Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,396 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 (10045 Views)

Nigeria No More Debt Free: Federal Debt Up By $18bn Under 4 Years- Daily Trust / OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007. / OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt Free When I Left Office In 2007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by funkei: 11:00pm On Aug 29, 2012
plaetton:

In the land of the blind , the one-eyed man is king.

Given the dearth of good, sincere and committed leadership that Nigeria has had since independence, OBJ is simply the best amongs the worst that we have ever had.
That is my point. if you wish to disprove this, kindly prove to us , who among our list of presidents and heads of state was better or showed greater committment tot he Nigeria project of nationhood.

If we look at the projects Obj wasted money on, he has no place in the good books of History. 3rd term project, National ID Card, Census, Oputa panel, Worst elections(None in 2007) in History,Sold all Govt. Assets, No single Fed road constructed or rehabilitated against the billions removed from fed purse, pls were are his legacies? Abj National stadium, debts paid at a price. No Nig Govt got the revenue Obj got from the high oil prices and the national assets sold or GSM license and all the recovered loots. Lets be analytical, Even IBB has more legacies than OBj. Pls Obj should feel ashamed that his kinsmen do not have anything to show for 8yrs. Abeokuta Rd bad either from Ota or Ibadan express end. Go to Minna, they are proud of IBB, Go to Bayelsa they now have a Fed Uni and Law School. Let us look for Obj legacies anywhere, then we can commend him
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Damon03(m): 12:02am On Aug 30, 2012
ikaleguy: OBJ why do you always hand over to very inefficent
successors? A good leader is someone that finds a very successor.

The two times you have handed over power,Nigeria ended up being worse off.I think you always
do that intentionally so you can open your mouth to say your time was far better.

You are a very BAD leader!!
Sorry dude he cant hear u... justsaying
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 3:38am On Aug 30, 2012
[size=21pt]So all those IMF loans he took out was not a debt?

Only in gullible Nigeria can this criminal foolish kleptomaniacal looter, have the audacity to show his face in public without being arrested angry[/size]
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 3:51am On Aug 30, 2012
[size=18pt]18th March 1999 - BBC News
IMF Director in Nigeria at invitation of Obasanjo's incoming government [/size]

The managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Michel Camdessus, has said Nigeria can expect the strongest possible support from the fund as it moves towards civilian rule.

Mr Camdessus, who arrived in Nigeria on Wednesday, said the IMF would be delighted to assist in what he called a Nigerian renaissance.

The Nigerian Finance Minister, Ismaila Usman, appealed to Mr Camdessus to provide assistance to reduce the country's thirty-billion-dollar debt burden.

Nigeria's civilian president, Olusegun Obasanjo, is due to assume power in May, ending fifteen years of military rule.

But correspondents say Nigeria is facing its worst economic crisis in decades, made worse by falling oil prices. During his three-day visit, Mr Camdessus will meet the President-elect and the outgoing military ruler, Abdulsalam Abubakar.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/8#9118999

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 30, 2012
[size=18pt]4th May 1999 - BBC News
Obasanjo considers UK demands for installation of IMF monitoring team in Nigeria's Central Bank and Finance Ministry as pre-condition of loan[/size]

The UK is insisting on the permanent installation of IMF monitors in the Nigerian central bank and finance ministry as a pre-condition for the resumption of loans and debt relief.
Chancellor Gordon Brown has written to Nigerian finance minister Ismaila Usman setting out the terms for British support for a new loan to Nigeria from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).

As world oil prices are rising, the state can hope for more revenues
He says the UK will support Nigeria's case for rescheduling its $29bn (£18bn) in external debt, most of it owed to governments, but only if the monitors go in.

"We believe it is important that you request a permanent IMF monitoring mission to be established at the Nigerian central bank and finance ministry," Mr Brown wrote in his letter.

Britain also wants an independent audit of the state oil company and the central bank to ensure that they are free of corruption.

Fears of corruption
Nigeria returns to civilian rule later this month, when Olusegun Obasanjo's administration takes power.

Nigeria's economy is held down by all-pervasive corruption
But the international organisations are concerned that the endemic corruption in Nigeria is continuing, with some reports suggesting that Nigerian ministries plan to spend an additional £400m (60bn naira) in the last month of military rule.

Nigeria's economy has been devastated by the fall in oil prices, the country's most important export.
The government was forced to double petrol prices to pay for the shortfall in its budget estimates.

