Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,378 members, 7,954,536 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:33 PM

Why People Dont Get Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why People Dont Get Jobs (36181 Views)

I Want To Help Five Nairalander Get Jobs Before May 10 (closed) / Yes! People Still Get Jobs Without Connection. / Reasons New Graduates Cant Get Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jarus(m): 9:45am On Aug 22, 2012
Signing in
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by AjanleKoko: 10:09am On Aug 22, 2012
As interesting as this thread is, it hardly does justice to the topic.
Maybe the thread topic should be changed to 'Why Nigerian College Graduates don't get jobs'.

Reason is, there are a lot of reasons why people in general are not getting jobs. The most paramount is, there are few jobs available, compared to the seeking population.

There is an irony though. More white-collar jobs, as opposed to blue-collar jobs, are being created. Apart from the oil sector, very few blue-collar jobs are being created in Nigeria, as a result of the collapse in manufacturing. Most corporations have outsourced their facility operations, so they don't really have mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc, on site. And nobody is paying attention to that. Even in logistics, the likes of Dangote are asking for college grads to drive his trucks. It's kind of absurd, considering that you only need a school certificate to train as a pilot or aircraft engineer.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by crackhouse(m): 10:17am On Aug 22, 2012
I don't know why the motivational speakers always think that life can be programmed to work as the person wishes or can even be written and played like a movie script as if man can make anybody he meets to dance to his tune or agree with whatever he says.

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by obi123: 10:26am On Aug 22, 2012
Jobexpert: There are many reasons why many applicants dont get jobs and we are going to treat them one by one. But to make the messages short, I will handle the discussion as a stage by stage thing.

Imagine getting an application with an attachment and all that it says is

Imagine that you are dealing with vacancies for about say 20 positions, and your email box was choked up with 1500 emails applying for the job, what would you do with an email like the above?

Sometimes, we eliminate about 1200 straightaway who did not apply but want us to open the attachment and start reading so that we can decide for them what they should be applying for...so quite a number are eliminated not because they dont qualify but because they are lazy.

LESSON 1: ALWAYS APPLY PROPERLY BY EMAIL, INCLUDING A SUBJECT AND MSG SUMMARIZING UR APPLICATION, IF POSSIBLE ALSO SEND A HARDCOPY TO THE OFFICE ADDRESS PREFERABLY BY HAND

A simple sample cover letter that should accompany your CV

Dear ....(include a name if you have a name or Sir, Madam will do),

Please find attached my recent CV in application for the role of ......I am quite keen to further my career in ..... thus my interest in this role, and having looked at the job description, i feel that the requirements are tailored to my competencies.
The key strengths that I possess for success in this position include:Do a quick summary of your strengths,try and relate it with the job requirements for example i have the ability to work within a team as well as cross-team,i possess good Customer service skills and accounting experience as proven in my last job as ......, i am able to generate reports using ..... etc YOU SHOULD NOT REPEAT YOUR CV )
I see this as a fine opportunity for me to apply the skills, experience and knowledge gained in my previous jobs to this role if given the opportunity.I'm available immediately and would be more than happy to discuss any parts of my CV if needed.Thank you for your consideration

yours sincerely/kind regards/Best regards,

Your name,
Full address,
phone number,
Email address,
LinkedIn Profile URL(if you have one)
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by nsiadi: 11:04am On Aug 22, 2012
Jobexpert:

I think generally, an application should impress the person receiving it that you are responsible.
a driver cant just drive up to my door with a truckload of soft drinks or sand, park and walk away without
greeting anybody or explaining what the sand or soft drink is meant for and expect my boys to download it for him.

If you dont put any proper statement on your BB or I-phone to explain what you are applying for and where you saw the advert,
all that your phone will do is advertise MTN or Etisalat, and that wont do at all..If you dont know how to use your BB
very well to look responsible, then dont use it for job applications.

Also, not all employers will appreciate that you already own a BB, depending on the type of job and level at which you are
applying. They may see it as sign that you are ostentatious, a probable embezzler or that you are going to be spending business
time on facebook.

I agree that this kind of thinking is unfair, but it may lose you a good job if they think so,
especially if it seems you cant even take time to send an application properly.

My tot exactly
Most employers need 99% devotion
They avoid distractions
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by spendogram: 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2012
If you are not getting jobs you need to know what is wrong? Two things can be wrong.

1. If you are not being invited for aptitude tests/interviews it is because your application/CV is just not right. Fix your application/CV.

