Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:02 AM

Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy (31836 Views)

Expose: Currency Policy, How CBN, Banks & APC Cheat Nigerians by Joel3 / Re: Conversation Of Jarus With SANUSI On The New Currency Policy / Picture Of Farouk Lawan Immortalised On Nigeria New Currency Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ayobase(m): 12:32pm On Aug 27, 2012
Ola one: Coins and notes would run side by side until coins gain acceptability. I mean, among Nigerians? Will Nigerians ever accept that when there are Naira notes? He knows this is the only part that can lead to inflation hence this tasteless attempt to coat it nicely, albeit a job badly done.

Aren't there rehabs in Nigeria? Help! Sanusi is on control cruise!

Time out, I will be back!

You dey mind the FOOL....he knows the problem he wanna heap up and still wanna go ahead....why cant he start with these N1 and 50K coins before 2013....SELFISHNESS!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Funkymallam(m): 12:34pm On Aug 27, 2012
Alamutatalo: @jarus
I must commend U for trying to clarify issues before making comments but can't believe such policy by CBN will be based on such fallacious reasons,
1.I'm a banker and the introduction of N5K has no effect on ATM mgt as claimed by SLS,The amt loaded in an ATM machine is regulated by banks to reduce cost of insurance and not the size of the machine.
2.N5K notes will not reduce cost of money mgt by CBN cos it's a new currency with it's attendant cost wc include,design,printing,circulation etc.
3.Pls wen next u call him,remind him dat d polymer notes introduced by his regime failed to achieve it's aim as a lot of N20 and N50 notes is being destroyed daily due to the easy fading nature of polymer notes wen exposed to our climate for long.
4.Economic realities are peculiar,wy wld you rely on a study to formulate policies?Nigerians don't like carrying coins,we associate coins with beggers,fetish beliefs and children no jupiter can change that,d coins introduced earlier have all disappeared and no bank in Nigeria has coins in it's vault.
5.CBN is not mandated to fight corruption,but wy increase the burden of the police and EFCC?
6.European countries and the US highly regulate the flow of high denomination as counterfeiters find it profitable to duplicate.A criminal can afford to spend 2K to produce a high quality counterfeit of 5K
I can go on and on,but I suggest government shld invites stakeholders to a forum to discuss the new policy b4 implementation.
@Seun,I'm quite surprised but I take it ur view is based on certain info wc might not be too accurate.

One of the reasonable comments on here.

Also, he said he wants to introduce the coins side by side the notes. Now, won't it be expensive and counter productive have same denominations of currency in different formats?

I think SLS just want continue with the silly trend in d CBN, where every gov wants to introduce or change one currency or the other. He should also have gone ahead to put his name and picture on the new currency.

Can he tell us one good reason we need to spend about 40billion naira to print notes, that will endanger our economy and easy looting?

Am disappointed!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by niyooo(m): 12:35pm On Aug 27, 2012
@ Jarus, You claim to be an Economist and I know you have some sense up there. How do you relate the cashless policy introduced by the CBN with the introduction of the N5000 note Nigerians love carrying cash, you want to discourage them, then you should be thinking in terms of cancelling the higher denomination so that the inconvenience of carrying too much cash forces people to make use of e-channels and not introducing higher denomination to make it convenient for them to carry such without being noticed. All that talk about withdrawal and deposit limit penalties are being circumvented by the banks for their high profile customers and I’m not talking from what I heard, it’s from what I know.

Jarus, use your brain and stop swallowing everything SLS tells you hook, line and sinker. That was how you were arguing with me the other time on the issue of CBN not advertising before employing and could not provide evidence of the adverts. Some people have already given examples of the effect of making the N5, N10 & N20 coins. Nigerians are not suddenly going to fall in love with coins. In order to ensure that you don’t end up with coins, you decide to sell things for 4 for N50 rather than selling for probably N10 each. Coining those notes is going to fuel inflation without gainsaying. SLS just wants to award contracts so he can get cut-backs.

In developed nations where higher denominations are rarely used, it’s because the e-channel systems are working well. Introduction of the N5000 note has absolutely no correlation with the cashless policy being championed by the CBN. The excuse of ATM loading has already been clarified as a lie. And the lie that it is a cash management thing is so lame. That is what the cashless policy is supposed to address.

Those who have brains should read between the lines.

7 Likes

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ayobase(m): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I would make a law that says, you reject coins, you don't get paid. Shikena.
Why should people be rejecting coins? Are Nigerians okay at all?

