Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets (9211 Views)

Massive Traffic As Jonathan Visit Lagos (Photo) / Oba Okunade Sijuwade Flaunts His Painted Nails During Jonathan's Visit / Photos From President's Jonathan's Visit To Maiduguri Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Dainfamous: 8:23pm On Aug 28, 2012
Anambra orders closure of markets as Jonathan visit

Awka – The Anambra government has ordered the closure of four major markets in the state ahead of President Goodluck Jonathan’s planned visit to the state on Aug. 30.

The markets are the Onitsha Main market in Onitsha North and other markets in Ogbaru, Onitsha South and Idemili North local government areas.

The state Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, Chief Joe-Martins Uzodike, said on Tuesday in Awka that the decision was to forestall any security breach.

Uzodike also announced a restriction of vehicular movement in the areas between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m on the day of the visit.

“All markets in Onitsha North, Onitsha South, Ogbaru and Idemili North local government areas shall be closed between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Thursday Aug. 30.

“This is to pave way for easy flow of traffic during the president’s visit in the areas,” the commissioner said.

He appealed to the traders and transport operators as well as residents to regard the measure as a necessary sacrifice for the betterment of the state.

According to him, the President’s visit will pave way for the creation of 5,000 jobs and change the fortune of the state in many other ways.

The President is expected to, among other projects, inaugurate the Orient Petroleum Oil, SABMiller Brewery, Orange Drugs Company, Krisoral Company and the Onitsha Inland port.

The Onitsha Bridge Head gate will also be renamed after Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu during the visit.

Gov. Peter Obi had said that the President would inaugurate projects executed by both the private sector and his administration during the visit. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/anambra-orders-closure-of-markets-as-jonathan-visit/
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by emiye(m): 1:07am On Aug 29, 2012
Why stop economic activity in four large markets for over 8 hours because the president is on a visit ?

undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by taharqa: 5:35am On Aug 29, 2012
-
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Nobody: 5:38am On Aug 29, 2012
and why not? You must not comment if you got nothing to say. Its simple security, onitcha have many go slow dats why

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by amaham(m): 6:35am On Aug 29, 2012
Why won't they wait till the complete the 2nd niger bridge before they rename the bridge-head gate. The present bridge head gate is an eye sore
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 29, 2012
amaham: Why won't they wait till the complete the 2nd niger bridge before they rename the bridge-head gate. The present bridge head gate is an eye sore
i've lost interest in the opinion of our people. Nigeria citizens are worst than the leaders. Naging and ingrates thats what we are.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 29, 2012
we criticise because we are not in power. I cal dat selfishnes. How many of you can do better than GEJ? None. Some body build sabmiler etc and want to commision it bt u r talking abt 2nd niger bridge. Can u build ROME in a day?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by saintneo(m): 9:44am On Aug 29, 2012
Da infamous:

The Onitsha Bridge Head gate will also be renamed after Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu during the visit.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/anambra-orders-closure-of-markets-as-jonathan-visit/
Nice move.

I expect tribalists to come here use their progressive-counter-logic-arguments to go against the closure of the markets.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by dan55: 10:25am On Aug 29, 2012
great
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Afam4eva(m): 10:31am On Aug 29, 2012
Anambra still remains my best Igbo state because they seem to be the only Igbo group that looks home when building a factory or any company for that matter. If all of Igbo land can be like Ndi Anambra, then Igbo land will be better for it.

Since the Onitsha bridge will be renamed after Ojukwu, i think his statue should be erected somewhere around there.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Lordrama: 10:35am On Aug 29, 2012
Soon Anambra Oil Will Start
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by jamil2(m): 10:40am On Aug 29, 2012
Is there any boko boys in Anambra if not why all these restrictions they should allow business to continue as usual.
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by timtom: 10:41am On Aug 29, 2012
Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by DICKtator: 10:43am On Aug 29, 2012
Good decision. They don't want a replica of what happened when Impatience jonathan was in Lagos.
Seems this government has a listening ear
barth nnaji,why?why?why? cry cry cry cry
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Skywalker5(m): 10:44am On Aug 29, 2012
All these governors self. You close a whole market because president is coming to town. what are they thinking? all these rankadede parole is killing the economy. you stop economic activities because president wan come your town. i mean WTF

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by bblacky(f): 10:46am On Aug 29, 2012
No b to shut down economic activities b d issue, d issue s to mk sure s comin here yields benefit to d state aftawards....and i hope he wil drive along d trap calld road-Enugu/Osha exprssway to Awka....
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by EzePromoe: 10:46am On Aug 29, 2012
For an Anambra man to close his shop because of you Mr. President shows the love and respect they have for you, during the election Anambra had the 2nd highest percentage of voters that voted for you (second only to Bayelsa your state). Please do well to look into the problem of our state e.g the second Niger bridge you promised since the begining of your tenure

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 29, 2012
Na wa oo.

Igbo's should read the SURE booklet and grow some brains in political juggernism .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 29, 2012
That is good of them and the president, not every body that hate their president for no cause. I love just that.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by gbanikiti(m): 10:51am On Aug 29, 2012
saintneo: Nice move.

I expect tribalists to come here use their progressive-counter-logic-arguments to go against the closure of the markets.
just wait for them.they will soon be around.
@op I don't really care if the market closes down for one year.my happiness is that the niger bridge will be named after Ojukwu.development is gradually coming to stay in the southeast.the president's visit is a welcome development for anambra people and ndi igbo at large.
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Luckygurl(f): 10:54am On Aug 29, 2012
WTF
Anyway let me comment my reserve...
ProudLY ANAMBRANIAN.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Ekans: 10:54am On Aug 29, 2012
So,i will lose my daily bread tomorrow because jona is visiting to commission what the federal government did not contribute to?
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by redsun(m): 11:02am On Aug 29, 2012
More like a junta's visit,than a democratically selected presi-thief.

What is he sacred of?
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Esss(m): 11:02am On Aug 29, 2012
And whats the problem with that?!!
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by Esss(m): 11:06am On Aug 29, 2012
redsun: More like a junta's visit,than a democratically selected presi-thief.

What is he sacred of?

He is scared of a bunch of MASSOB NIGGAS and Ignorant Nigerians acting a fool and forcing his well trained security detail to open fire on them and lay them all out.. Look at it like this, the closing of those markets and temporary curfew is more to your advantage than his.. Call it saving you from him..
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by billante(m): 11:07am On Aug 29, 2012
If na public holiday dat is declared tomoro won't they still stay at home without complaining! Like the report said its going to create thousands of job! So make una bear am...

Meanwhile the onitsha river port is going to be Concessioned to private firm to run- ministry of transport
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by ujukala: 11:10am On Aug 29, 2012
A new job market will also be created for 5000 people and the entire Nigerians and beyond. Check back in 2 days time at the website under this post.
taharqa: -
Re: Jonathan Visit: Anambra Closes Markets by OILOFGLADNESS: 11:11am On Aug 29, 2012
i have always been proud to be an anambarian and now , i am more roud than ever, good move to honour Ojukwu, ikemba one of anambra

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Benjamin Adekunle Murdered 28 Ibibio Leaders And Buried Them In Mass Grave / Ralph Uwazuruike Endorses Bianca Ojukwu For Senate / Eight Assembly Remains Most Audacious Despite Challenges – Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.