Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

The Wodaabe People - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Wodaabe People (55277 Views)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / See The Fulani Wodaabe And Tuareg Kel-tamasheq Getting Along In Dance And Drum / Wodaabe Tribe & Fulani Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Wodaabe People by captalex(m): 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2012
Quick question, are their ikebe's as big as Msdarkskin's own.

2 Likes

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
captalex: Quick question, are their ikebe's as big as Msdarkskin's own.

grin grin grin

oh lord!
Re: The Wodaabe People by somalia5: 9:09pm On Nov 28, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

grin grin grin

oh lord!

my black child, how are u misssy
Re: The Wodaabe People by sambos994(m): 9:23pm On Nov 28, 2012
We're still going?
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 01, 2012
sambos994: We're still going?

I do need to update this thread though. smiley

In fact I am thinking of making one for another african group.
perhaps the massai! cheesy
Re: The Wodaabe People by somalia5: 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2012
*Kails*:

I do need to update this thread though. smiley

In fact I am thinking of making one for another african group.
perhaps the massai! cheesy

massai? plz do somali.

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by BlackKenichi(m): 10:48pm On Dec 01, 2012
As son as I get into these cool threads f*cktards like the idiot Somali troll and Royal always seem to pop up!
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 01, 2012
[s]Nor be by force to pay them any mind, is it bro? smiley
btw it's been a while since you and I last "chopped it up"
how are you doing hun?[/s]

scratch that.
no time for instigators.
Re: The Wodaabe People by captalex(m): 2:03am On Dec 07, 2012
You still haven't answered my question. i want pics this time around.
Re: The Wodaabe People by morpheus24: 4:15pm On Dec 07, 2012
somalia5:

massai? plz do somali.

Moderator. TROLL ALERT!!!

Re: The Wodaabe People by somalia5: 11:49am On Dec 08, 2012
morpheus24:

Moderator. TROLL ALERT!!!

ape alert.

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 6:19am On Mar 03, 2013
i forgot all about this thread lmao.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 6:22am On Mar 03, 2013
grin
MsDarkSkin: It's so fcking annoying.

ppl dont get the hint.

I don't like you, want anything to do with you YET you follow me around?\

Stop preeing my nuts! DAMN.

grin grin
wow!!
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jun 12, 2013
BUMPED.

ignore the rants above.
cheesy cheesy
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
Dudu_Negro: No doubt the wodaabes are naturally endowed with physical beauty, however, they also are preoccupied with physical adornment, particularly the application of animal fats to enhance facial appeal and visual softness.

The wodaabes use organic minerals and methods to get this result. All nomadic tribes have this secret! The Fulanis as well as the Masai also use animal fat for skin beautification.

Animal blood rubbed on the skin helps in anti-aging and retards wrinkling. There is risk to health and safety. Carelessness in the choice of animal blood, as well the application, can lead to skin disease and other undesirable consequences.

Animal dairy consumed fresh or processed into body oils respectively help to rebuild and renew soft tissues that produce and supply oil from the sub-cutaneous layer of the skin and also act as shield on the skin surface to block out harsh elements that would otherwise dry and burn the skin.

Taking daily baths, while it cleanses body of perspirations and body odour, accelerates corrosion of the skin. The soap and sponge de-film the skin of its naturally produced oily coating and leaves it bare to the harsh elements. This is why the skin afterward is ashy or dry and so we apply artificial or inorganic lotion and cream to moisturize but they are no substitite for the organic blood and dairy from a goat, sheep or cow.

In addition to using organic minerals, Nomads do not bathe daily. When they do, which is far inbetween, their moisturizer is also made from animal fat - an organic substance.

Lastly, visual softness in physical objects is derived innately from the essence of creation itself, namely, duality! Everything in nature is paired, including the face. To enhance beauty of the created face you focus attention on its symmetrical attributes. This knowledge is what the Wodaabes are using to amplify the beauty and appealing attributes of the created face by dividing it in symmetry to give it softness.

You can experiment with it yourself......use their example and color your face with a light foundation and then use a constrast color to divide a line down the middle then look yourself in the mirror and amaze at your own beauty, or evwn take a picture.