Im fully in support of this.....so let him start with our N1 and 50K coins and notes working ''side by side'' as an experiment against 2013......and lets c that BAGGA that will reject 40 5K coins for N20!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by olatwo(m): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
wasiudvd: To what extent will the effect of N5,000 note have on cash management? All banks have limit on all their ATMs, even though their is still space in the cassettes, u can't load more than the your limit.
Each branchs vault have limit too, this limit is not number of notes but figures, so as soon as d limit is reached, it does not matter if u are moving just a single note with bullion van, you will incure the same expense when u are moving hundreds.
Any time dis man wan do sumtin, he no dey think twice?

Ʋ spoke my mind bro! to add when he was asked abt service of 4800 being round up to 5k he waz quick to answer like he haz never seen dat kindof scenario. aπϑ what if Ʋ require a service of 500 aπϑ Ʋ expect 4500 balance are Ʋ not still left with the same denominations Ʋ are trying to avoid?. Meanwhile when Ʋ reduce d flow of those notes Ђδω are we supposed to balance the change.
This f̶o̶o̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ man should just leave Nigerians alone aπϑ not add to the more already problems. On the coins issue let SLS tell us sincerely one sensible man who will prefare a paper note to the heavy metal coins?.......... SMH.

His justification is just lame
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Mustay(m): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2012
2ru-talk:

It is obvious that the interviewer is a novice in the field of Economics. How can you interview someone on a field you are completely ignorant of? It is totally unprofessional. I think there ought to be core specialization and division of labour in journalism, if we really want to make it result oriented.

1 The interviewer never made mention of doing a journalist's job - read 'conversation'.

2 Except maybe you're an infrequent user or newbie, it's obvious you don't know the interviewer is ironically a 1st class graduate of Economics. iLaff in AdamSmithically.

3 When 'journalists' - professionals as you'd like to call them are granted an interview by SLS, let them do so profesionally.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ANYPEN(m): 12:37pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:

how is it risky?
how would you tell i have such amount in the left pocket of my jacket? one bundle of this 5000 note is N500k.....which is more convenient unlike carrying 5 bundles of 1000 note to carry the same amount of money!

Well, the quality of your jacket will tell & even if there's nothing in it, your life may have gone before they know your jacket isn't carrying such amount
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by muchex: 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
High-Denomination Banknotes
The Subcommittee has asked for our views on the advantages and disadvantages of issuing U.S. banknotes in denominations higher than $100. We considered how a higher-denomination note could enhance the attractiveness of using U.S. currency and could provide savings by reducing printing, processing, and transportation costs. These benefits were weighed against the concern that high-denomination banknotes could facilitate money laundering and drug trafficking.

Demand for U.S. currency and for specific denominations is driven by many factors, including the needs for a medium of exchange and a store of value. Domestic demand for currency is largely transaction-oriented and is influenced by income levels, prices, and the availability of alternative payment methods. Increases in domestic demand for high-denomination banknotes ($50s and $100s) have been generally modest because Americans tend to use checks, credit/debit cards, or other noncash forms of payment for larger-dollar transactions. The introduction of a higher-denomination banknote saves printing and processing costs, but only to the extent that the public shifts its demand from $100s to larger-denomination notes. Even if such a shift occurred, any savings would likely be minimal without a substantial reduction in the demand for other notes -- $1s through $20s account for about 85 percent of the production of the BEP and over 90 percent of the Federal Reserve's processing.

International demand for U.S. currency is influenced largely by the stability of foreign currencies, the confidence in the U.S. dollar as a stable currency backed by a strong economy, and the lack of any recall of U.S. currency. As I mentioned earlier, approximately two-thirds of U.S. currency is held internationally, but about three-quarters of the $100 notes in circulation are held overseas. Foreigners use high-denomination U.S. banknotes primarily for savings, but we also find that countries with transitioning economic and political environments use U.S. currency as a medium of exchange. Ultimately, we believe the strength and stability of our economy will continue to be the primary factors influencing international demand for U.S. currency. Thus, the introduction of a high-denomination U.S. banknote would likely produce minimal increases in demand for U.S. currency.

Although there are some benefits associated with a high-denomination banknote, the law enforcement community has expressed concern about the disproportionate use of large-denomination banknotes for illicit activity including money laundering, drug trafficking, and tax evasion. In addition to making large-value transactions more efficient, a high-denomination note could inadvertently facilitate illegitimate transactions by making them more efficient as well. Such concerns prompted the Canadian government's recent proposal to cease issuing its $1000 banknote.

In weighing the marginal benefits of introducing a high-denomination U.S. banknote against law enforcement concerns about illegitimate activities, we do not foresee any immediate need to issue high-denomination notes.

