Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,021 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud (4801 Views)

Maritime Workers Union Of Nigeria Shut Ports Operations Nationwide / Lekki-ikoyi Suspension Bridge: FG Accuses Lagos Of Acting Wrongly / FG Orders Sack Of 20,000 PHCN Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Idokojimmy: 7:14am On Aug 14, 2012
Federal Government yesterday accused the Staff Union of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) of fraudulent activities by not remitting workers' pension contributions since 2006 in line with the new Pension Act.

Consequently, the government has set up a panel, headed by a former Auditor-General of the Federation, to investigate the alleged violation of the Pension Act.

These were revealed yesterday by the Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, while briefing State House correspondents, after presenting the Ministry's 2012 Budget performance to President Goodluck Jonathan.

He put the budget performance at 52.9 per cent. Speaking earlier, the Presidential Adviser on Media, Dr Reuben Abati, made clarification on what informed the briefing on budget, saying "it is not intended for witch hunting neither are we here to indict anyone.

It is to ensure transparency and accountability and beyond all of these, it is to ensure that Mr. President's intention is to ensure that proper standards are set and that going forward, priorities in term of service deliveries are properly defined".

On the allegation of fraud, Nnaji regretted that the PHCN Union officials have been going about blackmailing government while distorting facts, saying they were behaving like "outlaws"

Nnaji spoke further on this. "For labour, there is a lot distortions out there. It is unfortunate that they are not getting the proper information but I can promise you that this week, we are going to realise a lot of information pertaining to the main issue which the union was quarrelling with government about.

"That has to do with how much they are going to take. They say it is N85,000. I cannot understand how they could say that. Many of the people who are junior officers, some of them with WAEC qualification are going to go home with N8 million.

"We just do not want to publish the tally sheet. Somebody who is in the position of an Assistant General Manager could go home with N28 million. The highest officer could go home with N38 million. So, anybody who is telling you N85,000 has a different mission.

"The area of difference is the following, the Union wants to be paid 25% of the benefit at point of severance. That was an old policy before the 2004 Pension Reform Act. After the Act, they continued to carry on with the 25%. "They collected this money without remitting the money into the account, it was just written on paper. So, the workers had nothing in their account. That is something we have now set up a panel to investigate and we have set up a panel headed by a former Auditor-General of the Federation.

"It amounts to fraud to have that kind of thing going on. Secondly, the money that is being promised workers are retired based on that. What government has decided to do is that since no money was paid into the account from 2004 to June of this year, the government will pay what is in the law.

"Government will pay its own component that is the PHCN component of it. Workers were supposed to contribute 7.5% and PHCN pays 7.5% but since PHCN did not pay, government will pay it. This makes 15% . But the Union is saying that they would like government to pay the 25%.

"Every worker out there; be it private or public follows the Pension Act and how on earth would you say you do not want to obey the law of this nation. That is the threat. This is a country of rules but they go and attack an official of PHCN dragged her out and stripped her because the woman hold position of Acting General Manager, Human Resources.

Unions do not act this way. PHCN Unions are constituting themselves as outlaws. It is not right".

On the 2012 Budget performance, Nnaji said out of the N75.4 billion budgetted for capital projects, N21.5 billion has been released and only N11.4 billion has been utilised.

He also spoke about plan to prioritise the completion of the 156 on-going projects, increase generation as well as develop alternative sources for generating power.

On the supply of pre-paid metres, he said: "We have set a time of 18 months for Nigerian consumers to be metered".

http://www.compassnewspaper.org/index.php/component/content/article/35-headlines/6558-fg-accuses-phcn-workers-union-of-fraud
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by inspirenet: 9:15am On Aug 14, 2012
Interesting
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Stallion77(f): 9:39am On Aug 14, 2012
This man in the Person of the Minister of Power seem to know his onions well.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by HammedSodiqq: 9:45am On Aug 14, 2012
Maybe that is the reason why we use to have epileptic power supply. No wonder the Minister of power accused them of being Agents to Generator companies. They are saboteurs. Let them give way for privatization, so that we can pay for what we will enjoy.

