Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! (2178 Views)

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Understanding Atheism. Nairaland atheists C'mon! / Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 3:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
Yes, I am an atheist myself and I stand by this statement. There are atheists on Nairaland that inspire me and there are some that are just plain arrogant cowards.

Before I go on about the cowardice of some of my fellow atheists, I want to make sure that everyone knows that I am not claiming to be innocent myself. At times, I do get abusive when insulted or trolled. I also do not believe in making threads in the religion section that are off limits to people outside a particular religion. I also want to congratulate and cheer on the reasonable atheists who are consistent and not afraid to speak out on various religious issues.

Now, there is this issue of the intolerance in the Islam section which some atheists here avoid talking about. I will not name names but the cowards know themselves. The arrogant+cowardly atheists choose to ignore talking about islam but are ready to bash christianity from left to right. The arrogance comes in when I see these same atheists fluffing their intellectual feathers and talking about philosophy, logic and basic science. While it is nice to talk about philosophy and logic and stuff, a) anybody that reads a book on such issues can freaking do it and b)we should not overlook practical issues affecting us to focus on mostly theoretical ideals

We are mostly Nigerians on a Nigerian website called Nairaland and so, let us not lose focus on the practical issues facing us as a group of people. Islam is one of the main issues. Muslims have a right to their religion. However, their moderators/posters do not have the right to censor fair criticism and a right to be treated differently. How some atheists feel proud of themselves by only talking about certain problems with christianity while choose to remain silent on similar or worse problems in Islam. Such inconsistency, hypocrisy and cowardice is disgusting. There is a clear cut case of intolerance from the islam section where simple comments are banned. An inside joke between two people was banned by the moderator because he felt that it was insulting islam. The joke was about a funny comment on the thread (relevant to the topic) and did not mention islam. How can someone ban what he has no idea about? Furthermore, the Islam section itself is a paragon of intolerance- why should islam be treated differently from other religions? I guess that Seun's hands are tied on this issue (due to the threat) but we (both christians and atheists) have the avenues to talk about it. We should consistently remind everyone how the Islam section itself is not a good thing for the image of Nigerian muslims, in my humble opinion.

The funny part is that there is anonymity on the internet, yet some people remain cowards to speak the truth on the internet. I wonder what this means in real life for such people,.

Disclaimer;
1) I am not attacking all atheists. I am complaining about only the cowardly hypocrites amongst us. Congrats and my best wishes to the atheists that are not cowards and are always ready to speak the truth.

2) I am not calling on people to attack islam. Muslims have the right to their religion. What I am complaining about is intolerance and the silence on intolerance coming from the Islam section.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
Fear of fatwa.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 3:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
diluminati: Fear of fatwa.

How can one issue a fatwa on a nameless and faceless person? hmm?
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by cyrexx: 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
if nairaland owner himself is afraid of real-life islamic fatwa (actual death threats)

dont be surprised if some nairaland posters are afraid of online islamic fatwa (unjust ban and unfair censorship/intolerance)

infact, i wont be surprised if this thread is moved to islamic section.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by plaetton: 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
Generally, religion is a big destructive force in our Society.
I find it almost impossible to engage a moslem on any issue on religion, especiaaly if you hold anti-moslem viewpoint.
I do give christians credit for their ability to debate issues that contradict their beliefs. Islam is a totally different ball game.
Much more pernicous, much more mentally debilitating and much more intolerrant of contrary opinon.
There is no christian nation in the world where one can be killed for holding an anti-christian viewpoint.

The typical athiests does not need to single out islam for criticism. Islam does a good job of showcasing and advertising its destructive potentials.
While its a lot easier to lift a christian from the dark pit of religious delusions through reason, its almost impossible to rescue a moslem because , in Islam, the individual's entire personality is completely subsumed.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 4:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
cyrexx: if nairaland owner himself is afraid of real-life islamic fatwa (actual death threats)

dont be surprised if some nairaland posters are afraid of online islamic fatwa (unjust ban and unfair censorship/intolerance)

infact, i wont be surprised if this thread is moved to islamic section.

You have a point, no doubt.

Intolerance is not stopped with cowardice but with the truth
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 4:41pm On Aug 12, 2012
plaetton: Generally, religion is a big destructive force in our Society.
I find it almost impossible to engage a moslem on any issue on religion, especiaaly if you hold anti-moslem viewpoint.
I do give christians credit for their ability to debate issues that contradict their beliefs. Islam is a totally different ball game.
Much more pernicous, much more mentally debilitating and much more intolerrant of contrary opinon.
There is no christian nation in the world where one can be killed for holding an anti-christian viewpoint.

The typical athiests does need to single out islam for criticism. Islam does a good job of showcasing and advertising its destructive potentials.
While its a lot easier to lift a christian from the dark pit of eligious delusions through reason, its almost impossible to rescue a moslem because , in Islam, the individual's entire personality is completely subsumed.