2. If you are often called for tests/interviews but you still don't get the job offers it is because other candidates who's CVs are similar to yours are assumed to be more suitable than you for the job OR the company is too poor to pay you because of the amount of wages you are requesting. Show the interviewer that you are the best candidate for the job and ask for the right amount.

Simple as it sounds most people do not make it to stage 2. They are filtered out right from stage 1 (application/CV).

If you love sports especially football you can picture it this way:
Shooting stars football club wants to bring in 5 footballers to join their team. They publish it in newspaper. 15,000 people applied.Which 5 will they pick?
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 12:42pm On Aug 22, 2012
Abobi...me I no submit CV to any Employer oh...

Na my Chairmo I submit CV to...

Na house I kak when employment letter come via e-mail...

Na when I start work I submit CV to the employer...

A typical Naija situation

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by wizard01(m): 1:48pm On Aug 22, 2012
Nice one
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Coldfaya(m): 4:41pm On Aug 22, 2012
loladeking: "Sent from my BlackBerry®
Smartphone, from Etisalat. Enjoy
high speed internet service with
Etisalat easy net, available at all our
experience centres"

Please people should try and comprehend further. For one I doubt the op meant the signature being present was a bad factor. What I inderstood was that if you applied for a job by pushing your cv to the address without any message in the mail, the only thing the person opening the mail would see in your email body is

"Sent from my BlackBerry®
experience centres"

That's what the op meant..OP,am I correct?? Personally, I've written about 8 aptitude tests. I applied for each and every one of them using my blackberry etisalat smartphone...lolz..what a coincidence shey?? I am hoping this month or next month I get called for my second and final interview in one of the places I passed the aptitude test. My observation is this,when I applied to jobs simply by attaching my CV and send, I received no feedback. But in life, change is the only constant thing. You change positively only if you observe the right things, which I did and with research here and there( I mainly use my bb to research, learn and download apps for my pc and movies,instead of wasting the megabyte pinging), I learnt how to write cover letter and also learnt to tailor it to a specific employer. Ever since then I have received aptitude test invite from kpmg,nestle,consobrew,P/G,nestle,mobil,chevron and some others....one thing I also did was to change the format of my CV and that helped a lot.
The thing is am sure I have applied to all the companies in nigeria,both the registered and unregistered companies(even the semi-registered ones) because no matter how hard or discouraging the nigerian condition of always sending out cv seems, I inject positivity in myself and tailor out a cover letter and cv for a particular job application.
Now to the part I want to talk about. One of the numerous reasons we don't get jobb in nigeria is really because a lot of underground runs do go on. 4 months to the end of my service, I passed the kpmg aptitude test and was told I would be called for an interview. That was my first ever aptitude test and to say I was happy would be an understatement. I was over the moon with thoughts of getting a job immediately after service, not minding all the transportation money I spent to lagos from my place of service. Can you believe till this day I have heard nothing from kpmg? I now heard, from a very very very very reliable source that the department I applied for,candidates have already been accepted in there and its now filled up so they didn't know what to do with me(and one other friend of mine)...underground runs...same thing with nestle,mobil and chevron aptitude test I wrote..over how many months now and nothing has been heard. I now strongly believe underground runs are taking place,shortchanging us that naturally followed due process. Please, this is my opinion. I stand to be corrected.
Still, I never give up. All this are challenges meant to be conquered. Right now as am typing this, my status is still jobless graduate and all I have to my name is didty naira. Am planning to start teaching when schools open and also to explore my ICT skills. However Am so positive and prayerful I will get something very soon. I went to school and I excelled for over 18 years to build a career. And build it I WILL

Bro m really impressed with all u'v written here. I'v sent my CV to several places with no response. Since u r good can I share my CV n copies of some cover letters I'v sent so we make constructive criticisms?? I'd rili appreciate. Pls add 25D9ACDD
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Eduvine(m): 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2012
Those of you who have they kernel crack for them by a benevolent spirit should not laugh at others. People dont get job because of the huge capital flight in naija and also embezzlement. And stop posing like a thin god. How are we sure you are not jobless.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by mtzion: 7:56am On Aug 23, 2012
You can also check this tip:

Getting a job in Nigeria can be likened to a miracle of some sort.

Here is the basic process to find a job. If you find a full time job, then you can expect to work for about 40 hours a week at least. Know what type of job(s) you might be interested in and qualified for. The basic process is as follows.

