Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos (19600 Views)

Samsung Launches Galaxy Note2 In Lagos / Samsung Launches Galaxy S3 In Nigeria / Samsung Launches Galaxy S3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by timowale: 11:08pm On Aug 22, 2012
hw much naw?
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by lastpage: 11:14pm On Aug 22, 2012
Okija_juju: Can any Phone genius interprete this?!!

Apart from the "Dual SIM ability", this is a very LOW END version (and l mean very very washed/watered down version) of the Galaxy S3.
If your priority is ability to "dual sim", then good but there are other phones that can do that as well.

But we should never compare S3 to this Duo.
How can l for example, step-down from using 8-MP pictures to 5-MP?
How can l step down from recording video in "High Definition" (l have abandoned my Lumix camera for some time o!) to recording in VGA?
I wonder why they are scaling the "camera" of Samsung phones down? The S2 has 12Mp camera and when l use it, the pictures are so good you wont ever need a camera at any function you attend.

I think its like when Nokia made the "Lumnia" for "poor people"! grin grin
It is affordable but shyte all the way!......compared to the other high end Nokia phones.
In terms of storage S3 doubles the storage of the Duo. In terms of RAM, S3 has 1GB while this one has three-quarters. These become important when you run applications and games.....and the Duo starts crying "no more memory to run this application" grin while the S3 is still flying (like our old Win 98 Vs. Win7 Computers grin)

Processor in the Duo is also "lower" (1GHz) which means it will be sluggish, compared to the S3 (1.4GHz).
Small but very crucial things like "natural language voice command, Eye tracking, Drop Box for saving your files online, Google maps are lacking in the Duo.

Battery life is lower in the Duo which means you got to recharge more often.
Serious;y speaking, l thinking some "Daddies" just went to lobby Samsung to do a version for Nigerians (Dual Sim) or their kids in college grin grin

Just my ten cents sha.

Lastpage

1 Like

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by ExInferis(m): 12:12am On Aug 23, 2012
1. adreno 200 in 2012? when even tegra 3 is beginning to get long in the tooth?

2. no gyro? in 2012?

3. single core? in 2012

4. snapdragon, but without LTE? in 2012? if you're making a non-LTE phone why not at least a dual core Exynos?

5. no DLNA, in 2012?

6. No NFC? in 2012

7 no super amoled + on a samsung phone? in 2012? not really a fan of amoled (esp pentile) but the lcd-tft on the sgs duos cant hold a candle to the desire v's screen

so if you strip the faux SGS 3 casing, how is this any better than the original Galaxy Duos? methinks sammy just wanna cash in on the SGS 3 rage kawai!!

HTC Desire V, here i come. at least no pretensions about being a wannabe One X.

oh, and if you really need to make a dual sim, make it pentaband you a55es.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by floridam(m): 7:20am On Aug 23, 2012
Na today smart phone duos enter market?
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by texazzpete(m): 7:23am On Aug 23, 2012
lastpage:
Apart from the "Dual SIM ability", this is a very LOW END version (and l mean very very washed/watered down version) of the Galaxy S3.
If your priority is ability to "dual sim", then good but there are other phones that can do that as well.

How can l step down from recording video in "High Definition" (l have abandoned my Lumix camera for some time o!) to recording in VGA?
I wonder why they are scaling the "camera" of Samsung phones down? The S2 has 12Mp camera and when l use it, the pictures are so good you wont ever need a camera at any function you attend.

It is affordable but shyte all the way!......compared to the other high end Nokia phones.
In terms of storage S3 doubles the storage of the Duo. In terms of RAM, S3 has 1GB while this one has three-quarters. These become important when you run applications and games.....and the Duo starts crying "no more memory to run this application" grin while the S3 is still flying (like our old Win 98 Vs. Win7 Computers grin)

Processor in the Duo is also "lower" (1GHz) which means it will be sluggish, compared to the S3 (1.4GHz).
Small but very crucial things like "natural language voice command, Eye tracking, Drop Box for saving your files online, Google maps are lacking in the Duo.

