Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 (10049 Views)

Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust / OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007. / OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt Free When I Left Office In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ojotask: 11:07am On Aug 29, 2012
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has scored his administration high, saying he achieved all that he set out to do as President between 1999 and 2007.
Obasanjo said this in Lagos on Tuesday after delivering a lecture titled, ‘Leadership foundation and underpinning’ as the guest speaker at the forum of the Nigeria Leadership Initiative.

He said after observing that Nigeria was at the precipice and under heavy debt, he focused on holding the country together, securing debt relief and improving the image of the country.

When asked if he had regrets concerning his two cycles of political leadership of the country, Obasanjo said, “When I was military Head of State, my main concern was how do we forge a united country and a self reliant country? So, the constitution was very important. We established a constitution that helped us to achieve that.

“When I came back in 1999, some people came to me and said I will be the last president of Nigeria. There were different groups at that time; there were the Egbesu Boys, the OPC and the Arewa. Some people thought the centre would not hold together. The need then again was how do we hold the people together and how do we pay off our debts?”

He added, “Nigeria was a pariah state, which nobody wanted to touch. But by the time we left, Nigeria was the darling of the world. So (for that) I don’t think there was anything I wanted to achieve that I didn’t achieve.”

He however admitted that his administration did not succeed in fixing the power sector, but blamed it on paucity of funds.

“If I had had money, I would have started working on power earlier than we started. People have forgotten that when I came in, there was little funds to do much. But then we started the National Integrated Power Project and the oil companies that were supposed to assist us were not forthcoming. I think it was only Agip that built something,” he said.

To buttress the achievement of his administration, Obasanjo said when he became President in 1999, Nigeria’s reserve was $3.7bn and the country was spending $3bn every year to pay interest on debts.

“At the time we owed about $35bn. But by the time I left, our reserve was about $45bn. We had paid all our debts. Our debt sum, all that we owed was about $3bn. And we had about $35bn in what we call the excess crude account for a rainy day. And when we left they said the rain has come and cleared the account,” he said.

Obasanjo also stressed the need for training of leaders in Africa to effectively respond to the global challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-achieved-all-my-targets-as-president-obasanjo/

1 Like

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by slimdiggi: 1:15pm On Aug 29, 2012
And u r saying this becos? Blowing ur own trumpet...save it sir!
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by profola2be(m): 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2012
Na wa ooooooooo,OBJ
in nigeria,anything goes.
but,let's be sincere with ourselves,besides the issue of Power generation,EBORA OWU really tried,and hadly can you compare the performance of any democratically elected president to that of Baba OBJ,even in who is corruption most,he beats them all.
But in the case of corruption,it seems Jonathan's Administration is leading Obasanjo,in terms of who is corrupt most.
Again,we can argue that,Jonathan is a man with a good mind,but the people that sorrounds him are evil genius,including "MUMMY" PATIENCE.

7 Likes

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Tstark(m): 1:18pm On Aug 29, 2012
*waiting for the "price of gari" airheads to make their comments*
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by gbanikiti(m): 1:20pm On Aug 29, 2012
Baba iyabo can't stop amazing me! I dey laugh o! grin
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by plaetton: 1:21pm On Aug 29, 2012
Surely not the best human being, but remains The greatest leader Nigeria has ever had.

Surprisingly the most maligned and unappreciated leader in Nigerian history.

Nigeria is very strange country, where everything seems to run upside down.

We celebrate our fools and malign our heroes.

Obansanjo, you will always be a Nigerian Hero.

17 Likes

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by MMM2(m): 1:22pm On Aug 29, 2012
Where is d money undecided
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Duxe(f): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2012
@op..
Please u didnt have to add the picture! I have had enough scare 2 last me a week!

Between, i don't believe him. Let someone with a good reputation (like wole soyinka) support his claims,then i'l take him serious.

And when i believe finish, wetin go come happen kwa? How will the knowledge affect me positively?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by talktrue1(m): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2012
He is saying this because before GEJ will leave office, Nigeria will be in big debt

1 Like

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ebamma(m): 1:26pm On Aug 29, 2012
Obasanjo will you shut up and face your farm work in Ota,If Jonathan wasn't your protege,by now you could have been in jail for milking our treasury dry.

1 Like

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by mkmyers45(m): 1:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
Na the picture just dey make me laugh
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Benshekari(m): 1:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
Obj i blv u, but hw much ws in d account whn u left?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by hardywaltz(m): 1:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
Funny enough all he said are true. cry

5 Likes

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by dolandi: 1:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
the man speaks fact! undeniable facts!

6 Likes

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by princenino4u: 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ i think you are the worst human being i have seen in this world may GOD forgive u in what u put nigeria idiot like u
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
Lol at 'the rain has come and cleared everything'
my question is who is the 'rain'?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by drnoel: 1:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
ok but how come he didnt tell us how much of the national treasury that went in2 his pocket.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by YOUNGJOE1(m): 1:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
Nigeria was DEPT-FREE and also CASH-FREE when he left

2 Likes

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nightshift(m): 1:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
Seems to be an indictment of the current president . Mr President , what is Nigeria's present debt status, and where did all those money Obasanjo left go?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by DeGenius3(m): 1:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
plaetton: Surely not the best human being, but remains The greatest leader Nigeria has ever had.

Surprisingly the most maligned and unappreciated leader in Nigerian history.

Nigeria is very strange country, where everything seems to run upside down.

We celebrate our fools and malign our heroes.

