Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Racist Habits Die HARD - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Racist Habits Die HARD (24316 Views)

Not Every Somali Is Racist. / Can Minorities Be Racist? / Which State Is Least Racist And Low For Gun Crime. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 12:03am On Aug 30, 2012
anonymous6:

Who denied what? and in 40:27 the black brazilian he was talking to said different, even the black Brazilian actress high lighted some of that in the documentary I just showed, any way watch these videos because this just shows what most live as second class citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZctDfysuhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj8lP-yg04U&feature=relmfu

The only difference between Brazil and the rest of South America is that they at least admit their black african heritage or connection while some other south american countries refuse to admit the connection.
yeah i seen those vids anybody poor in south America are treat baldly(more or less) it is just most of the poor are black and native
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 12:04am On Aug 30, 2012
read my article and watch the vids i put up
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by anonymous6(f): 12:28am On Aug 30, 2012
TerryCarr:
here is a video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDNJoeSAAb8

here is a video about the twins
http://www.thirteen.org/edonline/wideangle/videobank/brazil_identity.html

Full documentary here. it is very interesting
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/wideangle/episodes/brazil-in-black-and-white/video-full-episode/2104/

I haven't finished watching the last documentary but the video does give in sight, when it comes to bringing affirmative action to Brazil, I feel it makes things complicated because Brazil are mostly mixed, it is hard to put people in a box but the reason why I feel this is Karma for the people against it is because these same people are not finding solutions on how to stop Blacks from all being poor and living in slums and all whites Brazilians controlling the wealth in Brazil, Until Brazilians start solving this problem affirmative action will start having more leg room in Brazil. I am not against or for it particularly in Brazil but when there is differences between what blacks and whites get in Brazil when it comes to progression this shouldn't be a surprise. Your videos are good though it is very complicated in that country due to the racial mixture.

the second video is funny, both twins look the same but are classified different racially, that one is just weird, doesn't make sense
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by anonymous6(f): 12:30am On Aug 30, 2012
TerryCarr: read my article and watch the vids i put up

I haven't finished watching everything yet, so I will say more if anything comes to my attention.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 2:03am On Aug 30, 2012
anonymous6:

I haven't finished watching the last documentary but the video does give in sight, when it comes to bringing affirmative action to Brazil, I feel it makes things complicated because Brazil are mostly mixed, it is hard to put people in a box but the reason why I feel this is Karma for the people against it is because these same people are not finding solutions on how to stop Blacks from all being poor and living in slums and all whites Brazilians controlling the wealth in Brazil, Until Brazilians start solving this problem affirmative action will start having more leg room in Brazil. I am not against or for it particularly in Brazil but when there is differences between what blacks and whites get in Brazil when it comes to progression this shouldn't be a surprise. Your videos are good though it is very complicated in that country due to the racial mixture.

the second video is funny, both twins look the same but are classified different racially, that one is just weird, doesn't make sense
remember blacks maybe the most disadvantage but they are not the majority of the poor since the make up about 7.6% you also got the Pardo/mixed(43.1%) which has probably more poor people and don't forget the natives and a sizable poor white pop so you just can't give only black special rights and plus it makes blacks look dumb tongue. quotas for the poor makes more sense smiley
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by anonymous6(f): 3:17am On Aug 30, 2012
TerryCarr: remember blacks maybe the most disadvantage but they are not the majority of the poor since the make up about 7.6% you also got the Pardo/mixed(43.1%) which has probably more poor people and don't forget the natives and a sizable poor white pop so you just can't give only black special rights and plus it makes blacks look dumb tongue. quotas for the poor makes more sense smiley

I agree, that is why I said that I think affirmative action in Brazil is complicated, if they are doing Affirmative action they need to include mixed race and natives in the list, and in a way your view of making it for poor makes more sense in a way but because of the disparity of wealth between whites and black Brazilians and the in between, race comes into play, it is unavoidable. I feel if The Brazilian government had fix this wide difference between the races this wouldn't have reached to the problem it is now but because it is still there Affirmative action reared it's ugly head.

