Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,393 members, 7,826,517 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Physics Or Statistics - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Physics Or Statistics (13738 Views)

Changing Course From Economics To Accounting Or Statistics / B.sc Physics Or B.sc Mathematics / Choosing Between BSC Physics Or HND Electrical/electronics Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 6:00am On Aug 15, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Is "quantum computing not the intersection between both fields" (physics and computer science)?

"Is computational physics not the intersection between both fields" (physics and computer science)?

You see how irrelevant your question is now?
if u want to tell us the relationship btw physics and CS pls do, but don't try to say statistics has no relationship with CS. In the university then, we had a lab equipped with computers for stats computing, but never had any computers in physics labs for computing. This should tell u something about who uses computer more in their work.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 6:01am On Aug 15, 2012
ishmael: Sorry u're still living in the past. [size=15pt]Statistics has stopped being a branch of mathematics[/size]. Statistics is a mathematical science that stands on its own now, and statistical computing is very significant to statisticians. Pls use 'google' to confirm this.

shocked shocked

Statistics is still very much a branch of mathematics, please use Google to confirm.

[edited]
Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 6:05am On Aug 15, 2012
ishmael: if u want to tell us the relationship btw physics and CS pls do, but don't try to say statistics has no relationship with CS. In the university then, we had a lab equipped with computers for stats computing, but never had any computers in physics labs for computing. This should tell u something about who uses computer more in their work.

Why does it matter whether your particular school had computers or not in the physics lab classes you took? That's irrelevant.

The point is there are areas of physics - such as nuclear physics or solid state physics - where computational physics often plays a pretty big role but no one uses that to argue that physics is really that close to computer science because they know it's not and that computer science is rooted more in pure math and logic.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 6:12am On Aug 15, 2012
Statistics, well it is definitely a subset of math in general. Tools like linear algebra, optimization, probability theory (essentially measure theory), calculus, etc all come into play to justify statistical methodology (e.g., why is the central limit theorem true? when is the Poisson approximation for the binomial distribution valid? etc).

Statisticians don't really care much about the algorithmic aspects? E.g., convergence, running time, etc. Computer scientists, especially theoretical computer scientists compare about these issues.

I dunno, just read through like a leading statistics journal. The papers there aren't very similar to what one would read in a CS journal.

Nor are they similar to most of what will read in a physics journal.

Which brings me back to my main point...these are three distinct fields. It doesn't make sense to two of them especially go together.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 6:15am On Aug 15, 2012
They are three distinct fields, but obviously have areas of overlap.

Physics and statistics: MCMC techniques/algorithms (and probably lots of others)
CS and statistics: machine learning, randomized algorithms
Physics and CS: quantum computing, probably a few others
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 7:03am On Aug 15, 2012
PhysicsQED:

shocked shocked

Statistics is still very much a branch of mathematics, please use Google to confirm.

[edited]

I've confirmed that long ago. U do. Google 'statistics', confirm and come back and edit ur post.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 7:05am On Aug 15, 2012
ishmael: I've confirmed that long ago. U do google 'statistics', confirm and come back and edit ur post.

The problem here is that you just don't know what you're talking about and want to argue blindly. This is becoming a waste of time. Later.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 7:13am On Aug 15, 2012
PhysicsQED:

The problem here is that you just don't know what you're talking about and want to argue blindly. This is becoming a waste of time. Later.
Hey man don't get angry now. We've been on this debate peacefully without any problems. We all argue to know more and to know better. I did'nt want to tell u this before; i'm enjoying this debate and i'm of course learning more from ur points. I' ve told u now, so let's go on.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 7:16am On Aug 15, 2012
ishmael: Hey man don't get angry now. We've been on this debate peacefully without any problems. We all argue to know more and to know better. I did'nt want to tell u this before; i'm enjoying this debate and i'm of course learning more from ur points. I' ve told u now, so let's go on.

Well, I don't agree with the notion that statistics has stopped being a branch of pure math, even if many modern of uses of statistics may be heavily dependent on computers. I don't think there's much more that needs to be said besides that.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 7:18am On Aug 15, 2012
Perhaps we should make a list of core topics that one sees in an undergraduate statistics major.

How many of them are "computer sciency" in nature?
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 7:19am On Aug 15, 2012
Statistics isn't really a branch of pure math.

Probability is, yes. Statistics is more applied math.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 7:30am On Aug 15, 2012
ekt_bear: Statistics isn't really a branch of pure math.

Probability is, yes. Statistics is more applied math.

True, but many areas of pure math will eventually find some application - there's even applied number theory. So it's not like the line between pure and applied will always be so distinct. I'm sure there are some areas of probability that haven't found an application yet, but I'm not sure that will always be the case.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 7:39am On Aug 15, 2012
Sure. Cryptography, RSA (used whenever you buy stuff online or visit a https:// website) is applied number theory. But I view that primarily as applying existing theory to solve concrete problems (though, this is by no means easy or trivial.

I guess it depends on what you define a "pure mathematician" to be. But most statisticians are motivated by some sort of real applications, real-world data, or existing procedure that they want to analyze or describe the properties of.

