Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,501 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! (13155 Views)

Nuclear Vs Extended Family / Your Wife Or Your Extended Family / Extended Family Or Nuclear Family, Which Do You Prefer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 11:44pm On Sep 01, 2012
ibedun: Dasparrow - you are so right. Let them keep having their futureless children.

i pray to see the day children in Naija start beating up their parents for bringing them to the world knwoing they lack the means to provide them with a decent life.
OMGosh!!!!

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by ibedun: 11:44pm On Sep 01, 2012
Abbey2Sam,

I will never become poor. Not in this lifetime and i wont take up issues with you.

I dont carry baggages that are not mine and I avoid anything that would deplete my resources (and that includes the feckless extended family)

We Africans are like a useless bunch of people who only know how to do one thing only - have babies they cannot take care of and create more heartbreaking poverty.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by ibedun: 11:49pm On Sep 01, 2012
kobojunkie - what i said is already happening. Parents are getting abandoned in their old age by their poverty striken -now grown up- children.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 12:46am On Sep 02, 2012
I am only laughing cause it might be the awakening these "parents" need. I mean even the so-called NEW GENERATION don't seem to have learnt anything . . . they are still having babies like rabbits. People still have dreams of having a big family but no one stops to think what happens if they are not able to adequately provide for all those kids, and guarantee them they have a go as a brighter future.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Mowire: 3:04am On Sep 02, 2012
@Ibedun, I believe you're least qualified to ever opine an advice on matters as this. You come across as an inhuman & arrogant person. I guess you also fed yourself from infancy through hardwork.
Man there are people out there who more intelligent & more hardworking than you are but are not rich.
You are atheist, I suppose?

@oyibo, your husband's sibling are just not self respecting. Talk to your husband, patiently. As caring person he should reason out an amicable solution.

@koboko, ku ise o.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by manosteel(m): 7:02am On Sep 02, 2012
@Mrs Oyinbo, I know how difficult and uncomfortable it could be especially this time in UK. Since you are already in it, you don't need to put up a fight or to be wearing a frowning face to show how displease you are. Just try to be the best you can, definitely, it won't be Permanent. You can talk it over with your husband, together, you provide necessary assistance to help them secure a job, get house of their and move out. If they are wise enough, they suppose to know that, as a married woman, you need to enjoy some level of privacy in your home.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by NeuroBoss(m): 8:25am On Sep 02, 2012
Madam, you,re African and you should try and resolve it the African way-making your husband understand on your knees. Thank God food is not the bone of contention especially the ever-increasing price of garri.

#irepgarri.com
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 02, 2012
NeuroBoss: Madam, you,re African and you should try and resolve it the African way-making your husband understand on your knees. Thank God food is not the bone of contention especially the ever-increasing price of garri.

#irepgarri.com

For the umpteenth time, she's not African, she's Caucasean.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by stallion2: 8:37am On Sep 02, 2012
Mrs.Oyibo:
I have been married to my husband for 5 years. He is the eldest of a family of five. Even before we got married my husband always told me about his responsibility to he younger siblings and always made it clear that he would like at least one of them to join us here in the UK. I never had a problem with this and actually thought that it would be good for him to have a sibling in the same country that could help to share the family responsibility.

Finally in August 2010 his Mum, his sister and his youngest brother were granted a visiting visa. His sister came to live with us in September 2010 and his brother joined us in December 2010. My husband's Mum visited in December 2010 and stayed for one month before returning to Nigeria. In January 2011 we applied for EEA residence cards for the two siblings and these were granted in May 2011.

My husband's brother lived with us until October 2011 when we asked him to leave because he had been stealing small amounts of money from my purse, ad had also been expecting my husband and I to continue to financially support him even though he a part time job! Anyway, that matter was resolved and things are once again amicable between us and the brother. My husband's sister continues to live with us in our two bedroom house and she shares a bedroom with my daughter.

So far, so manageable.
just a simple question for you , if it was the other way round would you be complaining to the world ? i mean if they were you own family?

Fast forward to this Summer. My husband submitted a request for an EEA family permit for his mother and his remaining unmarried sister to join us in the UK. I told my husband that I was unwilling to have financial responsibility for another of his family members. He agreed and said that his Mum and his sister could stay with his younger brother and just come to visit us occasionally. He also said that we would have no financial responsibility towards his Mum and sister and claimed that this would be the taken care of by his younger brother and the sister that lives with us. I felt that this was reasonable and agreed to sponsor the application.

His Mum's visa was granted But his siter's visa was refused. His Mum arrived o. The 01st June 2012 and has been living with us since. We've been financially responsible for her since. When she arrived in London she didn't have 1 kobo to her name. For the first three weeks that she was here, my daughter had to share a room with my husband's Mum and his sister. The sister has moved out temporarily because she has secured work for the Olympic Period. however as soon as the Paralympics finish she will no longer be accommodated by her employer and will have to move back in. I don't know when my mother-in-law will return to Nigeria because We submitted an EEA residence card application to UKBA for her and they have up until the end of December to reply.