This visual effect of symmetrical balance is also responsible for why we view frontal gap in denture (ejii) as an appeal. It gives the owner a softness to the eye and we are instinctively charmed when they smile. lol!

I know I saw this before but the connection between these people and another
is solidified with this post.

VERY INTERESTING...
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 18, 2013
MsDarkSkin: [size=18pt]Now this is interesting[/size]....here are a few comparisons of Ancient ppls
believed to be related to the Wodaabe (Fulani) in paitings along with present day Wodaabe.

Ancient Algerian rock art of men preparing for a festival:

Ancient Egyptian art depicting a "Tjehenu" (indigenous Libyan) man...

^^notice the attire...hmmmm... cheesy

>>> I want someone who knows about Wodaabe history to address this! smiley
*after I post findings or bring up the issue of their origin. wink

https://www.nairaland.com/1018361/wodaabe-people/2#11824204

*update*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J60TP5a8RU

if this is true, which most likely it is...then
it means the wodaabe are descendants of the very people
responsible for the decline of ancient Egypt... sad undecided
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
You can experiment with it yourself......use their example and color your face with a light foundation and then use a constrast color to divide a line down the middle then look yourself in the mirror and amaze at your own beauty, or evwn take a picture.

Another reason why they do that is because in wodaabe culture,
the straighter a man's nose, the more attractive he is (to some of the women). so the line also exaggerate or show off the straightness of their nose.
Re: The Wodaabe People by MamiWata: 2:23pm On Aug 18, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

[size=18pt]Marriage and s3xuality[/size]

The Woodabe a "sexually liberal" as unmarried men and women have the right to "fornicate" (one reason they are known as the Taboo People among their Fulani relatives.)

Very interesting. If this is true then they are not only polygamous but polyandrous as well.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Fulaman198(m): 9:47pm On Aug 18, 2013
*Kails*:

*update*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J60TP5a8RU

if this is true, which most likely it is...then
it means the wodaabe are descendants of the very people
responsible for the decline of ancient Egypt... sad undecided

Although Fulani literature often says we come from Egypt I find it hard to believe. Do we originate from North Africa? yes we do without a doubt. But Egypt? not sure. That said, the first Fulani were the Ba (Bah), Ka (Kah), Diallo (Jalloh/Jallow), etc.) These names are still used today. Ka is also interestingly an Egyptian term which refers to ones spirit.

No one knows if we originate from Egypt, since the language itself is a Senegambian tongue derived from languages spoken in Mauritania and Senegambia. One thing is for certain though as many black groups live in Egypt. I think the first Egyptians were either Nubian or Afar.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 12:59am On Aug 19, 2013
What's up Fulaman!! smiley

If the wodaabe people were originally the natives of Libya then for sure
they were involved in the history of Egypt. Again, there are depictions of them there and also in ancient rock drawings across north Africa.

But I do agree with you when you said
"I think the first Egyptians were either Nubian or Afar."

There is a lot of evidence that suggests this to be true. smiley
Re: The Wodaabe People by Fulaman198(m): 2:10am On Aug 19, 2013
*Kails*:

they were involved in the history of Egypt. Again, there are depictions of them there and also in ancient rock drawings across north Africa.

The thing is that back then, there was no such thing as Wodaabe, only Fulbe. Wodaabe is a derograty term used for Fulani who have "not fully adopted Islam", in fact it can be used for any Mbororo Fulani. There are stories from our forefathers that the First fulbe families Ka, Ba, Diallo, Barry, etc. all came from Egypt. However, there is no evidence of this. There is evidence that Fulani were once in North Africa, but where in North Africa we are unsure.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Adamskuty(m): 7:01am On Aug 19, 2013
Fulaman198:

The thing is that back then, there was no such thing as Wodaabe, only Fulbe. Wodaabe is a derograty term used for Fulani who have "not fully adopted Islam", in fact it can be used for any Mbororo Fulani. There are stories from our forefathers that the First fulbe families Ka, Ba, Diallo, Barry, etc. all came from Egypt. However, there is no evidence of this. There is evidence that Fulani were once in North Africa, but where in North Africa we are unsure.
mr fula.man u need to see this

