Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Nairalanders In New Jersey - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairalanders In New Jersey (2318 Views)

A Thread For Nairalanders In India. / Thanksgiving Party In Dallas: Inviting All Nairalanders In The Proximity / Any Nairalanders In Poland.please Sign In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders In New Jersey by akaniman: 2:56am On Aug 25, 2012
My family of three are planning to relocate from home to new jersey as an immigrant.Any nairalander in new jersey?I need advice based on job prospect 4 engineer and nurse in term of industries dat are thriving in the cities of NJ and NY,safe areas where one can raise kids,quiet neighborhood,cost of living and housing in the cities and towns.
Pls your contribution will be highly appreciated.
Re: Nairalanders In New Jersey by akaniman: 7:46am On Aug 28, 2012
Hello all nairalanders,so theirs no one living in the new jersey??
Re: Nairalanders In New Jersey by SapeleDon: 3:21am On Aug 29, 2012
@OP

First,i do not live in NJ and have been there mostly on visits.

NJ has a large immigrant population due to its proximity to NY and since accomodation prices in NY is cut throat,most people prefer to live in NJ.

There are job prospects everywhere in the world as long as one tends not to be too choosy,especially as a new immigrant.

Your Engineering degree and your wife's nursing degree and their value ends at the MMIA in lagos,unless of course you guys had those degrees from a college in the United States.

I came to the US with a degree and masters from Nigeria, with another masters from the UK and never got any sensible job because of the discriminatory(unwrtitten code)against foreign certificates. So, i kept my PLENTY DEGREES somewhere and did something i considered not befitting me while studying for a certification on a particular field here. And so far i am enjoying what i do now.

So bottom line is, you should give yourself a year or two to settle down fully. But most importantly,you will have to get some kind of education in the US for you to be fully accepted at their work place.

Most former nurses in Nigeria i run across into here are into CNA and unless your wife chooses to do that then she sould be ready to attend a nursng school for 4 yrs or so.

So, my friend you should be READY to do any job that comes your way for now.

Accomodation, and it depends on what city you want to live in is fair.

There is a large Nigerian presence there and some might hook you up to something real fast,so you can start standing on your feet quickly.

I dont know how deep your pocket is but you seem to be asking for a lot of things at once(safe area,quiet neighbourhood,cost of living and the rest)all these cost money.

If you are very rich and relocating to the US then you can be picky. But if you are a regular guy just relocating,by the time the owner of the house you and yor family first stay when you get to the United States is done with you. You will be in a hurry to move into any neighbourhood so as to get away from him,unless of course you are lucky to put up with a family member or friend who will not give you hassle.

Welcome to the United States. The greatest country for opportunities in the world, and may your stay be smooth.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders In New Jersey by akaniman: 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
@sapele_don,Thanks 4 ur gud and inspiring advice,may God bless u broder.I have both NJ and TEXAS in mind,so pls advice me based on this two state as a new immigrant.
Re: Nairalanders In New Jersey by SapeleDon: 11:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
@op

NJ and Texas?Texas.

Will not bother going through the PROS and CONS of both States, as a lot of people on NL who like to argue a lot will start their childish arguments.

So my advice to you is simple. When you come over,take a feasibility visit of both States before making your mind.

Good luck.
Re: Nairalanders In New Jersey by akaniman: 6:00am On Sep 02, 2012
@sapele_don,tks a lot 4 ur advice,frm all comment i have read so far,i can deduced dat texas is gud to start life as a new immigrant.Tks and God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Earning 500k But Want To Migrate To Europe / Cape Verde, Lebanon And Lesotho / Please How Is Life In Gambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.