Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,653 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? (7564 Views)

What Is Cloud Hosting: How Does It Really Work? / Contains Instruments To Publish Your Website, Make Forms, And Prepare Internet A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisii: 10:08am On Aug 17, 2012
pls webmasters i need some enlightenment on this issue.nairaland is not surviving on charity or donations and i cant see much adverts either.ok a topic was posted this morning on the front pge of jim iyke eaten corn and withing 3hours it already has 13000hits.some ppl are saying nl makes money from hits.pls how does a site makes money from the number of hits or traffic
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 6:56am On Aug 18, 2012
Google AdSense is a program run by Google Inc. that allows publishers in the Google Network of content sites to serve automatic text, image, video, and rich media adverts that are targeted to site content and audience. These adverts are administered, sorted, and maintained by Google, and they can generate revenue on either a per-click or per-impression basis. Google beta-tested a cost-per-action service, but discontinued it in October 2008 in favor of a DoubleClick offering (also owned by Google).[2] In Q1 2011, Google earned US$2.43 billion ($9.71 billion annualized), or 28% of total revenue, through Google AdSense.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdSense
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 7:03am On Aug 18, 2012
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 12:44pm On Aug 18, 2012
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by zangiff(m): 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2012
Adsense rocks for site with huge traffic
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 3:00am On Aug 19, 2012
so
from what all contributors hve said now there are two ways of making money from a site and tat is advert nd google adsense.but i am a newbie nd from what i can see here i dont see ny google advert and how does nairaland profits google in order for them to pay nl anything?sorry ,like i sid earlier i am a newbie
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 6:02am On Aug 19, 2012
In summary

There are 3 parties

(1) Website owner who wants money, but might not have the resources to chase advertisers.

2) Company that wants to advertise to the greatest number of people possible.

3) Google which brings the advertiser and website owner together.

Companies that want to advertise (eg, tradestable, coca cola or mercedes benz) register with google under a programme called adwords.

Websites that need advertisement (eg nairaland) also register with google under a programme called adsense.

Google places the advert (eg tradestable's, coca cola's or benz's advert) on the website. Anytime somebody clicks on the advert the company will pay google and google will pay nairaland. This is what's called "per click payment".

In some cases, anytime someone sees the advert (even without clicking) the company will pay google and google will share the money with the website owner. This is "payment per impression" (or per hit).

Characteristics of google adverts.

Google adverts are less intrusive. Some people complain about the huge adverts and pop up adverts on websites. Therefore, Google ensures that the adverts it places are less intrusive (sometimes the adverts are just one line of text).

2)Targeted: Google scans the words on the web page and places adverts that are related to the words on the page. For example, if the thread is about education, google will place adverts for after school lessons. If the thread is about military, google will place adverts for military supplies. This increases the likelihood of somebody clicking on the advert because it is relevant to people reading the web page.

In this way, owners of small websites can get advertisement revenue from big companies without having to convince the marketing manager to advertise on their site and without having to pay a kobo.

Rules

1) You must not use certain phrases (I'm not going to use them here) to try to encourage people to click on your adverts. Google will suspend you if you do.

2) You must not use certain words. Google will ban you if you do. Nairaland was once banned, that's why Seun uses a word censor that changes your words.

Websites that have huge traffic might get increased revenue because advertisers will need to bid in order to have their ads on the website.

I keep hearing that, in Nigeria, nairaland and Linda Ikeji's blog get the most adsense revenue.

1 Like

Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Chrisvicmall: 6:18am On Aug 19, 2012
In a nutshell, currently, 99.9% (if not 1000%) of Nairaland revenue comes from Google Adsense(hope you know what it is).

Questions and Answers?

1.) How does Nairaland makes money?
Nairaland makes money when someone clicks on the adverts that appear on Nairaland website. Or sometimes Nairaland might make money from impressions(also known as hits). This depends on the agreement with google and the owner of the advert.

2.) Why do people always say that Nairaland makes money from hits?
Newtons third law of motion states that "Action and Reaction are equal and opposite". You can see this on Nairaland when there are a lot of hits. The more hits a thread gets, the more likely people will click on the ads that appear on the thread. Take the thread of Jim Iyke for example, with 13000 hits, it is likely that about 500-1000 people will click on the advert that appear on the page. Now do the maths, if the owner of the ads pays google 2usd for each ads, google will give Nairaland 65% - 80 % of the money. Now suppose that Seun gets 0.8usd for each click, now multiple 0.8usd by 500 - 1000 people. That is only within 3hrs and just coming from one thread.

3.) Where do those ads on Nairaland come from?
The ads that appear on Nairaland comes from Adwords owned by Google. Adwords is a program own by google that enable website owners to advertise their websites.