[quote author=yousuf12]Adam it is a well known fact that Fulanis resemble EA's, they will tell you that themselves because trust me I have met plenty Fulani guys/girls telling me they are originally from EA.

lmfaoo
Re: The Wodaabe People by Adamskuty(m): 7:16am On Aug 19, 2013
*Kails*:

kails swrrry embarassed longtime no chat,i think i i i i i i i i need your help on something,i just met a more educated troll grin (can u direct me pls to the topic of urs which has pixs of bantus (cute bantu shawties cheesy ) with their real hair,i mean hot hot babes meeehn! With nice backside and damn might boobs just like u grin
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 19, 2013
Fulaman198:

There is no evidence that all fulanis came from egypt because not all of you did. Some fulani ppls did come from that region, esp. the wodaabe. The thing is there is no such thing as "fulani dna" simply because you guys are only bound by language, culture, and religion. But in terms of dna you are not homogeneous.

This explains the nomadis culture, appearance and customs of the wodaabe compared to many other (the majority) fulani groups who easily blend with other west africans. In the case of the wodaabe, there is plenty of evidence that THEY (not all fulanis) are originally from the eastern sahara.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 19, 2013
Adamskuty: kails swrrry embarassed longtime no chat,i think i i i i i i i i need your help on something,i just met a more educated troll grin (can u direct me pls to the topic of urs which has pixs of bantus (cute bantu shawties cheesy ) with their real hair,i mean hot hot babes meeehn! With nice backside and damn might boobs just like u grin

Three things:

1 Thank you for the compliment.

2 I am not bantu (directly). You are not bantu. Bantus are not found in west africa....it is a central african language group.

3 the topic is called BEAUTY OF NATURAL HAIR which is located in thr fashion section. It features natural black women from all over the world.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Fulaman198(m): 6:18am On Aug 20, 2013
*Kails*:

There is no evidence that all fulanis came from egypt because not all of you did. Some fulani ppls did come from that region, esp. the wodaabe. The thing is there is no such thing as "fulani dna" simply because you guys are only bound by language, culture, and religion. But in terms of dna you are not homogeneous.

This explains the nomadis culture, appearance and customs of the wodaabe compared to many other (the majority) fulani groups who easily blend with other west africans. In the case of the wodaabe, there is plenty of evidence that THEY (not all fulanis) are originally from the eastern sahara.

http://www.misiide.net/miijo-hol-to-leydi-misra-egypte-hucci/#more-684

What you are saying doesn't make sense as there was no such thing as wodaabe back then. Wodaabe is a term coined when Fulani converted to Islam. All Fulani are of the same root, as depicted by culture, language and DNA. The Wodaabe of Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon are no exception as they are just like every other Fulani DNA wise.

5,000 years ago there were about 15,000 fulbe, and today over 15 million. All our roots are the same, language and culture. You can't just have one group diverge from another, if Wodaabe truly were different why is it everything they do Fulani? From clothing food, language and culture. They just have retained more finatawa Fulani than other Fulani groups.

1 Like

Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 20, 2013
Its already been stated many times that Fulani's origins lie in the Sahara(like other West Africans), there is even rock arts of Fulanis in the Sahara when it was wet.

Heck Fulanis still mostly live near the Sahara.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Fulaman198(m): 6:27am On Aug 20, 2013
KidStranglehold: Its already been stated many times that Fulani's origins lie in the Sahara(like other West Africans), there is even rock arts of Fulanis in the Sahara when it was wet.

Heck Fulanis still mostly live near the Sahara.

That is correct, most Fulani still live in the Sahel/Southern Sahara because it is the land we're used to. Also, like you said, most West Africans are truly from Northern Africa (Modern day Sudan)
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 6:37am On Aug 20, 2013
Fulaman198:

That is correct, most Fulani still live in the Sahel/Southern Sahara because it is the land we're used to. Also, like you said, most West Africans are truly from Northern Africa (Modern day Sudan)

I don't know about West Africans being from modern day Sudan. I never heard that one before.

