Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. (27623 Views)

10 Things All Nigerians Wishing To Travel Overseas Must Know / Chile Visa Issued Outside Nigeria / Can You Drive With A Nigerian Licence Outside Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by chemashie(m): 2:24pm On Aug 25, 2012
Billyonaire: Do not google words like Al-Qaeda, Hydrogen peroxide, Fertilizer etc. CIA watches your browsing cache and will trace your IP, burst you and send you to jail.
Long time.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by BUSHMAN1: 2:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
manny4life:

Haba, is it's only gay people who put their hands around male friends right?
no. but this is one of the things you should not do here in england
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by airfinance(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
If you want to take a space coach the double decker buses in the UK please make sure you follow up the queue. Don't rush as you do to get into Lagos Danfo.
They love orderliness. A. Nigerian man once rushed into the space coach,the white passengers and british blacks that were sited already had to get down frrom the bus thinking the man has a mental problem the bus driver had to called the metropolitan police to save the situation.
Before the guy could realised what made people to left the bus for only him.

2 Likes

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by kennz(f): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
very funny. ure correct though. tnx cheesy
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by dont8(m): 2:51pm On Aug 25, 2012
Backpage until she yan§h Seun. cheesy
ayobase:

Make I no talk wetin dey my mind so as not to derail my swthrt's
Thumbs Up Lovey!
Ose!
Front page all d way!
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by airfinance(m): 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2012
Do not unzip your trouser to remove Your mambo,Oko,porro,aamu,burra whatevr they call it in your place to wet anywhere Piss hold You.
Do not poke nose into other people's affair in the street,mind your biZ
Always make use of waste bin to dispose off your used materials,don't litter the street as you do with pure water sachet
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Aug 25, 2012
Why do we need to change our accents? I don't see the jamaican, Chinese or Mexicans doing that. Although I can twist my tongue to speak phoneh, I don't. I speak with my Nigerian accent. If anyone doesn't hear what I say, I repeat myself. It's that simple.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys stop deceiving ppl about not changing their
Accent! Saying you shld be proud of your accent doesn't mean you should not speak in their way for them to understand you. Accent also matters to which city you gonna be staying. Take for example my neighborhood where I work has so many white, you hardly see foreigners and this alone shld change your accent as to communicate with them. I don't know if I can say same with ppl in newyork(never been there tho) where they do have many foreigners infact I think as Nigeria you have to change ways you pronounce some things for them to understand.

Tip:atfirst don't try to speak like them pls especially like black Americans,you may bite ur tongue and Igbo guys like me you may end pronouncing "R" words as "l" ( I was a testimony to this) even this Nigerian girl from edo still make fun of me for it till today.

1 Like

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
Toaskarity: Hey guys stop deceiving ppl about not changing their
Accent! Saying you shld be proud of your accent doesn't mean you should not speak in their way for them to understand you. Accent also matters to which city you gonna be staying. Take for example my neighborhood where I work has so many white, you hardly see foreigners and this alone shld change your accent as to communicate with them. I don't know if I can say same with ppl in newyork(never been there tho) where they do have many foreigners infact I think as Nigeria you have to change ways you pronounce some things for them to understand.

Tip:atfirst don't try to speak like them pls especially like black Americans,you may bite ur finger and Igbo guys like me you may end pronouncing "R" words as "l" ( I was a testimony to this) even this Nigerian girl from edo still make fun of me for it till today.

Yeah. You are making sense. Just speak clearly and slowly. Some of the time, by your look some people can already deduce that ur a foreigner so just speak clearly.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
Stella_Bella:
1. Somebody fall or injure.. Nor say SORRY ... Ask am are u okay?

2. can I buy coke or mineral...... No. say ...I want soda or pop... Coke can land u in jail.

Have a great day!

This used to be me grin grin grin Infact, I still do #1 grin
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 25, 2012
Stella_Bella: 1. Somebody fall or injure.. Nor say SORRY ... Ask am are u okay?

2. can I buy coke or mineral...... No. say ...I want soda or pop... Coke can land u in jail.

3. you have to pay tax on every item... Incuding ashewo tax.

