Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,321 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? (4269 Views)

5 Classes Of Nigerians Who Play Important Roles But Are Hardly Recognised / Femi Kayode's Question To Lai Mohammed And Nigerians Reactions (pics) / Seun , Ban These Ghanians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by Blueboy0402: 2:00pm On Aug 10, 2012
While watching the burial service of the late president John Attah Mills on AIT, I closely observed that Ghanians speak relatively good English. I wanted to keep my observation to myself and mourn with the people of Ghana as they bid farewell to this man of peace. But as I reflect, I felt like sharing my observation with fellow nairalanders and also ask, between Ghanians and Nigerians who speak better English? Please give your sincere opinion.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by semid4lyfe(m): 5:29pm On Aug 10, 2012
Blueboy0402: While watching the burial service of the late president John Attah Mills on AIT, I closely observed that Ghanians speak relatively good English. I wanted to keep my observation to myself and mourn with the people of Ghana as they bid farewell to this man of peace. But as I reflect, I felt like sharing my observation with fellow nairalanders and also ask, between Ghanians and Nigerians who speak better English? Please give your sincere opinion.

You expect the people at the burial (top Government functionaries, business moguls etc with relatively good education) of a Ghanaian President to speak bad English cos I don't get it?

1 Like

Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by yamakuza: 10:37pm On Aug 10, 2012
semid4lyfe:

You expect the people at the burial (top Government functionaries, business moguls etc with relatively good education) of a Ghanaian President to speak bad English cos I don't get it?

guess he's used to political speeches from the likes of Patience and Patrick ...

1 Like

Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by toluxa1(m): 1:13am On Aug 11, 2012
You mean pronouncing
fork as fek
Bad as bed
Soldier as solje
Work as wek etc is good english?

Sometimes I wonder if they look up their pronunciations in the dictionary, funny thing is they so much believe its not correct way to pronounce.

2 Likes

Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by otumfour(m): 8:45pm On Jan 20, 2013
toluxa1: You mean pronouncing
fork as fek
Bad as bed
Soldier as solje
Work as wek etc is good english?

Sometimes I wonder if they look up their pronunciations in the dictionary, funny thing is they so much believe its not correct way to pronounce.

See this otoolo of liar, no Ghanaians don't pronounce fork as fek, it's a lie......lmao! @ the last soldier.... grin how else do u want it to be pronounced grin soldia? Ur confused dude.....

Answer this? How do Nigerians pronounce word and ward? grin cheesy.....
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by tpia5: 8:56pm On Jan 20, 2013
ghanaians speak better english.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by maggilove(f): 1:48pm On Jan 21, 2013
Sure, ghanians speak english better than nigerians do.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by GHmaanarh: 10:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
somtyms am lost for words wn dis naija ppl think their eng is beta! Arh! How laughable dat sounds, listen to de bbc nd tell me. U guys say docto instead of doctor, morch instead of much, com instead of come, nors instead of nurse, won instead of one, wier intead of where. I wonder how u evn conduct ur WASSCE english orals, am sure ghanaians help u to do dat!

2 Likes

Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by boron10(m): 11:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
Abrantie: Don't worry, our Ghana boys will revenge your loss in the finals.
This came from an educated Ghanaian.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by cigaricon(m): 8:20am On Mar 28, 2013
GHmaanarh: somtyms am lost for words wn dis naija ppl think their eng is beta! Arh! How laughable dat sounds, listen to de bbc nd tell me. U guys say docto instead of doctor, morch instead of much, com instead of come, nors instead of nurse, won instead of one, wier inte
ad of where. I wonder how u evn conduct ur WASSCE english orals, am sure ghanaians help u to do dat!
what is this guy saying?
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by gluv01(f): 11:53am On Mar 28, 2013
cigar icon:
what is this guy saying?

grin
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by gluv01(f): 11:59am On Mar 28, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Get a grip bro. they speak better english than us. If you even check on their country's website, they've been awarded as one of the countries in Africa that speak good english. I'm not extending this to the whole population but you should also know that majority of them compared to Nigerians speak well.
I'm seriously laughing here because if you know how the whites yab downgrade Niger's english ehn. You'll feel like drowning. Most times they don't have anywork than to sit down and yab scoff our accent.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by GHmaanarh: 10:39pm On Mar 28, 2013
gluv01:

Get a grip bro. they speak better english than us. If you even check on their country's website, they've been awarded as one of the countries in Africa that speak good english. I'm not extending this to the whole population but you should also know that majority of them compared to Nigerians speak well.
I'm seriously laughing here because if you know how the whites yab downgrade Niger's english ehn. You'll feel like drowning. Most times they don't have anywork than to sit down and yab scoff our accent.
Thank you man
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by chucky234(m): 12:39am On Mar 29, 2013
otumfour:

See this otoolo of liar, no Ghanaians don't pronounce fork as fek, it's a lie......lmao! @ the last soldier.... grin how else do u want it to be pronounced grin soldia? Ur confused dude.....