1 Like

Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 14, 2012
What do they want, N50m for the lowest staff or what? So much money for service not rendered. angry
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Cleanman(m): 10:39am On Aug 14, 2012
hmmm...this phcn staff are smtin else!..,privatisation is surely the way out of this mess.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Scarpon(m): 10:40am On Aug 14, 2012
Nigeria is moving forward

2 Likes

Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by justokey(m): 10:48am On Aug 14, 2012
The fate of NITEL staff will soon befall them. Who will employ a corrupt incompetent person. Even the new order will leave them behind. No wonder they want all that they can get NOW.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by greall1: 11:01am On Aug 14, 2012
pension they are not working for
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by slickfiz(m): 11:02am On Aug 14, 2012
To my amazement,we've had light for 2days straight but now I see the reason why. There's fire on the mountain so they are up on their toes. However, it is stupid of them to bring bills only to go on strike the day after. Went to their office to pay this morning & that how I found out about this so called strike. Despite the pension fraud, PHCN staff on the other hand are fraudulent. They've been giving us imaginary bills and increasing them rapidly monthly only for the to bring a bill of N68000 to our home 2months back so we made a report to their manager and after investigation, the truth was discovered.
Privatisation is the way 4ward. Make a change if U want things to change.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by greall1: 11:03am On Aug 14, 2012
greall1: pension they were not working for
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by CHIDIEJIOGU: 11:03am On Aug 14, 2012
NA TODAY?THEY ARE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THE FACT THAT MONEYS WERE DEDUCTED FROM THEIR SALARIES ILLEGALLY FOR YEARS. WELL THEY SHOULD JUST BE THANKFUL GOVT IS NOW CORUPT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY THEIR BIT.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 14, 2012
GEJ's Government has been exposing the rots and scams in the government even before he came to power, that's why every monki is shouting impeach GEJ, resign GEJ dis and dat.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by GBAGAUN1(m): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2012
probably they think its their fathers company
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by gabriel74: 11:15am On Aug 14, 2012
It high time the Federal Government sent EFCC to this people..The PHCN have forgotten about the 4600 Ghost workers? Because they begged and were pardoned, they supposed to be in jail by now...Imagine stealing workers pension money since 2006.I blamed some staff of not monitoring the pension online. This is one thing i praise Obasanjo time for making this information online so that people can check their money online(once the money is deducted from salary,you are entitled to check,ask questions and make sure the money is credited to your account). But because Some of we Nigerians don't care about it allowing this PHCN and Union Ogas to steal their money............Jail Jail Jail..
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Dafeclement: 11:18am On Aug 14, 2012
let there be light in ninja for at least 24hrs before we can say hurray, any way good work mr minister keep it up
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by tokunegiye(m): 11:20am On Aug 14, 2012
Its time to privatize abeg[i][/i]
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by wengerjay(m): 11:26am On Aug 14, 2012
Imaging,'a i tete mu ole,ole u mu oloko'.FG calling the unions thieves.I dey watch the drama o!
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Nobody: 11:27am On Aug 14, 2012
I am flabbergasted to see the expositions of all sorts of frauds and scams that has been going on in every administration in this country by the GEJ administration. From subsidy, to NASS's constituency project scam, to PHCN scam etc. It has always been business as usual for the past administrations to share in the systematic loot of the masses. The PHCN bills we were paying was going into people's pockets while the pension scheme suffered. No wonder the staff went about disconnecting and reconnecting electric lines illegally. We should be appreciative of this administration. It is no more business as usual.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by ayobase(m): 11:29am On Aug 14, 2012
Some of u will just pop up into what u know nothing about....what happens if the FG is guilty eventually.....everyone is now believing this allegation...smh!
gboss4sure: GEJ's Government has been exposing the rots and scams in the government even before he came to power, that's why every monki is shouting impeach GEJ, resign GEJ dis and dat.
GEJ is really trying, he even paid PHCN some money years back....but, this ongoing matter is twisted more than we know....Obasanjo should be summoned to come educate the public on some effective issues enacted during his regime...we should be able to take it up from there!
justokey: The fate of NITEL staff will soon befall them. Who will employ a corrupt incompetent person. Even the new order will leave them behind. No wonder they want all that they can get NOW.
Read what u wrote again....thats so moronic of u!
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by ayobase(m): 11:49am On Aug 14, 2012
greall1: pension they are not working for

Dont be daft....from the workers' salaries, 25% is being deducted monthly for the purpose of pension....research before u post rubbish my friend!
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by sharpman1(m): 11:50am On Aug 14, 2012
This is strange!!!

Is it the workers union that deducts and remits pension contribution or the employer?

My understanding is that the employer does the deductions since the salary is paid by them and then remits to the pension fund administrator. so how come the workers union is involved in this case?
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by edicolove: 11:51am On Aug 14, 2012
Dafe clement: let there be light in ninja for at least 24hrs before we can say hurray, any way good work mr minister keep it up

Have you being living in a cave? We have already achieved one week uninterrupted and you are still talking of 24hrs. Please lets all support the power reforms. It must work, no going back. It is only witches and wizards that don't like light.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by edicolove: 11:54am On Aug 14, 2012
sharp man: This is strange!!!