Even the US Government knows that higher denominations can save printing costs but weighing it against its odds, they chose not to go for it, Sanusi is not a genius after all.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Beync(f): 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2012
Flexskillz: Picture this scenario, i buy an item worth N500, I present a N5000 note i recieve a balance of N4500 in other denominations, am i not gonna ed up with more cash in my pocket?
clasic senario!! pls can any one explain how a balance of 4500 in other denominations say 200x22 + 100 note enhance cashless economy?

sanusi is high on kwunu
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by cutievik: 12:39pm On Aug 27, 2012
diluminati:
one word. Shutup
Must u always reply every remark dat someone makes?Must u use harsh words to hurt their feelings wen they r mature ways to go about it,must u.........,Ooops! Sorry i forgot to ask,"How are u?" i guess there lies my answer.GET A LIFE!

1 Like

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by coogar: 12:45pm On Aug 27, 2012
ANY-PEN :

Well, the quality of your jacket will tell & even if there's nothing in it, your life may have gone before they know your jacket isn't carrying such amount

better to keep them guessing than the the obvious gmg bags, don't you think?

Beync: clasic senario!! pls can any one explain how a balance of 4500 in other denominations say 200x22 + 100 note enhance cashless economy?
sanusi is high on kwunu

so how is this scenario different to when you present 1000 note to pay for a bottle of fanta?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by mystikal(m): 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2012
What is so silly about coins that we wouldnt use them anyway. Most countries do. Abeg I want to be a able to use coins with those vending machines buy something someday for naija jor. maybe train ticket, bottled water or something
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Funkymallam(m): 12:46pm On Aug 27, 2012
nl.official:
[size=20pt]Make all of una enter una banks go collect online banking and tokens.

STOP nagging like bi[i]t[/i]ches![/size]

I suppose you buy pure water, food stuff in your local market with TOKENS abi? Have you ever seen a token sef?

Its very ok being an ignoramus but making it a trademark is criminal and never accepted!

1 Like

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by olatwo(m): 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
niyooo: @ Jarus, You claim to be an Economist and I know you have some sense up there. How do you relate the cashless policy introduced by the CBN with the introduction of the N5000 note Nigerians love carrying cash, you want to discourage them, then you should be thinking in terms of cancelling the higher denomination so that the inconvenience of carrying too much cash forces people to make use of e-channels and not introducing higher denomination to make it convenient for them to carry such without being noticed. All that talk about withdrawal and deposit limit penalties are being circumvented by the banks for their high profile customers and I’m not talking from what I heard, it’s from what I know.

Jarus, use your brain and stop swallowing everything SLS tells you hook, line and sinker. That was how you were arguing with me the other time on the issue of CBN not advertising before employing and could not provide evidence of the adverts. Some people have already given examples of the effect of making the N5, N10 & N20 coins. Nigerians are not suddenly going to fall in love with coins. In order to ensure that you don’t end up with coins, you decide to sell things for 4 for N50 rather than selling for probably N10 each. Coining those notes is going to fuel inflation without gainsaying. SLS just wants to award contracts so he can get cut-backs.

In developed nations where higher denominations are rarely used, it’s because the e-channel systems are working well. Introduction of the N5000 note has absolutely no correlation with the cashless policy being championed by the CBN. The excuse of ATM loading has already been clarified as a lie. And the lie that it is a cash management thing is so lame. That is what the cashless policy is supposed to address.

God bless Ɣø̲̣U my brother a trillion times. I expect @SEUN aπϑ @Jarus to comment on this.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by bittyend(m): 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
Nigeria and its abracadabra policy makers. Nigeria is going down the drain, till we rid the country off these uneducated fools in-charge of affairs.. With the proposed N5000 notes, I bet counterfeiters are going to have a field day, and inflation is going to skyrocket.

Even the UK regulates the way £50 notes are given out, I've NEVER seen an ATM machine give out £50 notes in the UK, and banks also rarely give them out. I still don't know why we need N5000 notes.

Why can't we just destroy the economy and do what Zimbabwe did, and also print the trash below.... A country ruled by gorillas!!

2 Likes

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:47pm On Aug 27, 2012
cutievik: Must u always reply every remark dat someone makes?Must u use harsh words to hurt their feelings wen they r mature ways to go about it,must u.........,Ooops! Sorry i forgot to ask,"How are u?" i guess there lies my answer.GET A LIFE!
Nairaland is an avenue for some people to share their family problems now grin grin grin
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by logica(m): 12:48pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:

can i carry 5 bundles of 100k on me without attracting the eyes of hoodlums? which is easier to carry around, 1 bundle of 500k or 5 bundles of 100k?
You must be naive if you think hoodlums know you are carrying money just by staring at you. There is no robbery without information. Meaning they must have been tipped off (either by an employee of the bank or somebody present as you collected the money or the person you are paying the money to).

In any case, I don't see how this policy rhymes with the cashless policy. It's like speaking from both sides of the mouth. The 5k note simply encourages people to carry larger amounts of cash which they normally wouldn't due to bulk. I for one have never carried any amount of cash larger than 100k. Anything beyond that, I do a transfer.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by manny4life(m): 12:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
Just like I said on one other thread,

"The people suffer when a cattle rearer is the CEO is Nigeria's largest bank."

