Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Desktop Application Vs Web Application - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Desktop Application Vs Web Application (2660 Views)

Mobile App Developer VS Web Developer VS Software Developer / Developing Desktop Application Using Actionscript / How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mj(m): 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2012
Check this article:
[url]
www.valums.com/web-apps/[/url]
Computer is becoming part of us, we have the smartfones, Ipad, etc, on the go with us. I believe with the current trend, there is a great future for web developers.

1 Like

Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mj(m): 10:23am On Aug 11, 2012
please after reading the article, drop your comments here. Thanks.
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by Javanian: 11:10am On Aug 11, 2012
Although am more into desktop applications, i hate to admit it but gone are the days you make much from desktop apps...you can only do that now if you have an out-standing concept...we are in an era of web apps (which i dont like)...and gradually moving into mobile (thanks to Android). But i think there is also a place for Enterprise Applications both now and in time to come
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mj(m): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2012
to be sincere, I do more of web apps because 80% of the jobs i get are web application, what im doing right now is to develop myself to be good in other web apps development languages other than the ones I use, I believe a time will come when we will start to run netbeans, visual studio, eclipse online. so with ipad, smartphones, one can write code online, debug, etc. start using Microsoft packages such as word, excel, PowerPoint,etc, online. so you dont need to get all this app installed on your system any longer. i was amazed when I saw a web app where you can create images, edit, etc works like fireworks. my personal opinion is that web app is the future.
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by Javanian: 11:48am On Aug 11, 2012
what you are talking of here is having Desktop Applications hosted on the Cloud, most of what you mentioned are not Web Application...Besides Cloud Hosting wont work in Nigeria for now..because it consumes a lot of bandwidth which many don't have
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mj(m): 12:01pm On Aug 11, 2012
yeah, thats tru, i completely forgot about cloud computing, I believe we will have to get there, yeah bandwidth issue, i guess we will need a way out. I attended a microsoft conference at University Of Ibadan, I really saw some great stuffs there really, showing how cloud computing works, I'v not really gone into that, hoping a project will take me there soon. thanks.
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2012
same here i hate the fact that everything is moving towards the web, but i welcome the Cloud Computing,as most of my jobs are Web related, am always skeptical about moving everything to the Cloud or online,call me paranoid but i see Cloud Computing as an avenue of trusting data with external parties like Amazon,and Microsoft. Facebook,Amazon, Microsoft,Google all fighting to get our data,information,password,security. i find it disturbing but hey Web Developments pays so i have no choice. smiley
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mj(m): 8:35pm On Aug 12, 2012
Yeah, hopefully our government will look into but I'm not counting on those bunch of f***s in the national assembly to do that. My advice for new beginners is that web programming pays more than desktop, but itz ur choice at the end, I do both though but 9/10 of the jobs I get are web based...#shikena.
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mj(m): 9:59am On Aug 13, 2012
Another great article to read on the subject,
www.java.dzone.com/articles/desktop-vs-web-confrontation
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by olusogo2(m): 11:39am On Aug 21, 2012
With the fast growing of cloud computing, web developers have a very brighter future. But the fact is, desktop apps can not be write off, we still need them.
But, as a developer, cloud is bringing new light to my face. Go for cloud...
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by mkwayisi: 8:38pm On Aug 23, 2012
I can say with all certainty that legacy applications like Visual Studio, Photoshop, etc. shall never be functionally dependent upon the web -- just like tablets and/or mobile will never replace PCs. We may see more web apps, but desktop apps shall live still. Cloud computing is the future not the web. Imagine playing PES 2012 in Firefox :-D
Re: Desktop Application Vs Web Application by allemark: 7:20am On Dec 03, 2012
Well, now every work is done through internet and in that Online desktop is playing a vital role. It directly helps at both ends and saves lots of time with many advantages.

(1) (Reply)

Help With A Java Project... / What Is The Difference Between A Programmer And A Developer / C++ Vs. Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.