Make finding a job your job. Expect to devote a considerable amount of time to this
Don’t give up; find employment (e.g. searching on CvShore) and know what type of employment you’re willing to accept (e.g. working at Shell or working as a software engineer at Etisalat)
Create a resume and cover letter
Be able to fill out a job application
Fill out job applications and/or send in resumes and cover letters
Get interviews
Go to interviews
Accept employment
Remember, don’t give up. Make finding a job your job.

Follow this link to see more posts
http://www.cvshore.com/forum/jobs-group7/jobs-forum7
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 23, 2012
Cold faya:

Bro m really impressed with all u'v written here. I'v sent my CV to several places with no response. Since u r good can I share my CV n copies of some cover letters I'v sent so we make constructive criticisms?? I'd rili appreciate. Pls add 25D9ACDD
no problem. i would rather give you my email address because i really don't ping much. its loladeking@yahoo.com.and am not scared about dislaying my mail on a public forum. i do know how to block contacts.
just wanted sharing something which i believe is very very important. i was expecting a mail from one interview i did last week Thursday. i was confident about my show of intelligence and skills. better yet, i was extremely prayerful and hopeful. i was even the one that called over 5 of my friends and told them to make themselves available for the interview, here in ibadan. so you can imagine how i felt when they told me they recieved mails from the recruiting companies telling them to proceed to the next step. i checked my mail over and over, but i saw nothing. to say i was sad was an understatement. i almost got sick yesterday. however, positivity is my keyword. i talked myself into believe of moving on, calmed myself, yabbed myself sef and then sat down to programme a little,even played game sef.though once in a while, the thought would enter my head and i would feel real bad, but i still smiled and put hope in me.
now this the part i want to bring to the attention of all job seekers,especially those that say they send out over a hundred application and get none. so in my usual method of reflecting and observing, i just decided to check my mail again, particularly my spam folder. LO and BEHOLD, the mil was sitting right there. and to think i wanted to empty the spam folder out of another annoyance. checking the spam folder further, i also saw some important messages that shouldnt have made it to spam. how did it get there? my advice; guys and job seekers should please check there spam folders. as always, i stand to be corrected.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by spikesC(m): 11:58am On Aug 23, 2012
@loladeking; thank you my brother. I always tell them, your spam box is still your email box. Emails get there totally by mistake, a computer cannot accurately distinguish a spam mail from a genuine one because it doesn't know what you're expecting or even interested in. I don't mind deleting 30 emails from my yahoo spam box everyday, infact its become a routine. I like seeing that favourjama sending me those love messages there grin
It really makes my day. And other few others constantly bombarding my spam box. I don't even care posting my yahoo mail address online, its already a free box, everyone who can use google can hack your yahoo box.

Another advice on emails, this might not be important to you but it is important to most recruiters. Its better to use ajekunle.ciroma@yahoo.com than using ajekunle4love or even ajekunle2004. It shows professionalism and helps to sell one self.

Job search in Nigeria is a big issue, i would suggest some people to go into sole proprietorship, learn some skills...it always go a very long way. Especially when they look for experiences.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by AK481(m): 6:21pm On Aug 23, 2012
hello job expert i ll like you to amend my cv,if there is any misarrangement.......my email address is tommyhycinth@yahoo.com,pls send me your email address so i can send my cv to you thanks.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by oriste(f): 9:15am On Aug 24, 2012
here are common errors that can be addressed with common methods that will make you EMPLOYABLE.
Employ-ability – it is a stage where a youth has the skills to seize any opportunity that comes. It is always better to be prepared to meet an opportunity than being unprepared to meet one.

These common methods are secrets not available to everyone thus: CONFIDENTIAL. Gogoro Projects is holding a one day JOB CONFIDENTIAL seminar in Lagos, Nigeria. We will expose you to winning streaks that will guarantee your success in securing job.

1. Get CV Templates of your career choice and how to use them in writing eye-catching CV
2. Secrets to passing Aptitude Test easily
3. Interview Success Tips
4. Career Consulting (the HOWS, WHERE and WHO of career)
5. Introduction to Job Providers
6. Access to our JOB CONFIDENTIAL network program where you get linked with local & international recruiting firms for jobs.
7. Get the chance to get a job right after the seminar

8. Over-view training of professional course, tailored-to-fit your career

Date: 31st of August 2012
Time: 9.am
Fee: FREE

Go to www.gogoroprojects.com and o to the contact MENU and TEXT NAME, PHONE NO. &EMAIL or call 07045596882 FOR SEAT RESERVATION (30 SEATS AVAILABLE)
Venue: 56, Opebi Road, Suite301 Opebi-Ikeja Lagos, Nigeria
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Everest9(m): 10:54pm On Aug 24, 2012
that is how life is
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by mevisbleek: 10:31pm On Aug 28, 2012
The blame should not be placed on the Nigerian govt for not providing jobs, it should be placed on us (GRADUATES) who do not know how to churn out and exceptional resume. Throughout this conversation everyone has been using the word CV, but the truth is that it is resume and not cv that most of us have. There is a difference between CV and resume (Dont ask me the difference, go and do ur research).

