Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,137 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online (5080 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Smart? / Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 8:41am On May 16, 2013
Could not find such an association to join so I have decided to start one online. Our aim will be to develop world class applications and advice government, commerce and industry as well as the educational sectors in Nigeria on software related issues and projects. Membership is open to programmers and students who can program. We also need Accountants, Bankers, Lawyers, Doctors and other professionals to supply us with their software requirements. A Facebook page has been created for those who are interested. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Association-Of-Nigerian-Programmers-Online/589086937790732
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by GideonG(m): 11:59am On May 16, 2013
Real programmers don't have BSC except you are talking about mediocre programmers.

When I say real programmers I mean "real" all those ones you are talking about na wash.
Open the thread for everybody and you will be surprise how many talent we have, stop thinking in the past.

2 Likes

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 1:22pm On May 16, 2013
GideonG: Real programmers don't have BSC except you are talking about mediocre programmers.

These real programmers you talk about have had lecturers teaching them programming at home when they were still kids.

1 Like

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by lordZOUGA(m): 3:18pm On May 16, 2013
@charpjava, you probably just need a meeting place where you will go and feel good about yourself and your degree. If that's the case then carry on.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 4:52pm On May 16, 2013
lordZOUGA: @charpjava, you probably just need a meeting place where you will go and feel good about yourself and your degree. If that's the case then carry on.

+10000
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 8:15pm On May 16, 2013
lordZOUGA: @charpjava, you probably just need a meeting place where you will go and feel good about yourself and your degree. If that's the case then carry on.

I doubt if the government, commerce and industry sectors will take the advice of such an association seriously if membership isn't based in such criteria.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by lordZOUGA(m): 8:32pm On May 16, 2013
csharpjava:

I doubt if the government, commerce and industry sectors will take the advice of such an association seriously if membership isn't based in such criteria.
The government will probably be more interested in the achievements of said association. A degree just shows that a person has been taught a certain profession but it doesn't tell or show if the person can excell in the profession. Besides, this is computer science, a degree has never been a yardstick for measuring excellence in this field.

1 Like

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 9:05pm On May 16, 2013
lordZOUGA:
The government will probably be more interested in the achievements of said association. A degree just shows that a person has been taught a certain profession but it doesn't tell or show if the person can excell in the profession. Besides, this is computer science, a degree has never been a yardstick for measuring excellence in this field.

This association will need people with academic qualifications in Software Engineering or Computer Science with some commercial experience, in order to gain achievements that will make it relevant enough for the government to take notice of us.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by code101: 2:33pm On Jun 14, 2013
I think the Association, would be completely useless just like Computer Society of Nigeria, if you are going in the way of degree, see I have more than 10 years of programming experience, even with degree and certificate. But this paper things are the reason why the country is where we are. I can tell you that most busy programmers don't even have the time for association let alone papers.

2 Likes

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by GideonG(m): 7:17pm On Jun 14, 2013
I am not programming to get noticed by the government, the government will have no choice than to notice me by my works.
I have a different mentality, I am going to the top and thinking about government is a limitation I rather think about Investors, disruption and great innovations. period!

2 Likes

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 7:54pm On Jun 14, 2013
@ code101: Though a lot of people will disagree that a qualification is not needed for programming, but the big IT corporations will not employee someone without a degree. The reason for this is that writing a complex application is no joke, this is why a degree is required because the knowledge gained at uni will go a long way in helping a programmer to complete a complex application for organizations to use.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 8:05pm On Jun 14, 2013
@ GideonG: The aimof the association is not to wait to be noticed by the government but the reverse, because our aim is to develop world class applications that the government will have not choice but to come to us, so guys what are we waiting for let's get the ball rolling.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jun 15, 2013
csharpjava: @ code101: Though a lot of people will disagree that a qualification is not needed for programming, but the big IT corporations will not employee someone without a degree. The reason for this is that writing a complex application is no joke, this is why a degree is required because the knowledge gained at uni will go a long way in helping a programmer to complete a complex application for organizations to use.
what of those still studying, are we eligible
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Ajibel(m): 8:08pm On Jun 15, 2013
Why is the 'government' the priority And must you form an assoc before u can develop your so-called 'world class application'
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 10:14pm On Jun 15, 2013
Ajibel: Why is the 'government' the priority And must you form an assoc before u can develop your so-called 'world class application'

Why such bitterness.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 10:21pm On Jun 15, 2013
paddy4destiny: what of those still studying, are we eligible

Thanks for asking, students studying a programming course are welcomed.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Ajibel(m): 4:40am On Jun 16, 2013
csharpjava:

Why such bitterness.

What sort of algorithm did you create that made you arrive at such conclusion Its just a question i just asked and i'm in lots of programming groups on FB and there the members collaborate if they so wish- not under the banner of an Assoc. Its just that most Nigerians love Associations the same way our Govt loves setting up a committee. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 8:20am On Jun 16, 2013
Ajibel:

What sort of algorithm did you create that made you arrive at such conclusion Its just a question i just asked and i'm in lots of programming groups on FB and there the members collaborate if they so wish- not under the banner of an Assoc. Its just that most Nigerians love Associations the same way our Govt loves setting up a committee. Thanks!