4.)I don't see google adverts on Nairaland. What is wrong?
If you do not see adverts on Nairaland, it is likely that
a.) You are browsing Nairaland with a phone, or tablet device.
b.) You might be using one of software that block ads from appearing on a page. For example Adblocker
c.) You cannot differentiate an ad from a really website content
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 6:24am On Aug 19, 2012
Basically, in the last year or so Seun has been trying to increase his reach. He brought Nairaland 2 in order to appeal to mobile phone users and to corner the mobile phone market. Of course, some people who are used to the old nairaland complained, but the only constant thing in life is change and nairaland has to be dynamic if it wants to be competitive.

Secondly, nairaland wants to be all things to all people (which is why you have the different sections), but until recently, some sections were practically dead and stories from those sections rarely appeared on the home page. Now there's greater diversity on the homepage in order to attract people of different tastes (I think the pictures on homepage are meant to attract people who would otherwise have gone to Linda Ikeji's blog).

Entertainment stories attract a lot of first time users. Nollywood and Nigerian music are big right across Africa. Musicians and actors have fans across the continent. The idea is that When a fan googles a star's name, nairaland should be the first, second or third website they see. In 2006, anytime I searched for 2face I would find that the top three suggestions would be from nairaland. Also, Mukina2 searches the internet for trending stories (on twitter, facebook, newspapers, etc), then searches nairaland for the same stories. If the stories are already on nairaland she sends it to the front page. If they are not, she creates the thread and sends it to front page.

Thirdly, Seun has realised that there are trolls and bullies who make it difficult for some people to post. The trolls/bullies insult people at the slightest opportunity, intimidate and make fun of people. Expect to see such people getting hefty bans in future.

1 Like

Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 6:38am On Aug 19, 2012
I almost forgot. It is google that decides which adverts go on which website. The website owner has no say in this. This fact sometimes exposes the website owner to criticisms.

For example, during campaigns for the 2011 elections, google placed some candidate's adverts on nairaland. Nairalanders accused Seun of being partisan and supporting the candidates, because they saw the adverts, even though Seun had nothing to do with those adverts.

(The adverts are usually at the top, bottom, or side of the nairaland page. It might be just one line of text).

1 Like

Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 9:13am On Aug 19, 2012
@naptu,i have this to see ,you are the best teacher in the world,ur use of simple words to explain very complex structues deserves an aplause.you should have try and train ppl ,you really have the gift of quality expression ,once again thank you.
now i know what i need to know
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 19, 2012
naptu2: In summary

There are 3 parties

(1) Website owner who wants money, but might not have the resources to chase advertisers.

Companies that want to advertise (eg, tradestable, coca cola or mercedes benz) register with google under a programme called adwords.

Websites that need advertisement (eg nairaland) also register with google under a programme called adsense.

Google places the advert (eg tradestable's, coca cola's or benz's advert) on the website. Anytime somebody clicks on the advert the company will pay google and google will pay nairaland. This is what's called "per click payment".

In some cases, anytime someone sees the advert (even without clicking) the company will pay google and google will share the money with the website owner. This is "payment per impression" (or per hit).

Google adverts are less intrusive. Some people complain about the huge adverts and pop up adverts on websites. Therefore, Google ensures that the adverts it places are less intrusive (sometimes the adverts are just one line of text).

2)Targeted: Google scans the words on the web page and places adverts that are related to the words on the page. For example, if the thread is about education, google will place adverts for after school lessons. If the thread is about military, google will place adverts for military supplies. This increases the likelihood of somebody clicking on the advert because it is relevant to people reading the web page.

In this way, owners of small websites can get advertisement revenue from big companies without having to convince the marketing manager to advertise on their site and without having to pay a kobo.

Rules

1) You must not use certain phrases (I'm not going to use them here) to try to encourage people to click on your adverts. Google will suspend you if you do.

2) You must not use certain words. Google will ban you if you do. Nairaland was once banned, that's why Seun uses a word censor that changes your words.

Websites that have huge traffic might get increased revenue because advertisers will need to bid in order to have their ads on the website.

I keep hearing that, in Nigeria, nairaland and Linda Ikeji's blog get the most adsense revenue.

Top Notch. Classic. Wonderful analysis. You know your stuff.

Are you into internet marketing ?
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 10:29am On Aug 19, 2012
Olodostein:

Top Notch. Classic. Wonderful analysis. You know your stuff.