It also failed to meet many of the terms agreed with the IMF in January as a pre-condition for the loan, the first in 10 years.
The new government also accused the Abacha military regime of plundering $2bn from the country's coffers.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/8#9139250

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 4:05am On Aug 30, 2012
[size=20pt]3rd February 2000 - BBC News
'Obasanjo's government is the worst Nigeria has ever produced, his spending of money without National Assembly approval is Criminal' - Senator Joseph Waku[/size]

The magazine Tell, quoted Senator Joseph Kennedy Waku as saying that President Olusegun Obasanjo's government was the worst Nigeria had ever produced.

The senator is quoted as saying that the way President Obasanjo has been spending money without the National Assembly's approval, is criminal.

According to the magazine, the senator said that if the government behave like a dictatorial regime it would be better for what he calls the professional coupists to take over.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/10

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by koman: 6:50am On Aug 30, 2012
OBJ is the WASH of the decade.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 30, 2012
[size=28pt]So this Genocidal, Foolish Kelptomaniacal Looter known as Obasanjo does not consider he left any debts after he mortgaged Nigeria's future with billions of dollars of IMF loans??[/size]

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by demmie1: 11:42am On Aug 30, 2012
God punish obj.
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2012
Like it or not, OBJ is the best President Nigeria has ever had so far...stubborn old Cow
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by currency10(m): 3:51pm On Aug 30, 2012
princenino4u: OBJ i think you are the worst human being i have seen in this world may GOD for
give u in what u put nigeria idiot like u

Keep quiet jo! Can you compared the past administration wit these present one were d economy is not stable were there is not sicurity were cruption is hiting up every were our currency is depreciating even now they want to devalue d # naira by trying to introducing #5000 note.
God will come to nig aid
I pray one day
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by habibabubakar(m): 10:41am On Aug 31, 2012
thief!
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ayobase(m): 10:57am On Aug 31, 2012
De-Genius:

as far as i'm concerned, Nigeria has never had just a half not even one great leader!

so please save your comment.

A blind man being the leader in the country of the blind is likened to the case of Obasanjo's and others!
Obasanjo remains the best we ever had, but our DESIRED best for that matter.
Abacha was good also, but illiteracy was his problem!
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ayobase(m): 11:03am On Aug 31, 2012
De-Genius:
OBJ has been the president of Nigeria and not a leader!

do you know the qualities of a leader?

i don't think he even possess one!

and in fact, why will people invite him to even speak about leadership?

this country has over a trillion miles to go.

if at all any one will argue that OBJ possesses any quality of

leadership, then such person should ask why Bakassi Peninsula

was given FREE to Cameroon.

Tell me, what should he have done over that matter....gone to war?
This same man threatened the Harams of Boko that are operating freely today.....Im sure his good works overshadowed the negatives!
Nobody says he is/was perfect....just tell me why u hate the man so much....did he snatch ur wife?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ayobase(m): 11:07am On Aug 31, 2012
Zeus I: OBJ is my political mentor and the greatest politician Africa has produced. He is of yoruba tribe, and i, of Igbo tribe, but i love him as i do my tribesmen. In fact i doubt he is truely a yoruba man, everything about him is totally different from yoruba attitude.

Mr. Man, what is un-yoruba abt Obj?
Be warned o!
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by ayobase(m): 11:17am On Aug 31, 2012
acidtalk:

SHUT THE Fu*CK Up!!!
What do you know? How old are you by the way?

Nuhu Ribadu CANNOT come out and swear with his gay partner (Atiku) that Jonathan wasn't Embroiled in a N9billion embezzlement charges. It wasn't even just Jonathan, even his wife also.

You better keep mute if you don't have facts.

This is an open forum so I can't say much. Even Yaradua was Reluctant to make Jonathan his running mate because of the corruption charges the Bayelsians and ijaws brought against him.

If you had follow Nigerian polictics, you should realize how much the bayelsans HATED jonathan.

Or why do you think he is using OUR MONEY to try and buy friendhip with the ijaw youths and militants? Do you know what the very same ASARI DOKUBO, TOMPOLO and BOYLOAF called jonathan 5years ago and what they even told Yaradua about Jonathan? Omo make una dey follow History abeg.

This people keep playing on you people's ignorance.
You also need to see America's Government report and wikileaks files about jonathan as a governor (not even president).

