Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,190 members, 7,957,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:46 PM

Why People Dont Get Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why People Dont Get Jobs (36187 Views)

I Want To Help Five Nairalander Get Jobs Before May 10 (closed) / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. / Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Femicrux: 3:05pm On Sep 21, 2012
I have a question to ask recruitment advisors and those who have got experience in career hunting.

I intend to send an unsolicited job application to some organizations via courier. Who do i address the cover letter to? The Managing Director or the HRM? Remember it's an unsolicited application. Suggestions are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 7:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
I advise you to address it to the HR. They will be the first contact for job screning! The Managing director might be too busy to attend to your unsolicited app. Best of luck
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Femicrux: 10:41am On Sep 22, 2012
TEXZLEM: I advise you to address it to the HR. They will be the first contact for job screning! The Managing director might be too busy to attend to your unsolicited app. Best of luck

Thanks. I once heard a recruiter say unsolicited applications should be addressed to the MD. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Anyone else who has a contrary or supportive view?
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 1:11am On Sep 23, 2012
mevisbleek: Throughout this conversation everyone has been using the word CV, but the truth is that it is resume and not cv that most of us have. There is a difference between CV and resume (Dont ask me the difference, go and do ur research).
Actually Mr, its the samething. Resume is the American English version while CV is the British English version. And the English format in nigerian literature is British English. So therefore bros; Curriculum VItae is the appropriate word. Use the heading 'resume' while applying in a corporate organisation and you automatically disqualify urself grin . It might be overlooked sometimes though. Chao
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 1:15am On Sep 23, 2012
TEXZLEM: I advise you to address it to the HR. They will be the first contact for job screning! The Managing director might be too busy to attend to your unsolicited app. Best of luck

Okay, I second this!
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by tracy10: 1:07pm On Sep 23, 2012
In my opinion, I tink most graduates dnt get job cs dey cm out of sch hear pple say "dere ar no jobs in naija" and den join d bandwagon. Dis is nt to say dt sm graduates r nt seriously lookin for jobs and r eida unlucky or die God appointed job hasn't cm. Ok lemme xplain, I ws chattin wt a course mate whu told me she ws tired of stayin at home & she rily needs a job. I asked her places she has applied, she said most adverts ar fake and if "U dnt knw smone u cnt get a job" so automatically she has given up bt in her mind she "dey find job".

Befor u tink am one genius, I made a 2.1 in sch and for my mind, I sabi book until I wrote Nestle, kpmg,BAT, DIAMOND, PWC test and failed all of dem ooo LWKMD, I had to ask mysef, are dere rily no jobs or am I d one nt jus prepared to grab the few available jobs. I had to dust my gmats and get bak on my knees and all d 3tests I av written since den, I nt only passed bt got to d medical stage and wil resume smwhre soon, TO GOD ALONE b d glory.

My point is, for dose dt are genuinely studyin and applyin, kip faith, D end is here bt am sure dere sm clowns lik my course mate whu tink d jobs wil cm frm heaven, we all beta face reality.
GETTING a JOB IS A JOB (dts a must read for evry jobhunter).

Caveat; evryone has His own opinion so I stand correctd. Cheers.

4 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Kolkleen(m): 5:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
tracy10: In my opinion, I tink most graduates dnt get job cs dey cm out of sch hear pple say "dere ar no jobs in naija" and den join d bandwagon. Dis is nt to say dt sm graduates r nt seriously lookin for jobs and r eida unlucky or die God appointed job hasn't cm. Ok lemme xplain, I ws chattin wt a course mate whu told me she ws tired of stayin at home & she rily needs a job. I asked her places she has applied, she said most adverts ar fake and if "U dnt knw smone u cnt get a job" so automatically she has given up bt in her mind she "dey find job".

Chop knuckle jor, nice post.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 27, 2012
Am a graduate of physics with elect & am tired of sitting @ home...i dnt mind any job atleast 50k upward,incase u c any pls contact me on 08095907890...am down on my knees
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by gabriely2k(m): 3:03pm On Sep 28, 2012
for so many reasons, they don't get job. Though jobs are not easy to come by, some still get. How did you get your own? Thanks
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by kunlejazz(m): 12:40am On Sep 29, 2012
You know, having spent good time in the various kinds of work environments(blue collar,white collar, multinationals etc),i found out that the problem is more of 'unemployability' than en-employment. Majority of the graduates we have are actually not readily employable and that has nothing to do with ur GP. The ONLY thing, and I repeat the ONLY thing a 2.1 or First class does for you is that it guarantees you more interviews than some1 with a 2.2 or less. It DOESN'T guarantee u a job. Ask any 2.1 or first class who wishes to be sincere. As much as its very important to have good grades, I think many pple place so much emphasis on it that they end up not knowing jack about the real life.
Secondly, many people don't want to start small. They get an over-estimated impression of themselves after school and they think most of the jobs aren't worth it. Believe me, most of the time, if you risk taking those 'below ur class' jobs you'll see that you can't even do them well! Yes, as below ur class as they are, you still would not deliver. What this tells us is that, most times in this part of the world, passing through school makes us think we're worth much more than we actually do. So summarily, start with a job seemingly below ur worth. You may find out u aren't even good enuff for dt low job(which most times is the case). And lastly, you must know exactly the kind of job u want and work-study in preparation for it. I really have a lot to say about this topic so maybe I'll compose a well-structured note to address it.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by justdozie(m): 7:45pm On Sep 30, 2012
Jst edited my mail settings....thanks a milllion nairalanders!
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by nezer16: 4:41am On Oct 03, 2012
Good morning NLand, pls is this outfit good for an interview in a corporate organisation: a white shirt on dark navy blue trousers,black shoe and either red or black tie without a suit. Pls i need ur advice especially on the tie. Thanks
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by cj4someone(m): 11:38am On Oct 03, 2012
One of the often overlooked reasons why people don't get employed most times is because of lack of the requisite skills for the job.

