Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,167 members, 7,835,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? (7571 Views)

What Is Cloud Hosting: How Does It Really Work? / Contains Instruments To Publish Your Website, Make Forms, And Prepare Internet A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 20, 2012
pls i need help on how to get traffic on my blog, i know Rome wasn't built in a day ie (nairaland, linda ikeji etc,) but seriously it can be so painful!!! when u regularly update your blog with the right keywords,e.tc and still dont get regular comments!!! embarassed embarassed, or little traffic of just 200 to 500 per day undecided
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 20, 2012
ledynamite: pls i need help on how to get traffic on my blog, i know Rome wasn't built in a day ie (nairaland, linda ikeji etc,) but seriously it can be so painful!!! when u regularly update your blog with the right keywords,e.tc and still dont get regular comments!!! embarassed embarassed, or little traffic of just 200 to 500 per day undecided
go start building a facebook fan page and direct the traffic to your blog for a start. My fan page @ www.facebook.com/justhavefuns is almost on 20,000 mark within just two-three months. Thanks to two kind hearted ladies who said they loved the page concept and would love to be part of it and I made them content creators. They help update the page regularly for free(without payment) and get new likes... I don't even bother of the page existence cos I know the babes are fullly in charge grin .. Babes noni! grin
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Aug 20, 2012
onatisi:
if i tell u something u will laugh,all the terms u used or mentioned sounds like latin to me ,i dont know one of them, pls do u have the time now to explain what is dedicted server,phb and all others ? and like how much will someone need ?i hope no offence taken

A dedicated server is a computer that will run your website,forum or some other web application and nothing else. It can be expensive to rent a dedicated server from a web host. However, if you are starting out, you may need to start with shared hosting. If your forum or websites or blog gets more traffic than your shared host server can handle, you can later migrate to dedicated server. http://www.hostgator.com/dedicated

Phpbb is a free open source program you can use to create your own forum without the need of technical knowledge of programming. Below is the link, you can go through it and educate yourself https://www.phpbb.com/

If you need in depth knowledge, I can forward you an easy to read E-book that covers a whole lot of these in a simplified form.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by mrkels(m): 12:16am On Aug 22, 2012
naptu2: I almost forgot. It is google that decides which adverts go on which website. The website owner has no say in this. This fact sometimes exposes the website owner to criticisms.
For example, during campaigns for the 2011 elections, google placed some candidate's adverts on nairaland. Nairalanders accused Seun of being partisan and supporting the candidates, because they saw the adverts, even though Seun had nothing to do with those adverts.
(The adverts are usually at the top, bottom, or side of the nairaland page. It might be just one line of text).
[size=13pt]all you said is true except one smaaaaal detail-''It is google that decides which adverts go on which website. The website owner has no say in this'' what you should know is advertisers can advertise on a. Particular site they want their ads to show on through google,google provides this option[/size]
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 9:56am On Aug 22, 2012
Yeah. I said that. The advertiser can point his ad at a particular website, although that doesn't mean his ad will appear there. He'l have to bid if the website is popular. At the end of the day Google decides. However, the website owner has no say in this (if he did he wouldn't need google).

Thanks for bringing me back to this issue. I finally found the thread I was looking for (the "how to advertise on nairaland thread)

mrkels:
[size=13pt]all you said is true except one smaaaaal detail-''It is google that decides which adverts go on which website. The website owner has no say in this'' what you should know is advertisers can advertise on a. Particular site they want their ads to show on through google,google provides this option[/size]

naptu2: In summary

There are 3 parties

(1) Website owner who wants money, but might not have the resources to chase advertisers.

2) Company that wants to advertise to the greatest number of people possible.

3) Google which brings the advertiser and website owner together.

Companies that want to advertise (eg, tradestable, coca cola or mercedes benz) register with google under a programme called adwords.

Websites that need advertisement (eg nairaland) also register with google under a programme called adsense.

Google places the advert (eg tradestable's, coca cola's or benz's advert) on the website. Anytime somebody clicks on the advert the company will pay google and google will pay nairaland. This is what's called "per click payment".

In some cases, anytime someone sees the advert (even without clicking) the company will pay google and google will share the money with the website owner. This is "payment per impression" (or per hit).

Characteristics of google adverts.

Google adverts are less intrusive. Some people complain about the huge adverts and pop up adverts on websites. Therefore, Google ensures that the adverts it places are less intrusive (sometimes the adverts are just one line of text).

2)Targeted: Google scans the words on the web page and places adverts that are related to the words on the page. For example, if the thread is about education, google will place adverts for after school lessons. If the thread is about military, google will place adverts for military supplies. This increases the likelihood of somebody clicking on the advert because it is relevant to people reading the web page.

In this way, owners of small websites can get advertisement revenue from big companies without having to convince the marketing manager to advertise on their site and without having to pay a kobo.

Rules

1) You must not use certain phrases (I'm not going to use them here) to try to encourage people to click on your adverts. Google will suspend you if you do.

2) You must not use certain words. Google will ban you if you do. Nairaland was once banned, that's why Seun uses a word censor that changes your words.

Websites that have huge traffic might get increased revenue because advertisers will need to bid in order to have their ads on the website.

I keep hearing that, in Nigeria, nairaland and Linda Ikeji's blog get the most adsense revenue.

naptu2: I almost forgot. It is google that decides which adverts go on which website. The website owner has no say in this. This fact sometimes exposes the website owner to criticisms.

For example, during campaigns for the 2011 elections, google placed some candidate's adverts on nairaland. Nairalanders accused Seun of being partisan and supporting the candidates, because they saw the adverts, even though Seun had nothing to do with those adverts.

(The adverts are usually at the top, bottom, or side of the nairaland page. It might be just one line of text).

[size=14pt]How To Advertise On Nairaland by Seun(m): 3:55pm On Apr 16, 2010 [/size]

Hello sir/ma,

Thanks for your interest in advertising on Nairaland.

All third party advertising on Nairaland is managed by Google Adwords.  Visit http://adwords.google.com/ to join the programme or http://adwords.google.com/support/ for online support.  To place ads on Nairaland, start a site-targeted campaign and point it at nairaland.com.

The amount you pay depends on how many clicks or impressions you get, and you can post both text ads and banner ads of the right size: Leaderboard (728 x 90) and Wide Skyscraper (160x600).

Hope this helps.  Google can provide you with answers to any questions you may have.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa. [seun at nairaland dot com]

https://www.nairaland.com/431782/how-advertise-nairaland
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2012
What do you think of the new Nairaland? It appears Seun has started taking ads directly, rather than depending on Google.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2012
naptu2: What do you think of the new Nairaland? It appears Seun has started taking ads directly, rather than depending on Google.
i just hope it doesnt affect the quality of the page i am guessing there will be too muc ads as time goes on , it is good for seun but it must disturb or affect the main contents

(1) (2) (Reply)

Facebook’s New Search Engine Graph Search: What it means For Nigerian Users / It’s Amazing, Websites Can Now Accept Interswitch Payments Free! / Holi Love SMS & Messages For Girlfriend And Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.