Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,510 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? (22650 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / The Average Lifetime Of A Tire Is 4 Years / How Much Do You Spend On Your Car Monthly On The Average? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 01, 2012
dino escobar:

Well said, I drive a 1984 Toyota Corolla, bought it in 1996 and still crusin dis baby, may dis year made her 16 yrs, I call her D white dove, served me very well and I love-vendor her up every 2yr. Proper and timely mAintainance is d key.

That is the key to longevity. This maintenance culture is sorely lacking and why this thread will even be of usefulness.

The newest car on my fleet is a 98 E38, I also have a 92 W201.

In August I changed the brake pad (ceramic), brake disc (drilled and slotted), wheel bearings on the front wheel, so that system is ready for another 75-100kmi.

On the W201 I just replaced the serpentine belt, belt tensioner, belt shock absorber and fan clutch, again that belt system is good for another 50-75kmi.

Cars can last for as long as you do regular maintenance something that is mostly unheard of in Nigeria. I have a friend with a Ford model T and we can still get any part we wanted.

I do all my own work on my cars, I am not a mechanic (I'm an IT Manager) and it's just a hobby.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 01, 2012
sultaan:

The '67 Impala? Or Mustang

I don't really care for American cars though I've owned a Trans Am.

My 67s are Austin Minis, a sedan and a Moke and Mercedes Benz. Here's a picture of the 67 Benz

My older Brother is a Ford fanatic, here are some of his collection (about 20 of them)

On a drive with the 67 Mustang

Anyways I hope that I've been able to demonstrate that cars can last forever with proper care and devotion.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Lexusgs430: 4:00pm On Sep 01, 2012
omodapson:

Hmmm, I quite agree but what happens when the serviceable parts of such cars are no longer in production? How do you keep such cars running?

There are always patent parts, breakers yards, buying another car solely has a donor car etc etc etc
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by ubandire(m): 4:24pm On Sep 01, 2012
omodapson: I am wondering what the average life span of a car could be. From articles I have read on the internet, the average life of a car is put at around 15years or 200,000miles having considered adequate servicing. Although I have seen cars that have lasted longer than 30years in Nigeria but this usually comes at a very high price if you consider the economic factors.

So if the average life-span of a car is put at around 15years and we've got most cars coming into the country well over 15years, are we saying that the cars we buy from abroad are scraps? Btw most cars I see at junk/scrap yards (from documentaries only) in developed countries can still qualify as a 'neat' car in Nigeria.

So peeps, what do you think should be the average life span of an 'average' car. I used the word, 'average' because some cars are considered as CLASSICS.
It depends on your maintenance culture
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 01, 2012
Somorin#1:
I have a 1967 car here and my older Brother has a 1929 car.
Wanna sell? Am serious
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by mu2sa2: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
U can drive a car for as long as u want. I saw a very neat Mercedes coupe sport in south Africa in 2007 and d owner said its 1971 (yes,1971)edition. D bottom line is maintenance.I bought my car 8 years ago with d mileometre reading 308,000 and i am still using d car, a 1997 mazda 626 - just done the engine for d second time. D car is still neat & superbly reliable with xcellent fuel economy; i can drive it anywhere.I cant imagine myself selling d car - that will amount to betrayal, because d car has never let me down; if am tired with it i will probably giv it to somebody or keep it as a trophy.In Cuba there are 1940s cars on the road.To me a car has no life span, because when u change a part u ar actually renewing d car and having changed so many things in d car u ar actually not driving d car u bought so many years ago. Mark u 40 year old airplanes ar still flying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 01, 2012
mu2sa2: U can drive a car for as long as u want. I saw a very neat Mercedes coupe sport in south Africa in 2007 and d owner said its 1971 (yes,1971)edition. D bottom line is maintenance.I bought my car 8 years ago with d mileometre reading 308,000 and i am still using d car, a 1997 mazda 626 - just done the engine for d second time. D car is still neat & superbly reliable with xcellent fuel economy; i can drive it anywhere.I cant imagine myself selling d car - that will amount to betrayal, because d car has never let me down; if am tired with it i will probably giv it to somebody or keep it as a trophy.In Cuba there are 1940s cars on the road.To me a car has no life span, because when u change a part u ar actually renewing d car and having changed so many things in d car u ar actually not driving d car u bought so many years ago. Mark u 40 year old airplanes ar still flying.