Are you into internet marketing ?
that guy is good ,the way he broke everything down to pieces all within a small space is still a wonder to me.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 10:40am On Aug 19, 2012
I don't know how a website makes money from direct hits. I know just like many other establishments, revenue of a website is generated majorly from adverts either from Google adsence/any other pay per click or direct advert.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:
that guy is good ,the way he broke everything down to pieces all within a small space is still a wonder to me.

You are right. He is not only good, he was passionate, very logical and open minded about it.

The best analyst I have ever come across on Nairaland.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 11:08am On Aug 19, 2012
Olodostein:

You are right. He is not only good, he was passionate, very logical and open minded about it.

The best analyst I have ever come across on Nairaland.

from what i can deduce now ,the major thing is getting to know what ppl want to hear or read about and that brings in the traffic.i have been to other forum site and i must confess nl stands out ,other were dry and some sort of complicted i think the simplicity of registering and posting comment nd topics is what is giving nl an edge over others,although i havent seen the blog of linda ikeji.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 11:11am On Aug 19, 2012
Una be fool: I don't know how a website makes money from direct hits. I know just like many other establishments, revenue of a website is generated majorly from adverts either from Google adsence/any other pay per click or direct advert.

pls read the whole thread nd posts carefully there is nothing more u need to know that naptu2 hasnt touched.so take ur time and read through carefully.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:

pls read the whole thread nd posts carefully there is nothing more u need to know that naptu2 hasnt touched.so take ur time and read through carefully.
Yeah I did. Nairaland is much more than just a forum but a university with qualified lecturers and naptu2 is the vice chancellor. UNIVERSITY OF NAIRALAND cool
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 11:46am On Aug 19, 2012
Una be fool: Yeah I did. Nairaland is much more than just a forum but a university with qualified lecturers and naptu2 is the vice chancellor. UNIVERSITY OF NAIRALAND cool
why cant seun employ ppl like this as mods ,insted of having some ppl who regrd themselves as king solomon the wisest man.
i must also commend the moderator for doing his job well,unlike some other mods.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:
from what i can deduce now ,the major thing is getting to know what ppl want to hear or read about and that brings in the traffic.i have been to other forum site and i must confess nl stands out ,other were dry and some sort of complicted i think the simplicity of registering and posting comment nd topics is what is giving nl an edge over others,although i havent seen the blog of linda ikeji.

Yes, you are right. You have to feed into the psyche of the average consumer. This is human psychology at play here.

This is what we have to deduce from this: You can tell where a nation is headed by the interest of the average populace.

At the of the end of the day, it all boils down to hits and making money.

Nairaland has been online for 7years. They have learned and perfected the game. The forum simplicity and customization is a class of its own; marketing strategy is on the money.

If other forums need to be on par, they need to step up their game, customize and market themselves.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:
why cant seun employ ppl like this as mods ,insted of having some ppl who regrd themselves as king solomon the wisest man.
i must also commend the moderator for doing his job well,unlike some other mods.
Who the moderator is do'nt really bother me. All that concerns me is catch some fun cool. What is the benefit being a moderator by the way? There should be a benefit because I cant spend the whole time of the day locking threads,deleting spam,banning members for nothing... grin Nothing goes for nothing grin
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2012
come to think of it ,nairaland is really doing nothing just providing the platform for ppl to discuss,i will say it is the traffic that brings the traffic,it is we the members that source the news ,we create topics,and we discuss all seun and mods need to do is just sit and watch.we re actually the one working for them
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 12:49pm On Aug 19, 2012
Olodostein:

Yes, you are right. You have to feed into the psyche of the average consumer. This is human psychology at play here.

This is what we have to deduce from this: You can tell where a nation is headed by the interest of the average populace.

At the of the end of the day, it all boils down to hits and making money.

Nairaland has been online for 7years. They have learned and perfected the game. The forum simplicity and customization is a class of its own; marketing strategy is on the money.

If other forums need to be on par, they need to step up their game, customize and market themselves.
this is really good.i am learning very fast,too bad i am not skilled in web designing
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 1:01pm On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:

For example, this is the link to Linda's blog http://lindaikeji..com/

She is usually the first with controversial and gossip stories. She broke the absu rape story. Check out the number of pictures on her site. You can see the Clifford Orji story @ the top.

That's the way they bring in traffic. The only criticism people have of Seun is that he doesn't do enough marketing. People say he should appear on tv and radio shows (conventional media). Conventional media would love to interview him and this would create more awareness for nairaland (Linda Ikeji was interviewed by CNN last week). However some say that Seun is shy, that's why he doesn't want to attract publicity to his person. Seun (himself) says that he is satisfied with the way he makes his money (current model).
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Chubhie: 1:33pm On Aug 19, 2012
naptu2: In summary

There are 3 parties

Rules

Senior lecturer. Seun needs to get you as a senior special advisor on new media.