I think resume writting and Networking should be taught in our universities. How would someone send an attachment to a hiring manager without adding some form of intro to the email. Alot of job require cover letter do we really add a cover letter as required by the job?

As a hiring manager, an exceptional resume would have Profile instead of Objective. I want to see accomplishments not only duties: Eg "Orchestrated the addition of a major account that catapulted my branch's profit by 35%". i dont wanna see "Opened accounts for clients". Below is an example of a Profile:

"Dynamic, results driven sales strategist with 4+ year's record of achievement and demonstrated success driving multi-million Naira revenue growth while providing visionary sales leadership in highly comepetitive markets. Solid track record of securing key clients and increasing product distribution to grow market share. Tenacious in building new business , securing customer loyalty and combining business acumen with innate leadership abilities to recruit, build and train top-performing sales team" (Micheal, 2012).

I dont wanna see some creepy obejective: " looking for a company where i can apply myself and grow" (Rubbish).

If possible illustrate ur accomplishments with a graph. I have seen a graph inculcated in a resume and that tickled my fancy. Your resume has to be different.

The key to getting a job is and an excellent resume (tailoring/tweaking your resume to match the job requirement). God bless Nigeria.

If u require FREE resume critique send ur resume to mahoganyboss@gmail.com. Please i dont give jobs nor charge for this service. IT IS FREE FREE FREE FREE FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

2 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by mcstan18(m): 12:33am On Sep 01, 2012
loladeking: "Sent from my BlackBerry®
experience centres"

Please people should try and comprehend further. For one I doubt the op meant the signature being present was a bad factor. What I inderstood was that if you applied for a job by pushing your cv to the address without any message in the mail, the only thing the person opening the mail would see in your email body is

"Sent from my BlackBerry®
experience centres"

That's what the op meant..OP,am I correct?? Personally, I've written about 8 aptitude tests. I applied for each and every one of them using my blackberry etisalat smartphone...lolz..what a coincidence shey?? I am hoping this month or next month I get called for my second and final interview in one of the places I passed the aptitude test. My observation is this,when I applied to jobs simply by attaching my CV and send, I received no feedback. But in life, change is the only constant thing. You change positively only if you observe the right things, which I did and with research here and there( I mainly use my bb to research, learn and download apps for my pc and movies,instead of wasting the megabyte pinging), I learnt how to write cover letter and also learnt to tailor it to a specific employer. Ever since then I have received aptitude test invite from kpmg,nestle,consobrew,P/G,nestle,mobil,chevron and some others....one thing I also did was to change the format of my CV and that helped a lot.
The thing is am sure I have applied to all the companies in nigeria,both the registered and unregistered companies(even the semi-registered ones) because no matter how hard or discouraging the nigerian condition of always sending out cv seems, I inject positivity in myself and tailor out a cover letter and cv for a particular job application.
Now to the part I want to talk about. One of the numerous reasons we don't get jobb in nigeria is really because a lot of underground runs do go on. 4 months to the end of my service, I passed the kpmg aptitude test and was told I would be called for an interview. That was my first ever aptitude test and to say I was happy would be an understatement. I was over the moon with thoughts of getting a job immediately after service, not minding all the transportation money I spent to lagos from my place of service. Can you believe till this day I have heard nothing from kpmg? I now heard, from a very very very very reliable source that the department I applied for,candidates have already been accepted in there and its now filled up so they didn't know what to do with me(and one other friend of mine)...underground runs...same thing with nestle,mobil and chevron aptitude test I wrote..over how many months now and nothing has been heard. I now strongly believe underground runs are taking place,shortchanging us that naturally followed due process. Please, this is my opinion. I stand to be corrected.
Still, I never give up. All this are challenges meant to be conquered. Right now as am typing this, my status is still jobless graduate and all I have to my name is didty naira. Am planning to start teaching when schools open and also to explore my ICT skills. However Am so positive and prayerful I will get something very soon. I went to school and I excelled for over 18 years to build a career. And build it I WILL

Inasmuch as all you've said here sound pitiable, I must assert that there are companies where standards can never be compromised(kpmg for one). This isn't because I've recently made it through all recruitment stages, far from it. Even if I hadn't, I'd still dough my cap for those guys.
More often than not, people tend to believe they've got no chance whatsoever to get on a company's payroll if they've got no helper within the caucus. I beg to differ! Hardwork(which you seem to be fully indulged in), patience and the God factor most importantly are certainly goina be handy in this treasure hunt.