Obansanjo, you will always be a Nigerian Hero.

as far as i'm concerned, Nigeria has never had just a half not even one great leader!

so please save your comment.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ariyebaba(m): 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ, I DEY KAMPE ! smileysmileysmileysmiley

GARRI+KULI-KULI PRICE DON REDUCE ? smileysmiley

TODAY,NIGERIA DEBT IS IN TRILLION NAIRA.

BABA GOD SAVE UR PEOPLE FROM MODERN DAY SLAVERY AND CYCLE OF POVERTY.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by profola2be(m): 1:36pm On Aug 29, 2012
De-Genius:

as far as i'm concerned, Nigeria has never had just a half not even one great leader!

so please save your comment.
we had one in the person of General Sani Abacha(RIP,the letter "P" has several meaning,just give it the word that suits you).
lol
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Abali1(m): 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
I think this guy is just trying to pass on a message, that by the time GEJ leaves office Nigeria will be back in debt.
Like him or hate him, the message is very clear.

1 Like

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by DeGenius3(m): 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ has been the president of Nigeria and not a leader!

do you know the qualities of a leader?

i don't think he even possess one!

and in fact, why will people invite him to even speak about leadership?

this country has over a trillion miles to go.

if at all any one will argue that OBJ possesses any quality of

leadership, then such person should ask why Bakassi Peninsula

was given FREE to Cameroon.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by princenino4u: 1:38pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ y cant u go to the zoo and see your brothers and disters there foolish man i remember when you said that nigeria will b better in d year 2010 if not the members of the houese you really want to be the last president of nigeria cus u want 3rd term GOD will surely expose u one dsy and u must surely confess wht u did yo nigeria b4u dia bastard
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by acidtalk: 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ is believe you 100%
Even though you are also a corrupt old man, Yaradua didn't say otherwise. They admitted we weren't in debt.

The only faults Yaradua saw in your government was the last minute increment in fuel price as well as illegal sale of some government properties. Aside that Yaradua just demanded you go far from his government so you won't infest him with your corrupt body, spirit and soul.

You caused the whole crap.
Didn't Nuru Ribadu bring out a N9billion Embezzlement against Jonathan while he was governor of Bayelsa? But you told him to shield it because you though winning the votes of the South-South and South-East people was paramount on imposing a candidate who you felt are loyal to you rather than putting the interest of Nigeria First.

When you tried to beat IBB, Abacha and Abdul Salam's Corruption record in 8years you spent in office, you have seen a criminal from the creeks that has beaten all of you's corruption record put together in barely 2years.

Na God go destroy all of una because you all (IBB, OBJ, Jonathan) are all the same irrespective of who accuses the other of being more corrupt.

1 Like

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by princenino4u: 1:40pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ y cant u go to the zoo and see your brothers and sisters there foolish man i remember when you said that nigeria will b better in d year 2010 if not the members of the house you really want to be the last president of nigeria cus u want 3rd term GOD will surely expose u one day and u must surely confess wht u did to nigeria b4 u dia bastard
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by dammytosh: 1:41pm On Aug 29, 2012
[size=13pt]Typical of Nigerians. Once you hate some one , you hate him 100% and once you love him you love him even when he awards 40km road contract to a lame company for 40Billion naira.

This man just brought up a fundamental issue with figures. Someone should prove him wrong or haters should bury their heads in shame.

If the headline was OBJ stole 35 Billion, i am sure we would have had several pages of curses even without anybody confirming it. Now that he said he left xyz amount in the treasury , you need proofs.

Sentimental mode of reasoning. undecided[/size]

13 Likes

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by crackhouse(m): 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
O.k oo, after the achievements wetin come happen? Instead they have succeded in taking the food from the common man's table. The last time i went to the market, i bought a cup of garri 30naira so how does it affect the common man?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ZeusI: 1:42pm On Aug 29, 2012
OBJ is my political mentor and the greatest politician Africa has produced. He is of yoruba tribe, and i, of Igbo tribe, but i love him as i do my tribesmen. In fact i doubt he is truely a yoruba man, everything about him is totally different from yoruba attitude.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by dammytosh: 1:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
acidtalk: OBJ is believe you 100%
Even though you are also a corrupt old man, Yaradua didn't say otherwise. They admitted we weren't in debt.

The only faults Yaradua saw in your government was the last minute increment in fuel price as well as illegal sale of some government properties. Aside that Yaradua just demanded you go far from his government so you won't infest him with your corrupt body, spirit and soul.

You caused the whole crap.
Didn't Nuru Ribadu bring out a N9billion Embezzlement against Jonathan while he was governor of Bayelsa? But you told him to shield it because you though winning the votes of the South-South and South-East people was paramount on imposing a candidate who you felt are loyal to you rather than putting the interest of Nigeria First.

When you tried to beat IBB, Abacha and Abdul Salam's Corruption record in 8years you spent in office, you have seen a criminal from the creeks that has beaten all of you's corruption record put together in barely 2years.

Na God go destroy all of una because you all (IBB, OBJ, Jonathan) are all the same irrespective of who accuses the other of being more corrupt.

Fear God when you accuse people. Yaradua and Jonathan were given a clean bill of health as far as corruption was concerned. Do you have any reasonable proof against Obasanjo apart from the campaign of calumny to scuttle his ill advised presidential ambition ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What Buhari Has Done To Me; Now I Can't Feed (pics) / 40 Die In Rumuolumeni River Boat Mishap In Rivers State / Jonathan Must Come To NASS, Reps Insist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.