Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,376 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:35 AM

Physics Or Statistics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Physics Or Statistics (13662 Views)

Changing Course From Economics To Accounting Or Statistics / B.sc Physics Or B.sc Mathematics / Choosing Between BSC Physics Or HND Electrical/electronics Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Physics Or Statistics by jswags(m): 2:45pm On Aug 09, 2012
Pls nairalanders , I am supposed to study computer science but now I am been offered to choose btw physics or statistics.. Pls which one should i go for. Pls i need ur advice pls wit reasons.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 3:12pm On Aug 09, 2012
jswags: Pls nairalanders , I am supposed to study computer science but now I am been offered to choose btw physics or statistics.. Pls which one should i go for. Pls i need ur advice pls wit reasons.
Any of them is good. They are all related to computer science. You can do a masters in computer science after earning a Bsc in either physics or statistics. Studying statistics gives u the opportunity to work with application packages needed for statistical computing and data base applications. Physics on the other hand gives u the opportunity to learn about the electrical/electronic aspects of computers.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by jswags(m): 5:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
Thank u ismail.more pls
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Taiw(m): 10:52am On Aug 10, 2012
its easy to make a first class in statistics than physics.staistics gives u a variety of opportunities in Nigeria.on a side note if u must go 4 these courses, u must be prepared to work the extreme(come out with a high G.P) to get a breakthrough in naija labour market.i was not told this during my time.Dont want u to take d same route

4 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Seun(m): 2:05pm On Aug 10, 2012
Study what you want to study. Take JAMB again and study Computer Science. Life is too short to waste on distractions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ifihearam: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
study CRK

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by quest003: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2012
Seun: Study what you want to study. Take JAMB again and study Computer Science. Life is too short to waste on distractions.
seun where do i click on to dislike this your advice?

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by samguru(m): 2:13pm On Aug 10, 2012
PHYSICS IS VERY TOUGH BUT HAS A LOT OF PROSPECTS COMPARE TO STATISTICS,IF YOU ARE NOT A BOOKWORM NEVER GO NEAR PHYSICS BUT IF YOU KNOW YOU CAN NOT DENY YOURSELF OF SCHOOL "EFISY" I WILL RECOMMEND STATISTICS FOR YOU
Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2012
[size=50pt]PHYSICS[/size]

forget stats
Re: Physics Or Statistics by freecocoa(f): 2:16pm On Aug 10, 2012
Seun: Study what you want to study. Take JAMB again and study Computer Science. Life is too short to waste on distractions.
Do you know anything about Nigeria and its higher institutions at all?

OP i no dey that line but i know statistics is more related to computer science and given that my one time physics lecturer was very wicked,i say go for statistics,good luck wink
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Seun(m): 2:18pm On Aug 10, 2012
Well, of the two, Statistics is closer to Computer Science and more useful generally in life. But you should study Computer Science.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by charlsecy4(m): 2:18pm On Aug 10, 2012
jswags: btw physics or statistics.. Pls which one should i go for. Pls i need ur advice pls wit reasons.

I advise you go for Statistics, which has a wider application than Physics. In Nigeria, Physics has a very limited application. Statictics is a very important stuff for any organisation, and is a veritable tool of planning. The place of Physicists is usually the classroom, at least in our country.

Meanwhile, you can buy another UTME form.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by slimyem: 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2012
ifihearam: study CRK
u nor well o...
Lol
@op,statictic is more marketable and less complicated than physics in my own opinion..
Don't take that Seun's advice o...
Time waits for no one..
Like someone rightly said,you can do a masters in computer science after your first degree if you so wish.
Cheers!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by freecocoa(f): 2:24pm On Aug 10, 2012
Seun: Well, of the two, Statistics is closer to Computer Science and more useful generally in life. But you should study Computer Science.
Which part of the he wasn't offered computer science don't you understand?

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nimshi: 2:25pm On Aug 10, 2012
To the original poster:

1) At which university?
2) What's your estimate of your intelligence and ability to reason?
3) What ambition do you have for the quality/grade of your first degree?
4) What're your plans after your first degree?

3 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by freecocoa(f): 2:28pm On Aug 10, 2012
charlsecy4:

Meanwhile, you can buy another UTME form.
OP i take God beg you,the above is not an option for now,stick with statistics, if you so want computer science,you can study that in your masters or even do it as a 2nd degree sef but for now,don't waste one year waiting for Jamb.

This country no good for that kind play abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 10, 2012
OP, Kindly go for Statistics, cos it has a lot to offer you, even after school. Compare to what Physics has in stock for you in NIGERIA...