4. Taxi na meter and the money dey start from tax not from zero

5. Have alternative for accommodation, even your brother will disappoint you and blame akata/oyinbo wife.

6. Be careful with girls some are 15 and look 30.. Them go even show u fake id..express road to jail be that.

7. If you mess, sneeze or cough...say excuse me

8. Wash all your Nigeria clothes with their detergent and softener to remove Nigeria Akpu, stock-fish, and beans smell.

9.try to learn to reduce your accent, or else u will drive taxi or sell ice cream proper.

10. Shave off all Nigeria armpit,private hair and wash yourself with their deodorant soap.
To be forewarned is to be forearmed

Just my advise
More contribution is wanted.

Have a great day!
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by bright007(f): 4:42pm On Aug 25, 2012
Nice thread.Let me contribute....
My cousin came back from London some months ago and we went to a nearby supermarket to buy basic items.
I bought å sliced bread in addition to other items...d sales girl packed everything in black nylon for us and my cousin objected...he said d only way he would walk back home with me is if d girl changes d pack to another colour....d girl immediately changed it..
He later told me dat in London,u don't buy something in å black pack...only thieves/pilfers do so...You will be avoided by everyone if they see u carrying something in å black nylon.
gringringrin
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by dnawah(m): 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2012

5. Have alternative for accommodation, even your brother will disappoint you and blame akata/oyinbo wife.

6. Be careful with girls some are 15 and look 30.. Them go even show u fake id..express road to jail be that.

8. Wash all your Nigeria clothes with their detergent and softener to remove Nigeria Akpu, stock-fish, and beans smell.

9.try to learn to reduce your accent, or else u will drive taxi or sell ice cream proper.

10. Shave off all Nigeria armpit,private hair and wash yourself with their deodorant soap.

Just my advise

Have a great day!
i no see any book way this thin dey o! even google!were u a once a victim?sorry o!oh no!r u ok?
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 25, 2012
Funny thread. grin

Stella_Bella: Softry chop buffet.
Some chinese dey ban nija from thier buffet
I witness one
This nija man wan finish chinese man profit
Oya. The guy refund im 7 dollar and tell am neva to returm cheesy
No bi me ooohh

grin grin grin
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by gator666: 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
You should never... NEVER go to a photo lab and ask for passport.

it is called passport-size photo, not the passport!!! For passports, go to the police or immigration, whatever institution issues passports to individuals.

1 Like

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by joyprincess(f): 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
Dont eva insult anybody u dont really no cause if you try it in cameroon u will see your slef with the jamdams
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by techlegs: 5:44pm On Aug 25, 2012

Just my advise

Have a great day!

LWKMD
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
Toaskarity: Hey guys stop deceiving ppl about not changing their

Tip:atfirst don't try to speak like them pls especially like black Americans,you may bite ur tongue and Igbo guys like me you may end pronouncing "R" words as "l" ( I was a testimony to this) even this Nigerian girl from edo still make fun of me for it till today.
Thank u better person
My first job at one office,
I swear, the manager bought me a small board and maker for communication.
And a lot of videos with closed caption.
They hate nija accent.
I kept my nija accent for nija and modified accent for work
Hey when u r in ROME, BEHAVE LIKE THE ROMANS.

3 Likes

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Mandelaguy(m): 6:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
@op,u funny no be small. Anyway,when you travel abroad,dn't jump a queue.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by dont8(m): 6:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
Why should I behave like Romans, when I've not been to Rome?
Stella_Bella:
Thank u better person
They hate nija accent.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by UNLEASHED(m): 6:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
10 things you shouldn't do or say outside Nigeria doesn't sound like the right subject

You have to pay tax on every item?
Common you made it sound like you pay tax separately on every item you buy.

Taxi na meter and it doesn't start from zero blah blah
So we shouldn't request the service of one?

If you mess, sneeze or cough say excuse me

You don't need to be out of Nigeria before your instinct should tell you that saying sorry after sneezing, farting or coughing is a normal etiquette.

Wash all your Nigerian clothes with their detergent to remove akpu blah blah

Common love, which village are you from?

Shave your Nigeria armpit and wash yourself with their deodorant soap

What do you bath with back home? Soda?

Learn to reduce your accent blah blah

You can't force it sweetheart, you form British accent, they take the piss out of you.