Pure mathematicians, I guess my conception of them is people who work on relatively obscure problems in math that have absolutely no immediate application or use.

Statistics is a bit different...even a theoretical statistics paper which for example proves that "procedure X is asymptotically consistent under the following conditions", well, that is kind of immediately useful, since it means that procedure X behaves well as you give it more data. Which of course is useful to anyone who is using procedure X to solve a real problem.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 7:40am On Aug 15, 2012
I'm happy u guys are back. This is a nice thread i must say. The truth is that many computational courses like maths, physics, stats, ops research, etc are heavily dependent on computers today to carry out computations efficiently, therefore there is need for them to have some knowledge of computing.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 7:46am On Aug 15, 2012
The boundary between pure and applied can be somewhat unclear at times. And then you have famous mathematicians like Terence Tao who have done excellent work in both areas.

Definitely in the 40s, 50s, 60s, you'd have guys who were pure mathematicians making huge contributions to more applied fields.

The early statisticians were all mostly mathematicians, right?

Same for the early computer scientists.

The Nash equilibrium guy had his training in pure math.

I don't know if this is true in physics as well, though (and suspect that it is not).
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 7:47am On Aug 15, 2012
ishmael: I'm happy u guys are back. This is a nice thread i must say. The truth is that many computational courses like maths, physics, stats, ops research, etc are heavily dependent on computers today to carry out computations efficiently, therefore there is need for them to have some knowledge of computing.

Sure. But I might use a toaster to make my breakfast. That doesn't mean that I am closely related to a chef, or something.

Everyone needs to know some computing nowadays. But that doesn't mean that they are defined by it, or that is their career.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by PhysicsQED(m): 7:48am On Aug 15, 2012
ekt_bear: Pure mathematicians, I guess my conception of them is people who work on relatively obscure problems in math that have absolutely no immediate application or use.

Statistics is a bit different...even a theoretical statistics paper which for example proves that "procedure X is asymptotically consistent under the following conditions", well, that is kind of immediately useful, since it means that procedure X behaves well as you give it more data. Which of course is useful to anyone who is using procedure X to solve a real problem.

Yeah, you're right. I think the big overlap between probability theory and theoretical statistics was what misled me there.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 8:19am On Aug 15, 2012
ekt_bear:

Sure. But I might use a toaster to make my breakfast. That doesn't mean that I am closely related to a chef, or something.

Everyone needs to know some computing nowadays. But that doesn't mean that they are defined by it, or that is their career.
Truely, u may be related to the chef, but i believe u're strongly related to the baker. Laffing!! Just kidding! Computational courses depend so much on computers for efficiency and to ease their work. I'm still wondering how they can perform large iterations and simulations without a computer.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 7:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
I also discovered that statistical methods are used immensely in researches in some areas of physics. It means most of these computational courses like maths, stats, physics, comp sci, and ops research are kind of related or useful to each other.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 10:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
Yeah, MCMC techniques supposedly are used a lot in physics. I wouldn't know the specifics though of where exactly they use it.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 5:21am On Aug 16, 2012
ekt_bear: Yeah, MCMC techniques supposedly are used a lot in physics. I wouldn't know the specifics though of where exactly they use it.
MCMC = Markov chain Monte carlo, right? I think it's mostly used in some kind of simulation studies.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 5:26am On Aug 16, 2012
Yes.

MCMC is used when you want to draw a sample from some distribution, but the distribution is (computationally) hard to specify. I guess Gibbs sampling is one of the more popular MCMC techniques. Statisticians use it a lot. Computer scientists also use it for some applications.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 5:30am On Aug 16, 2012
ekt_bear: Yes.

