Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,374 members, 7,815,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! (19298 Views)

Please Advise A Brother / Suffering Continues On Abuja-Keffi Road / Help! My Sister And Her Husband Want To Remain As Illegal Immigrants In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Richy4(m): 2:14am On Aug 18, 2012
ochi-aha:

@Richy, yes, I am currently in Nigeria. I am talking from the point of view of someone who has a Cousin who was offered admission to a University in Australia. Due to non-available of funds for tuition, the cousin was asked to pay the tuition fees for one academic session, after which the University sent a letter to the Australian High Commission in Nigeria and the said Cousin was granted a Student Visa. The Cousin is presently in his third year of study because the University found a part-time Job for him through which he is able to pay his tuition.

My brother, I do not know how the school authority singled your Cousin out to write a letter to Australian high Commission in Nigeria etc. but I am a product of an Australian institution and I can tell you that the story has so many missing gaps and your cousin need to fill in the blank spaces for you.

Firstly, for you to gain an admission in any higher institution in Australia, you need to show the ability to pay. ie by providing bank statement.

Secondly,if any thing happened while you are studying, eg Death of sponsor or any serious thing that affected the person paying your fee, you would write a letter and provide evidence (eg death certificate) why you can not pay, then the school will grant you to pay by installment. and you must provide that letter every semester. and for you to be granted to pay by installment you most provide another letter and evidence showing that you can really pay by installment or you would be asked to withdraw from school. the school Authority can never find a job for any one.except may by he met with the Dean or any one working in the school who has a friend looking for employee. ask your cousin to tell you what really happened.

Lastly as someone pointed out to you,every student is expected to work 20hours. that is not even enough for the installment not to talk of paying in bulk. so you see the girl did well to stay under her uncle.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by InHimItrust: 2:23am On Aug 18, 2012
Elaineh: My nairalanders,

Please, I need some advice from you yet again. My sister is in a very difficult predicament in London and I don't know how to help her out of this wahala...any constructive and actionable advice will be greatly appreciated.

A little bit of background:

My elder sister has been studying for a Bachelor's in the public health field at a university in London for the past 3 years. These 3 years have been exceedingly difficult for her. Our uncle and aunty pledged to support her financially through the program but every semester when the time would come to pay school fees, come and see fight and struggle. The girl had to beg and plead with them and do all manner of things to get them to pay up. Worse, because they were paying her fees, they took it as an excuse to convert her into a 24-hr nanny, maltreat her, etc. This semester she had a very stubborn American professor who made her life and those of some of her classmates very difficult (she had favorites). One day she threw my sister out of class on test day because she walked in a few minutes late (through no fault of her own) and eventually removed my sister from her module's roster. She maltreated so many students that a group of them lodged a formal complaint against her. Under pressure, the woman evenutually re-enrolled my sister in the course.

Fast forward a few months. My sister had pretty much completed all the coursework for her degree and was on track to finish with a second class upper. All that was remaining was for her to submit one essay to this American professor. My sister slaved away at this essay for a solid two weeks - she wasn't picking me or my mother's calls because she was so focused, she wanted to finish well. She then submitted the essay only to find out a week later that the essay was not graded and she did not receive a mark for the module.She spoke to the professor and the reason she gave was that the essay was supposed to be submitted electronically AND in hard-copy - my sister had only submitted it electronically. My sister had missed the portion of the syllabus that read that it had to be submitted in hard-copy as well, an innocent and honest mistake.

The woman has refused to mark the course point-blank and the university is now insisting that my sister resit that entire module next term (beginning February). The problem? 1) my sister's student visa is expiring in November, 2)my uncle and aunty have withdrawn all financial support from her and will certainly not be ready to pay for an additional term, 3)if she takes one module, she'll be considered a part-time student and thus ineligible for a visa, 4)she's barely managing to feed right now talk less of paying visa application and tuition fees. The school has offered to give her a basic degree, as in 3rd class, but my sister refused because it's an insult - if you know what she has been through these past few years?! It's a miracle that she stayed in school talk less of getting a 2:1. She spoke to a lady at the international student office and the lady said that she cannot help her because the directions for essay submission were very clear. What's more, she said that if my sister appeals the decision, she will have no choice but to bring evidence against her.

