Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Common Nairaland Words For New Members - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Common Nairaland Words For New Members (11896 Views)

5 Easy Ways To Get Likes On Nairaland For Existing And New Members / Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland / New Members, Introduce Yourselves! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Tgirl4real(f): 3:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
I felt this would be useful for people new on the forum.

List of Common Nairaland Words

Forum : Nairaland is an example of a forum.

Section : a forum can contain a number of sub forums (sections), each of which may have child boards and several topics. New topics/threads are started in a section and can be replied to by as many people as so wish. Examples of Nairaland sections include; Family Section, Celebrity Section, Music Section, Food Section, Culture Section . . . and so on.

ID: refers to your user name i.e. the name you registered with on Nairaland. E.g. Sagamite, Maclatunji, Jennykadry, Busybody, OAM4j, Debosky, Kay9 and so on grin

Forum User: Same as above and also referred to an unregistered user.

Moniker: a slang. A personal name or nickname. So, it also refers to user ID

Handle: Same as above

Newbie : refers to a new member.

OP: Means Original Poster i.e. the starter of a thread

Thread: It can also mean a topic. When you open a thread, it means you started a new topic/discussion to be debated upon by other forum users

Post: A post is a contribution/comment made by users on a thread. Members are usually allowed to edit their own posts.

Log-in: Before you can make a post/contribution, you need to log in. Only registered users can post/comment or start a thread on Nairaland.

PM : refers to private message. All members can send PMs to other members. An alert will be seen at the top of the page you are viewing when you get a PM. To view your PM, you have to check the email you registered with on Nairaland.

Moderator:
(short form: "mod" ) are users (or employees) of the forum who are granted access to the posts and threads of all members (in their area of responsibility)for the purpose of moderating discussion and also keeping the forum clean. Moderators also help with answering general questions, as well as respond to specific complaints.

Common privileges of moderators include: deleting, merging, moving, and splitting of posts and threads, locking, renaming, stickying of threads, banning, suspending, unsuspending, unbanning, warning the members, or adding, editing, removing the polls of threads.

Administrator :
(short form: "admin" ) manage the technical details required for running the site. They may promote (and demote) members to/from moderators, manage the rules, create sections and sub-sections, as well as perform any database operations (database backup etc.).

Seun is the administrator of Nairaland Forum.
https://www.nairaland.com/seun

Thanks.

You guys can add more words that can help new members understand the forum better.

Seun, you are welcome in advance. wink

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Businesstools(m): 6:05am On Aug 14, 2012
Thanks 4 sharing.

2 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:05am On Aug 14, 2012
retardeen= name given to president goodluck by nairalanders

22 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:08am On Aug 14, 2012
how does this change the price of garri in the market = usual slang used when a topic you dont expect makes the frontpage

13 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:09am On Aug 14, 2012
aboki na ram = another term used to describe bokoharam

1 Like

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Nobody: 6:10am On Aug 14, 2012
Billyonaire=nickname for any young Billionaire
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:11am On Aug 14, 2012
facrook or farogue = another name for farouk lawan
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by toyemz(f): 6:13am On Aug 14, 2012

the village clown
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Dhelake: 6:13am On Aug 14, 2012
slowpoke : idiiot
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Whobedatte(m): 6:15am On Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the info, well detailed , succint and illuminative. Registered few hours ago, though i've been following the site , topics , threads , etc and experienced difficulties in commenting.. Pls what is change colour ? What is report ? And upload ?

1 Like

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:16am On Aug 14, 2012
sexkillz = the only moderator that will bash you

7 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by sirwyte(m): 6:18am On Aug 14, 2012
Sirwyte: nickname 4 a fyn, handsome, cute, fair complexioned, baaaad shaaaarrrp nigga.
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by SlyIg(f): 6:18am On Aug 14, 2012
ebamma: retardeen= name given to president goodluck by nairalanders
people like you should be banned from here!

1 Like

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by SlyIg(f): 6:20am On Aug 14, 2012
Can you tell us d new members a little abt the 40 laptops. I keep seeing some posts abt it but i dont kw how comes abt it.