Never a truer statement was made. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by ndigbo: 8:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
Lexusgs430: A car can last for as long as the owner wants it to. Adequate servicing and part replacements as @ when due, will increase the longevity of your car.

very true
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by bunmixtra(f): 8:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
I feel a car do not have a life span. as far as constant servicing is applied d machine can move on n on....cars r like wines...d older d more classic it becomes.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by adyby(m): 10:53pm On Sep 01, 2012
I think the only factor that could actually shorten the life of a car is rust. That I think is very difficult to manage.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 01, 2012
adyby: I think the only factor that could actually shorten the life of a car is rust. That I think is very difficult to manage.

A well looked-after car should be fine, most modern cars are made of better quality steel, and others are also galvanised. An older car will only succomb to the Red Terror if it's not cleaned regularly, mud is left to accumulate in the wheel arches and underbody, thus retaining moisture, scratches, chipped paint are left untreated etc.

Car's don't just vaporise in a cloud of rust, neglect is the determining factor as to how much of the car's left after 10 years of use.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Trac: 5:35am On Sep 02, 2012
Somorin#1:

That is the key to longevity. This maintenance culture is sorely lacking and why this thread will even be of usefulness.

The newest car on my fleet is a 98 E38, I also have a 92 W201.

In August I changed the brake pad (ceramic), brake disc (drilled and slotted), wheel bearings on the front wheel, so that system is ready for another 75-100kmi.

I couldn't help but comment (as it is a concern for safety): your cross and slotted rotors in combination will not last for 75,000 miles or kilometres. You periodically have to take the tyres out and inspect for cracks around the slots to avoid disc fracture. The rotor image you posted appears to be a standard rotor that was drilled and milled.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Lexusgs430: 8:47am On Sep 02, 2012
adyby: I think the only factor that could actually shorten the life of a car is rust. That I think is very difficult to manage.

Rusted panels can be replaced.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by olumidazz: 10:30am On Sep 02, 2012
I bought my own car in 2007 at 28,000 miles after doing the necessary vin checks, today at 51,000 miles, the car is my pride, no visits to mechanics, no electrical problems no problem whatsoever, recently am realising the car is even more beautiful than when I first acquired it in 2007.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Exponental(m): 3:38pm On Sep 02, 2012
All depends on usage and maintenance.

Do not expect d official car of an operations manager of a bank to have same salvage value like dat of d marketer of d same bank assuming both cars where issued same time.
"usage" is d main factor here.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 02, 2012
Trac:

I couldn't help but comment (as it is a concern for safety): your cross and slotted rotors in combination will not last for 75,000 miles or kilometres. You periodically have to take the tyres out and inspect for cracks around the slots to avoid disc fracture. The rotor image you posted appears to be a standard rotor that was drilled and milled.

This is old Wives tale (cracking and disc fracture). We have the same set on the E36 race car that sees much more abuse than this E38 will ever see and it has been fine.

My rotors will be fine and there's no safety concern here. Have you personally had a set of rotors that cracked on any of your cars? I am looking for you own "personal" experience and not some web blog.

On my cars I rotate my tires at every other oil change (the synthetics @ every 10kmi and the dinos @ 5kmi), during that service I check not just my braking system but my suspension system too and underneath the car. It's just part of my maintenance culture.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by adefash(m): 8:38am On Sep 03, 2012
gasbi: mechanics-will-always-construct-something-for-you.
guy u are rite.9ja mechanics will surely construct something for u or get parts from one jalopy somewhere.u will be suprised that parts from keke napepe will fit into some parts of ur car that even the manufacturers never tot will work.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by LasBonBoi: 3:58pm On Sep 03, 2012
Ikenna351:

2005 model (aka big for nothing).'

Prove? http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/2005/

Ikenna

You wanted to say 1 million Km I guess, not 1 million miles.
How much confidence should we have in info picked up from internet pages? Especially when they can be written by random people.
It may be true or false but it's very doubtful for a 2005 car to clock about 770,000 miles in 2011
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Ikenna351(m): 4:56pm On Sep 03, 2012
LasBonBoi:

You wanted to say 1 million Km I guess, not 1 million miles.
How much confidence should we have in info picked up from internet pages? Especially when they can be written by random people.
It may be true or false but it's very doubtful for a 2005 car to clock about 770,000 miles in 2011

Oh! Sorry, its km, not miles. Thanks for the correction.