Me, I think the American professor has a personal vendetta against my sister for reporting her. She picked my sister as the scapegoat becaause she was the only one in the group (that complained) who is not a British national. They are playing with my sister's life and future and it's simply not fair! embarassed angry sad cry

Can anyone please advise us here? Justwise? Anyone?
Who can we talk to or appeal to? Is there any room for legal recourse? These people have chopped 3 years of my sister's tuition money - they can't do this to her now!

From the sister in question:
Thanks to those of you who were kind enough to advise me on this situation. It's been really helpful! God bless you abundantly. A few others were really judgemental but I take it that you jumped into conclusion because you have no idea what the full story is, but some times it's best not to say anything at all than to worsen an already difficult situation with those negative comments.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by InHimItrust: 2:59am On Aug 18, 2012
[quote author=bermuda1][/quote]

I'm the one in the situation:I think what my sister meant is that our uncle and auntie are the only rich ones in our family! They don't give anyone a dime except if they can be used to serve them. You don't know how many years I had to serve them and raise their kids for them to agree to pay my fee. By the way the house I live in is not theirs but rented by me. They come to my house without telling me and stay for months..........and ask me to leave everything I'm doing and just serve them. You have no idea what the situation is.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by seyenko(m): 4:13am On Aug 18, 2012
Let your sister involve the student union, they respect the opinion of student leaders. She needs to contact them quickly and explain her position, they will advice her and follow her to even the university senate. I had an issue with one bloody Chinese lecturer in the UK who wanted to victimize me. It was the head of student union and head of international student that saved me from repetition.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by edakedkay: 6:15am On Aug 18, 2012
You should have told this yourself to avoid missing vital parts out,i guess your sis was only showing concern. To the problem at hand, i think you've got a very important reason to have missed submitting the hard copy. Get the student union involved and pls be very outspoken while driving home your point. A few questions for you- was it a coursework? What percentage is it capped at? How can you drop from a 2.1 to a 3rd class? What happened to the 2:2 inbetween. It's be'a than a 3rd class. If a coursework, you'll be asked to redo it and that shouldn't take you till november, when your visa finally expires. Everything can be done in a hurry if you told them you dont plan on staying beyond the expiration of your visa. on the other hand start prepping yourself for an extention in case the tide turns. Get your friends to borrow you some money to put in your account for this purpose. Try getting a full-time job so you can pay back since you're not actually living with your relatives and also pay for that particular module (you cant be asked to pay an entire term's fee). Just prepare ahead. But really,i had a friend who was asked to repeat because he failed more than 3 courses and he only paid for these particular courses while others who failed between one and three,resat the exams. Don't forget to add some serious prayers too in all of these.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by justwise(m): 6:28am On Aug 18, 2012
@InHimItrust

Did you involve your student union and the mitigation team in this case? I'm still surprised that the school did not even give you the opportunity to retake the module this July/August Referral session even as its your first attempt?
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by claremont(m): 8:23am On Aug 18, 2012
This story get k-leg. We will never know what the true story is. . .
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Olaone1: 10:27am On Aug 18, 2012
InHimItrust:

I'm the sister in question! My sister didn't tell you the whole story. My university changed the the submission rule to electronic copy only in my final year. We had always submitted hard copy and electronic copy until the new rule was established.I relied on the new rule and missed the lecturer's personal request for a hard copy submission

Okay. I apologise for my insinuation.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Olaone1: 10:32am On Aug 18, 2012
Get your Student Union involved.

Don't go to CAB (Citizen Advice Bureau). Or similar quangos, please.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 18, 2012
@inhimitrust

Take whatever work you did at your aunts house as working for your education. It may hurt because they are your relatives but if you were to do this on your own, I assure you you would have not made it this far, the financial pressure to simply survive would have taken you out of school since.
UK is very different from Nigeria in terms of relatives helping with education fees, many of us have experienced it so suck it up as life and move. It may seem difficult but be grateful.