1 Like

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by SamAfrik(m): 6:20am On Aug 14, 2012
Thanks 2 OP.
Im more interested in knowing meaning of common slangs/abbrev e.g Lmao, ROTFL
Im not used to forums cos dy could be addictive. And only come on NL to unwind & also evaluate perceptions of Nigerians 2 everyday issues.

1 Like

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:26am On Aug 14, 2012
SlyIg: Can you tell us d new members a little abt the 40 laptops. I keep seeing some posts abt it but i dont kw how comes abt it.
the 40 laptops is a term used to describe attack dogs who are paid by mr president to roam around the internet and attack any body who speaks ill of him

7 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Ezedon(m): 6:27am On Aug 14, 2012
thanks for the info @ OP, i've been a member 4 months but always use the site as a guest, thanks 4 updatin me
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 14, 2012
A s s f a g - HOMO

Sicktard - a sick reta'r'd

Cretin - Ask sagamite for the meaning

Beaf - No be pomo or virus o,na one jonathan boy name be that.

40 laptops - President jonathan attack dogs on NL. (8

4 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by vividgate: 6:27am On Aug 14, 2012
Here we go
Lmao = laughing my ass out

ROTFL = roll on the floor laughing
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:29am On Aug 14, 2012
Lmao= laugh madness and organisation

3 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Biggyd2: 6:30am On Aug 14, 2012
MPD- Multiple Personality Disorder. This occurs when a person acquires pseudo names on a thread and makes comments as if they are distinct and separate personalities. Usually the individual unleashes the different personalities to force down his opinion(s) down the throats of other NLanders.

Exception to these are the people who use the different names on a thread for fun rather than to cause mischief.
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 14, 2012
~Bluetooth:
A s s f a g - HOMO

Sicktard - a sick reta'r'd

Cretin - Ask sagamite for the meaning

Beaf - No be pomo or virus o,na one jonathan boy name be that.

40 laptops - President jonathan attack dogs on NL. (8
Only 40 ?
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Ezedon(m): 6:31am On Aug 14, 2012
[quote author=SamAfrik]Thanks 2 OP.
Im not used to forums cos dy could be addictive. And only come on NL to unwind & also evaluate perceptions of Nigerians 2 everyday issues. [/ Lmao simply means laugh my ass out, and ROTFL: rolling on the floor laughing]
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 14, 2012
Frontpage: Homepage of nairaland. Topics from the child forums are picked at random (definitely not on merit) and put here.
Backpage: threads that never make the frontpage
Centerpage: Politics and religion section
Crasepage: Romance section
Funpage: Family

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by jamil2(m): 6:35am On Aug 14, 2012
Searching. . . . . . .
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by steve13(m): 6:36am On Aug 14, 2012
SamAfrik: Thanks 2 OP.
Im not used to forums cos dy could be addictive. And only come on NL to unwind & also evaluate perceptions of Nigerians 2 everyday issues.

LMAO Laughing My Asss Off......ROTFL Rolling On The Floor Laughing
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by AroOkigbo(m): 6:38am On Aug 14, 2012
SamAfrik: Thanks 2 OP.
LMAO= Laughing my a.ss over (or out)
ROTFL= Rolling On The Floor Laughing
Others are:
LWKMD(FH) for Laugh Wan Kill Me Die (For Here)
SMH for Shakes My Head.

4 Likes

Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by ebamma(m): 6:45am On Aug 14, 2012
Frontpage=dont post any topic and expect it to make the frontpage
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by BAMMZ(m): 6:47am On Aug 14, 2012
BAMMZ= when you are BAM (THE BOmb) and you know it!
Re: Common Nairaland Words For New Members by Nobody: 6:51am On Aug 14, 2012
Billyonaire: [/b] Only 40 ?

Are you guys planning more recruitments ? cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Major Scam Threads That Have Rocked & Entertained Nairalanders / Akwa Ibom Woman Confess Of Having Sex With 10 Dogs / Visa Application To Morocco From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.