I still dont understand why you doubt the possibility of a 2005 car reaching 1m+ km in 2011 (6 years). For me, its very much possible. Now read what he said

"...It basically runs 24-7 with 3 drivers, and it still has the original engine and transmission (no rebuilds) even after 1,239,00 km as a cab..."

Nigerians still fail to understand that the longer your engine remains hot, the longer the life span of the engine. Thats why cars that do frequent long distance would always have a longer engine lifespan, while cars that run constantly in the city will have a shorter life span (unless the engine remains on and hot the whole day).

Engines hate to run cold. Thats why engines dont last in Nigeria, because of this abuse of removing thermostat and connecting the radiator cooling fan(s) to run constantly on, which makes the engine to always run cold.

Am not a Toyota or Asian car fan. Check my profile. My point here is to make you understand how durable a v6 engine can be, when properlly maintained and properly utilzed (taken for a long distance often), not minding the bad name Nigerians give v6 engines. Any good designed engine can get up to and beyond 1 million km. Its left for the owner to make it a reality.

Ikenna.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 4:39am On Sep 05, 2012
Ikenna351:

Nigerians still fail no understand that the longer your engine remains hot, the longer the life span of the engine. Thats why cars that do frequent long distance would always have a longer engine lifespan, while cars that run constantly in the city will have a shorter life span (unless the engine remains on and hot the whole day).

Ikenna.

Equally worse is the revving up or warming up of cars in the morning.

Once the engine catches, one should drive away but without stressing the engine until it's fully warmed up.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Trac: 8:10am On Sep 05, 2012
Somorin#1:

This is old Wives tale (cracking and disc fracture). We have the same set on the E36 race car that sees much more abuse than this E38 will ever see and it has been fine.

My rotors will be fine and there's no safety concern here. Have you personally had a set of rotors that cracked on any of your cars? I am looking for you own "personal" experience and not some web blog.

On my cars I rotate my tires at every other oil change (the synthetics @ every 10kmi and the dinos @ 5kmi), during that service I check not just my braking system but my suspension system too and underneath the car. It's just part of my maintenance culture.

Old wives tale indeed. Give scientific explanations and not what your opinions are. So far, what you've said doesn't hold up laws of physics/mechanics and the principles of materials and fatigue cycle.

This will be kept simple and relatively short and start from the obvious.

When "whatever" is used to tap the disc, the region of contact is fatigued. What fatigue? Fretting fatigue! This is the damage that occurs where tangential motion (in this case, whatever the tapping tool is) and the other body of contact are under compressive load: in this situation, one of the components must be subjected to bulk loading (the rotor). The result thereafter is potential tangential cracks or cracks at the areas of contact. One single crack initiation is enough to render the whole thing useless. The discs might survive the torment at this point but has been compromised.

At this point, you should be concerned about fatigue which is the process where repeated loading cause failure even when the norminal stresses are below the material yield strength. For the character and nature of use of the brakes [all kinds of braking plus antilocks (motion of the rotor is a combination of rotation and translation)], "galling" can occur later during its lifecycle. In other words, it lacks the strength of material to do the appropriate job for the entire duration it is suppose to.

If there are cracks already established, they may not be on the surface and if they are, you will not be able to see them visually except the damage has progressively worsened. It'll be worse when it is in the material compound. For the surface inspection, you will need a dye-penetrant with a black light. If it is sub-surface, you will need to do a radiographic or ultrasonic testing. You are to repeat such "quality control" at periodic intervals when used in a passenger vehicle. It is just a bad product design. Other areas of concern is heat and energy translation at every of those cross-drilled contact.

To reflect on the product you displayed, visually it doesn't look right. It is also a disc that will rust. It appears as though an ordinary rotor was taken and then cross-drilling and slotting was done. A proper design and build will be cast and not drilled. This way, there is absolutely no high-cycle-fatigue in any point of the material and durability is assured for the entire duration of the lifecycle of the brake rotor. This is justification for the high price mark on it.

