Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish (2282 Views)

Chinese Man Speaking Pidgin On Plane To A Nigeria Woman During A Fight / Flight From Nigeria To Sweden / Nigerians In Sweden, How Is The Economy And Life Generally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish by carolgreen702: 2:09am On Aug 16, 2012
Hi guys.
After my studies I would like to move together with my girlfriend in Sweden. My only concern is, that (so far) I don't speak a word of Swedish. My girlfriend thinks this won't be a problem as most people in Sweden speak English very well. What do you think?
Re: Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish by naijaspeak(m): 4:18am On Aug 16, 2012
Your girlfriend is correct, english language is becoming popular these days in most non english society and this of course include the scandinavian countries ( Sweden,Norway,Finland,Iceland and Denmark etc) Many years back their citizen did not understand a dime of the queen 's language. But their goverment later understand that this is causing a set back to their society. This prompted the government of the scandinavia to ensure that schools most especially their university is tuition-free for International student. This policy paid off as it attracted many african students from english speaking countries and of course Nigerian where top on the list of international student who were admitted. The large presence of the English speaking International student changed their society for good as their citizens were pressured to learn english at a faster pace as they soon realise that they were loosing something despite their civilization and advancement in technology. This english speaking student also made many europeans to develop interest in english of which they either travelled abroad to learn english while others attended language school to improve on the few they learnt in the course of social interaction with Nigerians. The foreign student also learn the language of the host countries.

Coming back to your question, I feel strongly that you need to learn Swedish if you have the intention of working or doing business as that will give you an edge. Take note, despite the fact that most swedes understand english, their government sees it as a thing of national pride to encourage their language and cultures. Hence, swedish is high spoken and use at all offices and business places.

You will do yourself a lot of good to learn the language. I think the University of Stockholm offers courses in Swedis
h. There are equally some small language school that teaches swedish to Tourist visiting sweden. They also offer summer courses in swedish.

Some countries like Russia,Ukraine,Republic of Georgia, Armenia,Belarus and Azerbaijan are learning from the experiences of the Scandinavian countries by encouraging english speaking student to come to study in their country by making their school cheap and affordable. In return their country benefit from the presence of english speakers who daily interact with their citizen.
Re: Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish by Vicjustice: 9:45am On Aug 17, 2012
carolgreen702: Hi guys.
After my studies I would like to move together with my girlfriend in Sweden. My only concern is, that (so far) I don't speak a word of Swedish. My girlfriend thinks this won't be a problem as most people in Sweden speak English very well. What do you think?
Basically, you wouldn't need the English language to survive in a Scandinavian county because, English is widely understood by almost everyone, I've never seen a Swedish person who is not fluent in English language
Re: Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish by mich2012: 12:12pm On Aug 17, 2012
Vicjustice: Basically, you wouldn't need the English language to survive in a Scandinavian county because, English is widely understood by almost everyone, I've never seen a Swedish person who is not fluent in English language

1001 of them and those who can speak are shy to speak it. The first question a "typical" Swede would ask you is "kan du prata Svenska?" meaning can you speak Swedish?, if you say no then you observe that he/she starts withdrawing from you gradually. Having said that, most of them can express themselves very well in English.
@OP, if you plan settling down in Sweden and you do not intend to throw papers (or reklam) in the xtreme weather conditions in the night/mornings for the rest of your stay, please I beg you in the name of God, go enroll at the nearest SFI and dedicate your time and energy to it. But again, speaking the best Swedish doesn't guarantee you anything reasonable in Sweden as it's one ethnocentric Country (don't know a better word to have used) as in the case of a popular fluent Swedish- Spoken,Sweden-born Ghanaian who left Sweden for the States, but it prepares you for an opportunity when it comes knocking. If you are into Engineering/IT/Embedded Systems etc and good at it, you stand a better chance and if you find an opportunity in Ericsson, Bombardier, ABB and co, Swedish language may not be a hindrance. Btw, enjoy your blondie, I hope say no be fat one u carry oh grin grin cheers mate!
Re: Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish by rafcrown(m): 10:02am On Aug 18, 2012
JAG KAN iNTE PRATA SVENKA.To learn the language ,if you understand English Language would not be difficult.FREE AND EASY TO LEARN.
Re: Move To Sweden Without Speaking Swedish by Vicjustice: 10:38am On Aug 18, 2012
mich2012:

1001 of them and those who can speak are shy to speak it. The first question a "typical" Swede would ask you is "kan du prata Svenska?" meaning can you speak Swedish?, if you say no then you observe that he/she starts withdrawing from you gradually. Having said that, most of them can express themselves very well in English...
Perhaps there are "1001" of them, but I'm yet to see a modern generation Swede who does not understand English

(1) (Reply)

Medical Study In The Caribbean:is It Possible To Do Part Time Jobs? / Are There Any Risk Of Using Another Country Palli/passport To Travel. / @ Akolawole,mr Pataki,paribus,vor,vicjustice,londoncool,salsera & Funkybabe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.