Great point. I agree until the last part. It is not almost impossible to rescue a muslim. It is only harder because of it's totally submissive nature and death penalty for apostacy. I believe that many muslims are converted to atheists by the arguments on NL but many are afraid to confess. See Avicenna's case- He even had to get a new ID so that no one would know who he was/is
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by cyrexx: 5:15pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You have a point, no doubt.

Intolerance is not stopped with cowardice but with the truth

these guys are so blindfolded to the truth, almost hopelessly.

they will rather kill and be killed than see anything as true that is against their religion.

Islam has the strongest mind control mechanisms among all religions, in my opinion.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2012
cyrexx:

they will rather kill and be killed than see anything as true that is against their religion.

Islam has the strongest mind control mechanisms among all religions, in my opinion.

The thing is that they cant kill on the internet. I will forever be a thorn in the side of any religious bigot.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by kokabiel(f): 6:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
@OP is right for the most part - Leaving a lasting positive legacy for Humanity should be the core focus. Anyone who is obsessed with Religion and bases his/her opinions on the basis of Over-zealous, un-intelligent and deeply disturbed individuals or groups of people who choose to interpret a holy-book in a manner that causes harm to general society, should consider joining them, being Religious does not make you Righteous or Morally Upright, it adds nothing but takes away your humanity.

A lot of atheist blame Religion for the ills of the world, it is like Gun Control in the US, Guns don't kill people; people kill people
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by plaetton: 6:30pm On Aug 12, 2012
kokabiel: @OP is right for the most part - Leaving a lasting positive legacy for Humanity should be the core focus. Anyone who is obsessed with Religion and bases his/her opinions on the basis of Over-zealous, un-intelligent and deeply disturbed individuals or groups of people who choose to interpret a holy-book in a manner that causes harm to general society, should consider joining them, being Religious does not make you Righteous or Morally Upright, it adds nothing but takes away your humanity.

A lot of atheist blame Religion for the ills of the world, it is like Gun Control in the US, Guns don't kill people; people kill people

Great points.
But gun do kill people. lol
If you introduce lots of guns to your community, people will start getting killed by gunshots.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by alienvirus: 6:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
We call it bad belle. Islam for special people. For people of Jannatu firdaos not for and arrogant boasters
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by kokabiel(f): 6:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
plaetton:

Great points.
But gun do kill people. lol
If you introduce lots of guns to your community, people will start getting killed by gunshots.

Only by the groups and individuals who do not respect Life
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by manmustwac(m): 6:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
I don't even bother with posting in the islamic section coz its usually christians handing me leaflets or stopping me in the road trying to convert me I just focuss on them.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 6:57pm On Aug 12, 2012
manmustwac: I don't even bother with posting in the islamic section coz its usually christians handing me leaflets or stopping me in the road trying to convert me I just focuss on them.

What a silly excuse. I rather someone hand me leaflets than another person killing me for daring to have a muslim girlfriend or voicing my opinions about religion.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by manmustwac(m): 7:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

What a silly excuse. I rather someone hand me leaflets than another person killing me for daring to have a muslim girlfriend or voicing my opinions about religion.

So u class me as an arrogant coward then? smiley
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 7:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
manmustwac: So u class me as an arrogant coward then? smiley

Probably. One should be consistent with his beliefs if you bash intolerance from christians in one section for something, you should also bash similar intolerance from muslims.

It depends on how you post
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by manmustwac(m): 7:59pm On Aug 12, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Probably. One should be consistent with his beliefs if you bash intolerance from christians in one section for something, you should also bash similar intolerance from muslims.

It depends on how you post
OK I will try visit Mecca and see what its like down there and if that maclunji bans me angry angry IF HE BANS ME......... angry angry angry Well lets not go there.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 8:04pm On Aug 12, 2012
manmustwac: OK I will try visit Mecca and see what its like down there and if that maclunji bans me angry angry IF HE BANS ME......... angry angry angry Well lets not go there.

lmao.....
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 12, 2012
manmustwac: I don't even bother with posting in the islamic section coz its usually christians handing me leaflets or stopping me in the road trying to convert me I just focuss on them.

At last, a fellow atheist has seen through the nauseating excuse that is the above.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by tobechi74: 7:57am On Aug 13, 2012
I hope seun is listening. It anoys me each tyme antichristian thread makes d front page while antimuslim thread dont
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by wiegraf: 8:15am On Aug 13, 2012
The other day, some teenager was complaining about being persecuted because she was being open about her doubt of islams tenets. She posts it here, with the aim of getting advice from atheists, somehow the thread ends up in the islamic section.