Love the videos

1 Like

Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by nyameke: 8:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
TerryCarr: Brazil never had this after slavery

yea black were disadvantage but not in fear for there lives smiley
ok I had figured your statement was based on some of the inhumane atrocities perpetrated against dark skinned races in America.. But having said that , your statement should have been " being black in Brazil WAS hell of a lot better than being a black in America " because as far as I know blacks in Brazil are more or less like second class citizens as compared to their counterparts in America now ..

its debatable but nonetheless I will go as far and even say blacks in America have it better by whatever social equality perimeter or standard be it equal rights, economic equity etc than all the other blacks in the diaspora...

The good thing about blacks in America was and is that they sought , fought and are still fighting to obtain and enjoy the rights( equal, economic etc ) they currently have while south American blacks just settled with the status quo..

1 Like

Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by anonymous6(f): 12:09am On Aug 31, 2012
nyameke: ok I had figured your statement was based on some of the inhumane atrocities perpetrated against dark skinned races in America.. But having said that , your statement should have been " being black in Brazil WAS hell of a lot better than being a black in America " because as far as I know blacks in Brazil are more or less like second class citizens as compared to their counterparts in America now ..

its debatable but nonetheless I will go as far and even say blacks in America have it better by whatever social equality perimeter or standard be it equal rights, economic equity etc than all the other blacks in the diaspora...

The good thing about blacks in America was and is that they sought , fought and are still fighting to obtain and enjoy the rights( equal, economic etc ) they currently have while south American blacks just settled with the status quo..

Cosign 100%
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: Brazil never had this after slavery

yea black were disadvantage but not in fear for there lives smiley

Still in Brazil.. Most blacks aren't allowed in certain parts in the country, like in most Latin American countries.

Black Americans fought in the civil rights to have the same equality as whites(which was stupid)... Now there are black actors, scientist, CEO's, singers, businessmen, doctors, billionaires,etc,etc...

Black Brazilians have none of those things.. Trust I know, my bro went to Brazil. I'd rather be black in America than in any Latin American country.. Heck blacks in Latin America countries aren't even allowed on television...
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 12:18am On Aug 31, 2012
nyameke: ok I had figured your statement was based on some of the inhumane atrocities perpetrated against dark skinned races in America.. But having said that , your statement should have been " being black in Brazil WAS hell of a lot better than being a black in America " because as far as I know blacks in Brazil are more or less like second class citizens as compared to their counterparts in America now ..

blacks in the Caribbean have it better at lease they value education and have Good HDI(exclude Haiti) most blacks in America value Butts, and Nicky shoes
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 12:26am On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

Still in Brazil.. Most blacks aren't allowed in certain parts in the country, like in most Latin American countries.

Black Americans fought in the civil rights to have the same equality as whites(which was stupid)... Now their are black actors, scientist, CEO's, singers, businessmen, doctors, billionaires,etc,etc...

Black Brazilians have none of those things.. Trust I know, my bro went to Brazil. I'd rather be black in America than in any Latin American country.. Heck blacks in Latin America countries aren't even allowed on television...

Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 12:37am On Aug 31, 2012
@KingMichael a lot of Latino music has a big African influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4e7VcnWCT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DacRQm4Xq_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Pa6L-RqK0&feature=related
and a lot of famous singers are black so yeah
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 1:31am On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: @KingMichael a lot of Latino music has a big African influence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4e7VcnWCT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DacRQm4Xq_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Pa6L-RqK0&feature=related
and a lot of famous singers are black so yeah

You totally missed my point... And this doesn't really prove anything. Most of the mainstream singers in Latin American countries are white or white/indian mixed.. Sure there are some are some mainstream singers here and there, but there aren't that many. And watch any Latin American film and you'll see that there are no black actors/actress in site. Also there are barely any black models in Latin American countries. Most of the videos you showed are not mainstream. I have have yet to see a black Billionaire, CEO, large number of black Actors, Scientist, Businessmen, Mainstream Singers(like Beyonce or Whitney Houston) in any Latin American country. Because in Latin American, there's a caste system.