A well organized Association like this one will achieve a lot and will allow software applications developed by this Association to compete globally. This will be a big achievement for this Association and Nigerian programmers that are involved, as this will lead to it being noticed by the big players in the economy.

I can assure you that this Association will be different from the ones that have put you off the word 'Associations', programming is not about deceiving people when professional programmers can put their heads together to develop world class applications that will put us on the world stag in software development.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Ajibel(m): 10:12am On Jun 16, 2013
I'm very much pleased with your convincing tone and hope you realize your dreams with fellow interested parties. Maybe for once you can prove we doubters against the need for an Assoc. wrong. Thanks cheesy
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 11:03am On Jun 16, 2013
Ajibel: I'm very much pleased with your convincing tone and hope you realize your dreams with fellow interested parties. Maybe for once you can prove we doubters against the need for an Assoc. wrong. Thanks cheesy

Hopefully one day you too will become part of this Association.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by aycsharp(m): 1:32pm On Jun 16, 2013
GideonG: Real programmers don't have BSC except you are talking about mediocre programmers.

When I say real programmers I mean "real" all those ones you are talking about na wash.
Open the thread for everybody and you will be surprise how many talent we have, stop thinking in the past.
most of the great programmers have CS degree, the likes of Linus Trovalds, Scott Hanselman, Scott Gu, time will not permit to start mentioning names, but that's not to say their are no good programmers without CS degree, its only in Nigeria that having CS degree is like a waste of time, because the schools are crappy schools. The association should be opened to those with and those without CS degrees.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 16, 2013
csharpjava:

Thanks for asking, students studying a programming course are welcomed.
Ok thanks. Am in! What next?
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 5:04pm On Jun 16, 2013
aycsharp: The association should be opened to those with and those without CS degrees.

Membership is for those who have completed or are studying OND, HND, BSc and above in Software Engineering, Computer Science or a programming related course. We also need Accountants, Bankers, Lawyers, Doctors and other professionals to supply us with their software requirements.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 6:03pm On Jun 16, 2013
paddy4destiny: Ok thanks. Am in! What next?

The projects I like us to start with are:

1. A web and mobile app MVC 'Accounting Application' and a windows version in MVP.

2. A web and mobile app MVC 'Hotel Reservation Application' which will be integrated with the above 'Accounting Application'

3. A web base MVC 'Content Management System' (CMS).

4. A web and mobile app MVC 'Customer Relations Management Application' (CRM).

5. A web and mobile app MVC 'Forum Application'

We can start working on these projects once enough people have signed up.

Skills required are: HTML, JavaScript, Ajax, CSS, Fireworks, Photoshop, Java, C#, Python, PHP, SQL, Linq to SQL and any more I have not mentioned for the web.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by mj(m): 6:07pm On Jun 16, 2013

I totally disagree with you on this, We have real programmers with BSc, Programmer without Degree in Nigeria? shocked shocked
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by mj(m): 6:15pm On Jun 16, 2013
csharpjava:

1. A web and mobile app MVC 'Accounting Application' and a windows version in MVP.

2. A web and mobile app MVC 'Hotel Reservation Application' which will be integrated with the above 'Accounting Application'

5. A web and mobile app MVC 'Forum Application'

We can start working on these projects once enough people have signed up.

Skills required are: HTML, JavaScript, Ajax, CSS, Fireworks, Photoshop, Java, C#, Python, PHP, SQL, Linq to SQL and any more I have not mentioned for the web.

Also you have to let us know the SDLC we will be using for the project.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 6:21pm On Jun 16, 2013
#Stops viewing as guest

#logs in

csharpjava:

5. A web and mobile app MVC 'Forum Application

So after all the hype of the so called association, this is the best you could come up with? management systems? Even with your Software Engineering degree? i thought with all the blabbing you were planning to write an OS from scratch..

Arrant Nonesence!

1 Like

Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 6:40pm On Jun 16, 2013
mj:
Also you have to let us know the SDLC we will be using for the project.

Thanks for your question, I would suggest we use 'Iterative and incremental development' by IBM, this is a modification of the Waterfall Model and will allow us to use a UML diagram.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 6:50pm On Jun 16, 2013
Javanian:
"I thought you were planning to write an OS from scratch.."

If you join our team then an OS from scratch called NaijaOS will be ready within a few years, I'm not joking.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 6:54pm On Jun 16, 2013
Javanian: #Stops viewing as guest

I'm logged in most of the time.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by Javanian: 7:03pm On Jun 16, 2013
csharpjava:

If you join our team then an OS from scratch called NaijaOS will be ready within a few years, I'm not joking.

Sorry, am not eligble to join, i dont have a computer science or software engineering degree. what could a quack programmer like me possibly contribute? I can't read any of those your fancy modelling diagrams. Carry on.
Re: Association Of Nigerian Programmers Online by csharpjava(m): 7:29pm On Jun 16, 2013
Javanian: Sorry, am not eligble to join, i dont have a computer science or software engineering degree. what could a quack programmer like me possibly contribute? I can't read any of those your fancy modelling diagrams. Carry on.

I admit the initial requirements was a bit too much, now anyone studying a programming related course is eligible to join, I hope this will encourage more people to take part in this epic journey that will bring us respect among the programming communities around the world.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Wish To Start Blogging? I May Be Of Help / Two Step Verification Or Authentication Using Sms Api (tutorial) / Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.