in Houston this last weekend
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 14, 2012
How far is Dallas to Houston?
Re: Relocating To Texas by dayokanu(m): 5:50am On Aug 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
How far is Dallas to Houston?

4 to 5 hrs depending on which side of town you are going and leaving from
Re: Relocating To Texas by fushia(m): 5:55am On Aug 14, 2012
Isn't texas a sort of 'desert'?

Dry with tumbleweeds.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 5:58am On Aug 14, 2012
Wow thats far. Which one is more urban? Which one has more fun places to go to, more things to see?
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 14, 2012

These are my pictures, I was in Texas for winter 06, 07, 08, 09 and 10, all had ice/snow. My Realtor who was born and bred in North Texas stated it has iced/snow every single year he has ben alive, some winters maybe a week of ice some winters 6 weeks. Pictures shows not flurries of snow but deep and impacted snow.
Re: Relocating To Texas by dayokanu(m): 6:31am On Aug 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Wow thats far. Which one is more urban? Which one has more fun places to go to, more things to see?

Houston has more Nigerians, its a coastal and generally more fun
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 14, 2012
dayokanu:

Houston has more Nigerians, its a coastal and generally more fun

Sheesh, I'm trying to run away from Nigerians over here. Meddlesome pipu with their busybody cultural jagbajantis-ness.

What's the employment rate in Dallas and how's the housing?
Re: Relocating To Texas by dayokanu(m): 6:37am On Aug 14, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Sheesh, I'm trying to run away from Nigerians over here. Meddlesome pipu with their busybody cultural jagbajantis-ness.

What's the employment rate in Dallas and how's the housing?

Employment isnt bad and the housing is kinda cheap compared to other big American cities
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 14, 2012
Can't wait to come to Texas. I feel a magnetic pull to that state, like my success is there or sth. I really can't wait o. . .

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by rakumiii(m): 7:42am On Aug 14, 2012
http: Am Planning my relocation from Ohio to Texas, any Nairalander in Texas? I need info about safe areas where you can raise family, quite neighborhood, Job prospect interm of industries that are triving in Houston, Dalas and other cities and cost of living for a single guy.

Please your contribution is highly appreciated.

As a man, there is one very important factor you want to keep in mind when relocating anywhere in the world. How marketable will your profession really be in that city? If you get laid off today, can you be employed again within 2-3 weeks? This might look like a simple reason or excuse but believe me, when you got a wife and 3 kids in school, everything else is small compared to having a steady source of income.

If you are in the oil & gas profession, petroleum, chemical etc....hands down Houston is the place to be.

If you in IT, Houston is probably still the best as far as pay but you can still consider Dallas or Austin (if you are running away from Nigerians).

If you are into Finance or Wall Street type industry, I dont think Texas is the best place for you to be. You will have to go to the East coast for that.

At the end of it all, the decision to relocate still boils down to where we can get our daily bread and butter. And ofcourse wherever you move to, your wife has to be happy with it if not, you will be moving back.... grin grin
Re: Relocating To Texas by http(m): 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
grin
rakumiii:

As a man, there is one very important factor you want to keep in mind when relocating anywhere in the world. How marketable will your profession really be in that city? If you get laid off today, can you be employed again within 2-3 weeks? This might look like a simple reason or excuse but believe me, when you got a wife and 3 kids in school, everything else is small compared to having a steady source of income.

If you are in the oil & gas profession, petroleum, chemical etc....hands down Houston is the place to be.

If you in IT, Houston is probably still the best as far as pay but you can still consider Dallas or Austin (if you are running away from Nigerians).

If you are into Finance or Wall Street type industry, I dont think Texas is the best place for you to be. You will have to go to the East coast for that.

At the end of it all, the decision to relocate still boils down to where we can get our daily bread and butter. And ofcourse wherever you move to, your wife has to be happy with it if not, you will be moving back.... grin grin

Thanks for your post, am actually into Telecomm, do i have some offers but not a permanent type, but as i know that industry, you can make do with what you have and look for better pay and job security, am just looking at Austin and Houston in particular bur Dallas is not out of my radar too....

Weather wise i don't like Ohio cos of the snow wahala and like every 3 months, weather changes.... and am a Tropical being...
Really appreciate all comments, please keep it coming..
Re: Relocating To Texas by rakumiii(m): 9:39am On Aug 15, 2012
Just saw this online.......... grin

Houston is known for many things: oil, NASA, urban sprawl and business-friendly policies. But the Texas city deserves to be known for something else: coolness.

The Bayou City may not be the first place you associate with being hip or trendy. But Houston has something many other major cities don’t: jobs. With the local economy humming through the recession, Houston enjoyed 2.6% job growth last year, and nearly 50,000 Americans flocked there in response — particularly young professionals. In fact, the median age of a Houston resident is a youthful 33.