To answer your question, I have in one of my cars full sport rotors with no structural compromises and it is not cross-drilled. It's been 4 years and not up to 20,000 and the only complaint I have is that the outer sidewalls of the front tyres are worn. The brakes, suspension and tyres were all replaced at the same time. I rarely drive it but the difference is clear from OEM as you can feel the bite as you are behind the wheel due to its coefficient of friction between the braking surfaces. I won't have to worry about cracking because of its manufactured processes plus it is of a reputable brand.

You are going to have to explain better than stating you rotate your tyres and your oil change every 5000/10,000km. Your BMW application means nothing to me because you never tested the discs to see how it is holding up. I have conveyed to you fundamentally in mechanical engineering principles why Fretting, Wöhler's Fatigue and Mechanics of Materials is not old wives tale. This also is one of the few areas wrong (heat and thermo was suppressed) with a cross-drilled rotor.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 05, 2012
Trac:

Old wives tale indeed. Give scientific explanations and not what your opinions are. So far, what you've said doesn't hold up laws of physics/mechanics and the principles of materials and fatigue cycle.

This will be kept simple and relatively short and start from the obvious.

When "whatever" is used to tap the disc, the region of contact is fatigued. What fatigue? Fretting fatigue! This is the damage that occurs where tangential motion (in this case, whatever the tapping tool is) and the other body of contact are under compressive load: in this situation, one of the components must be subjected to bulk loading (the rotor). The result thereafter is potential tangential cracks or cracks at the areas of contact. One single crack initiation is enough to render the whole thing useless. The discs might survive the torment at this point but has been compromised.

At this point, you should be concerned about fatigue which is the process where repeated loading cause failure even when the norminal stresses are below the material yield strength. For the character and nature of use of the brakes [all kinds of braking plus antilocks (motion of the rotor is a combination of rotation and translation)], "galling" can occur later during its lifecycle. In other words, it lacks the strength of material to do the appropriate job for the entire duration it is suppose to.

If there are cracks already established, they may not be on the surface and if they are, you will not be able to see them visually except the damage has progressively worsened. It'll be worse when it is in the material compound. For the surface inspection, you will need a dye-penetrant with a black light. If it is sub-surface, you will need to do a radiographic or ultrasonic testing. You are to repeat such "quality control" at periodic intervals when used in a passenger vehicle. It is just a bad product design. Other areas of concern is heat and energy translation at every of those cross-drilled contact.

To reflect on the product you displayed, visually it doesn't look right. It is also a disc that will rust. It appears as though an ordinary rotor was taken and then cross-drilling and slotting was done. A proper design and build will be cast and not drilled. This way, there is absolutely no high-cycle-fatigue in any point of the material and durability is assured for the entire duration of the lifecycle of the brake rotor. This is justification for the high price mark on it.

To answer your question, I have in one of my cars full sport rotors with no structural compromises and it is not cross-drilled. It's been 4 years and not up to 20,000 and the only complaint I have is that the outer sidewalls of the front tyres are worn. The brakes, suspension and tyres were all replaced at the same time. I rarely drive it but the difference is clear from OEM as you can feel the bite as you are behind the wheel due to its coefficient of friction between the braking surfaces. I won't have to worry about cracking because of its manufactured processes plus it is of a reputable brand.

You are going to have to explain better than stating you rotate your tyres and your oil change every 5000/10,000km. Your BMW application means nothing to me because you never tested the discs to see how it is holding up. I have conveyed to you fundamentally in mechanical engineering principles why Fretting, Wöhler's Fatigue and Mechanics of Materials is not old wives tale. This also is one of the few areas wrong (heat and thermo was suppressed) with a cross-drilled rotor.

And the proof I asked you to submit?

I have shown you my proof. This car specifically plus 3 others previously as well as another car that is an award winning SCCA dedicated track auto cross and road race car.

I read a lot of words but you offered no real proof.