Watch this video and you'll see how being black in Brazil is difficult and in Latin America in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh7c46U5hhY

I'm not trying to be cold.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by PhysicsQED(m): 2:13am On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr has a point, although I wouldn't agree with the import of all of his examples (such as that of Machado de Assis).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Brazilian#Important_or_famous_Black_Brazilians

Gilberto Gil was even Brazil's minister of culture from 2003 to 2008, although he is apparently only the second black person to serve in the cabinet of Brazil's government, which doesn't really compare favorably with the U.S., where there have been 17 black people in the U.S.'s cabinet so far (even though African Americans are a smaller percentage of the U.S. population than black Brazilians are a percentage of Brazil's population) and which has had people like Ralph Bunche and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. in high level positions in government earlier on as well.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 2:33am On Aug 31, 2012
PhysicsQED: TerryCarr has a point, although I wouldn't agree with the import of all of his examples (such as that of Machado de Assis).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Brazilian#Important_or_famous_Black_Brazilians

Gilberto Gil was even Brazil's minister of culture from 2003 to 2008, although he is apparently only the second person to serve in the cabinet of Brazil's government, which doesn't really compare favorably with the U.S., where there have been 17 black people in the U.S.'s cabinet so far (even though African Americans are a smaller percentage of the U.S. population than black Brazilians are a percentage of Brazil's population) and which has had people like Ralph Bunche and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. in high level positions in government earlier on as well.

I may have went overboard when I said that Black Brazilian have none of some of the things I listed, but Black Latinos/Latinas still have worst in the diaspora compared to others(AA's, Jamaicans, Barbadians)... I know Brazilian is on the way of having a civil rights, but the majority of the blacks there are still poor. Especially in the Bahia region. Latin American countries still didn't get their civil rights. If they did, then they would be like AA's.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 2:53am On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

You totally missed my point... And this doesn't really prove anything. Most of the mainstream singers in Latin American countries are white or white/indian mixed.. Sure there are some are some mainstream singers here and there, but there aren't that many. And watch any Latin American film and you'll see that there are no black actors/actress in site. Also there are barely any black models in Latin American countries. Most of the videos you showed are not mainstream. I have have yet to see a black Billionaire, CEO, large number of black Actors, Scientist, Businessmen, Mainstream Singers(like Beyonce or Whitney Houston) in any Latin American country. Because in Latin American, there's a caste system.

Watch this video and you'll see how being black in Brazil is difficult and in Latin America in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh7c46U5hhY

I'm not trying to be cold.
blacks are not the only disadvantage group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ4wtKW3kEE
indigenous are just as disadvantage. as for Mainstream singers that's justified since they speak Spanish/Portuguese, how many Mainstream African/Asian singers are there? little to none. white and white looking is consider "beautiful" in most Latin America. most black neighborhoods in America are crap just like Latin America. Brazil's poor is declining so things are getting better. the average Brazilian look like these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLH-GHpwZ8
Latin America is not black and white
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 3:03am On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

I may have went overboard when I said that Black Brazilian have none of some of the things I listed, but Black Latinos/Latinas still have worst in the diaspora compared to others(AA's, Jamaicans, Barbadians)... I know Brazilian is on the way of having a civil rights, but the majority of the blacks there are still poor. Especially in the Bahia region. Latin American countries still didn't get their civil rights. If they did, then they would be like AA's.
Bahia is not poor and not all Latin American nations have a lot of black mostly just Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, and Dominican republic, Panama.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 3:55am On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: blacks are not the only disadvantage group