The result? Over the past decade, the dreary corporate cityscape — pictured above — has been quietly transforming. Stylish housing developments have popped up downtown, restaurants have taken up residence in former factories and art galleries like the Station Museum have been inhabiting warehouses.

Combine that with a strong theater scene, world-class museums and a multicultural, zoning-free mashup of a streetscape and you have the recipe for the No. 1 spot on Forbes’ list of America’s Coolest Cities To Live.
Yahoo! Homes is publishing the top 10 here. You can find the rest of the top 20 at Forbes.com:

Behind the Numbers

“Cool” is defined by Merriam-Webster’s dictionary as “very good; fashionable.” Of course what, exactly, is good and fashionable is very much in the eye of the beholder. We sought to quantify it in terms of cities, ranking the 65 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions (areas that include cities and their surrounding suburbs that are defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget) based on seven data points weighted evenly.

Sperling’s Best Places helped us calculate the number of entertainment options per capita in each metro area. We also ranked the cities based on other recreational opportunities, including the amount of green space, the cost and number of outdoor activities like golfing and skiing available, and the number of pro and college sports teams.

With the help of Sperling’s, we tallied restaurants and bars per capita, weeding out chain establishments – Applebee’s has less sizzle than a local chef’s bistro.

We also looked at each city’s cultural composition using Sperling’s Diversity Index. It measures the likelihood of meeting another person of a different race or ethnicity. Increased diversity tends to lead to a larger assortment of interesting shops, restaurants and events.

Using the most recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau, we factored in median age, favoring places with a large young adult population.

We ranked the cities based on net migration (the number of people who relocated there in 2011) and also on unemployment rates, since a city’s offerings are only as good as the amount of people who want and can to afford to enjoy them. (No one likes to hang out in an empty bar, right?) We culled this data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Moody’s Analytics.

Houston is joined in our top 20 by four other Lone Star metro areas: Dallas ranked fourth; San Antonio, 11th; Fort Worth, 13th; and Austin, 19th. They all boast strong economies, large young adult populations and relatively high levels of cultural diversity.

Second on our list is Washington, D.C. With federal spending strong, the nation’s capital sailed through the recession with low unemployment and an influx of newcomers. Many of those newcomers have, like Houston, been young adults. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, residents in their 20s and early 30s make up about a third of the metro area’s population – 23% more than in 2000.

Washington also scored high thanks to its melting pot of a population, a large selection of local eateries and watering holes, and a host of activities that range from Smithsonian museums to music concerts. Washington reportedly hosts more festivals and events than any other U.S. city, according to Destination DC.

Perhaps not surprisingly, many of America’s priciest cities also made the cut: Los Angeles ranked third, San Francisco came in ninth and New York took 10th. “Established places like New York … have a built-in cool crowd,” says Bert Sperling, founder of Sperling’s Best Places. “They are like adult playgrounds, and people go there for good food and interesting events.”

In general the cities on our list fall into one of two categories: established (typically wealthier) cities (like New York, Los Angeles, even D.C.) and up-and-coming places whose low costs of living and/or strong economies have been attracting artists and young adults who can’t afford to live in the former. Up-and-coming metro areas that made our list include D.C.’s neighbor to the north, Baltimore (No. 14), and New York’s neighbor to the southwest, Philadelphia (No. 15).

“Baltimore is in transition because it has been down and out for a long time but it’s beginning to come back because it’s affordable,” says Sperling. “[And] Philadelphia had been forgotten, but now it’s being referred to as the Sixth Borough.”

Methodology

We attempted to quantify 'coolness' for the 65 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions (areas that include cities and their surrounding suburbs as defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget) based on seven data points we weighted evenly. Sperling’s Best Places helped us calculate the number of entertainment options per capita with an Arts & Culture Index (100 is the best score); recreational opportunities, including the amount of green space, quality of outdoor activities available, and the number of pro and college sports teams (again, (100 is the best score); and number of restaurants and bars per capita, with a focus on local eateries. We also looked at each city’s cultural composition using Sperling’s Diversity Index (100 is the best). We included median age, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, favoring places with a large young adult population. Lastly, we looked at net migration for 2011 and unemployment rates, using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Moody’s Analytics. The following list is the 20 cities that ranked highest according to these criteria.