Why am I not surprised, how many times have we argued that though there's no direct relationship between large denominations and inflation, however, large denomination in circulation does contribute to the factors affecting inflation.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by demmie1: 12:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
sanusi talks as if its robots that the policies will affect, he did not take into that higher currencies without increase in amount make people to spend more, putting pressure on prices, the cashless economy is fine but the economy has not made any headway with it.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by bittyend(m): 12:51pm On Aug 27, 2012
niyooo: @ Jarus, You claim to be an Economist and I know you have some sense up there. How do you relate the cashless policy introduced by the CBN with the introduction of the N5000 note Nigerians love carrying cash, you want to discourage them, then you should be thinking in terms of cancelling the higher denomination so that the inconvenience of carrying too much cash forces people to make use of e-channels and not introducing higher denomination to make it convenient for them to carry such without being noticed. All that talk about withdrawal and deposit limit penalties are being circumvented by the banks for their high profile customers and I’m not talking from what I heard, it’s from what I know.

And who told you Mallam Jarus has a brain? shocked The guy is just another Fulani servant, who views everything based on Islamic brotherhood. Sanusi is just an Islamist with Ph.D in Islamic studies from the Sudan, I still don't know what he's doing at CBN. Sanusi would be better off as the head of Sharia council, than CBN.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ANYPEN(m): 12:53pm On Aug 27, 2012
AjanleKoko:

That is a really dumb comment, ogbeni.
You're asking how it is the CBN governor's problem what banks load in their ATM?
You really said that?

If I've made a dumb comment, then SLS have made a dumb(er) one by not knowing that ATMs have regulations of a fix amount of money & not a fix quantity of it.

& you are the dumb(est) to have reasoned with him.

2 Likes

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by manny4life(m): 12:54pm On Aug 27, 2012

Bros, VERY GOOD points.

At the bold part, you know how many times I've stated that on several threads, what SLS is doing is just too dumb. Thank you man, after all I can see that same minds think alike.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by otokx(m): 12:54pm On Aug 27, 2012
if they like let them print 10000 naira note.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by DANILSA(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
phraze: Only people with foresight emulate the steps of Great Leaders. Mr. Seun has supported this, don't know why i should'nt. Ekù ishè Sir
Because Mr seun has done so does not automatically disable ur brain. Give us from ur own angle let's reason together and not copy together.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by brabus(m): 12:55pm On Aug 27, 2012
Theories postulated by Mallam-Plagiarist never worked and never will.

Has the cashless policy worked? Why not one-step at a time?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by peaceland(m): 12:56pm On Aug 27, 2012
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Beync(f): 12:59pm On Aug 27, 2012
push price and crash naira value. is this the way forward?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by coogar: 1:01pm On Aug 27, 2012
logica:
You must be naive if you think hoodlums know you are carrying money just by staring at you. There is no robbery without information. Meaning they must have been tipped off (either by an employee of the bank or somebody present as you collected the money or the person you are paying the money to).

don't be daft ......
what tip-off would a hoodlum standing at the entrance of a bank need when he sees an alhaji dragging several gmg bags out of a bank? all he needs is to follow him and pin-point where he resides and so on n forth.....but if the same alhaji puts a bundle of 500k in his agbada, he can walk out of the bank easily without attracting prying eyes!

In any case, I don't see how this policy rhymes with the cashless policy. It's like speaking from both sides of the mouth. The 5k note simply encourages people to carry larger amounts of cash which they normally wouldn't due to bulk. I for one have never carried any amount of cash larger than 100k. Anything beyond that, I do a transfer.

it rhymes with the cash-less policy as the 5000 note would effectively reduce the volume of currency in circulation! 1 X 5000 note = 25 X 200 notes. 200 notes of currency is more than one note. contrary to what you think, you are actually shooting yourself in the foot!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by nitrogen(m): 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2012
It is a pity, in a bid to improve our economy, our bank chief is destroying it the more at a geometric rate. One step forward, two steps backward. You just watch out and see where this ends. By God's grace, we shall all live to see it.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by chucky234(m): 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2012
The introduction of N5000 note is certainly not necessary at this time as we have more pressing issues to tackle,SLS is going to spend upto N50bn to print the said N5000 note and produced coins while our healthcare system,schools and roads are left to decay.
We all know what happened in 2007 when Soludo spent billions to produced coins,Nigerians will never be comfortable carrying coins around in this age and that's another billions that would have been spent on something beneficial to the masses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

#10YearsChallenge: Femi Otedola Shares 10 Years Throwback Photo / Egmont Group Plans To Expel Nigeria / Wema Bank Launches ALAT, First Nigerian 100% Digital Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.