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by moderatorr: 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2012
best advice.
Except @op isnt sure of Jamb next year.
As for me, i'll fail statistics any time any day.
Its a frustrated branch of mathematics.
Its not related to computer science as people imagine.
Go for physics, its a road less taken.
Simple and direct calculations.
Then after ur first year retake jamb and go for computer if u can.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Clemzy16(m): 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2012
Study criminology
Re: Physics Or Statistics by CrazyMan(m): 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2012
jswags: Pls nairalanders , I am supposed to study computer science but now I am been offered to choose btw physics or statistics.. Pls which one should i go for. Pls i need ur advice pls wit reasons.
I would suggest you go for stat.

Stat is kind of related to computer science. I myself I'm a computer science student, and in my 2nd year, we had some joint csc lectures with stat dept. Your data base management in csc is 75% stat.

So there's nothing to worry about just accept stat.

Physics on the other hand is related to engineering. You have courses like engin drawing, solar physics, nuclear physics, and many more.

So if you're mathematically weak, believe me, you won't survive in physics

Just weight yourself accdemically and I trust you would make the right choice.

Good luck.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by member10: 2:37pm On Aug 10, 2012
Nimshi: To the original poster:

1) At which university?
2) What's your estimate of your intelligence and ability to reason?
3) What ambition do you have for the quality/grade of your first degree?
4) What're your plans after your first degree?

Answer this questions and your good!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 10, 2012
moderatorr:
best advice.
I guess you don't know what it means to waste another year waiting for JAMB. Life is what happen to you on your way to where you are going...

@OP: Just be flexible enough in your decisions. There's no crime being in Statistic Student. Besides, it has a lot to offer you, and you can always come back and have your Masters in Computer(Information Technology)
Re: Physics Or Statistics by kayman02(m): 2:55pm On Aug 10, 2012
PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR HEART.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by olalekan1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 10, 2012
@ POSTER, i am final year student of statistics at the Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta, if i will advice you as my own brother, i will tell you to accept statistics because computer science students in NIgeria do a lot of statistics throughout their study. Also you will take computer science courses also wich are compulsory just as in mathematics also. so physics is in no way related to computer science at all. Imagine i stop taking physics at 1st semester 200 Level except 1 UNIT physics course that i did in 300 level. In conclusion, just forego physics and embrace statistics. Nigeria dont have enough qualified computer science lecturer. Ask any question, i will answer you..

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by rume(m): 2:58pm On Aug 10, 2012
Take Seun's advice and study "what you want to study" NOT what the university has offered you, except you convince yourself that was the university has offered you is what you want to study.

OR

Don't study anything at the moment, let the frustration kick in, then you'll KNOW what you want to study. hehe

source: opinion

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by fineheart: 2:58pm On Aug 10, 2012

My dear, Physics is it! However, if you are not strong in maths, please do not go near physics as mathematics is the language of physics and as such you will be frustrated in physics if you are poor in maths. Physics offers more opportunities than statistics. I studied physics myself and I am very happy I did.

2 Likes

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Seun(m): 3:01pm On Aug 10, 2012
freecocoa: Which part of the he wasn't offered computer science don't you understand?
What part of take JAMB again don't you understand? People should always study precisely what they want to study. Life is too short.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 3:08pm On Aug 10, 2012
moderatorr:
best advice.
As for me, i'll fail statistics any time any day.
Its a frustrated branch of mathematics.
Its not related to computer science as people imagine.
Go for physics, its a road less taken.
Simple and direct calculations.
Then after ur first year retake jamb and go for computer if u can.
Your not liking statistics or failing statistics does not mean that it is not related to computer science. Have u ever heard of computational statistics before? What about statistical computing? I'm sure if u knew their meanings u would not have posted what u posted here. For ur info most statisticians are good database administrators, while others are good in writing statistical algorithm and software development, apart from using statistical software packages to analyze complex data.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by jswags(m): 3:09pm On Aug 10, 2012
Thank u all for ur advice, I appreciate every bit of ur contributions.tnx alot.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by freecocoa(f): 3:10pm On Aug 10, 2012
Seun: What part of take JAMB again don't you understand? People should always study precisely what they want to study. Life is too short.
Seriously,this is Nigeria seun incase you are forgeting.

True that people should study what they want but grab every good opportunity to forge ahead,i tell ya,he can study statistics and study computer science as masters or even a 2nd degree.

Its like you don't know how jamb frustrates people abi? Elewa you are chopping money that's why you don forget how tough the system of naija is undecided
Re: Physics Or Statistics by hammedkola(m): 3:11pm On Aug 10, 2012
freecocoa: Which part of the he wasn't offered computer science don't you understand?

Seun: What part of take JAMB again don't you understand?.

I don't understand these sentences

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nairaland Featured In Oye: Journal Of Language, Literature And Popular Culture / UNILAG Will Only Admit 8,000 Out Of 32,000 Applicants - VC / Federal University Gusau (FUGUS) Expels Students For Protesting Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.