10. New York, NY
Metro Division: New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ
Arts & Culture Index: 100
Recreation Index: 100
Diversity Index: 79.6
Number of Local Eats: 26,040
Median Age: 37
Unemployment: 9.2%
2011 Net Migration: -11,900 people

9. San Francisco, CA
Metro Division: San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 98
Recreation Index: 99
Diversity Index: 73.1
Number of Local Eats: 5,650
Median Age: 41
Unemployment: 7%
2011 Net Migration: 6,810 people

8. Orange County, CA
Metro Division: Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 87
Recreation Index: 98
Diversity Index: 75.7
Number of Local Eats: 5,735
Median Age: 36
Unemployment: 7.5%
2011 Net Migration: 13,910 people

7. Boston, MA
Metro Division: Boston-Quincy, MA
Arts & Culture Index: 100
Diversity Index: 54.3
Number of Local Eats: 3,862
Median Age: 38
Unemployment: 5.3%
2011 Net Migration: 3,660 people

6. San Diego, CA
M.S.A.: San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 92
Recreation Index: 96
Diversity Index: 74
Number of Local Eats: 6,111
Median Age: 35
Unemployment: 8.8%
2011 Net Migration: 10,850 people

5. Seattle, WA
M.S.A.: Seattle-Bellevue-Everett WA
Arts & Culture Index: 96
Diversity Index: 55.1
Number of Local Eats: 6,101
Median Age: 37
Unemployment: 7.1%
2011 Net Migration: 22,380 people

4. Dallas, TX
Metro Division: Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX
Arts & Culture Index: 95
Recreation Index: 86
Diversity Index: 73.7
Number of Local Eats: 7,689
Median Age: 33.5
Unemployment: 6.9%
2011 Net Migration: 45,870 people

3. Los Angeles, CA
Metro Division: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 99
Recreation Index: 100
Diversity Index: 82.5
Number of Local Eats: 19,921
Median Age: 35
Unemployment: 11.1%
2011 Net Migration: 10,050 people

2. Washington, D.C.
Metro Division: Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
Arts & Culture Index: 99
Recreation Index: 93
Diversity Index: 70.9
Number of Local Eats: 6,149
Median Age: 36
Unemployment: 5.4%
2011 Net Migration: 34,260 people

1. Houston, TX
M.S.A.: Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
Arts & Culture Index: 91
Recreation Index: 94
Diversity Index: 77.1
Number of Local Eats: 11,196
Median Age: 33
Unemployment: 6.9%
2011 Net Migration: 49,820 people

See Nos. 11 through 20 of America's coolest cities at Forbes.com:

source - http://homes.yahoo.com/news/america-s-10-hippest-cities.html

Re: Relocating To Texas by akaniman: 5:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hi somorin,Gud day to you and everyone.We are planning to relocate to US very soon,im tryn to knw d best state to stay.I hold M.sc in mech eng and my wife diploma in nursing,pls based on ur exprce in the US,which state and city can u ask me to live?Althogh i hv pple in d, new jersy/newyork and texas.We are coming as an immigrant.Tks 4 ur sincere and broderly advice.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 15, 2012
akaniman: Hi somorin,Gud day to you and everyone.We are planning to relocate to US very soon,im tryn to knw d best state to stay.I hold M.sc in mech eng and my wife diploma in nursing,pls based on ur exprce in the US,which state and city can u ask me to live?Althogh i hv pple in d, new jersy/newyork and texas.We are coming as an immigrant.Tks 4 ur sincere and broderly advice.

It will depends on your personal needs and ambitions.

As Nigerians we're all over the world (a coworker from Alaska of all places said his Mum has couple of Nigerians in a town of less than 1,000 people).

For me, my recommendation for new Americans will be states like Arizona and New Mexico. Low cost of living, adequate housing, etc I cannto speak for employment so you will have to factor that in as you do your research.

I don't like cold weather and the treacherous driving conditions it presents.

I can speak better on California and Texas since I've ACTUALLY lived there so let me know if you're researching that area.

In regards to California, don't believe all the hype, the government may be having fiscal issues but if you live within your means you will be okay. I live close to Los Angeles adn I have the world at my feet, I can be in San Fransisco, Mexico, Las Vegas, Reno, Palm Springs, San Diego within 5 hours. I can ski in the mountains in the morning, surf in the afternoon on the Pacific ocean and dine on Hollywood boulevard for diner. Not many areas of the US offers such amenities readily. But it means nothing if that's not your personal cup of tea.

I work for one of the major hospitals here in California and I know Nurses and Management Nurses are in high demand, in fact they are giving rewards for employees who recommends a Nurse that is hired. As for you I am certain you can fidn work in yoru industry but you may have to start from the ground floor adn then readily climb the ladder. We Nigerians are very hard workers and motivated.

One advice I want to give you that you didn't ask for but it is pertinent; DON'T CUT THE CORD, almost all fo us in my age group are looking for ways to come back home even if not totally permanent. Try to leave something suistainable in Nigeria like acreage of land. When you get here try to budget a hefty part of your income to send back to your bank account in Nigeria. Rent a house/apt/condo here but build a house in Nigeria, things like that.

Good luck. I am working on bringing my Fiancee over here too currently.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos-Ibadan Train Schedule For The Festive Period (Photo) / Truck Crushes NYSC Corps Member To Death In Edo / Why Should Someone Sell Their Properties To Travel Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.