Serious;y speaking, l thinking some "Daddies" just went to lobby Samsung to do a version for Nigerians (Dual Sim) or their kids in college grin grin

Just my ten cents sha.

Lastpage

The shameful thing about Nigerians...some of the more verbose folks are the most ignorant.

Even a child should know that in western countries, most people pick up phones on contract along with carrier data plans...hence most people have only ONE SIM and ONE carrier.

Dual SIM phones are mainly popular in Asia, Africa and a few South American networks where prepaid lines off contract are by far the most preferred option.

There are competent Android phones with Dual SIM that you can pick up for even cheaper prices...so why would any company load up a phone meant for a particular demographic (folks with low disposable income) with class leading specs?

Why would you expect a phone Samsung expects to sell millions off in India, China and parts of Africa to be loaded with specs that could push the price closer to a $600 Galaxy S III?

This is not a very well thought out or intelligent post.

lastpage:
Small but very crucial things like "natural language voice command, Eye tracking, Drop Box for saving your files online, Google maps are lacking in the Duo

'Eye tracking' and 'natural language voice command' are gimmicks and are hardly 'very crucial things' like you babble about. Not once has the 'eye tracking' feature worked with me (perhaps tiny eyes and glasses have something to do with this) and it's not a killer app feature anyway. S-Voice doesn't really do much more than what many 3rd party solutions on the Google Play store comes with. First thing i did after getting my S3 was to disable S-Voice

Google apps come pre-installed on the Galaxy S Duos. Just because GSMarena omitted this in their listing doesn't mean you should use your eyes and see the Google Play logo on the phone's screenshot...which should be a dead giveaway that ALL Google apps (Maps, mail, Play, Youtube) are on the device.

DropBox can be downloaded from Google Play in 30 seconds.

Seriously, do you KNOW anything about Android?

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by texazzpete(m): 7:33am On Aug 23, 2012
Ex Inferis: 1. adreno 200 in 2012? when even tegra 3 is beginning to get long in the tooth?

2. no gyro? in 2012?

3. single core? in 2012

4. snapdragon, but without LTE? in 2012? if you're making a non-LTE phone why not at least a dual core Exynos?

5. no DLNA, in 2012?

6. No NFC? in 2012

7 no super amoled + on a samsung phone? in 2012? not really a fan of amoled (esp pentile) but the lcd-tft on the sgs duos cant hold a candle to the desire v's screen

so if you strip the faux SGS 3 casing, how is this any better than the original Galaxy Duos? methinks sammy just wanna cash in on the SGS 3 rage kawai!!

HTC Desire V, here i come. at least no pretensions about being a wannabe One X.

oh, and if you really need to make a dual sim, make it pentaband you a55es.

Dumb'ass...the Desire V has practically the same hardware as the Galaxy S Duos. And possible more expensive.

Why would you expect a budget phone to have NFC or DLNA?

More importantly, given the fact that battery life is always a concern with Dual-SIM phones, why would you imagine they'd put an LTE radio in there? How many of their Asia/Africa target markets have LTE 4G networks?

Inferis my friend, this is a strange diversion into dumb'ass territory for you grin

PS: there aren't many chipsets that support Dual-SIM...just usually the low end single core variants from Qualcomm and the recently introduced dual core versions from MediaTek which have the competent PowerVR SGX GPU.

1 Like

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by UkwuNnu(m): 9:06am On Aug 23, 2012
texazzpete:

Dumb'ass...the Desire V has practically the same hardware as the Galaxy S Duos. And possible more expensive.

More importantly, given the fact that battery life is always a concern with Dual-SIM phones, why would you imagine they'd put an LTE radio in there? How many of their Asia/Africa target markets have LTE 4G networks?

Inferis my friend, this is a strange diversion into dumb'ass territory for you grin

PS: there aren't many chipsets that support Dual-SIM...just usually the low end single core variants from Qualcomm and the recently introduced dual core versions from MediaTek which have the competent PowerVR SGX GPU.