It's nothing personal my Brother but I am not the average person that is swayed by old wives tale. All I am asking you for is your own personal proof. Again, have you had a disc fracture on one of your cars before? You don't. Simply because you hav enever seen a disc fracture and you're doing nothing but humping outdated data garnered from the internet around. You don't know the manufacturer of my discs, you know know the reasearch that I did before buying them, you don't know from whom I got the reccomendations from.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Trac: 10:25am On Sep 06, 2012
Somorin#1:

And the proof I asked you to submit?

I have shown you my proof. This car specifically plus 3 others previously as well as another car that is an award winning SCCA dedicated track auto cross and road race car.

I read a lot of words but you offered no real proof.

It's nothing personal my Brother but I am not the average person that is swayed by old wives tale. All I am asking you for is your own personal proof. Again, have you had a disc fracture on one of your cars before? You don't. Simply because you hav enever seen a disc fracture and you're doing nothing but humping outdated data garnered from the internet around. You don't know the manufacturer of my discs, you know know the reasearch that I did before buying them, you don't know from whom I got the reccomendations from.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but none of what I posted is from the internet (neither did I google anything). I have an intellectual understanding of automotive engineering and manufacturing and I originally intended to work in the automotive/aerospace sector but the economy did not make it possible. Professionally, I design mechanical elements and stress calculations/analysis for a living. Saying engineering laws or phenomena as outdated is a joke. Till you explain otherwise, you have no basis to debunk what I have stated in regards to the principles of materials science and mechanics. There're still other areas of flaws that I did not discuss upon. Realistically, cross-drilling rotors is an obsolete technology and nobody uses asbestos or gas-relief pads anymore.

No engineer would approve of this - not just in rotor application but in any kind of structural design with crack initiation(s); not even a student in an engineering discipline. There is more to what goes behind the production phase than what you see. If you don't see what's wrong in this process and the consequential effects later, much can't be done and your research is incomplete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUanInZmAWI
Take this to the career section of NL and "propose" it to the practicing engineers.

I don't play with brakes neither do I have to experience a potential or catastrophic failure to learn a lesson and post it to the world. There is a reason why NO manufacturer fits this in their production vehicles.

The brand you bought, I know. Since you pushed it, I will disclose it. I have attached images as well.

The rotors you have are called "Powerstop." The part number:
Front: EBR421XPR and Rear: EBR422XPR.

The company has no experience or affiliation with racing of any kind - not even a single sponsor. They have no pedigree. It is based in Illinois and they make rotors (drilled and slotted) for most vehicles (including American trucks and Kia Rio). The rotors are relatively inexpensive and eBay is loaded with it with sellers wanting a sale. Overall, the product documentation is extremely shallow (both sellers and company). Much isn't spoken about philosophy, design, materials and stringent manufacturing procedures that yields the manifested outputs. Plant location…

If I am wrong, the burden is on you to tell me. I will acknowledge.

It's not my place to tell you how to spend your money neither did I intend anywhere to devalue . My concern was safety. Also, it will not last 75-10,000km (as you erroneously posted). To neglect the extra caution for what is questionable (and in your view, controversial) is what I find disturbing.
At this point, I won't continue with this discussion. The original purpose of the thread will be derailed from its intention. If you disprove me on the product and part number, I will acknowledge but will not respond.

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Sep 06, 2012
Trac:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but none of what I posted is from the internet (neither did I google anything). I have an intellectual understanding of automotive engineering and manufacturing and I originally intended to work in the automotive/aerospace sector but the economy did not make it possible. Professionally, I design mechanical elements and stress calculations/analysis for a living. Saying engineering laws or phenomena as outdated is a joke. Till you explain otherwise, you have no basis to debunk what I have stated in regards to the principles of materials science and mechanics. There're still other areas of flaws that I did not discuss upon. Realistically, cross-drilling rotors is an obsolete technology and nobody uses asbestos or gas-relief pads anymore.

No engineer would approve of this - not just in rotor application but in any kind of structural design with crack initiation(s); not even a student in an engineering discipline. There is more to what goes behind the production phase than what you see. If you don't see what's wrong in this process and the consequential effects later, much can't be done and your research is incomplete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUanInZmAWI
Take this to the career section of NL and "propose" it to the practicing engineers.

I don't play with brakes neither do I have to experience a potential or catastrophic failure to learn a lesson and post it to the world. There is a reason why NO manufacturer fits this in their production vehicles.