Don't say you want to buy coke blah blah

Like seriously? grin

Welcome abroad anyway wink

1 Like

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by kmariko: 6:38pm On Aug 25, 2012
I dont know the part of the US some of you guys live in , But here in Houston, Go to Walgreens or CVS the people will understand when one uses the term drugs as in medicine or coke as in coca-cola. mind you a lot of Nigerias work in these establishments
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by kmariko: 6:41pm On Aug 25, 2012
gator_666: You should never... NEVER go to a photo lab and ask for passport.

it is called passport-size photo, not the passport!!! For passports, go to the police or immigration, whatever institution issues passports to individuals.

Actually they do understand that because it is part of their business to know these things
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by dont8(m): 6:41pm On Aug 25, 2012
What of using a popular product to generalize other products:
GENERIC NAME (PARACETAMOL) - For all headache tablets in the market.

INDOMIE - Anything Noodle

GALA - All sachet snacks.

OMO - All category of detergent.

CLOSEUP - Everything and anything toothpaste.

Naija no dey carry last, we too much cheesy
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 25, 2012
Also, don't say ''I am coming'' to someone when you are actually leaving; ''she is very fine'' when u mean the person being described is very beautiful.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by kmariko: 6:43pm On Aug 25, 2012
[b][/b]PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE YOUR ACCENT.,., DO NOT
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
dont8: Why should I behave like Romans, when I've not been to Rome?
I hear u bros.
No be me divorce u cheesy
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 6:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
UNLEASH THE DRAGON.
UNLEASHED: 10 things you shouldn't do or say outside Nigeria doesn't sound like the right subject

You have to pay tax on every item?
Common you made it sound like you pay tax separately on every item you buy.

Taxi na meter and it doesn't start from zero blah blah
So we shouldn't request the service of one?

If you mess, sneeze or cough say excuse me

You don't need to be out of Nigeria before your instinct should tell you that saying sorry after sneezing, farting or coughing is a normal etiquette.

Wash all your Nigerian clothes with their detergent to remove akpu blah blah

Common love, which village are you from?

Shave your Nigeria armpit and wash yourself with their deodorant soap

What do you bath with back home? Soda?

Learn to reduce your accent blah blah

You can't force it sweetheart, you form British accent, they take the piss out of you.

Don't say you want to buy coke blah blah

Like seriously? grin

Welcome abroad anyway wink
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by seedord247(m): 6:55pm On Aug 25, 2012
Stella_Bella:
Thank u better person
They hate nija accent.

Pls dont allow me to call you CHUMP. grin

Your work need to be sue fo that shit. ahahahaahha

who told you they hate naija ascent

If naija ascent is that bad, have you listen to, Chinese, taiwan, japanese, indians, france..

If pple from those countries above speak English,, you'll almost ask for anti-bomb squad.

The thing is, You depreciate yourself at work thats why they count you low as fallow.

Do you know so many naija english scholar teaching in their university??
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by dont8(m): 7:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
Whe you're in Germany, Austria, Netherland, be mindful of salutation you make, you can get jailed if you make Nazi salute.
fubbyy:

The thread make sense but the subject doesn't , you said things you can't do outside nigeria but you forgot that ghana,togo,senegal,cameroon are outside naija, beside all the western countries doesn't share a common law, so when you comment, just specify the country its applicable to not just telling us things you can't do outside naija, there's no country named outside naija

I need a comment on what I can't do in germany cause that's my target after this yeye nysc, pls help
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 7:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
I love my modified accent.
I mingle and shingle with ease smiley
seedord247:

Pls dont allow me to call you CHUMP. grin

Your work need to be sue fo that shit. ahahahaahha

who told you they hate naija ascent

If naija ascent is that bad, have you listen to, Chinese, taiwan, japanese, indians, france..

If pple from those countries above speak English,, you'll almost ask for anti-bomb squad.

The thing is, You depreciate yourself at work thats why they count you low as fallow.

Do you know so many naija english scholar teaching in their university??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Two Tankers Collide On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. Cars, Buses On Fire (video) / Air Peace Flight To London Sparks Price War Among Foreign Airlines / Second Niger Bridge Opens To Vehicular Movements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.