MCMC is used when you want to draw a sample from some distribution, but the distribution is (computationally) hard to specify. I guess Gibbs sampling is one of the more popular MCMC techniques. Statisticians use it a lot. Computer scientists also use it for some applications.
Yes, u're very correct. You know so much about statistical applications in physics, u're a great asset bro.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ektbear: 5:32am On Aug 16, 2012
Nah, I know very little about statistics/probability in physics. But a lot of people use stat/probability to model things these days.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Yunisa001(m): 5:48am On Aug 16, 2012
Let first of start 4r computer engr and electrical and electronic engr ,in most university today but the two course normaly head by one h o d because computer engr related to electrical and electronic engr in area of telecomunication the same tin aplicable to computer science and physic or physic and electronic but statistic is quite different 4rm them because a statictitian is almost refer to as banker because is related to economic and other management science course so it is an opurtunity 4 u if u can go 4 physic because as a physics u can work in almost all telecomunication company at the same time end up to be a electrical and electronic engr ,computer engr ,mechanical engr etc and as elec engr u are a computer scientist and as a computer engr u are a computer scientist but statistic u dont get such opportunity ,some on said computing satistical does that mean satistic is the one design the software for computing statistical data or because acountant make u of office or excell on computer so they are the one write the program so to consider the situation of labour market in our country event outside the country i will advice u to go 4 physic instead of statistic because if u go 4 sta u will end up be in admin sector but if u go for physic u will end up been self reliance as an engr ,doctor tank .This comment is made by Adewale Yunisa Tubosun ,i had my ND @ RUFUS GIWA POLY OWO COMPUTER ENGR AND AM NOW STUDY PHYSICS AND ELECTRONIC AT ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY AKUNGBA AKOKO
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 6:17am On Aug 16, 2012
Yunisa001: Let first of start 4r computer engr and electrical and electronic engr ,in most university today but the two course normaly head by one h o d because computer engr related to electrical and electronic engr in area of telecomunication the same tin aplicable to computer science and physic or physic and electronic but statistic is quite different 4rm them because a statictitian is almost refer to as banker because is related to economic and other management science course so it is an opurtunity 4 u if u can go 4 physic because as a physics u can work in almost all telecomunication company at the same time end up to be a electrical and electronic engr ,computer engr ,mechanical engr etc and as elec engr u are a computer scientist and as a computer engr u are a computer scientist but statistic u dont get such opportunity ,some on said computing satistical does that mean satistic is the one design the software for computing statistical data or because acountant make u of office or excell on computer so they are the one write the program so to consider the situation of labour market in our country event outside the country i will advice u to go 4 physic instead of statistic because if u go 4 sta u will end up be in admin sector but if u go for physic u will end up been self reliance as an engr ,doctor tank .This comment is made by Adewale Yunisa Tubosun ,i had my ND @ RUFUS GIWA POLY OWO COMPUTER ENGR AND AM NOW STUDY PHYSICS AND ELECTRONIC AT ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY AKUNGBA AKOKO
Thanks for ur contribution. You tried sha, but from ur post it shows u know very little about statistics. Use "google" to find out what statistics is and areas where statistical techniques are applied. Na wa o, and this same man is parading himself as a physics/electronics student. @Ekt_bear, u need to help this poster with his style of writing. I'm not making any sense out of his post. It's like a post coming from a mediocre scientist.

1 Like

Re: Physics Or Statistics by Yunisa001(m): 6:29am On Aug 16, 2012
In adition to my post,I as some who has a background in engr i want u to know that using of computer is quite different 4rm making of computer to function statictitian only make use of computer to carry out some operation which almost all department in institution do even the student of yoruba make use of computer they are all just a computer literate but the person in charge of of making computer to fuction in ter of program writting to perform specific task on computer and electrical function at the same time the communictation function of computer such transmitting ,networking are the engr or scientist and the can start 4rm physic and end up been an end up been scientist o engr like computer and electronic engr or electrical electronic engr so been an computer and electronic engr or electrical and electronic engr u are already a computer scientist ,i will direct u to go an ask any computer science student @ uniben to confirm a lecturer that has b engr in electrical and electronic and he is a departmental lecturer at computer science so bsc in physic plus pgd in computer engr or electrical electronic u are already a computer engr or electrical electronic engr at the same time been an computer engr or electrical electronic engr is even an higher advantage the been a computer scientist because that engr is a profesional title like doctor ,lawyer etc
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 6:57am On Aug 16, 2012
Yunisa001: In adition to my post,I as some who has a background in engr i want u to know that using of computer is quite different 4rm making of computer to function statictitian only make use of computer to carry out some operation which almost all department in institution do even the student of yoruba make use of computer they are all just a computer literate but the person in charge of of making computer to fuction in ter of program writting to perform specific task on computer and electrical function at the same time the communictation function of computer such transmitting ,networking are the engr or scientist and the can start 4rm physic and end up been an end up been scientist o engr like computer and electronic engr or electrical electronic engr so been an computer and electronic engr or electrical and electronic engr u are already a computer scientist ,i will direct u to go an ask any computer science student @ uniben to confirm a lecturer that has b engr in electrical and electronic and he is a departmental lecturer at computer science so bsc in physic plus pgd in computer engr or electrical electronic u are already a computer engr or electrical electronic engr at the same time been an computer engr or electrical electronic engr is even an higher advantage the been a computer scientist because that engr is a profesional title like doctor ,lawyer etc
Oh my God!
Re: Physics Or Statistics by Yunisa001(m): 11:29am On Aug 16, 2012
ishmael: Oh my God!
What for?
Re: Physics Or Statistics by geosolveshippin: 1:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
is not the course of studw that matters but your purpose in life. Pray hard and allow God to decide here for you and not mortal man. Alright.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by ishmael(m): 2:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
Yunisa001: What for?
For what u've been posting on this thread.
Re: Physics Or Statistics by rhydex247(m): 10:29am On Jul 20, 2016
Good morning to u all. ...
Am a potential maths graduate from lautech... with a good cgpa....now I want to learn some statistical package... like SPSS, Eview, mathematics economics and the likes...How can I go about learning that in Lagos.... Please help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

WAEC To Conduct GCE Twice A Year With Effect From 2017 / 2019 UTME: JAMB's List Of Prohibited Items In Exam Hall / SEE How This Beautiful Girl Was Humiliated In Public [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.