The brand you bought, I know. Since you pushed it, I will disclose it. I have attached images as well.

The rotors you have are called "Powerstop." The part number:
Front: EBR421XPR and Rear: EBR422XPR.

The company has no experience or affiliation with racing of any kind - not even a single sponsor. They have no pedigree. It is based in Illinois and they make rotors (drilled and slotted) for most vehicles (including American trucks and Kia Rio). The rotors are relatively inexpensive and eBay is loaded with it with sellers wanting a sale. Overall, the product documentation is extremely shallow (both sellers and company). Much isn't spoken about philosophy, design, materials and stringent manufacturing procedures that yields the manifested outputs. Plant location…

If I am wrong, the burden is on you to tell me. I will acknowledge.

It's not my place to tell you how to spend your money neither did I intend anywhere to devalue . My concern was safety. Also, it will not last 75-10,000km (as you erroneously posted). To neglect the extra caution for what is questionable (and in your view, controversial) is what I find disturbing.
At this point, I won't continue with this discussion. The original purpose of the thread will be derailed from its intention. If you disprove me on the product and part number, I will acknowledge but will not respond.

A lot of unrelated hogwash.

I ask again, and I will keep on asking regardless of any red herring you post.

What personal (you seem educated though you continue to ignore this specific word) proof do you have to support your position of bad design and cracked disc?

I await your reponse and hopefully it will be useful personal data and not more internet "old wives tale" - lol. My position cannot be changed unles you offer as such as I requested. Sorry.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 07, 2012
Somorin, I will say Trac is right. I haven't run slotted rotors in any of my cars, however I have run two sets of drilled ones.

I ran both sets in a 1995 Audi Coupe S2, and both showed cracks around the drilled holes, they appeared as a fine spider-web network, barely visible at first, growing larger until the cracks interlocked. The first set was manufactured by Zimmerman, the second by Brembo, a well respected name in the automotive braking sector.

I build cars to be driven hard, and beat the hell out of them, both on the street and track. So braking and suspension safety are very important to me. When steel, either cast or forged is drilled, it becomes a weak point. Not an issue on a stator, but on a rotor that's subject to several heating and cooling cycles as well as friction, it's not considered ideal. Lots of Motorsport teams have reverted to solid rotors for this very reason. Sudden cooling of a red-hot rotor (yes, they can glow red if the automobile's driven in anger) can cause it to shatter if drilled. A scenario such as this is if the rotor's really hot, then the automobile's driven through water.

Steel in any application where heat or fatigue's an issue will generally crack from an edge, not the middle. Drill this same steel, and you've multiplied the point of fracture. So let's say 35 holes, each hole has the potential to crack from their respective "edges", with each hole potentially having 4 cracks or more.

100,000 miles represents an average of 10 years worth of driving, which is a hell of a long time to retain pads and rotors in any automobile, even if it's driven by a careful granny. If they're not worn below their specified limits, they'll still need replacement. Little use brings its own set of issues - corrosion, pitting etc.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by sultaan(m): 4:08am On Sep 07, 2012
Guess I won't be seeing any more of this on a ZR1
or Lexus

Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 12:37am On Sep 08, 2012
Siena: Somorin, I will say Trac is right. I haven't run slotted rotors in any of my cars, however I have run two sets of drilled ones.

I ran both sets in a 1995 Audi Coupe S2, and both showed cracks around the drilled holes, they appeared as a fine spider-web network, barely visible at first, growing larger until the cracks interlocked. The first set was manufactured by Zimmerman, the second by Brembo, a well respected name in the automotive braking sector.

I build cars to be driven hard, and beat the hell out of them, both on the street and track. So braking and suspension safety are very important to me. When steel, either cast or forged is drilled, it becomes a weak point. Not an issue on a stator, but on a rotor that's subject to several heating and cooling cycles as well as friction, it's not considered ideal. Lots of Motorsport teams have reverted to solid rotors for this very reason. Sudden cooling of a red-hot rotor (yes, they can glow red if the automobile's driven in anger) can cause it to shatter if drilled. A scenario such as this is if the rotor's really hot, then the automobile's driven through water.