1 Like

Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:
this is really good.i am learning very fast,too bad i am not skilled in web designing

In this day and age, one don't have to be skilled in web design. There are available forum solutions that you can also customize yourself. Like phpbb, forumatic,simple machines,vbulletin( first three are free open source solutions) and so on; you host it on a dedicated server and consult New media and internet marketing consultant guru like Naptu and you are good to go.

You can start small and once it picks up heavy traffic, you can source for constructive Mods. All you need is the temperament and time on your hands.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 2:00pm On Aug 19, 2012
Olodostein:

In this day and age, one don't have to be skilled in web design. There are available forum solutions that you can also customize yourself. Like phpbb, forumatic,simple machines,vbulletin( first three are free open source solutions) and so on; you host it on a dedicated server and consult New media and internet marketing consultant guru like Naptu and you are good to go.

You can start small and once it picks up heavy traffic, you can source for constructive Mods. All you need is the temperament and time on your hands.
if i tell u something u will laugh,all the terms u used or mentioned sounds like latin to me ,i dont know one of them, pls do u have the time now to explain what is dedicted server,phb and all others ? and like how much will someone need ?i hope no offence taken
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 19, 2012
naptu2:

For example, this is the link to Linda's blog http://lindaikeji..com/

She is usually the first with controversial and gossip stories. She broke the absu rape story. Check out the number of pictures on her site. You can see the Clifford Orji story @ the top.

That's the way they bring in traffic. The only criticism people have of Seun is that he doesn't do enough marketing. People say he should appear on tv and radio shows (conventional media). Conventional media would love to interview him and this would create more awareness for nairaland (Linda Ikeji was interviewed by CNN last week). However some say that Seun is shy, that's why he doesn't want to attract publicity to his person. Seun (himself) says that he is satisfied with the way he makes his money (current model).

Does Linda Ikeji writes any of her articles on her blog?
Does she have reporters on the ground ?
Is there a likelyhood that it is unfair and bridge of copywrite law to the original authors and newwspapers of these articles to have their content splash on blogs and forums without their consent ?

Research articles and materials in any field are an exception though.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Aug 19, 2012
onatisi:
if i tell u something u will laugh,all the terms u used or mentioned sounds like latin to me ,i dont know one of them, pls do u have the time now to explain what is dedicted server,phb and all others ? and like how much will someone need ?i hope no offence taken

Its all good. I am typing on my phone. If you can be patient, later in the evening when i get on my laptop, i will give you detail guidelines and links on how to go about it.

But i must say that it involves reading a lot of materials. The good thing is that, you don't need to start learning client and server side languages - it has been taken care of by the open source community. However, knowledge of it later on would add too your strength and flexibility.
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by onatisi(m): 2:21pm On Aug 19, 2012
Olodostein:

Its all good. I am typing on my phone. If you can be patient, later in the evening when i get on my laptop, i will give you detail guidelines and links on how to go about it.

But i must say that it involves reading a lot of materials. The good thing is that, you don't need to start learning client and server side languages - it has been taken care of by the open source community. However, knowledge of it later on would add too your strength and flexibility.
thanks a lot.i will be grateful if u can do that,i know it may be tedious and time consuming.thanks
Re: How Does A Website Make Money From Hits? by naptu2: 10:58am On Aug 20, 2012
Olodostein:

Does Linda Ikeji writes any of her articles on her blog?
Does she have reporters on the ground ?
Is there a likelyhood that it is unfair and bridge of copywrite law to the original authors and newwspapers of these articles to have their content splash on blogs and forums without their consent ?

Research articles and materials in any field are an exception though.

There's an article I read in which she describes how, when she started the blog, she used to write all her articles herself, but now she has reporters that she sends to gather info. People also send her material that she uses on her blog.

Regarding newspapers and other online content, If I post an article, from a newspaper, on nairaland I would also post a link to the original article. If I don't post the link the moderators will give me stress and might even delete my post/thread. Newspapers and websites allow this to happen because it brings more traffic to their site. In this way many people discover websites for the first time. So while nairaland benefits, the original authors/websites also benefit.

However, some conventional media managers have complained about this practice. Last year, Rupert Murdoch and Ted Turner issued a statement in which they stated that they were considering making facebook pay for articles, pictures, videos etc from their newspapers/tv stations that are posted on facebook.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Facebook’s New Search Engine Graph Search: What it means For Nigerian Users / It’s Amazing, Websites Can Now Accept Interswitch Payments Free! / 5 Reasons Why Many Bloggers Choosed Blogger Over Wordpress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.