If one can't see how wrong that is, well, I'm speechless. Perhaps someone could explain to me why it was so?
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 10:41am On Aug 13, 2012
wiegraf: The other day, some teenager was complaining about being persecuted because she was being open about her doubt of islams tenets. She posts it here, with the aim of getting advice from atheists, somehow the thread ends up in the islamic section.

If one can't see how wrong that is, well, I'm speechless. Perhaps someone could explain to me why it was so?

Agreed. That is why we have to complain when we see things like this happen.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Freksy(m): 11:28am On Aug 13, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Great point. I agree until the last part. It is not almost impossible to rescue a muslim. It is only harder because of it's totally submissive nature and death penalty for apostacy. [b]I believe that many muslims are converted to atheists by the arguments on NL but many are afraid to confess. [/b]See Avicenna's case- He even had to get a new ID so that no one would know who he was/is

Hmmmm..., the ministry is growing.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Freksy(m): 11:36am On Aug 13, 2012
cyrexx:

Please kindly remind me of that popular saying about a black pot and a kettle....lol
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 12:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
Freksy:

Hmmmm..., the ministry is growing.

Please, if you have nothing to say;

Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Areaboy2(m): 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2012
I absolutely agree with you poster! but I'll raise two points to add to this

1 ) This problem isn't only with "Nigerian" atheists. Atheists around the world suffer or better-put "go through" this same criticism(not talking about Islam as much as christianity). The reason is deeply embedded in the religion called Islam. Clearly it isn't a religion of peace and compounded with the close-mindedness of its followers, one would think twice before engaging them. I remember during the Mohamed picture issue by the Danish journalist. Sam Harris thought about distributing his own version of the cartoons, but in his words.. "it took me 30seconds to realise this is what's gonna get me killed" undecided

2) 90% or more of atheists on Nairaland were once Christians or brought up to be so. Hence they know a lot more about the it that any other religion and can take it on come rain come shine to dismantle their arguments. From simple interpolation, one can concluded that Islam as a religion is flawed just as much as many other religion and then some. I for one have not read the Qu'ran (from cover to cover) nor the Hadiths and so become lazy to engage them.

Also, With all the stories about a "ban 0rgy" going on there(Islamic section) I cant frankly be bothered lol

2 Likes

Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2012
Area_boy: I absolutely agree with you poster! but I'll raise two points to add to this

1 ) This problem isn't only with "Nigerian" atheists. Atheists around the world suffer or better-put "go through" this same criticism(not talking about Islam as much as christianity). The reason is deeply embedded in the religion called Islam. Clearly it isn't a religion of peace and compounded with the close-mindedness of its followers, one would think twice before engaging them. I remember during the Mohamed picture issue by the Danish journalist. Sam Harris thought about distributing his own version of the cartoons, but in his words.. "it took me 30seconds to realise this is what's gonna get me killed" undecided

2) 90% or more of atheists on Nairaland were once Christians or brought up to be so. Hence they know a lot more about the it that any other religion and can take it on come rain come shine to dismantle their arguments. From simple interpolation, one can concluded that Islam as a religion is flawed just as much as many other religion and then some. I for one have not read the Qu'ran (from cover to cover) nor the Hadiths and so become lazy to engage them.

Also, With all the stories about a "ban 0rgy" going on there(Islamic section) I cant frankly be bothered lol

that is a flawed excuse that many of you cowards latch unto. It frankly isnt true.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Areaboy2(m): 1:31pm On Aug 13, 2012
davidylan:

that is a flawed excuse that many of you cowards latch unto. It frankly isnt true.

I hate to burst your bubble mate, but it is a fact all around the world. Atheist know more about religion on average than the religionists themselves undecided

agree or disagree, it doesn't matter. lol, that's the truth
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by wiegraf: 1:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
You really don't need the details to criticize it. I suppose it is fine for practical reasons as some seem completely unable to speak normal so you have to quote their books. But by arguing from that angle you give the books/traditions credence they don't deserve in most discussions concerned with secular issues.

Then again, sadly, most people who need the discussion to drop to that level would miss that point smiley , so maybe no harm done in those situations. The smarter ones will pick up on this though.
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
Area_boy:

I hate to burst your bubble mate, but it is a fact all around the world. Atheist know more about religion on average than the religionists themselves undecided

agree or disagree, it doesn't matter. lol, that's the truth

and you got this stat from?
Re: Some Nairaland Atheists Are The Most Arrogant Cowards Ever! by MacDaddy01: 2:26pm On Aug 13, 2012
Area_boy: I absolutely agree with you poster! but I'll raise two points to add to this

Thanks for the info. I agree with what you're saying. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Did You Put The Last Church Sermon In To Practice? / Seven Ways A Christian Lady Can Attract A Responsible Man For Marriage / Pastor Makes Congregants Suck His P.enis In Church, Says His S.perm Is Holy Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.