Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers (11779 Views)

My First Experience After Smoking Marijuana (the Aftermath) - A Short Story / I Want To Stop Smoking Marijuana. What Do I Do? / Smoking Marijuana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by DICKtator: 9:29pm On Sep 20, 2012
ekt_bear: Teenagers who frequently smoke marijuana may be setting themselves up for declines in intelligence and mental function that persist well into adulthood, new research suggests.

In a decades-long study of more than 1,000 New Zealanders, researchers found that adolescents who used marijuana at least four days per week lost an average of eight IQ points between the ages of 13 and 38 -- a pattern not seen among people who began smoking heavily only in adulthood.

Heavy pot smokers tended to show deficits in memory, concentration, and overall brainpower in relation to their peers, but these problems were more pronounced -- and seemingly more lasting -- among those who picked up the habit as teens, the study found.
Individuals who smoked heavily in adolescence had consistently lower IQs at age 38, even if they'd cut back in the previous year. By contrast, the IQ of the relative latecomers to marijuana was more closely linked with how much pot they'd smoked recently.

"The effect of persistent cannabis use on intellectual functioning is really confined to adolescents, (which) suggests that adolescents, in particular, are vulnerable to the effect of cannabis," says lead author Madeline H. Meier, a psychologist and postdoctoral researcher at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina.

An eight-point decline in IQ isn't negligible, the authors say. Previous research suggests a drop in intelligence of that magnitude could, for instance, affect a person's long-term career prospects, job performance and income.
It's reasonable to suspect that still-growing teen brains might be especially sensitive to the cumulative effects of marijuana, says Dr. Jeffrey Brosco, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Miami's Miller School of Medicine.
"In the developing brain, neurons are growing and changing, synapses are forming," says Brosco, who was not involved in the study. "When there's a lot of change in any part of the body, particularly the brain, that usually means it's more vulnerable to environmental influences."

More at--http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/27/health/health-teen-pot/index.html

The conclusion isn't very surprising I guess, but nice to have actual evidence to back it up.

Trash!!!. Na *removedByMODERATOR* we for smoke!!!!!
btw, Fashola has banned smoking in public places so what is the use of this? No one smokes Mary Jane again!!!
Na akpako dem de nack am.
stoned weeed SK high jogodo. all na the same
grin grin grin grin
what tha phuuuck did i just type? smh
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Guy101: 9:32pm On Sep 20, 2012
akereconfi:

I stay in an Area where if u dont smoke....they will term u "JEW MAN".....n i hav being able to stay all ma life without smokin nor drinking..........buh am addicted to COCA COLA soft drink....coke.(not cocaine o). Like cigar contains nicotine, that'z d addictive part of cigar.....in coke, there'z caffeine and that caffeine makes me addicted. My soft drinks do me well......thanks for ya "BLAH" am good

So u r proud to say u r addictive to coca cola.That one na diabetics for u ooo.Everything has its own effect.Dont claim to be wise.Only the gods are wise.OKoli pass me d Koli joor.
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by obailala(m): 9:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Pgent1: Abeg help me shout am 2 dia ears...marijuana is not d best thing 2 give inspiration except u wan turn 2 d likes of terry g,mallam spicy&co(i hope u know dat 2baba start makng sense when he quit egbo)
ignorance is terrible especially wen displayed with boldness. Any discerning person who listens carefully to 2baba's lyrics will certainly know where his inspiration comes from
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by moleks(m): 9:38pm On Sep 20, 2012
Fools, marijuana doesn't make some1 mad.......try it some time nd feel the kinda inspirations u'll get......as for me marijuana makes me feel normal nd sharp!!!
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by makarveli: 9:46pm On Sep 20, 2012
Dat was a nice tutorial. U r damn rite. I have observed dat d youths of nowadays smoke carefreely n dis in turn has affected dia intelligence,focus in life n direction. We nid more of dis lectures 2 be aware of hw we leave our lives.
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by oluwacjay: 10:09pm On Sep 20, 2012
Emperor5c: Na lie!!!!
Hav u eva tried smokin skonk(SK)?? I swear u‘ll b communin wif d gods
Who still smokes weed shocked ma SK be d koko, guaranteed 2 see stars ni. A research shd be done on SK, dis research is already outdated
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Pakavy(m): 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2012
spiaggia: Hello everybody, please need advice on this issue. My wife just arrived America but incidentally had her passport stamped with NO E.O.S/ NO A.O.S by a lady immigration officer who went verbal with unprintable things said. Please is there any possible way in which she can get an extension with this stamped on her passport?

is d lady immigration officer a ganja reefer?
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by ujchief(m): 10:27pm On Sep 20, 2012
Now i understand why shymex comes up wit conspiracy theories all the time.

