Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,387 members, 7,958,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 08:44 AM

Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy (31887 Views)

Expose: Currency Policy, How CBN, Banks & APC Cheat Nigerians by Joel3 / Re: Conversation Of Jarus With SANUSI On The New Currency Policy / Picture Of Farouk Lawan Immortalised On Nigeria New Currency Note (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by coogar: 12:09pm On Aug 27, 2012
Ola one:
Thus defeating the whole 'cashless' idea

how does this policy defeat the cashless policy? the withdrawal limit is still pegged at N500k! with the 5000 note, i only need 100 notes to walk around with my maximum limit.
that can easily fit into my pocket rather than needing bags that would attract hoodlums!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by AjanleKoko: 12:11pm On Aug 27, 2012
I'm with Sanusi on this one.
Nigerians can't be blaming the government for their attitudes. Why can't you give people change? Why should people be melting down coins? What nonsense. People who are caught melting coins into other stuff should be jailed, frankly speaking.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by wonlasewonimi: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2012
Now there's a good business case for fakers to produce N5000 notes.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Olaone1: 12:12pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:

how does this policy defeat the cashless policy? the withdrawal limit is still pegged at N500k! with the 5000 note,[b] i only need 100 notes to walk around with my maximum limi[/b]t.
that can easily fit into my pocket rather than needing bags that would attract hoodlums!
Why would you want to walk around with such a large amount? Isn't that odikwa risky in Nigeria?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ayox2003: 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:

good job, jarus!
i can work with this piece rather than the sensationalised drivel i get to read on "saharareporters". i agree with the introduction of 5000 naira note, i wouldn't need a ghana-must-go bag to transport half a million naira
Ghana-must-go sack for 500k ? ? ?

Different people on this forum self.

Frawzey
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by AZeD1(m): 12:14pm On Aug 27, 2012
All those people of change should please find something else to do....

Someguy just talked about the lady in ogwashi uku not knowing what a p.o.s is. I can tell you that if people start paying for hotel accomodation with 50 naira notes the owner would get a pos within a month while they will never see pos as far as there is 5000 naira note
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by jpphilips(m): 12:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
401kk: Thanks Jarus for bringing this to nairaland.
SLS made some points quite well but I don't agree still.

First of all how will this reduce the cost of printing and managing currency?

each note has a price tag, if it cost for example 100naira to print 500naira note, it will cost 1,000naira to print 5,000naira, in 500naira denomination. but if just 100naira or a little more can print 5,000 naira single note saving 900naira for every 5,000 from 500naira denomination.

cascade to other currency denominations.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by thelastPope(m): 12:15pm On Aug 27, 2012
One of the biggest blunders you can make in taking economic decisions is to not consider the social factor. Economic administrators in Nigeria have been making this blunder for the last 30 years. They just read up their economic textbooks and apply as is.

There are no iron clad way of doing these things. You just have to do research. This is why western nations spend so much on research. You will be shocked how the social structure of a country can cause a seemingly infallible policy to fail.

Sanusi hasn't obviously considered the influence the Nigerian socio-politico structure will have on this policy. If he had, he would thread softly. This is not a good policy. Re denomination is the way to go.

1 Like

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
Acidosis:

fake things are everywhere, thus your 'fact' sounds lame. Besides, we have agencies that tackle fake products.

Dude, I've been noticing your contributions on this issue and it seems you are just bent on defending this SLS policy by all means. Pls, gimme 20 good reasons why We should have the 5k note and I will give 200 reasons why we shouldn't.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Olaone1: 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
PapaBrowne: I ma not a Sanusi fan. But I totally agree with him on this. Higher denominations don't cause inflation except there is no other currency close by that could serve as interchangeability. All this talk about politicians and corruption and inflation. . . abeg una no sabi economics!!

The area that would have caused inflation is the lower denominations been changed to coins. But Sanusi addressed it succintly. The coins would run side by side the notes until we begin to value coins more. Thats brilliant!!
Side by side? And, you believe this ridiculously spun crap?
Would you accept #20 coin when there are notes?

