Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,814 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? (2467 Views)

Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by megakadgra(m): 8:40pm On Dec 23, 2007
i've been thinking lately; since we've as at recent,  can say globally, everybody have had a feel of the same materials for development and implementation,. i believe like i hear around that nigerians can be very good if given the appropriate resource to work withh. but been wondering what have nigerians done(program/programming) that can compete internationally on the average, and meets world standard.

if u have one or seen/heard about one lets hear
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Seun(m): 10:47pm On Dec 23, 2007
Nigerian programmers are as good as NEPA allows them to be. wink

7 Likes

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by ThePhantom(m): 6:35am On Dec 24, 2007
I can tell you for a fact there are a lot of very good Nigerian Programmers out there. Just because you havn't heard or seen them doesn't mean they are not out there. Programmers in Nigeria have alot of setbacks: NEPA (as Seun said), funds and resources. Look at the other countries, they have VC throwing Money at Ideas that wouldn't have made it big if they didn't get that kinda of investment.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by my2cents(m): 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2007
Nigerian programmers are as good as programmers anywhere in the world. Don't let the stereotypes get to you. As has been said above, just because you don't hear of the Nigerian equivalent of Infosys doesn't mean there isn't one out there. On one hand, I see that as a good thing cos the minute oyibo smells a goldmine, they will land like mosquitoes to take unfair advantage.

Here's to the Nigerian programmer who cranks out code regardless of setbacks (light, slow internet speeds, etc)!!

2 Likes

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by blueyedgeek(m): 5:49pm On Mar 01, 2015
{{var bump = true}}
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Fulaman198(m): 8:16pm On Mar 01, 2015
I think Nigerian programmers are very good and just as good as anyone else. They just aren't presented with the right tech and the right innovative ambitions because of how corrupt our government is.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by chim14(m): 9:53am On Mar 03, 2015
naija programmers are Ok. Just dat they need access to technology, resources & conducive environment.

D only thing I dislike with most naija programmers is info-theft, idea-theft etc. Many are on nairaland.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by NumberOne2(m): 12:25pm On Mar 05, 2015
Nigerian Developers are VERY good and are of international standard.
They have apps on INTERNATIONAL app stores like Google Play, Blackberry World and Apple Store.
This means that those apps met INTERNATIONAL requirements before approval on those stores.

1 Like

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Fulaman198(m): 1:29pm On Mar 05, 2015
chim14:
naija programmers are Ok. Just dat they need access to technology, resources & conducive environment.

D only thing I dislike with most naija programmers is info-theft, idea-theft etc. Many are on nairaland.

Absolute rubbish, most cyber criminals aren't even from Nigeria. United States, China, U.K., Russia, and other parts of Europe and Asia have far more cyber criminals.

1 Like

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Kennyinusa(m): 4:59pm On Mar 05, 2015
NumberOne2:
They have apps on INTERNATIONAL app stores like Google Play, Blackberry World and Apple Store.
This means that those apps met INTERNATIONAL requirements before approval on those stores.

I can tell you for free Today that 9 out of 10 Nigeria apps are stupid. It is either the UI is bad or the experience is awful or the technical support is ridiculous.

I have installed virtually every application that has Nigerian origin and i can say that they are mostly crappy.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Kennyinusa(m): 5:01pm On Mar 05, 2015
NumberOne2:

I can only give credits to app that made it to the Windows phone Store and probably that Apple store. And we all know that they are the only one's that really certify apps based on UI/UX and security concern. And i can also tell you for free that these platforms constitutes only 20-30% of the smartphone market in the country.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by NumberOne2(m): 10:09pm On Mar 05, 2015
Kennyinusa:

I can tell you for free Today that 9 out of 10 Nigeria apps are stupid. It is either the UI is bad or the experience is awful or the technical support is ridiculous.

I have installed virtually every application that has Nigerian origin and i can say that they are mostly crappy.