Keep schooling them buddy!

1 Like

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by ziiidos(m): 10:55am On Aug 23, 2012
Okija_juju: All na wash!!

This is a Samsung Galaxy S3 with provision for two sim cards.. Nothing more, Nothing less..
as far as we ar consined 2 sim na chinko fone(china) lol

1 Like

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Okijajuju1(m): 10:58am On Aug 23, 2012
ziiidos: as far as we ar consined 2 sim na chinko fone(china) lol

GBAM!!!!
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by tonardo(m): 11:35am On Aug 23, 2012
wheather is 2D or 3D am going 4 dis baby,. i quess it should be around 45-50k any idea,.
every man cut his coat according 2 his size,.
thats not the end,. S2 is still coming in dual, likewise S3
and i have been using galaxy y pro dous am inpressed, rooting,installing chain fire will make it support 3D game ,installing custom rom in it.
i can't wait 2 lay my hands on it...nokia is dead,...samsung rules,..
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by tonardo(m): 11:38am On Aug 23, 2012
this is the fist born of samsung galaxy S and the king of dual phone.....
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by tonardo(m): 12:17pm On Aug 23, 2012
some people are just dumps and trash making senseless comment a middle end phone and u want it to come have all the feature a high end phone has...
if u don,t know this phone is not 4 every body............. its 4 middle end users pls...
mr sabi, sabi
thank God i don't call names...
if S3 is ur category go 4 it..after all samsung knows they can put dual core,nfc,anoled. etc on it but the prize wouldn't b the same....wait
the high end user GS2 or 3 is coming. be wise....
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by sandy409(m): 1:08pm On Aug 23, 2012
coolted: Just another toy for adult kids
. True talk.hahahaha... Another toy for 'Adult kids'. Money nor dey o! But, 9ja na him go buy am pass
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Q3(m): 5:58pm On Aug 23, 2012
Abeg, try techno..............
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by mruknaijaboy(m): 6:46pm On Aug 23, 2012
dual sim is not even a new technology, i remember back in the the days when they used to sell dual sim cards on chinese websites, i had one back in 2007, got it for 50 pound but i dropped it in the toilet only a month after having it lol
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Djcn: 11:54am On Aug 24, 2012
texazzpete:

Unlike the tex i used to know. Guess u ve cooled off in the western world and ve a more objective approach. cool
Thumbs up.
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by lastpage: 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2012
texazzpete:

The shameful thing about Nigerians...some of the more verbose folks are the most ignorant.

Even a child should know that in western countries, most people pick up phones on contract along with carrier data plans...hence most people have only ONE SIM and ONE carrier.

Dual SIM phones are mainly popular in Asia, Africa and a few South American networks where prepaid lines off contract are by far the most preferred option.

There are competent Android phones with Dual SIM that you can pick up for even cheaper prices...so why would any company load up a phone meant for a particular demographic (folks with low disposable income) with class leading specs?

Why would you expect a phone Samsung expects to sell millions off in India, China and parts of Africa to be loaded with specs that could push the price closer to a $600 Galaxy S III?

This is not a very well thought out or intelligent post.

'Eye tracking' and 'natural language voice command' are gimmicks and are hardly 'very crucial things' like you babble about. Not once has the 'eye tracking' feature worked with me (perhaps tiny eyes and glasses have something to do with this) and it's not a killer app feature anyway. S-Voice doesn't really do much more than what many 3rd party solutions on the Google Play store comes with. First thing i did after getting my S3 was to disable S-Voice

Google apps come pre-installed on the Galaxy S Duos. Just because GSMarena omitted this in their listing doesn't mean you should use your eyes and see the Google Play logo on the phone's screenshot...which should be a dead giveaway that ALL Google apps (Maps, mail, Play, Youtube) are on the device.

DropBox can be downloaded from Google Play in 30 seconds.

Seriously, do you KNOW anything about Android?
Are you criticizing my post so you can appear as an "imitation of intelligence"?
How can you be so daft as to jump to insulting people without engaging your brain first?