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ4wtKW3kEE
indigenous are just as disadvantage. as for Mainstream singers that's justified since they speak Spanish/Portuguese, how many Mainstream African/Asian singers are there? little to none. white and white looking is consider "beautiful" in most Latin America. most black neighborhoods in America are crap just like Latin America. Brazil's poor is declining so things are getting better. the average Brazilian look like these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLH-GHpwZ8
Latin America is not black and white

I know blacks are not the only at a disadvantage in Latin American countries... Just look at Mexico and you'll see a lot of poor natives. The point I'm trying to make is that compared to black Americans and other blacks of the diaspora, blacks in Latin American countries have it worse because of the extreme caste system. I mean the ethic grouping in Brazil is outrageous and inaccurate compared to USA one. You have a point in mainstream, but when I mean in mainstream is that they are big in their country's.

When I look up Latino/Latina singers, I hardly find any black ones. I know some neighborhoods in America are crap, but compared to Brazil... It's nothing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-PNr2uMvQ

Black Americans are still more established in America, than Black Brazilians in Brazil.

Even though Brazil's economy is growing, it's poverty is still worse than USA and it's mostly Black and Mixed Race Brazilians that have it hard. So hard that women go prostitution for money. If America never had a Civil Rights, than we AA's would be like black Brazilians... Latin America still hasn't had a civil Rights, but it seems things are changing and they might have one.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 4:00am On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: Bahia is not poor and not all Latin American nations have a lot of black mostly just Brazil, Colombia, Cuba, and Dominican republic, Panama.

It depends on the part you visit in Bahia, but I heard some parts are very poor. My bros wife is from there.. I never visited Bahia though.

I know not all Latin American countries have a lot of blacks, but the ones that do, the blacks are treated unkindly there. The only country in Latin America where blacks live a good life is Brazil in my opinion.

Don't forget Venezuela.. I think Venezuela has a large black population.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by nyameke: 4:08am On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: blacks in the Caribbean have it better at lease they value education and have Good HDI(exclude Haiti) most blacks in America value Butts, and Nicky shoes
That's why I said its very debatable but I will still stand by my statement..

Lmao at the bolded though. you had me chuckling.. but you have to admit that statement is very condescending and hypocritical because you and I know Afro Caribbeans are just as guilty.. in fact all of us black men value and worships butts lol and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There is just and place and time for everything that's all. The only sad and bad thing is when one makes butts the major and only priority.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 4:25am On Aug 31, 2012
nyameke: That's why I said its very debatable but I will still stand by my statement..

Lmao at the bolded though. you had me chuckling.. but you have to admit that statement is very condescending and hypocritical because you and I know Afro Caribbeans are just as guilty.. in fact all of us black men value and worships butts lol and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. There is just and place and time for everything that's all. The only sad and bad thing is when one makes butts the major and only priority.

Does Terry not know that Caribbeans invented grinding and booty dancing? Caribbean act just like AA's here in the states, but sometimes worse... You can take my words, because I'm part Caribbean(Indian Trinidadian).. Not all Caribbeans value education. The only black group in America that truly values education are Africans.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by nyameke: 4:49am On Aug 31, 2012
^^^ lol I grew up with Caribbeans so I know and you are right about their disdain for education just as much as AA if not worse.. most drug kingpins in new York and jersey are headed by blacks of Afro Caribbean descent
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 5:31am On Aug 31, 2012
nyameke: ^^^ lol I grew up with Caribbeans so I know and you are right about their disdain for education just as much as AA if not worse.. most drug kingpins in new York and jersey are headed by blacks of Afro Caribbean descent

You remember the Jamaican posse? From 80s-90s... Those guys were ruthless and made the Crips and Bloods look like child play. Afro Caribbean gangs are usually more tougher and battle hardened.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by nyameke: 5:55am On Aug 31, 2012
^^^ Yep the bastards had no respect for human life let alone public safety. The posse were the most violent organized criminals IMO
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 7:34am On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

I know blacks are not the only at a disadvantage in Latin American countries... Just look at Mexico and you'll see a lot of poor natives. The point I'm trying to make is that compared to black Americans and other blacks of the diaspora, blacks in Latin American countries have it worse because of the extreme caste system. I mean the ethic grouping in Brazil is outrageous and inaccurate compared to USA one. You have a point in mainstream, but when I mean in mainstream is that they are big in their country's.

