Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:12 AM

How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application (3245 Views)

Learn How To Build A Desktop Software Using PYTHON – Tutorial On Nairaland / Desktop Application Vs Web Application / Developing Desktop Application Using Actionscript (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application by Danyl(m): 2:22pm On Jul 31, 2011
hello house i once posted a topic on how to incorporate a database into my desktop applications and i received a no of suggestions on h2, java derby etc. but now i have downloaded the H2 database and i still wonder how i can create the embedded database with the H2 database software and how to incorporate the databasei into the application. sayomarvel and co pls help me out. thanks
Re: How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application by SayoMarvel(m): 7:40pm On Jul 31, 2011
If you have the resent updates if jdk6, apache derby (now java db) is bundled with it. Derby supports two modes: 1. Network, 2. Enbedded (which is what you want). Just get a documentation on derby and jdbc. I've not tried the other one you downloaded before so I can't really help on that. The learning curve is why I didn't want to suggest these databases for simple little data. Do you have a detailed schema of your data yet?
Re: How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application by ektbear: 10:07am On Aug 11, 2011
If an SQL database, you might want to look at SQLite.

Embedded devices and applications

Because an SQLite database requires little or no administration, SQLite is a good choice for devices or services that must work unattended and without human support. SQLite is a good fit for use in cellphones, PDAs, set-top boxes, and/or appliances. It also works well as an embedded database in downloadable consumer applications.
http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html
Re: How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application by megaplaza(m): 5:51pm On Aug 11, 2011
If you are using H2, then install or unzip d downloaded file, go to the folder where you installed it, get the H2-5.Bleep.jar or something similar thats d driver, add it to the lib folder of ur netbeans or to classpath of ur app depending on the IDE u r using.now click on h2.bat file h2 file dat is a window batch file this will start up a web browser through which u will create your database and also read the H2.pdf documentation file that comes with the installer. Then u will see sample codes or get to this stage 1st then come back. The main thing is that when u finally create the database say mydb.db u can simply connect to it tru ur code using jdbc:h2:mydb then package ur mydb.db file with ur app. Just get the databse working first. When u do and incoporartes it into ur app, ur app starts the db whenever u open ur app.
Re: How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application by NumberOne2(m): 12:42am On Aug 12, 2011
Why not just save your data in system file? You can still read your data off the file. The file may not be password protected but you can do some encryption if need be.
Re: How Can I Create An Embedded Database In A Desktop Application by 0yewale(m): 11:10am On Aug 12, 2011
i will also advise you . to get the latest jdk probably 6 or 7to use the embedded function of the
java:derby, or you can try sqlite, or try and get the proper documentation for H2, and its connectivity,

(1) (Reply)

10 Of The Best Programming Fonts / Please Need Help With Writing These C++ Programmes Please This Is Really Urgent / A Blogger Asks, Should I Abandon VB.Net?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.