So here is the problem - I want my house back. I want to live in it with my husband and my daughter only. I am tired of living with my mother-in-law who speaks very little English. I am tired of her planning how many things she wants to buy before returning to Nigeria (with our money of course). I am tired of her asking when we will invite her remaining daughter to come and live with us. I am also tired of her moaning about how boring life in the UK is. Very very fed up.

Also feel that now that my sister-in-law is working that she should find her own place to live. After all, she's been with us for almost 2 years.

The problem is that my husband thinks that it is entirely normal that I be accepting of his family. He does not understand, or maybe chooses not to understand, when I tell him that I want control of my home.

How can I effectively manage this situation without causing a war with my husband?

Thanks!

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 02, 2012
[color=#000099][/color] @MRS OYIBO
hold on to ur kind and concidering nature.
-take it as if u are not just helping ur extended family. But also helping save souls.

- i know u must have heard abt d un4tunate stories of d dreaded Islamic Sec Named Boko Haram (BIKO HARAM) here in 9ja.

- would u love ur hubby's family to end up getting bombed by Boko Haram?

- or would u preffer them to sterve their casava tommies to death becus of d increase in the price of garri (g.unite) here in 9ja?

- learn to sacrifice most times, bt ofcource not blindly.

-As 4 those of u who plan 2 kick dia porverty stricken parents away,
Y'all are products of Anti-Christ.

-Who told u dat ur mother neva tried or suffered 4 u?

-do u have a clue on hw far they went or can go 4 ur 4king safety?

-AS 4 me, i will mary my mum 1st b4 taking any Oyibo/Blacky in.

-@all ma free-garri-hommies, am building a official site 4 #price-of-garri.

-IF U CARE TO DEFEND D RIGHT OF GARRI IN 9JA,
COME ON, LETS GET IT STARTED.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 1:28pm On Sep 02, 2012
NeuroBoss: Madam, you,re African and you should try and resolve it the African way-making your husband understand on your knees. Thank God food is not the bone of contention especially the ever-increasing price of garri.

#irepgarri.com

@Poster, if you ever bring yourself to this level, you are more than likely putting the lid on your marriage yourself. The last thing you need is to pretend that you are someone you are not.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by aribisala0(m): 2:40pm On Sep 02, 2012
Truckpusher: sorry to say this,from your written grammar and your English composition you are A TYPICAL BORN AND RAISED IN NAIJA LIKE ME ...SHUT UP.READ MY LIPS...Y.O.U. B.E N.A.I.J.A G.I.R.L you no be oyibo.
Does not matter what she is and no one believes that anyway, People alter/modify details for all kinds of reasons e.g. anonymity etc. Even if the story is fictional the issues can still be debated
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by DANILSA(m): 4:24pm On Sep 02, 2012
Check this.

Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by Kobojunkie: 4:32pm On Sep 02, 2012
DANILSA: Check this.
That is not true. That is a lie people who are re-tarded make up. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Your mother cannot take the place of your wife/husband unless you are a nimrod . . then lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by aribisala0(m): 5:29pm On Sep 02, 2012
Mowire: @Ibedun, I believe you're least qualified to ever opine an advice on matters as this. You come across as an inhuman & arrogant person. I guess you also fed yourself from infancy through hardwork.
Man there are people out there who more intelligent & more hardworking than you are but are not rich.
You are atheist, I suppose?
I agree he comes across as arrogant and could be more tactful but the sentiments he expresses are valid.
I am not sure what being an atheist has to do with anything.Your conclusions that he must be atheist only expose your cognitive limitations. Some of the most humane and productive people have been atheists while many of the most evil people have been publicly declared Christians etc. Tai Solarin was an atheist and one of the most productive Nigerians ever. Nigerians as a bunch are the most religiose people you will ever come across and certainly among the most wicked. We must be careful not to confound religiosity with religiousness nor the latter with piety or elevated humanity.
Let God not man judge man on godliness.
Re: Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! by daliki: 8:35pm On Mar 19, 2013
Haaaaa sorry to say; really selfish man u gat there! Whose mother didn't suffer over her children Would he allow ur own family do the same?? Not even in d UK, where its every man to his own!!his family is his business, and yours yours too! So no spouse should frustrate the other with its own family issues..."A man shall leave his father and mother..and cling to his wife" and dey shall become 1!! If u are 1, such decisions must be mutual.
Please ask ur own mother too, who suffered greatly over bringing you up to come and live with u unendingly and let's see reactions! undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don't Acquire Properties In Your Husband's Name, Nigerian Lady Advice / My Sexual Experience / Did You Marry The Wrong Person?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.