When I look up Latino/Latina singers, I hardly find any black ones. I know some neighborhoods in America are crap, but compared to Brazil... It's nothing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX-PNr2uMvQ

Black Americans are still more established in America, than Black Brazilians in Brazil.

Even though Brazil's economy is growing, it's poverty is still worse than USA and it's mostly Black and Mixed Race Brazilians that have it hard. So hard that women go prostitution for money. If America never had a Civil Rights, than we AA's would be like black Brazilians... Latin America still hasn't had a civil Rights, but it seems things are changing and they might have one.
it will be worse than black Brazilians. Brazilians have civil Rights they are just poor
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 7:36am On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

Does Terry not know that Caribbeans invented grinding and booty dancing? Caribbean act just like AA's here in the states, but sometimes worse... You can take my words, because I'm part Caribbean(Indian Trinidadian).. Not all Caribbeans value education. The only black group in America that truly values education are Africans.
well i guess Barbados is the civilized one
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by TerryCarr(m): 7:44am On Aug 31, 2012
nyameke: That's why I said its very debatable but I will still stand by my statement..

i do, when a most whites make there image look this
[img]http://3.bp..com/-2WKYy2IfxmE/TcNp6lm_m8I/AAAAAAAAVtA/fsrjntWbLWE/s1600/miss-ecuador-2011-sin-maquillaje.jpg[/img]

and black women look like this

there is a problem grin

here is a funny pic grin
[img]http://4.bp..com/-e3S6bk8lZfw/TysZGHYtiMI/AAAAAAAACRU/I8yYCFjCgGE/s640/daughter-fail.jpg[/img]
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by BlackKenichi(m): 12:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

You remember the Jamaican posse? From 80s-90s... Those guys were ruthless and made the Crips and Bloods look like child play. Afro Caribbean gangs are usually more tougher and battle hardened.
I agree. Infact Afro Caribbeans in general are a lot tougher than Americans in general. Americans are not as tough as people like to think.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: it will be worse than black Brazilians. Brazilians have civil Rights they are just poor

True.. true.. But I think the South African Apartheid was worse than pre Civil Rights America. I heard a lot of black South Africans were killed.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 31, 2012
TerryCarr: well i guess Barbados is the civilized one

All Caribbean islands are good, they just have their bad parts just like America. I was pointing out that not only AA's are violent, but people from the islands too. Heck blacks aren't the only group with gang problems.. I think Hispanics are worse, just look at MS13.
Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by MrsChima1(f): 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
KingMichael:

True.. true.. But I think the South African Apartheid was worse than pre Civil Rights America. I heard a lot of black South Africans were killed.

You can't gauge how many people were killed to determine which event was the worse. In that case....the Holocaust was the worse in the history of mankind. But, that is not true because we do not know of other events that weren't published nor testified.

1 Like

Re: Racist Habits Die HARD by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
Black Kenichi:
I agree. Infact Afro Caribbeans in general are a lot tougher than Americans in general. Americans are not as tough as people like to think.

I wouldn't say Americans aren't tough and I certainly wouldn't underestimate them. I wouldn't go to certain parts of Chicago, New Orleans or Detroit.

But people from the islands are more extreme. Instead of using guns, they use machetes and use torture more often than black American street gangs. They seem a bit more organized.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Ghana Empire - 300 CE / Black Girl Fights Somali Girl Cause Somali Girl Has Nice Hair / MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.