1 Like

Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Shalome(m): 10:36pm On Sep 20, 2012
Most of the music u haterz like are Ganja influenced,wiz khalifa,snoopDogg,Tupac,B.I.G,Nas,damian marley,bob marley,beenie man,M.I...U think M.i doesnt smoke,he did that blaze song,my fav toking song*Even if u dey smoke marijuana God bless u*
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by swizz01(m): 10:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
I tink very clearly each time I smoke it.....avnt seen †ђξ effect...bt smokin cigarrete Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ dangerous aπϑ dat I knw...dts why I do †ђξ weed stuff.... cheesy[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Lagos_Boi:

who told you 2baba stopped smoking? anyday anytime he's high on weed.

Wizkid, Wande Coal, D'banj and many more are living testimonies of weed miracles
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by sconsults: 11:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
[size=18pt]thank god my iq is already very low so i can smoke as much as i like cool[/size]

1 Like

Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by kandiikane(m): 1:21am On Sep 21, 2012
vanstanzy:

U sure grin grin grin grin grin Me thinks you even failed woefully. U must be mistaking.

Lool! With this sentence, you have confirmed the research to be true. grin
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by stmarc32(m): 2:03am On Sep 21, 2012
I don't now why people argue and debate about this herb....The answer is simple

Taking anything in excess and at the wrong time is detrimental to your health , smoking weed in moderation increases your consciousness,enhances your ability to analyze everything around you and ultimately good for self reflection.

Using weed as a form of escape or as a party drug is detrimental....I don't even know how any research carried out on weed cannot be biased...too many stereotype and negativity attached to it.

1 Like

Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by kpolli(m): 3:32am On Sep 21, 2012
Cuddlemii: Other words or terms for marijuana(extra education)
Igbo,
o fe lo wa pa,
kpolli,
fried fish,
grass,
pot,
ganja,
do*pe,
wanna go for a haircut,
indian hemp,
spliff,
mofe tafe,
gbana
weed

Did u just call me marijuana? angry angry angry angry
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Cuddlemii: 3:51am On Sep 21, 2012
kpolli:

Did u just call me marijuana? angry angry angry angry

grin grin
ever had it with espresso? smiley
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by LordBabs(m): 3:51am On Sep 21, 2012
To all fellow Marijuanists in the house, be ye of good will and remain in steadfastness. The key to the ultimate salvation of the mind rests on Marijuanism. With time, it shall be a course in the universities? The naive shall be educated of its stupendous knowledge. It shall be legally argued and accepted. It shall be free-for-all. ALL HAIL MARIJUANISM!
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by dramenda(f): 4:56am On Sep 21, 2012
aramanda ewe n la.
once a smoker way back,when i dont need it(mentally) just want to feel among,so it has a bad effect on me cus no activity to channel it to.gast quit men. trust me ganja gives u BOLDNESS, wish i could start again,
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Nobody: 5:19am On Sep 21, 2012
Tell that to Fela and Bob Marley. Still worshipped after their deaths
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by hardbody: 5:36am On Sep 21, 2012
kandiikane: Ì. Smoked it before to help me revise once and it helped. I remembered everything I read.

