Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,909 members, 7,835,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. (2299 Views)

10 Reasons Why Nigeria Is The Best Country In The World / Igala Nigerian American In The NFL / African American In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:07pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Yes ma'am! She was born and raised in Nigeria...Her and my son are probably the only two things that make me not regret coming to this country.

Not things...PEOPLE...Shame on me as an English teacher...LOL!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:09pm On Aug 22, 2012
anonymous6:

I don't think you should bother yourself but to be honest Nigerians in Nigeria can tell if you are from there or not, and it you are not that's when you hear this stuff. Also they should know better based on your back ground to put that pressure on you.

Great point!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by anonymous6(f): 11:10pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Great point!

so you live in Nigeria permanently?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:10pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Not things...PEOPLE...Shame on me as an English teacher...LOL!

That eba and suya had you tripping huh? grin grin grin grin
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Look on the bright side....at least you can bring your family back and forth unlike some people.

It is good to be able to travel a country without feeling like you have to pass a Trig/Quantum Phy. exam!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:17pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Awwwww. Is she Yoruba like you? I bet your son is cute. wink

No. She's from Akwa Ibom...Ibibio is the tribe and he is...He really is! What part of Nigeria is your husband from?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

That eba and suya had you tripping huh? grin grin grin grin

LOL!! Not quite...I don't eat meat. Eba? I prefer pounded yam!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by PhysicsQED(m): 11:18pm On Aug 22, 2012
I don't think this thread makes much sense.

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:20pm On Aug 22, 2012
anonymous6:

so you live in Nigeria permanently?

Only for now. I can't picture staying here permanently.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by anonymous6(f): 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Only for now. I can't picture staying here permanently.

oh interesting
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't think this thread makes much sense.

I thought so too, but sometimes it's important to work with the little sense it has.

I'm a bit iffy about the poster tho. hmm lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:24pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

No. She's from Akwa Ibom...Ibibio is the tribe and he is...He really is! What part of Nigeria is your husband from?

He is Igbo. How does her family feel about you being Yoruba American? Did they welcome you with open arms and treated you like their long lost son?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:25pm On Aug 22, 2012
PhysicsQED: I don't think this thread makes much sense.

I don't think so either...I'm just getting accquainted with nairaland...My research focuses on understanding Nigerian-Americans, whatever that means, and vice-versa. Join us in the discussion...Are you Nigerian, American or do you have a Nigerian connection?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by Abagworo(m): 11:26pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

I go back and forth from Abuja to Adamawa State. I've been to Ibadan (where my father is from), Kaduna, Bauchi, Gombe, and Jos. I've only had the chance to go through Lagos - just the airports.

@bolded. Why not call it your ancestral home and accept fully that your origin is Ibadan. This could be a hint as to why you've found it difficult to adapt to Nigerian society.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:27pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

LOL!! Not quite...I don't eat meat. Eba? I prefer pounded yam!

You don't eat meat?!!!!!! I figured you would say pounded yams.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:28pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

He is Igbo. How does her family feel about you being Yoruba American? Did they welcome you with open arms and treated you like their long lost son?

A little bit of both; I don't think her bothers were too comfortable in the beginning but they're warming up! Since I've been here for over four and half years, I've been able to adapt very well. While there are still many things I don't know about Nigeria, I think I understand the general things needed to survive here, this has helped me with my in-laws...Spreading a lil' money around also helped...You know Nigerians love to celebrate!

Do y'all have children? How do you two go about teaching them both cultures? Has it been challenging?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:32pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

A little bit of both. Since I've been here for over four and half years, I've been able to adapt very well. There are still many things I don't know but I think I understand the general things needed for life in Nigeria...All they were worried about is did I bring dollars!

Do y'all have children? How do you two go about teaching them both cultures? Has it been challenging?

LMAO@did you bring dollars. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Typical.

Matter of fact, surprisingly we do not have an issue with combining teachings of what it is necessary and we are working on a little team. He wants all boys and I am trying to throw a couple of girls in there. grin grin Although...he is Igbo American...he practices his culture/tradition and I have no issues with it. I had to go through training with the elder sisters before marriage although I knew them as friends beforehand.

If I don't remember anything I have learned....I remember not to utter, think, behave, speak, dance, or write DIVORCE. shocked shocked

No...it has not been challenging...my husband is Igbo American and I knew his family before we even got serious.
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:37pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

You don't eat meat?!!!!!! I figured you would say pounded yams.

Nope! No meat for me...It's unclean and unhealthy in my book...I do love fish!!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:43pm On Aug 22, 2012
Abagworo:

@bolded. Why not call it your ancestral home and accept fully that your origin is Ibadan. This could be a hint as to why you've found it difficult to adapt to Nigerian society.

I've had no problem adapting and accepting...Being accepted by people born and raised in Nigeria is another story...The problem is, while Ibadan is my origin, it doesn't account for my full african hertiage. I do embrace Ibadan as part of my roots, it's just not the whole story! I can't change the fact that I don't fit in all the way with Ibadan/Yoruba culture - I've been there twice and I don't speak Yoruba. That still doesn't stop me from calling myself yoruba!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:45pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

I've had no problem adapting and accepting...Being accepted by people born and raised in Nigeria is another story...The problem is, while Ibadan is my origin, it doesn't account for my full african hertiage. I do embrace Ibadan as part of my roots, it's just not the whole story! I can't change the fact that I don't fit in all the way with Ibadan/Yoruba culture - I've been there twice and I don't speak Yoruba. That still doesn't stop me from calling myself yoruba!

Did your father teach you the Yoruba language?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

LMAO@did you bring dollars. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Typical.

Matter of fact, surprisingly we do not have an issue with combining teachings of what it is necessary and we are working on a little team. He wants all boys and I am trying to throw a couple of girls in there. grin grin Although...he is Igbo American...he practices his culture/tradition and I have no issues with it. I had to go through training with the elder sisters before marriage although I knew them as friends beforehand.

If I don't remember anything I have learned....I remember not to utter, think, behave, speak, dance, or write DIVORCE. shocked shocked

No...it has not been challenging...my husband is Igbo American and I knew his family before we even got serious.

"If I don't remember anything I have learned....I remember not to utter, think, behave, speak, dance, or write DIVORCE."

Oh my! How does your family feel about the Nigerian connection?
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by yorubaamerican(m): 11:48pm On Aug 22, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Did your father teach you the Yoruba language?

I said I DON'T speak Yoruba...Language is about interest and need. I don't really have the interest because the need isn't there; nearly everyone in Nigeria speaks English. I wish my father had taught me Yoruba, he speaks it very, very well!
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:56pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

"If I don't remember anything I have learned....I remember not to utter, think, behave, speak, dance, or write DIVORCE."

Oh my! How does your family feel about the Nigerian connection?

They have no issues at all and when they call the house...they speak to him before they speak to me! angry angry
Re: Being American In Nigeria Is Hard. by MrsChima1(f): 11:57pm On Aug 22, 2012
yorubaamerican:

I said I DON'T speak Yoruba...Language is about interest and need. I don't really have the interest because the need isn't there; nearly everyone in Nigeria speaks English. I wish my father had taught me Yoruba, he speaks it very, very well!

Hmm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do You Like About Nigeria And Nigerians / Am Blamed For My Inability To Communicate In My Dialect! / Ethiopian Music And Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.