But yes most Africans during the Holocene lived in the Sahara AKA North Africa(and still do...AKA Tuaregs,Fulanis,etc).

Here is an interesting study showing the peopling of the Sahara during the Holocene period (Green Sahara).

It is from this study:
http://www.pnas.org/content/108/2/458.full.pdf

^^^As you can see most lived in Northern parts of Africa.Coastal West Africa, Central Africa and South Africa were sparsely populated which is why civilization developed much later in those parts of Africa.

I actually think there is a lost civilization buried under the Sahara desert. I mean there isn't much archaeological work done on Africa(excluding Egypt).

Heck we just found out Tichit Walata in Mauritania and that settlement goes back 4000 BC. Lets not forget that archaeological work has found out that the city of Djenne goes back 250 BC, but the city has not be dunged up. There are many ancient sites recently found in the Sahel area. I think there may be a connection. I think there was this very Ancient Sahara civilization that we do not know about. The Ancient Egyptians talked about the Kingdom of Yam being in Chad and other civilizations being in that area. But we'll just have to wait and see.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 6:42am On Aug 20, 2013
If there was an Ancient Saharan civilization then I think the Fulanis and Tuaregs were differently a part of it along with other African groups.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 20, 2013
Fulaman198:

http://www.misiide.net/miijo-hol-to-leydi-misra-egypte-hucci/#more-684

What you are saying doesn't make sense as there was no such thing as wodaabe back then. Wodaabe is a term coined when Fulani converted to Islam. All Fulani are of the same root, as depicted by culture, language and DNA. The Wodaabe of Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon are no exception as they are just like every other Fulani DNA wise.

5,000 years ago there were about 15,000 fulbe, and today over 15 million. All our roots are the same, language and culture. You can't just have one group diverge from another, if Wodaabe truly were different why is it everything they do Fulani? From clothing food, language and culture. They just have retained more finatawa Fulani than other Fulani groups.

Sir africa has changed a lot over the years.
Africans today were not as they were thousands of years ago. The fulani much like the akan is a collection of many african groups who share a culture but originally began as seperate clans. Migrations occurred a lot in west africa and caused people to fuse into larger groups. The same can be said for various other african ethnic groups all throughout the continent. This is nothing new. Lol

The fulani is no different. I,never said the term wodaabe was ancient...i said the people in that group are and they are not...i repeat NOT native to lle est africa. They are related to the tuareg who in turn have the same ancestry (with some foreign admixture) as the east and north east africans.

If u want me to provide proof I will gladly do so. But there is a reason why body wise and phenotypically the wodaabe looks different from other fulanis its because of their ancestry.

Its common sense. The fulanis are not all homogeneous. Lol.
Re: The Wodaabe People by Nobody: 8:52am On Aug 20, 2013
The origins of the Fulani people are highly disputed, some believe that they are of North African or Arabic origin, characterized by the lighter skin and straighter hair. Some Africans even refer to them as lighter skin and straighter hair. Some Africans even refer to them as"white people". However, recent studies show that they descend from nomads from both North Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. The Fulani were the first group of people in West Africa to convert to Islam [b]through jihads, or holy wars, and were able to take over much of West Africa [/b]and establish themselves not only as a religious group but also as a political and economical force.

They are obviously talking about the wodaabe and other fulani ppl with admixture as most fulanis do Not fit this description and you know it. Lol

Now you asked why do u share the same culture...again, trade and jihad.

The Fulani people of West Africa are the largest nomadic group in the world. As a group they contain a vast array of diverse people who were conquered and became a part of the Fulani through the spread of Islam.

Lol biologically speaking, fulani ppl are not a homogeneous group sir grin thats a fact. Again, this is not new to africa. Ppl were conquered or assimilated through trade and alliances. Fulani ppl are no different.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Zainab Ibrahim Sarkin Gobir Adiya Making Waves In United Kingdom. Photos / Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Ritual Rites Before Entering Ado-Ekiti (Photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo Wears Historic Crown Made Centuries Ago For The First Time.Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.