Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,902 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland (1476 Views)

20 Types Of Registered Members On Nairaland; Where Do You Belong? / Common Nairaland Words For New Members / New Members, Introduce Yourselves! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 3:26am On Apr 12, 2012
I have been an ardent follower of Nairaland for say 6 years now, but have never really been commenting on issues posted. I have noticed a pattern that new members who try to comment on topics are either celebrally shown that they are rookies or/and completely shunned out. This pratice must be discouraged. Nairalanders if am wrong, can someone tell me the otherwise. Pls and pls no hate intended and no abusive words on this thread.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by khukhi(f): 4:42am On Apr 12, 2012
Maybe its the culture here. undecidedundecidedundecided
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by khukhi(f): 4:42am On Apr 12, 2012
I've 1st hand experience. Look at my very 1st post and see what a saga it turned into... In any case you cannot teach old dogs new tricks poster. You will see the responses they might throw @ you. undecided
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by odumchi: 7:17am On Apr 12, 2012
I think it's mainly an issue of "sizing you up". It's like being the new kid in class. No one knows how you're going to turn out to be, and the older guys try to make a powerful impression on you. I've witnessed this myself a few times and I equally agree that it's wrong.

If you would like to participate in a discussion, you are free to despite what anyone says. Be bold and stand your ground.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 8:26am On Apr 12, 2012
It's a mind thing. Some feel they've been here for so long and wouldn't tolerate a newbie bringing a change or bringing back done and dusted topics. The funny thing about internet is invisibility. That a person registers today doesn't mean he's not being following a forum for years. It's just a matter of choice to register at his own time.

Buh seriously tho, some newbie ought to be spanked for being too lazy to use the search bar. :PIt's a mind thing. Some feel they've been here for so long and wouldn't tolerate a newbie bringing a change or bringing back done and dusted topics. The funny thing about internet is invisibility. That a person registers today doesn't mean he's not being following a forum for years. It's just a matter of choice to register at his own time.

Buh seriously tho, some newbie ought to be spanked for being too lazy to use the search bar. grin
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by emofine2(f): 8:48am On Apr 12, 2012
odumchi: I think it's mainly an issue of "sizing you up". It's like being the new kid in class. No one knows how you're going to turn out to be, and the older guys try to make a powerful impression on you. I've witnessed this myself a few times and I equally agree that it's wrong.

If you would like to participate in a discussion, you are free to despite what anyone says. Be bold and stand your ground.

Well said smiley

Mustay: It's a mind thing. . .The funny thing about internet is invisibility. That a person registers today doesn't mean he's not being following a forum for years. It's just a matter of choice to register at his own time.

True.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Nayah(f): 9:40am On Apr 12, 2012
Mustay: It's a mind thing. Some feel they've been here for so long and wouldn't tolerate a newbie bringing a change or bringing back done and dusted topics. The funny thing about internet is invisibility. That a person registers today doesn't mean he's not being following a forum for years. It's just a matter of choice to register at his own time.

Buh seriously tho, some newbie ought to be spanked for being too lazy to use the search bar. :PIt's a mind thing. Some feel they've been here for so long and wouldn't tolerate a newbie bringing a change or bringing back done and dusted topics. The funny thing about internet is invisibility. That a person registers today doesn't mean he's not being following a forum for years. It's just a matter of choice to register at his own time.

grin

I agree, I'm here since 2009 but really active since last year, and yes I've noticed some people don't linke change, but my dear let's impose yourself if you have something to say or to notice just go ahead because you'll never been appreciated by everyone
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 11:57am On Apr 12, 2012
Do you also know that if a section has an 'active poster' or 'usual suspects' and some newbie comes with awesome delivery of his/her messages, there's this 'ITK beefing'?

Well, am of the opinion that inasmuch as we want to have fun, some people taking the internet personal never pays. There was a time I was once active but I've not been able to 'get back to that form' for some time or too 'busy' to post or enjoy just reading up views (people do this a lot). So, for those who wanna carry an internet forum thread, they're kindly advised to GET A LIFE!
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by aljharem(m): 2:09pm On Apr 12, 2012
I find this funny, well OP i guess it is in every society this happens
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by ifyalways(f): 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2012
Ok,people for real get intimidated by online strangers?Folks that would probably not stand you one on one make one cry online?
Fvck me sideways!

OP,its a freaking internet.FEAR NO ONE!
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 5:38pm On Apr 12, 2012
Well said people! This is about the most intelligent responses I jhave since in a long while. I must insist that change is inevitable and must be embraced. Don't look down on people based on frivolities,Remember God does it all
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by tpia5: 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2012
the IQ level of the op on nl is worrisome.

and yes, i'm a new member just like the poster.

i've been "following nl" for longer than him or her.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 6:46pm On Apr 12, 2012
'It's lie!'

In my frequent days of nairalanding, I sabi dat tpia name wella. maybe u were banned or something grin
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by tpia5: 9:19pm On Apr 12, 2012
^you seem familiar.