Me too. There was this topic in law of contract, I think it had to do with privity or so, I could not grab it for a while, but someday when I smoked the stuff and went to the library, all the points made sense, stuck and remained useful or that exam in the following month
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by ciphoenix: 6:49am On Sep 21, 2012
Ejiné: @OP
Or perhaps it could mean that the reason they started smoking the marijuana in the first place was because they ALWAYS were retarrds? undecided
true
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by ciphoenix: 6:59am On Sep 21, 2012
Its a psychostimulant. If you're foolish, it'll enhance your foolishness, but if you're bright, it'll make you smarter. The memory impairment thing is a dose dependent effect.
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by ejyski(m): 7:00am On Sep 21, 2012
Abeg tell the dumb ass well
Emperor5c:
My broda jst try smoke am 1st only den wil u realise wot u‘ve bn missin all dis while..
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by ciphoenix: 7:05am On Sep 21, 2012
I have 2 questions.
1. Is marijuana (or any cannabis for that matter) illegal in nigeria?
2. If not, how can i get it ASAP. Need it especially now
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by free2ryhme: 8:05am On Sep 21, 2012
who conducted this research anyway?
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by EGO3(m): 8:34am On Sep 21, 2012
"Holy grass" should not be taken by people whom it doesnt suit, if your system does not accept it and you keeping taking it then you become bleeped up. If its the other way round then expect to be the best in whatever you do. tongue
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by baslone: 8:43am On Sep 21, 2012
Shalomé: Most of the music u haterz like are Ganja influenced,wiz khalifa,snoopDogg,Tupac,B.I.G,Nas,damian marley,bob marley,beenie man,M.I...U think M.i doesnt smoke,he did that blaze song,my fav toking song*Even if u dey smoke marijuana God bless u*

Since Reasonable Doubt, Jay has made it clear that he will often "leave that weed alone, man."

However, Jigga admitted to XXL that after constantly touching up "Izzo," he didn’t finish it until
he blazed one. “My man who sold weed and shit came, and he said, ‘Man, you need—man, just smoke some weed.’

I smoked some weed, and that’s how I finished ‘Izzo.’”

so iz Esco

1 Like

Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 21, 2012
shymexx: I concur being a former/rehabilitated smoker(that's for me)... However, I don't think this is the case for everyone, some people are different... I know people who function better after smoking zoobie, but personally - it makes me weak, forgetful, lazy, and at the same time overly assertive(the same for most of my mates)...

It depends on the individual's brain capacity and how much their brain can take... I've seen people smoke mash(the lightest marijuana) and go nuts - and I've also seen people smoke high grade, or cheese, yet maintain their normalcy but function at a higher IQ/consciousness(say things extremely intelligent and brilliant)...

In conclusion, just like every scientific research, I think this research is inconclusive! cool

For the Bolded this is the last time I will engage you in an Argument. Didnt know you were once a Dementia grin grin grin
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by Willzkid(m): 9:38am On Sep 21, 2012
shymexx: I concur being a former/rehabilitated smoker(that's for me)... However, I don't think this is the case for everyone, some people are different... I know people who function better after smoking zoobie, but personally - it makes me weak, forgetful, lazy, and at the same time overly assertive(the same for most of my mates)...

It depends on the individual's brain capacity and how much their brain can take... I've seen people smoke mash(the lightest marijuana) and go nuts - and I've also seen people smoke high grade, or cheese, yet maintain their normalcy but function at a higher IQ/consciousness(say things extremely intelligent and brilliant)...

In conclusion, just like every scientific research, I think this research is inconclusive! cool
SHYMMEX was the name that actually came to my mind on seeing this topic
lipsrsealed grin
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by megxo(m): 10:13am On Sep 21, 2012
Psylas: I tot dat marijuana gives inspiration
INSPIRATION 2 BE DANFO DRIVERS grin
Re: Smoking Marijuana Reduces IQ Of Teenagers by adaptor4all: 10:24am On Sep 21, 2012
Its quite obvious sm peeps do not fully understand dis post..Marijuana,lyk life itsef,is nt dat easy 2 comprehend
Not tryin 2 blow my trumpet though,bt I gotta let u knw..I am a Professor in Opioids n opioid-like substances..they always have inconclusive stories
They r for extremists..Sm persons are too dull cos of it,sm r extremely sharp cos f it,though many stil waver
About d issue,don't say what u don't knw.If u r confused abt it,either u 4get abt it totally or u hook up wit oda profs around u
Marijuana is not 4 child's play..look b4 u leap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CSOs Hold "Let The Poor Live" Protest In Abuja Over Ban On Sachet Alcohol / Over 5,000 Nigerian Doctors In S/africa - Envoy / Pls Does P-alaxin Malaria Drugs Scratch The Body?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.