Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? (22631 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 2:50pm On Aug 29, 2012
I am wondering what the average life span of a car could be. From articles I have read on the internet, the average life of a car is put at around 15years or 200,000miles having considered adequate servicing. Although I have seen cars that have lasted longer than 30years in Nigeria but this usually comes at a very high price if you consider the economic factors.

So if the average life-span of a car is put at around 15years and we've got most cars coming into the country well over 15years, are we saying that the cars we buy from abroad are scraps? Btw most cars I see at junk/scrap yards (from documentaries only) in developed countries can still qualify as a 'neat' car in Nigeria.

So peeps, what do you think should be the average life span of an 'average' car. I used the word, 'average' because some cars are considered as CLASSICS.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 4:29pm On Aug 29, 2012
How come no one has said anything? Whatever is said/discussed here might go a long way in helping a prospective car owner.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 2:26pm On Aug 31, 2012
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by hymadon: 8:57pm On Aug 31, 2012
Endlessly, as long as d vehicle is pertime diagnose and maintained properly Or @list 30yrs to start with. wink
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 5:46am On Sep 01, 2012
I have a 1967 car here and my older Brother has a 1929 car.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 6:11am On Sep 01, 2012
Somorin#1:

Those cars must be classics. What treasure you both have. But really, do you think any of the average modern cars can last that long?
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by baaliyah(m): 7:19am On Sep 01, 2012
25 years, if well maintained (for European, Japanese and US cars)
6 years for well maintained Chinese cars.

I do see some early and mid 80s cars around and they still look good for Nigeria standard.

The first set of Chinese cars in Nigeria were sold in 2007, not more than 10% of them are still functional.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Lexusgs430: 8:22am On Sep 01, 2012
A car can last for as long as the owner wants it to. Adequate servicing and part replacements as @ when due, will increase the longevity of your car.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 01, 2012
Lexusgs430: A car can last for as long as the owner wants it to. Adequate servicing and part replacements as @ when due, will increase the longevity of your car.

The correct answer.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 9:53am On Sep 01, 2012
Lexusgs430: A car can last for as long as the owner wants it to. Adequate servicing and part replacements as @ when due, will increase the longevity of your car.

Hmmm, I quite agree but what happens when the serviceable parts of such cars are no longer in production? How do you keep such cars running?
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:58am On Sep 01, 2012
The lifespan of a car is determined by the maintanance of the car..

I forone only buy brand new vehicles and sell them off after 60,000Km or 4years (whichever comes first)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Areaboy2(m): 10:11am On Sep 01, 2012
Somorin#1:

I think he means an everyday car, not a priced jewel under lock n keys lol.

@ post, if well maintained and serviced regularly, a car can easily hit 250,000miles

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 01, 2012
Area_boy:

@ post, if well maintained and serviced regularly, a car can easily hit 250,000miles

My old 1995 Audi Coupe S2 was at 543,000 miles when I sold her in 2006. She's still going strong, I get to service her once a year for the current owner, and she's now at 602,000 miles.

Proof that with adequate maintenance and care, a car will pretty much go on forever.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Ikenna351(m): 10:26am On Sep 01, 2012
Area_boy:

250k miles? You must be kidding me!

I know of a Toyota Camry V6 that has exceeded 1 million miles, still on the original engine. Doubt me? I will prove it.

Vehicles are designed to last as long as the owners want. How to make that happen depends on the owner's maintenance culture and manner of usage.

Ikenna

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Areaboy2(m): 10:34am On Sep 01, 2012
yea, but 1million miles is a bit too much. prolly like 10% of well maintained cars can cover that much distance.

Anyway, like I said "easily". So surely can run more than that.

I am very impressed though at that million mile mark and that 600k miles by siena.