And this ranting is to to debase Obj aight?.....So, u never knew that politics is a dirty job...Obj heroically played it maturely.... Stop telling pple to STFU...and AGE is not a criterion for ur info, but MATURITY of the mind!
Go sit down jor....I could respect ur opinions on other topics, but this.....its obvious u HATE the man.....e snatch ur wife?
Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=38pt]Obasanjo wrecked Nigeria !! angry[/size]

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]26 January 2000 - BBC News
Obasanjo's Shame: Anger as Nigerian power cuts increases[/size]

There've been angry scenes in Nigeria in the past few days as power cuts have interrupted fans' enjoyment of African Cup of Nations football matches.

Last night, the match between Morocco and Congo was disrupted by a fifteen-minute blackout at the stadium in Lagos.

Fans sang songs mocking the national electricity power authority over how frequently power failures take place.

And on Sunday in the central city of Jos, police used teargas after a crowd set fire to the offices of the electricity authority.

They were angered when a power cut stopped them watching Nigeria's opening game on television.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/10

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]13 September, 2000 - BBC News
Nigeria ranked most corrupt country in the world; last year before Obasanjo took office, Nigeria was only 27th most corrupt[/size]
Nigeria has been ranked as the most corrupt country in the world.
An annual survey carried out by the Berlin-based Transparency International (TI) also grouped Angola, Cameroon, Kenya and Mozambique among the top 10 most corrupt.

The damning report was released as the Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo made an official visit to Britain pressing for reduction of the country's huge debts.

The world's Cleanest
Finland
Denmark
New Zealand
Sweden
Canada
Other countries in the most corrupt list were Yugoslavia, Ukraine, Indonesia, Russia and Azerbaijan.

Corruption cases
Last year Nigeria was rated as the 27th most corrupt country in the world.
But an investigation report released in July this year revealed massive misappropriation of of public money by members of the national assembly.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/11

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]27 February, 2001 - BBC News
Obasanjo determined to end fuel subsidies; says that fuel is too cheap and that most Nigerians do not need fuel subsidies[/size]

The Nigerian Government is determined to remove subsidies on petroleum products as part of reforms of the energy sector, President Olusegun Obasanjo has said.
In a live televised discussion programme, he said that the present subsidy "does not make sense" as it failed to benefit the majority of Nigerians.

He said the government would instead subsidise education, health and water services.
Labour organisations have threatened to strike if the government goes ahead with the deregulation plans it announced last week, which would see oil refineries in Nigeria pay international market prices for crude oil.

Nigeria suffers persistent fuel shortages despite being the world's fourth largest oil producer.

"In this country, the price of coca cola is higher than the price of petrol. The subsidy, if removed, will be available to do other things," he said.

He also condemned the widespread smuggling of petroleum products to neighbouring countries, where they are sold at prices up to three times higher.

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]7 June, 2001 - BBC News
Obasanjo's shame: 13 States including entire Eastern Nigeria in darkness as power cut is expected to last two weeks[/size]

The Nigerian Electricity Power Authority (Nepa) says 13 states, including the entire eastern part of the country, may be without electricity for two weeks after what it calls an attack by vandals on a vital transmission line.

Tens of millions of people in eastern Nigeria have been without electricity since Monday night.

Nigeria's Government has struggled to improve the country's notoriously inefficient electricity network since coming to power two years ago.

Nigerians are well accustomed to power cuts but rarely on such a devastating scale.

The huge area affected by this latest blackout includes some of Nigeria's largest and economically most important cities.

Struggling industries and public services, as well as private households, are already experiencing enormous inconvenience and discomfort.

Sabotage

A Nepa official told the BBC that a tower on a vital power line serving the east had been attacked by vandals and that it may take two weeks to repair.

Power lines in Nigeria are often sabotaged by gangs working for scrap metal traders, although in this instance one Nepa official is quoted as saying that no pieces had been removed from the damaged tower.
Last year an angry President Olusegun Obasanjo took direct charge of Nepa, accusing it of notorious and endemic corruption.

President Obasanjo has pledged to to increase output to a constant 4,000 megawatts by the end of this year.

But even if Nigeria attains this target, it will be producing one-tenth as much electricity as South Africa, with about three times the population.

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]24 August, 2001 - BBC News
Obasanjo gets support from World Bank, to continue to sell off Nigeria's National Assets[/size]

The World Bank has agreed credit worth $300m to help Nigeria speed up its privatisation programme and efforts to fight HIV and Aids.