1 Like

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by AZeD1(m): 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:

how does this policy defeat the cashless policy? the withdrawal limit is still pegged at N500k! with the 5000 note, i only need 100 notes to walk around with my maximum limit.
But if it was with 50 naira or 20 naira notes, you would embrace internet banking, pos and the likes.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by coogar: 12:16pm On Aug 27, 2012
Ola one:
Why would you want to walk around with such a large amount? Isn't that odikwa risky in Nigeria?

how is it risky?
how would you tell i have such amount in the left pocket of my jacket? one bundle of this 5000 note is N500k.....which is more convenient unlike carrying 5 bundles of 1000 note to carry the same amount of money!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by flexdee(m): 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2012
Acidosis: Thank you for these clarifications. Nigerians always want to talk. . .always want to talk rubbish. . .on things they know nothing about.

So u expect everybody to keep mute just like you right? Now close ur eyes and think about how they lied to us during subsidy regime and conclude if things are getting better or worse. Its funny how some ppl used to think on this forum sef.

1 Like

Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ayobase(m): 12:18pm On Aug 27, 2012
Wizeboy: In as much as I agree with his decision to introduce the new N5000 note, where my worry lies is the introduction of N20 coin. Though COIN is been used in more advanced countries of the world as a means of transaction but I doubt if that will work in Nigeria.

I remember when 50kobo and N1 was converted to coin, the price of sweet, biscuits and some other items quickly rise to N5 and had been like that since then. I strongly believe if N20 notes is finally converted to coin, hardly will the value worth what it is today (the price of Pure Water, Biscuit, Sweet and some other things will change drastically) because of Nigerians mentality.

He should therefore, let N5, N10 and N20 remain paper note, in order not to cause hardship for Nigerians.

I wonder why people are heeding to this policy when there are yet some unsettled matters on ground right from the time he introduced minted N1 and 50K.....
Before he implements this 5K note, let we have those coins back in the market and see how fair it is......
Who cares about 5K note....he can implement N1M note if he cares.
The point is he shouldn't devalue some currencies by minting them!
Were those rejecting coins then arrested?
Let him rearrange his scale 'o' preference before dragging us into what generations to come are gonna be sufferring from.......
@@he just like to dey make mouth!@@
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ayobase(m): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
Police sef no go wan collect coins......hmmm!
So, what are we not talking about!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by AjanleKoko: 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
big deal 007:

Dude, I've been noticing your contributions on this issue and it seems you are just bent on defending this SLS policy by all means. Pls, gimme 20 good reasons why We should have the 5k note and I will give 200 reasons why we shouldn't.

You start by giving us your 200 reasons.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by pankere(m): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2012
It is common knowledge that Nigerians dislike the use of coins.The last ones they issued out (One niara & co) where are they today? Who wil go to market and buy goods and accept coins as change? Or will an okadaman give u coins as change and you will collect? Or at the filling station? Why cant government learn to listen to the people instead of embarking on white elephant projects that guzzle billions and get rejected by the masses.One major rule of democratic governance is never to force policies down the throat of the masses.When Soludo intended to lower naira denomoinations to make the highest denomination to be N20. the government went against him.But now sanusi wants to introduce N5000 note and the government is up for it.One thing about denomination of currency is that it is never enough. somebody will also wake up one day and decide to raise it to N10000.the top economies of the world have put a limit on their currency denomination and just dont increase it every few years like our irresponsible and selfish leaders are doing.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by coogar: 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2012
A-ZeD:

But if it was with 50 naira or 20 naira notes, you would embrace internet banking, pos and the likes.

nigerians would embrace ghana must go bags like they did in the past! these bags attract criminals!!! anyone coming out of the bank with those bags are easy pickings for hoodlums! i totally embrace the 5000 note especially for someone like ke whenever i visit nigeria! i get tired of counting n counting dirty 200/500 notes when changing ordinary £100
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by logica(m): 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:
i can work with this piece r i wouldn't need a ghana-must-go bag to transport half a million naira anymore.
Half a millon is 500k. That's 5 bundles of 100k. If u need a GMG bag for that, I posit your bag is filled with old newspapers.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2012
J12:

How is Sanusi's response brilliant?
If you can't see it now, I don't think I can show it to you.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ayobase(m): 12:23pm On Aug 27, 2012
AjanleKoko: I'm with Sanusi on this one.
Nigerians can't be blaming the government for their attitudes. Why can't you give people change? Why should people be melting down coins? What nonsense. People who are caught melting coins into other stuff should be jailed, frankly speaking.