True but it is NOT a Nigerian thing. 9 out of 10 apps on Google Play or Apple Store are crappy also. Google boast of 1 MILLION apps. Apple boast of 1.3 MILLION apps.
Ok, so how many of these millions have you tried? Surely about 500 or maybe 1,000 or so. You can see that the stats of poor apps IS NOT a Nigerian thing. It is global. How many Indian apps, American, South African or UK apps are of GOOD QUALITY. Very few I can tell you.

PS: Hope I didn't sound rude but My point: Crappy apps are NOT only in Nigeria. Its global.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by aphildam(m): 7:16am On Mar 06, 2015
our counterparts abroad have good access to basic amenities like electricity, but here in Nigeria i wonder if our power grid supplies up to 200mw of electricity*** bad electricity is a programmer's nightmare... It leaves you at the melting point.... imagine u a programmer unable to constantly refresh & update ur brainCell.memory , detered from careful studying bulky API'S

1 Like

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Mar 06, 2015
Or a programmer that is cut off from the general programming community?

For example, I can read and write excel data with visual basic 2005, and i cannot do the same on 2008. No internet access for me to see where I am getting it wrong. . . . .that sort of thing for example
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Fulaman198(m): 7:11am On Mar 07, 2015
aphildam:
our counterparts abroad have good access to basic amenities like electricity, but here in Nigeria i wonder if our power grid supplies up to 200mw of electricity*** bad electricity is a programmer's nightmare... It leaves you at the melting point.... imagine u a programmer unable to constantly refresh & update ur brainCell.memory , detered from careful studying bulky API'S

You are absolutely correct. It really is a shame though.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Borwe: 8:51am On Mar 07, 2015
Lol, some countries in Africa are making huge international programmes and some ofthe only get electricity in Christmas or Public holidays, so please.... grin grin grin grin
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Nobody: 8:55am On Mar 07, 2015
Data is expensive, NEPA is a Nightmare, Funding is no where near.

These alone can murder Classic Dreams...

2 Likes

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by JackOfAllTrades: 1:37am On Mar 08, 2015
Djangocode:

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Nobody: 11:37am On Mar 08, 2015
Djangocode:

You've said it all
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by gloriana(f): 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2015
good day house. pls i av an idea for an app i'l like to make but am not a developer. d tin now is, i want to no if its possible for me to complete right over d app if i get someone to do it for me? am scared of all these hijacking things and lastly where can i get a very sound developer.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by JackOfAllTrades: 6:43pm On Mar 09, 2015
gloriana:
good day house. pls i av an idea for an app i'l like to make but am not a developer. d tin now is, i want to no if its possible for me to complete right over d app if i gee? am scared of all these hijacking things and lastly where can i get a very sound developer.
You can hire a recommended programmer here on nairaland, get him to sign a nondisclosure agreement deal (NDA), with your lawyer and also you can search Google for how to patent you product in Nigeria, and yes you have complete right over the app cause you paid for it.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by MacPython: 8:01pm On Mar 09, 2015
we are trying but we are not making any effort in real brain storming and ingenious programming most of us copy edit codes. i have check nigeria ranking in Google code jam festival in nothing to brag about we are not in first 1000 since the coding competition started
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by ballantyne: 11:06pm On Mar 09, 2015
MacPython:
we are trying but we are not making any effort in real brain storming and ingenious programming most of us copy edit codes. i have check nigeria ranking in Google code jam festival in nothing to brag about we are not in first 1000 since the coding competition started
Maybe the current generation should aspire to create something monumental that will inspire people of the next generation to get really interested in programming.
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by spytime(m): 7:33am On Mar 14, 2015
To me if few programmers can work together on a single project they will succeed but wen only one person is doing all the thinking nd the coding etc he is bound to make a huge err so until serious minded guys can come together. To work truthfully I don't see and progress coming
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by datecheaply: 6:07pm On Mar 18, 2015
[size=30pt]www.webkuti.in[/size]

Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
^^^Chisox! a flash website in this age and time!
Re: How Good Are Nigerian Programmers? by Fulaman198(m): 5:17pm On Mar 19, 2015
So how easy would it be for someone with a pretty strong network and security background to transition into DBA?

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Releases A Php Just-in-time Compiler / How Not To Learn Programming / What Does It Entail To Be A Back-end Developer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.