Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,359 members, 7,954,465 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:33 PM

The Effect Of A Badly Written Book On Author Image And Credibility - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Effect Of A Badly Written Book On Author Image And Credibility (789 Views)

Excerpts From The Unseen Terrorist  An Exposé Published By Author House UK / How To Make Steady Income Writing And Publishing Your Book On Amazon Kindle / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Effect Of A Badly Written Book On Author Image And Credibility by wiseman123: 4:50pm On Aug 24, 2012
Many writers write primarily for financial reasons i.e. to make a living. That is the main benefit.
Another benefit is prestige and status that goes with writing a book. The public views the writer as an authority in his field.
Writing can be a writer’s passport to public speaking engagements such as TV and Radio stations and other consultancy opportunities.

A writer writes to convey a message. The writer must write in a way that makes the reader to easily grasp and understand the message. A well written book promotes and enhances the image of the author in the public eye. Where a book is badly written, it is likely to be dumped by an average reader. This will mean loss of sales where many potential buyers/readers shy away from the book.

A badly written book will have negative impact on the author’s image. Other books associated with the author are likely to be avoided. A well written book makes a good first impression of the author. Where the author’s image is dented as a result of a badly written book, it will cost much more to correct.

A badly written book is difficult to market effectively. All the marketing efforts may be in vain.There are many badly written books in the market. The worst book that I have ever seen was written by a Nigerian graduate. The book was not proofread and edited before it was published and released into the market. From the front cover to the last page, the book was loaded with many errors which include the following:

Arrangement errors
Internal consistency errors
Punctuation errors
Paragraphs lacking in unity and coherence
Grammatical errors (the English was too poor and the construction was too bad)
Many other errors.
A graduate authored the book!

I wrote to the author giving reasons why the book should be rewritten and republished. He chose not to respond which confirms that he is a hungry author who cares less about his image or the reader. An extract of the Introduction in the author’s badly written book is as follows:

‘’ A lot of research was carried out to make this package the total solution to the major Nigerians Internet practitioner’s payment problems.
So many Nigerians are so much aware of Internet wealth, but to go about it is their major problem, most especially getting paid for job done on the internet.
They all fear the almighty Internet payment system e.g. Paypal, liberty reserve, Clickbank credit cards even our own baking domiciliary account is hell!!!
It take me many months of sleepless nights and time to review this online payment problem and finally come up with a better more profiting online businesses you can do and place your Nigeria bank account on, and get your money directly into your bank account, in your so much love local currency which is acceptable here and anywhere you go. I hereby congratulate you once again, for your courage to purchase this write up.’’

It is evident that the book was not proofread and edited before it was released into the market. A proofreader checks for punctuation errors, errors of grammar, misspellings, errors of facts and figures, repetitions etc. Proofreading is different from editing though many proofreaders like me also edit. The media houses usually have the office of proofreader separate from the office of an editor. An editor also can proofread. Editing involves rewriting. The best writer makes mistakes. A writer may not see his mistakes due to the element of bias. Another eye,a proofreader will see better.

What an editor edits for include:
Clarity, expression and style
Vocabulary
Paragraph structure and overall structure
Citations and references
Unnecessary adjectives and adverbs
Vague descriptions

The badly written book referred to above (name of book and author withheld) failed the test of proofreading and editing. Given the magnitude of the errors in the book, outright rewriting was the recommended solution which the author ignored. The book is about 55 pages which could not have cost the author more than N7000.00 for proofreading. Is the author’s reluctance to pay N7000.00 for proofreading worth the damage to his public image and credibility?

I am an EzineArticles certified writer. I have expertise in writing,proofreading,editing and rewriting.
If you need proofreading services or training,see signature below for contact details.

(1) (Reply)

Love Box / Hussle Of A P Town Boy / Words From A Father To A Son About Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.