Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead (7000 Views)

Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Presenter Flashes Serbian Prime Minister In Prank Interview / Shocking: Australian Prime Minister Stoned By Protesters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:14am On Aug 21, 2012
Any Prophesy about this sudden loss by our Dear Pastor in the Lord?

Meles Zenawi, Ethiopia's long-time ruler who held tight control over this East African country but was a major U.S counter-terrorism ally, died of an undisclosed illness after not being seen in public for weeks, Ethiopian state television said Tuesday. He was 57.

Meles died Monday just before midnight after contracting an infection, state TV announced Tuesday. Hailemariam Desalegn, who was appointed deputy prime minister and minister of foreign affairs in 2010, is now in charge of the Cabinet, state TV said.

Meles hadn't been seen in public for about two months. In mid-July, after Meles did not attend a meeting of heads of state of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia's capital, speculation increased that his health problems were serious.

Ethiopian officials gave no details and said the prime minister was in "very good" health and would return to office soon, but international officials said quietly it was unlikely he would recover.

The U.S. has long viewed Meles as a strong security partner and has given hundreds of millions of dollars in aid over the years. U.S. military drones that patrol East Africa — especially over Somalia — are stationed in Ethiopia.

Though a U.S. ally, Ethiopia has long been criticized by human rights groups for the government's strict control. Dissent is met with a strict government response.

During Meles' election win in 2005, when it appeared the opposition was likely to make gains, Meles tightened security across the country, and on the night of the election he declared a state of emergency, outlawing any public gathering as his ruling party claimed a majority win. Opposition members accused Meles of rigging the election, and demonstrations broke out. Security forces moved in, killing hundreds of people and jailing thousands.

In 2010 Meles won another five years in office while receiving a reported 99 percent of the vote. Meles is the longtime chairman of the Tigray People's Liberation Front and has always identified strongly with his party.

"I cannot separate my achievements from what can be considered as the achievements of the ruling party. Whatever achievement there might have been, it does not exist independent of that party," Meles once said when asked what he thought would be his legacy.

State TV on Tuesday showed pictures of Meles as classical music played in the background.

Born on May 8, 1955, Meles became president in 1991 and prime minister in 1995, a position that is both the head of the federal government and armed forces.

Meles grew up in the northern town of Adwa, where his father had 13 siblings from multiple women. He moved to the capital, Addis Ababa, on a scholarship after completing an eight-year elementary education in just five.

State TV said funeral arrangements would be announced soon.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/meles-zenawi-ethiopia-longtime-ruler-major-u-s-counter-terrorism-ally-dies-57-article-1.1140947
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by floriana(m): 6:30am On Aug 21, 2012
TB Joshua is right now in his editing suite editing the video of this particular prediction. It will be ready soon. Stay tuned.
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by OYINBOGOJU(m): 6:33am On Aug 21, 2012
floriana: TB Joshua is right now in his editing suite editing the video of this particular prediction. It will be ready soon. Stay tuned.

I know he must have said something about a leader anyway

We have millions of leaders in the world and if One die everyday there will still be another leader

Which means he will always be right about loss of leader revelation.

2 Likes

Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by westside6: 6:42am On Aug 21, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

We have millions of leaders in the world and if One die everyday there will still be another leader

People should not incurr d wrath of God by always insulting Prophet TB Joshua, he is a true MOG. Please leave him alone for ur own good.

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by achi4u(m): 6:53am On Aug 21, 2012
westside6: People should not incurr d wrath of God by always insulting Prophet TB Joshua, he is a true MOG. Please leave him alone for ur own good.
you can say dat again and again and ...
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Acidosis(m): 6:58am On Aug 21, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:

I do not see any sense in your comment

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by OYINBOGOJU(m): 7:05am On Aug 21, 2012
Acidosis:

I do not see any sense in your comment

Is this why you come to this thread?
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 21, 2012
westside6: People should not incurr d wrath of God by always insulting Prophet TB Joshua, he is a true MOG. Please leave him alone for ur own good.

I didn't know a true MOG has time to deliver a Nigerian resident of Germany from drinking his own urine and eating his own feces and predict football matches, meanwhile most of the nation is suffering.

1 Like

Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by juman(m): 7:35am On Aug 21, 2012
OYINBOGOJU:
During Meles' election win in 2005, when it appeared the opposition was likely to make gains, Meles tightened security across the country, and on the night of the election he declared a state of emergency, outlawing any public gathering as his ruling party claimed a majority win. Opposition members accused Meles of rigging the election, and demonstrations broke out. Security forces moved in, killing hundreds of people and jailing thousands.