Hope dey lol

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 01, 2012
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by gasbi: 10:46am On Sep 01, 2012
omodapson:

Hmmm, I quite agree but what happens when the serviceable parts of such cars are no longer in production? How do you keep such cars running?
mechanics-will-always-construct-something-for-you.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 10:51am On Sep 01, 2012
Siena:

My old 1995 Audi Coupe S2 was at 543,000 miles when I sold her in 2006. She's still going strong, I get to service her once a year for the current owner, and she's now at 602,000 miles.

Proof that with adequate maintenance and care, a car will pretty much go on forever.

Wow! Impressive. 602k miles? But surely not on nigerian roads.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 10:53am On Sep 01, 2012
Ikenna351:

250k miles? You must be kidding me!

I know of a Toyota Camry V6 that has exceeded 1 million miles, still on the original engine. Doubt me? I will prove it.

Vehicles are designed to last as long as the owners want. How to make that happen depends on the owner's maintenance culture and manner of usage.

Ikenna

Pls, what's d year of production of this super camry?
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Tadup: 10:58am On Sep 01, 2012
omodapson:

you can order for the part online!
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 01, 2012
Somorin#1:
You should be like 200 years old. Hahahahaha cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Ikenna351(m): 11:18am On Sep 01, 2012
omodapson:

Pls, what's d year of production of this super camry?

2005 model (aka big for nothing).'

Proof? http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/2005/

Ikenna

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 01, 2012
For one to run a car above 500, 000 miles in 11 years, you must travel a lot. I have run my car for only 60,000 miles in 3 years yet I drive everyday.

I will say that with good maintenance, you will enjoy a brand new car for the first 10 years of its life. I hate visiting mechanics because it drains time.

Chikeena.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 11:25am On Sep 01, 2012
Tadup: you can order for the part online!

How do you order a part that is not available?
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by omodapson(m): 11:37am On Sep 01, 2012
Ikenna351:

2005 model (aka big for nothing).'

Prove? http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/2005/

Ikenna

That car deserves a special endurance award from Toyota!
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by abbeycial: 11:46am On Sep 01, 2012
[quote author=omodapson]

That car deserves a special endurance award from Toyota! seconded
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by adubiay: 11:46am On Sep 01, 2012
okpara ugo: For one to run a car above 500, 000 miles in 11 years, you must travel a lot. I have run my car for only 60,000 miles in 3 years yet I drive everyday.

I will say that with good maintenance, you will enjoy a brand new car for the first 10 years of its life. I hate visiting mechanics because it drains time.

Chikeena.

whats your car brand and year
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by BOUNTYDOG(m): 1:02pm On Sep 01, 2012
mercedes car can go on forever & the parts are always available no matter how old.I ave seen old men park dem for yrs & come back to them & they are working after a hard start though.But @ poster I understand you.we buy cars that have already exceeded the average lifespan mostly in nigeria & start to maintain grin
The truth is such cars cannot be guaranteed by the manufacturers anymore, But Adamu just buy clean tokunboh honda halla & omo Igbo must shop with spare parts,jelili sef must mecvhanise na
In developed countries duties & levis placed on older cars is higher than newer ones but here the reverse is the case.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by dinoescobar(m): 1:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
Siena:

The correct answer.

Well said, I drive a 1984 Toyota Corolla, bought it in 1996 and still crusin dis baby, may dis year made her 16 yrs, I call her D white dove, served me very well and I love-vendor her up every 2yr. Proper and timely mAintainance is d key.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
Area_boy:

Why Lol?

My 1967 is my daily driver both in Texas and in California. The 1929 , while not a daily driver is driven regularly.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by sultaan(m): 2:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
Somorin#1:

Why Lol?

My 1967 is my daily driver both in Texas and in California. The 1929 , while not a daily driver is driven regularly.

The '67 Impala? Or Mustang

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Relate Your Bad Experience Of Buying A Bad Car Without Proper Inspection. / How To Use The Recirculate Button In Your Vehicle / The Rate At Which Fuel Burn So Fast Right Now Scares Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.