1 Like

Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2012
So you can see me eh? grin Omo, dey fear spirit o.

Your name sounds and 'reads' familiar.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by tpia5: 9:26pm On Apr 12, 2012
^^explain yourself nah.

post relevant links, etc.

you frequent religion [muslim] section, right?

The quiet guy? I think I remember you now. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 9:42pm On Apr 12, 2012
Ok you're right in most parts. My eyes deceived me initially, thought I saw "you used to fight in the religion section". Aint from Kano but I once moderated the section.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by tpia5: 9:45pm On Apr 12, 2012
^I dont remember you fighting in religion section, but if you think you did. . . . . . . . .well, just turn over a new leaf, that's all. . . . . . .unless you'd rather continue fghting. . . . . . .
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 11:54pm On Apr 12, 2012
That's what makes me 'quiet'. 'Cos people 'can like' to cause wahala and encourage fanaticsm
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by tpia5: 2:19pm On Apr 13, 2012
^^so, where have you been all this while?

did you take a break from nl?

i havent been seeing you in the muslim section for sometime now.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Pennywise(m): 2:59pm On Apr 13, 2012
tpia@:
^^so, where have you been all this while?

did you take a break from nl?

i havent been seeing you in the muslim section for sometime now.

Tpia have you no shame ?-openly flirting with a guy on NL.

Mustay guy be careful. Ever heard of the black widow spider or the praying mantis and what they do to their consort?

@OP
Indeed some members of this forum think they have superior wisdom bc they have been here longer. All that is nonsense and should be ignored. Debate issues and not personality unless if personality becomes the issue.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by tpia5: 3:02pm On Apr 13, 2012
^^dont let bad belle kill you nah. undecided

are you gaay or something?

you want him?
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Pennywise(m): 3:27pm On Apr 13, 2012
No u can have him. But I am not sure he wants you

I could take u, If u ask nicely!
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Freiburger(m): 4:56pm On Apr 13, 2012
Pennywise:

Tpia have you no shame ?-openly flirting with a guy on NL.

How does that concerns you?
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Ptolomeus(m): 5:27pm On Apr 13, 2012
Hello dear friends:
I am fairly new to the forum. I registered in November 2011.
If we add that do not speak English, because I am a foreigner, I must admit that all I have been very well received. It is logical that a forum has discussions, and sometimes even anger, but that is part of the essence.
I think the key is not to offend, and not disqualify the other.
Do not forget that hard with whom we are discussing today, possibly tomorrow we agree on another topic. Let's take the word "tolerance" and not say what we not like to be told.
I had the good fortune to meet friends, I have no enmity with anyone and I do not have anyone with me.
I think it is very wise friend said Odumchi:
"If you would like to Participate in a discussion, you are free to despite what anyone says. Be bold and stand your ground"
This thread is interesting.
I would like to take this opportunity to greet all with special affection.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by Mustay(m): 6:09pm On Apr 13, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Let's take the word "tolerance"

I have no enmity with anyone and I do not have anyone with me.

Agree. It's not worth it and moreso, having e-fights. LIVE simply.
Life
Is
Very
Easy
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by kay9(m): 10:35pm On Apr 14, 2012
@OP
Ehn, get used to it. Funny thing is, its the same in just about any other forum out there. Newbie comes along, says something and breaks some silent ''rule'', and the entire rat-pack decends on him/her. grin
In any case, its a measure of your self-confidence... and general knowledge. I mean, if you actually know what you're talking about, you wouldn't get phased easily, eh? wink
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by OneNaira6: 10:57pm On Apr 14, 2012
OP
You'll get used to it. It is just the way Nairaland operates.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 7:58pm On Apr 15, 2012
Thank you. I will and should
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by naijarican(f): 10:01pm On Apr 15, 2012
It's comical to see people buck up to new posters. As if they can really intimidate someone online. LMAO!!! Online bullies amuse me. Bet they would never attempt that CaCa in someones face, person to person.
Re: Intimidation Of New Members On Nairaland by dasparrow: 6:20pm On Apr 16, 2012
Chibuzo-Ikenna:
I have been an ardent follower of Nairaland for say 6 years now, but have never really been commenting on issues posted. I have noticed a pattern that new members who try to comment on topics are either celebrally shown that they are rookies or/and completely shunned out. This pratice must be discouraged. Nairalanders if am wrong, can someone tell me the otherwise. Pls and pls no hate intended and no abusive words on this thread.

Do not be intimidated. It is the internet after all. Most Nigerians have a big filthy mouth online but if they meet you face to face, they become quiet as a mouse. I have been on this forum for several years lurking around but then finally decided to create an account. I post my opinion and then walk away. I have no time to argue back and forth with any faceless stranger/forumite because I have better things to do with my time. So, state your opinion and that is it. Alot of Nigerians are very rude online but they know they can't attempt that rubbish in a real life face to face situation or they gonna get hurt, literally!

(1) (Reply)

10 Taboo Rituals Still Performed Today / Fashola's younger Brother Weds / 10 Ways To Overcome Public Shyness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.