In 2010 Meles won another five years in office while receiving a reported 99 percent of the vote.

Vanity upon vanity = Vanity.
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Maxymilliano(m): 10:33am On Aug 21, 2012
OP, What you posted is newsworthy, infact you beat Sahara Reporters to it but what i can't seem to fathom is why bringing TB Joshua into the issue, some people are already latching on to that instead of addressing the life and time of the late Prime Minister...
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by ujchief(m): 10:36am On Aug 21, 2012
May his soul rest in peace.
Why have u guys turned this news to T.B. Joshua bashing? Op, u should be ashamed of ya'self, ur opening statement brought about the bashing, u should have changed the topic to suit ur stupid purpose. Nanscenze! #spitsonthread
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Udmaster(m): 10:45am On Aug 21, 2012
floriana: TB Joshua is right now in his editing suite editing the video of this particular prediction. It will be ready soon. Stay tuned.
you should be careful on how you abuse men of God...just be careful so that the wrath of God will not befall your life..EMMANUEL..God is with us
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by tunnytox(m): 10:57am On Aug 21, 2012
ogugua88:

I didn't know a true MOG has time to deliver a Nigerian resident of Germany from drinking his own urine and eating his own feces and predict football matches, meanwhile most of the nation is suffering.

Perhaps predicting football matches is another brand of gospel grin grin yeye people...,
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by ismhab(m): 11:04am On Aug 21, 2012
TB JOSHUA AT WORK.
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Tayo114: 11:07am On Aug 21, 2012
I was in Ethiopia last 3yrs, his ppl were not happy with him, anyway he's dead now, may Almighty God blessd them with a very honest bresident even if the person from Nigeria
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Holyrule(m): 11:08am On Aug 21, 2012
May his soul rest in peace!
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by ujchief(m): 11:12am On Aug 21, 2012
ismhab: TB JOSHUA AT WORK.
says the retarded muslim whose brave brothers are bombing innocent citizens and thereby, laying claim to their 72 virgins. I wonder what u'll inherit when u get to ur allah promised paradise. Maybe ur allah will just hand u a bar of Lux soap and vaseline! There u go, go knock urself out!
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by otokx(m): 11:12am On Aug 21, 2012
and they are dieing one by one; when will Nigeria"s turn reach?
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by frankcimc(m): 11:14am On Aug 21, 2012
[quote]I was in Ethiopia last 3yrs, his ppl were not happy with him, anyway he's dead now, may Almighty God blessd them with a very honest bresident even if the person from Nigeria

I am not sure of your claim three yrs ago, but I know most Ethiopians were happy with him early this year when I was there, he began transformation of the country since last year, he later became man of the ppl. May his soul RIP!
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Yinkay: 11:16am On Aug 21, 2012
Wonder why 9ja leaders live for too long continiung being nuisance after their government has ended.....
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by PosCaricature: 11:39am On Aug 21, 2012
Liars!
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by sambos994(m): 11:51am On Aug 21, 2012
RIP
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by ACM10: 11:53am On Aug 21, 2012
Which infection was so stubborn that Ethiopian doctors cannot get it under control? Well this is just the official version of his death
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by coolted(m): 12:02pm On Aug 21, 2012
R. I. P. U'll be missed both by lovers n haters
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by juman(m): 12:32pm On Aug 21, 2012
ACM10: Which infection was so stubborn that Ethiopian doctors cannot get it under control? Well this is just the official version of his death

There was report that he had brain cancer.

Although his officials insisted that he would soon return to office, observers believed it was unlikely. Opposition website claimed at the time that Mr Zenawi was suffering from a “grade three brain tumour”.

http://massnewsmedia.com/news/11080/ethiopian-prime-minister-meles-zenawi-dies-at-the-age-of-57/
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by ACM10: 12:38pm On Aug 21, 2012
juman:

There was report that he had brain cancer.

It is a plausible explanation
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Mavrick2012: 1:58pm On Aug 21, 2012
is this a threat or an advice?
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Litmus: 2:03pm On Aug 21, 2012
RIP
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by Fogman(m): 2:34pm On Aug 21, 2012
RIP
Re: Ethiopian Prime-Minister Meles Zenawi Is Dead by shadrach77: 3:00pm On Aug 21, 2012
what is it with African leaders and death? This is the third African leader to die this year sad sad sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Taiwan Condemns ‘contemptible' China-russia Partnership On Eve Of Olympics / Tanzania's President, Suluhu Hassan And Daughter's Picture Causes A Stir / God Is Protecting Israel Complains Hamas Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.