What happened to those that rejected then....are the new rejectee gonna be jailed?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by koolboi(m): 12:24pm On Aug 27, 2012
All these nairalanders don de collect egunje from CBN. Seun is the head of the deligation. National cake de circulate o.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by coogar: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2012
logica: Half a millon is 500k. That's 5 bundles of 100k. If u need a GMG bag for that, I posit your bag is filled with old newspapers.

can i carry 5 bundles of 100k on me without attracting the eyes of hoodlums? which is easier to carry around, 1 bundle of 500k or 5 bundles of 100k?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by mathskill: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2012
2ru-talk:

It is obvious that the interviewer is a novice in the field of Economics. How can you interview someone on a field you are completely ignorant of? It is totally unprofessional. I think there ought to be core specialization and division of labour in journalism, if we really want to make it result oriented.
Must you be a politician to interview the president,an engineer to interview the GM of NNPC,a police officer to interview a criminal,a lawyer to interview the CJN,a medical doctor to interview a patient etc.Just because you dont like the line of questioning doesn't make them irrelevant.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by AjanleKoko: 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2012
ayobase:

What happened to those that rejected then....are the new rejectee gonna be jailed?

I would make a law that says, you reject coins, you don't get paid. Shikena.
Why should people be rejecting coins? Are Nigerians okay at all?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Mustay(m): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2012
coogar:

break your high denomination currency before going to the road to get a cab! uk!

Just what I was gonna post.

Let the #20 et al remain paper note.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by ANYPEN(m): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2012
puskin:

The bolded part is a complete fallacy as at now. I say this because the maximum a bank's cash officer can load in any ATM is 2million. Anything above that is at the risk of the cash officer and that amount is the maximum NDIC can cover in the event ATM theft should arise.
So the issue of loading more money into the ATM doesn't arise here......unless that policy is reviewed.

What's even his business with how much they load or how they load? What is his business with easing the process of loading in an ATM and How is this affecting the economy positively. This is a very lame excuse & with just that excuse I'm sure the other ones are lame as well.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by muchex: 12:27pm On Aug 27, 2012
ifeci: Pls mr sanusi, We know that high denomination currency results in ease of corruption and weakening of banking system. In addition to this ease, cash transactions are by definition, non-traceable, since unlike in the bank, they leave no footprint. These properties of high denomination currency make it the preferred currency for storing black money which fosters parallel economy. This also means that people who steal Government money can store large chunks at home without traces. Additionally, mr sanusi, the introduction of high denomination notes will grossly reduce d use of the banking system as large ticket transactions can now be done without the need for banks; of which the direct result is, poor credit formation and inadequate capital supply to the economy.

Good points u hv raised here my brother, good points! in as much as we want to reduce the cost of producing currencies, wots the use if that money saved is still going to be embezzled and also aid the embezzlement of more funds by politicians? and also the issue of parallel economy which is sure recipe for tax evasion, etc.
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Olaone1: 12:27pm On Aug 27, 2012
Coins and notes would run side by side until coins gain acceptability. I mean, among Nigerians? Will Nigerians ever accept that when there are Naira notes? He knows this is the only part that can lead to inflation hence this tasteless attempt to coat it nicely, albeit a job badly done.

Aren't there rehabs in Nigeria? Help! Sanusi is on control cruise!

Time out, I will be back!
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by AjanleKoko: 12:28pm On Aug 27, 2012
ANY-PEN :

What's even his business with how much they load or how they load? What is his business with easing the process of loading in an ATM and How is this affecting the economy positively. This is a very lame excuse & with just that excuse I'm sure the other ones are lame as well.

That is a really dumb comment, ogbeni.
You're asking how it is the CBN governor's problem what banks load in their ATM?
You really said that?
Re: Conversation With Sanusi On "New" Currency Policy by Biggyd2: 12:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
Posterity will surely judge us in this country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Why Paddy Adenuga's Bid To Acquire Chevron Failed / Name That Thing(s) You Bought And Later Regret Buying. / Making It Big On Fiverr (Q&A thread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.