Is it the workers union that deducts and remits pension contribution or the employer?

My understanding is that the employer does the deductions since the salary is paid by them and then remits to the pension fund administrator. so how come the workers union is involved in this case?

Its the workers union peeps that are in charge. the connivance is from the top PHCN management.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Youngzedd(m): 12:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
edicolove:

Have you being living in a cave? We have already achieved one week uninterrupted and you are still talking of 24hrs. Please lets all support the power reforms. It must work, no going back. It is only witches and wizards that don't like light.

Speak for your area not others.

We do get light but not "uninterrupted" do you really know what uninterrupted means.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by ayobase(m): 12:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
Yeah, we are all elated about what GEJ is doing, and very soon, the scammers are gonna be discovered, but to be brought to justice is what I can't say....
The same FG has gone into many many contracts on behalf of PHNC over the years.
A contract was signed with IES...being part of the grid, they supply PHCN with power at 14 Naira per Watt, and being sold by PHCN at 6 Naira per Watt based on FG rule without being subsidized (there are still more to that contract)
Remember, PHCN buys gas from different companies. And they must always pay to avoid some harsh measures!
During the 2004 pension reform, Obasanjo excluded PHCN. Because government wouldnt contibute her part of the 15% (7.5% by respective worker and 7.5% by FG), FG made it a rule that 25% of every worker salary should be deducted, and which has been going on for years (about 500M Naira is summed up monthly from this exercise) and being saved in ''supernition fund''....but, since government is not responsible for the payment of Gas, IES Services and among others....PHCN pays from the money realised from the sales of unit, and cos the money is not always enough (DEFICIT), they took from the ''supernition fund'' to pay most of the debt being ''rogued'' into by the FG.
Now the FG is pointing finger of theft at PHCN when the other four fingers are pointing at them!
PHCN has been used by the FG as an avenue of embezzzling Trillions of Dollars over the years...its hightime they paid through their NOSE!
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by dedeike: 1:02pm On Aug 14, 2012
Massive reforms in the power sector. I'm really impressed.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Carzhiemglows: 1:53pm On Aug 14, 2012
slickfiz: To my amazement,we've had light for 2days straight but now I see the reason why. There's fire on the mountain so they are up on their toes. However, it is stupid of them to bring bills only to go on strike the day after. Went to their office to pay this morning & that how I found out about this so called strike. Despite the pension fraud, PHCN staff on the other hand are fraudulent. They've been giving us imaginary bills and increasing them rapidly monthly only for the to bring a bill of N68000 to our home 2months back so we made a report to their manager and after investigation, the truth was discovered.
Privatisation is the way 4ward. Make a change if U want things to change.
real talk my brother,same happened to me
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by justokey(m): 4:25pm On Aug 14, 2012
ayobase:

Read what u wrote again....thats so moronic of u!

If you looking for sympathy you won't get it. In good conscience do you think you are worth monthly salary, let alone pension?
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by HammedSodiqq: 4:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
ayobase:

Dont be daft....from the workers' salaries, 25% is being deducted monthly for the purpose of pension....research before u post rubbish my friend!
Sir, objectively, no senior staff's gratuity can be above 4million. But here, the least staff is going home with 8million. Haba! Isn't Govt fair enough? Even if you deduct 800%, you can never get that much. Praise Govt for once.
Re: FG Accuses PHCN Workers Union Of Fraud by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 14, 2012
WHEN YOU DONT TAKE GOVERNMENT WORK SERIOUSLY AS YOUR PERSONAL BUSINESS, WHEN IT COLLPASES YOU BEGIN TO CRY! PRIVATIZATION WILL COME KNOCKING ON THE DOOR SO THAT SUCH ESTABLISHMENT WILL NOT DIE. PLEASE IF U ARE IN ANY GOVERNMENT WORK, DO IT WELL OH, CUS IF U DONT THEY WILL SELL IT OFF. I AM TALKING TO THOSE GOVERNMENT WORKERS THAT RESUME THEIR DAILY OFFICE WORK BY 10AM. THIS IS CRAZY, CAN YOU DO SUCH IN YOUR OWN BUSINESS? THINK TWICE.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

ACN: FG Wanted To Use Ribadu / Okenze Osuigwe Opens Up: Ndigbo Begged IBB To Annul June 12 / PHOTOS: Osinbajo Receives UN High Commissioner, Filippo Grandi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.