The agreement was signed in the capital Abuja by the visiting vice-president of the International Finance Corporation, Peter Woicke and the Nigerian finance minister, Adamu Ciroma.

Correspondents say the decision by the World Bank signals belief in Nigeria's argument that it needs more money to fund the programmes.

Nigeria's telecommunications and electricity sectors are the flagship institutions earmarked for privatisation, but the reforms have been delayed due to lack of adequate preparations.

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:26pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]11th February 2002, BBC News
Obasanjo has devalued Naira by approx 450% (four hundred and fifty percent) since coming to office and further devaluation is expected[/size]

The Nigerian naira fell on the official currency market, following a slide on the black market on Friday on fears that a devaluation is imminent.
The currency fell 0.6% to 114.7 against the US dollar after dropping 2.5% on the black market on Friday.

A spokesman for the central bank attributed the currency's plunge to calls from parliament for a massive devaluation to narrow the gap between official and black market rates.

With some parliamentarians saying the rate should be as low as 127 naira to the US dollar, demand for foreign currency has soared.

[size=18pt]21st February 2002 - BBC News
Obasanjo accused of ordering closure of Savannah Bank to embezzle its money.[/size]

The board of one of Nigeria's biggest bank, which was closed down on Monday, has been accused of mismanagement by its auditor.
"The central bank gave the management and board several warnings on the ways they run the bank, but all our warnings had been disregarded," NDIC receivership and liquidation director Mohammed Ahmad told Reuters.

The Central Bank of Nigeria revoked Savannah Bank's trading licence claiming it was insolvent and put the directors under investigation.

Liquidation is a regulatory option to solve a bank's problems, but there are procedures that are supposed to be adhered to before going to that final stage

Stanley Ngwaba
Treasurer, Savannah Bank

"I think the writing was on the wall," Busola Solanke, head of research at SecTrust in Nigeria told the BBC's World Business Report.
"The operating performance of Savannah Bank over the last few years would have sent a red signal."

The bank's management has responded by accusing the central bank of trying to protect top government officials who had debts with the bank.

No instability

The closure of Savannah, one of the top ten banks in Nigeria, comes after months of denials by authorities that Nigeria's banking sector was under strain.

But analysts say it is unlikely to destabilise the banking sector.

"The impact is not going to be as severe as its size suggests," said Ms Solanke.

"Savannah has quite a huge asset base and the regulators might have felt it was the best time to intervene before there was any more damage."

A sign on the door of its Lagos headquarters assures account holders they will not lose their money and refers them to the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), which has been appointed by the central bank as liquidator.

Conflicting reports

Savannah's Treasurer, Stanley Ngwaba claims he had no indication from the central bank about the closure.

"Liquidation is a regulatory option to solve a bank's problems, but there are procedures that are supposed to be adhered to before going to that final stage," he told Reuters.

Nigerian officials denied claims they failed to warn the management before closing the bank.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/12

Re: OBJ - Nigeria Was Debt-free When I Left In 2007 by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
[size=18pt]22nd May 2003 - BBC News
Bank fraud rises by 40% as President Obasanjo commences his second term[/size]

Nigeria's banks have seen almost $10m disappear through employee fraud in 2002, a rise of more than 40% on the year before, a survey by the country's banking regulator has found.
The total amount stolen was 1.29bn naira, up from 906.3m in 2001, the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation reported.

Ten times that amount - 12.91bn naira - was recorded in attempted fraud, up from 11.24bn for a rise of 15%.

Most of the thefts, NDIC said, were the result of either forgeries or illegal withdrawals from customers' accounts.

The figures may well be an understatement, though, as NDIC said it believes financial institutions routinely underreport fraud losses for fear of negative publicity.

Bad name

Fraud and corruption have become an unfortunate staple in Nigeria's international reputation.

The country regularly features at the top of international surveys measuring the part played by graft in different economies.

Successive dictatorships have extracted billions from the exchequer, denuding the public purse of revenues from Nigeria's rich oil reserves.

Outside the country, Nigeria has become synonymous with fraud as some of its citizens use the boom in internet cafes to send "spam" e-mails, promising millions in exchange for the gullible recipient's bank details.

https://www.nairaland.com/693700/gov-akume-survives-political-assassination/14

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alaafin Turns Down Akala Request For Courtesy Visit. / Made In Ghana Cars Goes International - Live On Aljazeera / Terrorists Hide Bombs Among Vegetables Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.