Why dont you read simple English and just give your opinion/interpretation on the "phone's spec" as was requested instead of all these stewpid, high sounding criticisms, that contributed nada to the request that was made?

I have and know a lot of families that have one "network" for immediate family members (we enjoy free calls to ourselves) while l use another one to call family members strictly in Naija (its far cheaper than the first one above)

And l do have friends who l want to talk to and are not on any of the two networks mentioned above.....so l keep their Network's SIM handy too! And a lot of people do the same thing so, we HAVE MORE THAN ONE SIM on a single phone, dummy!

I guess there are no phones with "class leading specs" in Nigeria as well.....all those Galaxy S3 that guys carry, are carried in America only? Not even in Lagos, right?
Anyway, tiny eyes, tiny glasses and "TINY BRAIN" all come as a "contract combo"! Arrow!

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by saddik(m): 10:31pm On Sep 28, 2012
HELLO ALL, THIS PHONE IS GOOD, DONT LET ANY 1 DISCOURAGE U, IF U LIKE PLAYING GAMES WHICH PERSONALLY I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT, I HAVNT TESTED, BUT THE CAMERA IS GREAT, BODY SLEEK, FAST AND THE TOCH SCREEN IS VERY RESPONSIVE. IT JUST LIKE THE S3 JUST LITTLE BIT SMALER AND THOUSANDS OF APPS U CAN GET ON GOOGLE PLAY STORE.

I BOUGHT 2 IN DUBAI, SO I HAVE 1 FOR SALE FOR ANY1 INTERESTED IN ABUJA. WHEN I CAME BACK 2 ABUJA, I STARTED LOOKING 4 D PHONE EVERY WHERE, BUT NO STORE HAS IT. IC CONCLUDED THAT I HASNT REACHED NIJA YET.

IM BASED IN ABUJA AND IF U NEED IT BRAND NEW UNOPENED BOX, CONTACT ME ON 07037754900

PRICE IS 80K LAST, SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY. BET ME, WHEN THIS PHONE ENTERS NIJA MARKET THEY LEAST PRICE WILL BE LIKE 80 - 90K.
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by domack99(m): 8:45am On Nov 10, 2012
I bought the Phone for $309 yesterday. The black colour.
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by LordReed(m): 4:11pm On Nov 10, 2012
domack99: I bought the Phone for $309 yesterday. The black colour.

What is it like using it? Is it fast and responsive?
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Jeffy1206(m): 7:26pm On Nov 10, 2012
domack99: I bought the Phone for $309 yesterday. The black colour.
in naija here?i tink am in luv wit de fone
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Ngutor(m): 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2012
Please anybody that has an idea on how to get this phone in Nigeria should share. Tried looking for it everywhere to no avail.
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Nobody: 8:40am On Dec 18, 2012
It's available at Slot for about 45k. After so much research i hope to get one soon.
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by leslieu63(m): 3:15pm On Dec 18, 2012
little difference between this and tecno n3,and d n3 is far more cheaper .
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by OXYZ: 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
Don't waste your hard earn money guys go for tecno n3 the difference is not that much.All is hype.
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 20, 2012
OXYZ: Don't waste your hard earn money guys go for tecno n3 the difference is not that much.All is hype.

http://www.technesstivity.com/2012/11/super-cheap-android-running-tecno-n3-first-impressions/

After reading this review i pass on the Tecno N3. Still gunning for the S Duos
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by OXYZ: 12:00pm On Dec 24, 2012
From your link I dont see any reason why you should go for the duo rather than the hype involve.You would be spending 20-25,000 extra to get a flash light, na wa for you
Re: Samsung Launches Galaxy S Duos by kenlash: 6:46am On Dec 25, 2012
lastpage:

Just my ten cents sha.

Lastpage

wat if it is rooted?v

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cameroon Government Fines MTN $160 Million For Corruption Charges / Reasons Why My Android Smartphone Is Better Than A Girlfriend / Movie Download Websites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.