Answer this? How do Nigerians pronounce word and ward? grin cheesy.....
Can you pls show us how they pronounce "fork"
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by chucky234(m): 12:44am On Mar 29, 2013
GHmaanarh: somtyms am lost for words wn dis naija ppl think their eng is beta! Arh! How laughable dat sounds, listen to de bbc nd tell me. U guys say docto instead of doctor, morch instead of much, com instead of come, nors instead of nurse, won instead of one, wier intead of where. I wonder how u evn conduct ur WASSCE english orals, am sure ghanaians help u to do dat!
Where is charcoal Ghanian goon coming from,I have no doubt in my mind that you are a bi-product of same s3x marriage.
Imagine Ghanians who pronounce come as "cam",there is no such thing as cam in oral English.
Your mechanical accuracy is simply the worst I have come across in my entire life,pathetic discombobulated chronic goon.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by cigaricon(m): 2:33am On Mar 29, 2013
chucky234: Where is charcoal Ghanian goon coming from,I have no doubt in my mind that you are a bi-product of same s3x marriage.
Imagine Ghanians who pronounce come as "cam",there is no such thing as cam in oral English.
Your mechanical accuracy is simply the worst I have come across in my entire life,pathetic discombobulated chronic goon.
no mind them bro. People that pronounces DOCTOR as docter instead of dActor?
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by cigaricon(m): 2:38am On Mar 29, 2013
gluv01:

If this is so, then those whites are cowards. Why would they make jest of us whereby the language in question is not ours originally?
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by otumfour(m): 10:06am On Mar 29, 2013
gluv01:

Aww! Thnx for settling this matter sweet..... kiss
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by IleIfe2(m): 10:25am On Mar 29, 2013
As a kid, i was made to believe the Ghanaian pronunciation is better/correct.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by chucky234(m): 7:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
Ile-Ife:
As a kid, i was made to believe the Ghanaian pronunciation is better/correct.
Don't mind them jare,they were only trying to make Gold Coast relevant.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by gluv01(f): 9:06pm On Mar 29, 2013
GHmaanarh: Thank you man

I'm a gurl o plz grin

Correct that to 'miss'
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by gluv01(f): 9:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
chucky234: Can you pls show us how they pronounce "fork"

What's your own? Listen to them jare grin
But at least their accent is better...Not very much but just ok. It's not as explicit and local as ours
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by GHmaanarh: 12:52pm On Mar 30, 2013
gluv01:

What's your own? Listen to them jare grin
But at least their accent is better...Not very much but just ok. It's not as explicit and local as ours
Thank you ''Anago'' man for setting the record straight. Anago refers to a nigerian, it is not offensive at all.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by GHmaanarh: 1:02pm On Mar 30, 2013
gluv01:

I'm a gurl o plz grin

Correct that to 'miss'
oops sorry sweedy, thanks babe. I teach chemistry in an international sch here in gH, de majority of our students r nigerians nd so i noe wat am sayn. I was in univ of Ghana wid so many nigerians so i noe de naija english very well. One of our lectureres was a nigerian nd he admitted his english had improved markedly atfa coming to stay in gH.
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by gluv01(f): 2:53pm On Mar 30, 2013
GHmaanarh: oops sorry sweedy, thanks babe. I teach chemistry in an international sch here in gH, de majority of our students r nigerians nd so i noe wat am sayn. I was in univ of Ghana wid so many nigerians so i noe de naija english very well. One of our lectureres was a nigerian nd he admitted his english had improved markedly atfa coming to stay in gH.

OK...You know already then
Re: Ghanians And Nigerians, Who Speak Better English? by boron10(m): 3:41pm On Mar 30, 2013
Ghollywood English is as bad as Nollywood English. The only noticeable difference is the accent. Maybe I'll have to listen to Ghanaian Professor Speak before agreeing to the fact that they speak better English.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News Inec Chairman Jega Has Been Sacked And Replaced. / 37 Pictures That Prove Australia Is The Craziest / How Long Will It Take For My Parcel, Alixpress See Latest Tracking Message

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.