Sometimes, it's as simple as knowing Microsoft Word, Excel or Powerpoint as the case may be. Because businesses, corporate organizations, NGOs, Government parastatals, etc increasingly rely on these programs to advance their operations.

Having competent knowledge or expertise in the use of a good number of these programs, therefore is a wonderful investment you will ever make in yourself — be you a student, a corps member, a job seeker, or a worker.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by omolola123(m): 5:45pm On Oct 03, 2012
VACANCY
DATA FIELD COLLECTOR
TO WORK IN CERTAIN PLACES IN LAGOS, AND GET PAID WEEKLY FOR EVERY JOB DONE ,WE PAY THE MINIMUM OF 10000 THOUSAND NAIRA WEEKLY.
WE WANT PEOPLE WHO CAN MOVE FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER , BUT YOU ARE NOT SELLING ANYTHING TO ANYBODY,
IF YOU ARE THE LAZY TYPE WHO IS LOOKING FOR OFFICE WORK DON’T CALL THIS NUMBER, WE DON’T WANT LAZY PEOPLE.

MR SAMUEL 08131170050, 07034271596
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by omolola123(m): 5:46pm On Oct 03, 2012
IS THEREW
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by stryda(m): 9:09am On Oct 05, 2012
I have been reading and I have a couple of things I want to add. First of all, I don't think there is anything wrong sending your cv from a blackberry, the whole world now is a global market and everything is done on the go. I mean blackberry is a smartphone. It is meant for sending and receiving emails, you can also type word documents, excel documents and make slides with youer blackberry. I mean anyone that says you were wrong for using a blackberry to send your cv is saying the business man is wrong for using a blackberry to handle his business.
Secondly, only have education degree without any form of ict knowledge is another factor.when people hear microsoft office, they only think it is to type document and create slides.its much more. Read this and see what I mean. Doing more with microsoft office http:///bxt2zZRn. I mean get yourself familiar with the computer. You go to a job test it is now computerised. You go for an interview, they ask what do you know about computer.
Also, if you are in the computer discipline, you must also get certification and training to support your degree. You can check out this as well. www.quadclover.com.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by oweilah: 2:29pm On Oct 10, 2012
Hi pls kindly send ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ ur email i ll like 2 ask u few questions....pls thanks
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 12:41pm On Oct 15, 2012
AjanleKoko: As interesting as this thread is, it hardly does justice to the topic.
Maybe the thread topic should be changed to 'Why Nigerian College Graduates don't get jobs'.

Reason is, there are a lot of reasons why people in general are not getting jobs. The most paramount is, there are few jobs available, compared to the seeking population.

There is an irony though. More white-collar jobs, as opposed to blue-collar jobs, are being created. Apart from the oil sector, very few blue-collar jobs are being created in Nigeria, as a result of the collapse in manufacturing. Most corporations have outsourced their facility operations, so they don't really have mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc, on site. And nobody is paying attention to that. Even in logistics, the likes of Dangote are asking for college grads to drive his trucks. It's kind of absurd, considering that you only need a school certificate to train as a pilot or aircraft engineer.

I think you have a point, but the thread was supposed to be an excerpts of a course that we offer. we also handled the issue of restricting oneself to white collar jobs, and the concept of multiple streams of income... I hope this answers ur question
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2012
nezer16: Good morning NLand, pls is this outfit good for an interview in a corporate organisation: a white shirt on dark navy blue trousers,black shoe and either red or black tie without a suit. Pls i need ur advice especially on the tie. Thanks

1) Yes, it is, plus the belt must be the same color as the shoe. I would go with a red tie and a tie clip. Pls let the tie not be too slim. Also quite a pity about the jacket, you can get a two button navy blue jacket at "bend down" at Yaba or Marina to match the trousers for about N700-N1000 and none will be the wiser.. Pls test it and when you fold your elbow, the jacket should still reach your wrist bone..

2) Also do a bit of research about the organisation and department interviewing you. Use the internet to search or call at their office beforehand as a customer and get to know all their products by heart and the different ad campaigns.

3) Best of luck.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 12:49pm On Oct 15, 2012
oweilah: Hi pls kindly send ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ ur email i ll like 2 ask u few questions....pls thanks

workaholix@consultant.com
or 08083650471
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 12:59pm On Oct 15, 2012
Femicrux:

Thanks. I once heard a recruiter say unsolicited applications should be addressed to the MD. I guess it's different strokes for different folks. Anyone else who has a contrary or supportive view?

My strategy would be for you to look at a problem that you know the organisation has, and rather than send an application, do a term paper on a possible solution. For instance, as a programmer, you detected dome errors with MTN's billing system, you can rewrite a new one using java which addresses that problem, then do a write-up on the advantages of your new billing system, highlighting features. You can then go to MTN and find who the Head of DP or IT is, and his designation, and send him your proposal, copy the MD, copy HRM. Neatly handwritten at the back, attach your application.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by comsy(m): 10:11am On Oct 16, 2012
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 18, 2012
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by kambah(m): 11:41am On Oct 19, 2012
i have bn hearing unemployment palaver ever since my primary sch days, bt my advise to our youths is dat they should forget white colar jobs. Personaly i started wt small shop today to god be d glory.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mention The Worst Company To Work For In Nigeria, & Give Reasons. / Technical Aid Corps 2012/2014 Recruitment Interview / 'Ko Bata Fun Egbe': Will You Pack C.Ronaldo's Shoes For #5million Weekly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.