#my 1cent N5000 coin#

1 Like

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Abujafood: 11:59am On Sep 03, 2012
Op,

Getting jobs these days is becoming harder apart from the fact that jobs are scarce, most job seekers don't know how to search for jobs in Nigeria. Many of them fail to realise that looking for a job is similar to marketing a product. The more attractive a product is, the easier it becomes to sell same too with job search.

Learn about job search tips by going online to do your research but also by learning from others who have jobs how they got theirs!
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by phattyma(f): 12:19pm On Sep 03, 2012
Job-hunting, to me, simply means selling yourself. And one of the ways of doing that is your Resume. The job market today is highly competitive and you need to stand out. There are many sites that provide guidelines on how to organise a Resume. We all need to visit them and make our Resumes look more 'appetizing'.
...phattyma..com
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by disc20: 7:07pm On Sep 03, 2012
I thank God for this forum and it is a place we can iron out our views with the sole aim of solving them not just to try making a mountain from a mold hill. Lets be polite and talk about this issue. I read some interesting points raised by some nairalander and I commend you for all contributions. There is no Jobs in Nigeria, right? but, ofcourse, people are getting jobs on daily basis. So what are they doing? It is long legs that all matters. My people its high time we looked into this matter with keen interest. lets not be very good at talking, lets rise up and do something. If we are looking for jobs,
1. lets know how to look for jobs well and apply same to them.
2. Lets try and know where jobs are hiding
3. Lets know the basic of headhunting
4. Lets know if we are eligible to a particular job post or not
5. Lets learn how to package our selves for the job in terms of
(a) writing a winning application letter
(b) Preparation of CV
(c) Preparing for the Interview
For detail of Job Search tips, follow: [url]http://www.latestjobsinfo.com/search/label/Job%20Search%20Tips[/url]

Again, I want to ask? What if your creator did not create you to work a job?
I absolutely know that it is not every body that will work a job to earn salary. What if you are in this category? Lol grin, my friends, better think well, because YOU may be a job creator and employ people. Some gigantic companies started small, make a name list and research on how they started you will agree with me. Why not think of something and do. Myself, I am a graduate of Human Physiology, I finished 3yrs ago but I av never applied for a job but now I am doing my MSc degree financed by my involvement in small and medium scale business. Who knows if i will work with my degrees. Just make a research my brother and sister and you may stumble upon a business that can catapult you to a financially free zone. For the purpose of helping others, I compiled a long list of small and medium scale business you can start today! Do not be surprised with the result if you venture into one
Check out List of small Business: [url]http://www.latestjobsinfo.com/search/label/Self%20Employment%20Tips[/url]

Thank you for reading
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Jobexpert(m): 3:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
pembisco: Why we dnt get jobs is because there are no jobs...simple

LOL.. I cant quite agree with any human being who says that there are no jobs. Just open Tuesday Guardian every
week and you will see advertisements from private companies. Do you know that with innovation, you can convert a
need to a job? For example, there is a bakery near my house. After a discussion with an applicant, I linked her to go there and provided N29,000 surety for her to collect bread on credit, and all she does is drive from the bakery distributing bread house-to-house inside the estate, and she makes N60 per loaf. Per trip she does about 100 loafs and that's an income of N180k per month.

There are jobs, if you want to work.. but none of you wants the jobs that are available... BTW my phone number is 08083650471.. Call me, but be ready to work..and its not free...

4 Likes

Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by Ogundale(m): 12:14am On Sep 05, 2012
You can say that again naija is a replica per se at op it never an obligation the whole point is daft. Goodluck.
Re: Why People Dont Get Jobs by phattyma(f): 7:27am On Sep 05, 2012
Morning people, like I said earlier, the Resume is very important. Asides that, we need to acquire the necessary certifications to have an edge.
Meanwhile to get news on the major happenings around, you could visit deucesdeuces..com and feel free to drop your comments...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Technical Aid Corps 2012/2014 Recruitment Interview / 'Ko Bata Fun Egbe': Will You Pack C.Ronaldo's Shoes For #5million Weekly? / Self Employment Opportunity: Transcribing For A Living In Nigeria 2020 Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.