About your course module, there must be recourse, you made 70% at you dissertation? If the new rule was made does it not override the professors rule, at least it should require some marks for that coursework not a ZERO for the whole module.
Please confirm the school regulations on marks please
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Lexusgs430: 11:56pm On Aug 23, 2012
If she was studying so hard to submit this essay and in the process went incommunicado, how come she missed the main body of the essay requesting two forms of submission?
Studying in the UK also involves a lot of networking with fellow students, was she been a snub?
There seems to be so many unplugged holes or excuse for failure.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ochiaha1(m): 2:40pm On Aug 24, 2012
@edakedkay, I read your other posts, as you suggested, and you sounded very calm and reasonable in them. Why have you suddenly turned into a verbal, aggresive writter against me? I dont understand

Anyway, you remind me of a certain lady involved in the Arts, who also attended Imperial College London, who is also very equally vociferous in a nice way. Due to the above reason, I will sheath my sword and suggest we agree to a truce, okay. smiley
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by nuelnuel: 7:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
ochi-aha:

@Richy, yes, I am currently in Nigeria. I am talking from the point of view of someone who has a Cousin who was offered admission to a University in Australia. Due to non-available of funds for tuition, the cousin was asked to pay the tuition fees for one academic session, after which the University sent a letter to the Australian High Commission in Nigeria and the said Cousin was granted a Student Visa. The Cousin is presently in his third year of study because the University found a part-time Job for him through which he is able to pay his tuition.
What's the name of the uni?
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by 677ano(m): 9:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
InHimItrust:

I'm the sister in question! My sister didn't tell you the whole story. My university changed the the submission rule to electronic copy only in my final year. We had always submitted hard copy and electronic copy until the new rule was established.I relied on the new rule and missed the lecturer's personal request for a hard copy submission

If you feel you have been victimized by the lecturer request a judicial review through your school academic board or write to your local MP and ask him to request judicial review on your behalf.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by justwise(m): 10:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
677ano:

If you feel you have been victimized by the lecturer request a judicial review through your school academic board or write to your local MP and ask him to request judicial review on your behalf.

Are you for real?
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by edakedkay: 10:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
@Ochi-aha, DEAL. Sorry if i pushed the wrong button
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by lucabrasi(m): 10:33pm On Sep 06, 2012
@poster
i did my undergraduate in the united kingdom as well and i really don't believe a lecturer can make you rest a whole module just because you missed the deaden for an essay..the worst the lecturer can do is to deduct marks depending on how many days late your sister's coursework was..and she can't even arbitrarily remove marks because there are guidelines which will be in your sister's student handbook as well.
now lets even assume even though its highly unlikely that she was failed for the coursework,in final year(3rd) the dissertation makes up 75% of total grades and coursework's make u only 25% so even if she fails her coursework she will still get an average pass to graduate..i believe the whole story has not been disclosed here.it is not possible for a single lecturer to victimise a student in a uk university because every university has guidelines in place to checkmate it..its not a nigerian university where a lecturer is GOD i have seen people abuse lecturers,and i have had lecturers who are racist yet they would dare not fail you or mark you down without proper reasons because no lecturer would want to damage their years of experience just for some students
however generally speaking,its sad but true that the uk is getting increasingly tough for students and you gys are lucky your sister is in her final year
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by lucabrasi(m): 10:34pm On Sep 06, 2012
@busy body
friedship werrin dey happen long time how east london peeps them smiley
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Nobody: 8:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
seedord247:

Is that what you call appeal in Naija sir?

Deaddd, at this reply...
...also cracked up at the post you quoted
Gawd!
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Few Nigerians Work As Cabin-Crew On International Airlines? / Reasons Lagos Will Remain King And What Other States Should Do To Dethrone It / Africa's First Underground Bullet Train - Gautrain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.