Steel in any application where heat or fatigue's an issue will generally crack from an edge, not the middle. Drill this same steel, and you've multiplied the point of fracture. So let's say 35 holes, each hole has the potential to crack from their respective "edges", with each hole potentially having 4 cracks or more.

100,000 miles represents an average of 10 years worth of driving, which is a hell of a long time to retain pads and rotors in any automobile, even if it's driven by a careful granny. If they're not worn below their specified limits, they'll still need replacement. Little use brings its own set of issues - corrosion, pitting etc.

I really don't want to get into this with you Sienna.

I will only ask the same question I have asked the other Guy, "Have you ran my setup (2012 manufactured drilled/slotted by same manufacturer) on your car personally AND have surfered failures AND have the evidence to back it up. Otherwise we'll be comparing apples to oranges.

This is really simple and is not a popularity contest. I beleive in what I do and you are free to beleive in yours. I don't trash my cars, I drive them with deliberate purpose but I do not mistreat them. If the disc/pads wear past tolerable limits they get changed, at any mileage.

Love your Audi project by the way. I have a 190E that is getting a C43 powertrain transplant in the garage right now.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 12:42am On Sep 08, 2012
sultaan: Guess I won't be seeing any more of this on a ZR1
or Lexus

Yes, they are very very dangerous. I'll do you a favor and take those off of your hands.

You should take them off promptly and ship the calipers to me.

Lol.

The missing keys are that much progress has been made in automotive engineering. We can now buy well made parts off good design that were previously only available to dedicated race shops.

Used to be that you can't place children in front seats of cars with airbags. Modern engineering now has multi staged air bags with sensors that explode, or not, based on what the computer decides is the best need of the ocucpant weight.

So I can't go around like a ninny and rant and rave about air bags not being safe for kids. That used to be the case but not anymore.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 7:37am On Sep 08, 2012
Somorin, I won't go into the airbag debate, because this isn't what this thread's about, so I'll stick with brake rotors.

Have I used your rotors, and had them crack? No. Have I run cross-drilled rotors and had them crack? Yes. Brembo is up there among the best, but their cross-drilled rotors still cracked. As I stated, I drive my cars hard, that's what they were built for. If you choose to upgrade your powertrain, then you too are after the extra performance. Driving a car hard does not constitute abuse, or mistreatment, as you stated.

I don't have to test your particular cross-drilled rotors, the fundamental principle behind drilled still, be it cast or forged remains the same. As long as steel is load-bearing, any holes will be subject to stress and fatigue. It's not my opinion, it's a scientific fact. Cross-drilled rotors were originally introduced to allow more cooling through the radial vanes, and dispel gases that get trapped between the pad and rotor, which lead to "skating".

However, with modern pad material, trapped gases is no longer an issue. Blank or slotted rotors are the best option for any car, be it road or track. Cross-drilled rotors also reduce the breaking surface considerably than a blank one. If your concern is heat which will ultimately lead to brake fade in extreme conditions (which is unlikely to be an issue with you, seeing as you don't thrash your cars) then you may wish to consider cast-iron rotors, as opposed to steel. Regular steel rotors have a higher tensile strength, but cast-iron versions have better thermal transfer characteristics, and are more dimensionally stable at elevated temperature.

The only instance where cross-drilled rotors may resist cracking is if the rotors are made of a different (and 10 times more expensive material).

Ceramic.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 7:40am On Sep 08, 2012
And Somorin, this isn't ranting and raving, as you so succinctly put it. It's expressing scientific fact; we're all here to share opinions, which I believe is what a Discussion Board is all about. wink
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2012
Siena: ...
Have I used your rotors, and had them crack? No.

Thank you, we are done here.
Re: What Is The Average Life Span Of A Car? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 08, 2012
Siena: And Somorin, this isn't ranting and raving, as you so succinctly put it. It's expressing scientific fact; we're all here to share opinions, which I believe is what a Discussion Board is all about. wink

I disagree. I did not accuse you of ranting and raving by the way.

Have a nice day.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Viecar VC002-A/B Mini OBDII Bluetooth Car Scanner Diagnostic Tool (4.5K) / Tips On Buying A Used Mercedes Benz Car - The Pros And Cons / Someone Just Payed ₦763m For First Production 2020 Toyota GR Supra At An Auction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.