Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) (22009 Views)

See Pics Of South Africa's BRT Bus Stops And Roads In Joburg / Patience: I Haven't Packed Out Of Aso Rock / Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by ichieakpo(m): 9:36am On Aug 31, 2012
notin dey hapun 4 dis our country man must survive grin grin
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by DANILSA(m): 9:40am On Aug 31, 2012
This is not a matter of Lagos or Fashola is happens all around the world. In Nigeria people actually don't care about comfort but what they can afford, in Portharcourt skybank Bus that runs from oyigbo to town is usually jam packed, in Abuja the el rufai bus that runs from kubwa to wuse is the same thing, and mind u op nobody was forced to enter, they always have a choice.

1 Like

Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by honeric01(m): 9:42am On Aug 31, 2012
Thread dead on arrival lol
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by wowo2: 9:46am On Aug 31, 2012
i think a machine be it car, bus, train or chopper has a maximum capacity it is designed for. Am sure this is displayed prominently in the case of buses. It will be wrong to say a bus cannot take a load up to its capacity if it says 99 standing and only 98 are standing; also it will be unlawful if it takes on 100 standing if it says 99 standing.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 9:47am On Aug 31, 2012
duni04: We shouldn't always be in a haste to compare what goes on in Nigeria with what goes on in other countries, and also the fact that we have crowded buses and trains in more developed countries doesn't mean its 'normal' or we should accept it as a norm. I'm sure these developed countries we're always very quick to compare ourselves with are already mapping out ways to make rush hour traffic more convenient and efficient while we're here accepting that its a norm. In a few years time, after these countries would have thought out and implemented ways of improving their transport system, we'll be here alone with our 'norm'. Lets also seek out ways of improving our transport system and making it convenient and inexpensive to commuters.
we should compare it as they are in turn human too, RUSH HOUR IS RUSH HOUR worldwide no short cut you feel me, so people should stop posting stupid topics, I have be squashed B4 on a train from London to Manchester cos I went on it during Peak times(Rush Hour) I stood for 4 hours, did I Blame Toni Blair?
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by gbadexy(m): 9:49am On Aug 31, 2012
I can see that some people want to turn a seemingly harmless topic into tribal bashing.
Is it that some people lack intelligent ideas to input into public discuss or what?
You people should stop living in e-virtual world.
I don't get the same vibe I get on NL from ibos in lagos and dem plenty. Starting from ojo where I schooled to tejuosho/yaba where we watch ball on weekends.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 9:49am On Aug 31, 2012
DANILSA: This is not a matter of Lagos or Fashola is happens all around the world. In Nigeria people actually don't care about comfort but what they can afford, in Portharcourt skybank Bus that runs from oyigbo to town is usually jam packed, in Abuja the el rufai bus that runs from kubwa to wuse is the same thing, and mind u op nobody was forced to enter, they always have a choice.
If you look careful my friend you will notice that the people supporting this ill illustrated thread have never been out of Nigeria B4 so they think everything is perfect in the western countries.Rubish
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by erico2k2(m): 9:50am On Aug 31, 2012
DANILSA: This is not a matter of Lagos or Fashola is happens all around the world. In Nigeria people actually don't care about comfort but what they can afford, in Portharcourt skybank Bus that runs from oyigbo to town is usually jam packed, in Abuja the el rufai bus that runs from kubwa to wuse is the same thing, and mind u op nobody was forced to enter, they always have a choice.
That is the word, no one is forced to enter.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by dridowu: 9:59am On Aug 31, 2012
mekuslogan:

Lagos' problem is intractable. It is in the interest of Yorubas to support a program of even development of the country so that the number of those moving to Lagos (Nigeria's former capital developed with our collective wealth) from all parts of Nigeria will reduce. The more they keep playing tribalism with the developement of other places, the more Lagos is swamped, to the disadvantage of the Yorubas. Now Igbos even rent houses to Yorubas in some parts of Lagos (Festac, Satellite town, etc)
so do u now mean dat lagos problem are now caused by Yorubas ? no matter d numba of ibos dat rent house to d yorubas dy can NEVER claim LAGOS, guy pls use ur,head b4 u write...............mtchewwwwwww
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by zobay(m): 10:00am On Aug 31, 2012
@poster wat are driving at?
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by dangerzone: 10:02am On Aug 31, 2012
erico2k2:
If you look careful my friend you will notice that the people supporting this ill illustrated thread have never been out of Nigeria B4 so they think everything is perfect in the western countries.Rubish
Abeg tell them some words,you will see worst of this in Denmark when it comes to rush hour a country with the total population of about 6million.anybody that think this ain't normal should go to togo and b expose to life a bit rather than coming on nl n be proud of their foolish ignorance
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by netwalker: 10:03am On Aug 31, 2012
mekuslogan:

Lagos' problem is intractable. It is in the interest of Yorubas to support a program of even development of the country so that the number of those moving to Lagos (Nigeria's former capital developed with our collective wealth) from all parts of Nigeria will reduce. The more they keep playing tribalism with the developement of other places, the more Lagos is swamped, to the disadvantage of the Yorubas. Now Igbos even rent houses to Yorubas in some parts of Lagos (Festac, Satellite town, etc)

Not a very sensible thing to say. It was the Federal Government that brought Lagos to the state it is today, true, but what has that got to do with the Yorubas refusing to allow the development of the rest of the country? Speaking as an Igbo person, what have the South Eastern governors done to develop Owerri, Enugu, Aba, or Abakaliki themselves in which they were impeded by the Yorubas? And if the Igbos were united, they would be able to insist on getting some things like the dredging of the Niger and the inland port at Onitsha done, or the upgrading of airports in the South East. The failure to acheive these things rests squarely on the shoulders of we Igbos ourselves, not on anything the Yorubas may have done or not done. If the Igbos want to buy property in Lagos, that's their privilege. In the current state of Nigeria, I myself would not invest in property outside the East until I have got somewhere in the East to go back to in the event of any wahala in this country - the lesson of the civil war has been learnt - but more grease to the elbows of those buying property in Lagos. The Yorubas have done well, they have Lagos. Lets go build a metropolitan centre in the East too, if we want.

3 Likes

Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by netwalker: 10:08am On Aug 31, 2012
erico2k2:

Well said,mate. Rush hour is rush hour everywhere in the world. However, elsewhere in the world people DO have a choice. I live in Lagos, and what I hate most about Lagos is the LACK of decent public transport. Driving in Lagos is nightmarish, and I don't ALWAYS want to drive! If only there was a choice between a bus, an underground train or a surface train to be made in Lagos, blood pressures would be much lower. I thank God that I don't have to work on the Island, for example, the commute would most probably be the death of me.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by hischoice(m): 10:10am On Aug 31, 2012
@kunleKunle @NairaLanders,

Thanks for sharing those videos. But not even one of them depicts the theme “happiness” or even “indifference”. They all show how much danger is waiting to happen when humans are that packed.

That wrongs are being done everywhere in the world does not make them right here in Nigeria!
Rush hours abound in every large city in the world, agreed but Lagos’s case is peculiar, the buses are there lined up behind the one “loading”, BRT officers just won’t let another start loading until one is filled to the brim. It is a different story if there are no buses on ground. Even at that though, safety should be paramount first. What if…?

One Subaway train transports 500,000 people (just a number from the blues) because it was designed to transport that number. If a BRT bus moves, 107 persons when it is designed for 106, accidents are just waiting to happen.

Please, look the third picture again, the young man has earphone plugged in while standing right behind that door which it’s opening and closing is controlled by the pilot. If he snaps it opened for an alighting passenger, that young man is pressed in.
From the forgoing, nothing justifies this wicked treatment of Lagosians. Even if everyone in the world does it, we can set a new standard. Of course, we have done so in time past. Eko o ni baje o
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 31, 2012
kunlekunle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0A9-oUoMug&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWrD7wPYgw&feature=fvwrel

NEW YORK RUSH HOUR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xOR4OkPnF0

BEIJING RUSH HOUR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIFW6Ro_Buw&NR=1&feature=endscreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rfSeGDRqg&feature=related

Thanks for posting this! I was about to comment and say its not limited to Nigeria alone. While I was at Liverpool, there were certain times you would NOT get a bus cos it was filled to even the door points! And I'm talking Liverpool not even London o! So let us not see it as a Nigerian thing but as a rush hour thingy grin
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Navalsadiq(m): 10:19am On Aug 31, 2012
IT'S EVERY WHERE SO MAKE UNA ALLOW NAIJA GROW ABEG.UNA CRITICISM TOO MUCH.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 31, 2012
erico2k2:
we should compare it as they are in turn human too, RUSH HOUR IS RUSH HOUR worldwide no short cut you feel me, so people should stop posting stupid topics, I have be squashed B4 on a train from London to Manchester cos I went on it during Peak times(Rush Hour) I stood for 4 hours, did I Blame Toni Blair?

Abeg tell am o! And even worse the pickpockets in the UK will out rival the pickpockets from Naija in a pickpocket olympics grin

1 Like

Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Nobody: 10:26am On Aug 31, 2012
were they forced to enter? no sir.while other commuters were charging like 250 buy the same brt charges 150.so people does it to save cost. besides you can read from the buys that you have up to 36 standing lot in the bus, so what is new about standing.OP why do you entered to stand when you know it has already filled up?
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by bbporsche: 10:28am On Aug 31, 2012
geeez: If its about the standing, I can tell you for free that it happens even in the most advanced countries. What the heck do you think the handrails are there for? To hang pants and bras?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Chedarking: 10:30am On Aug 31, 2012
The OP should try getting on the tube in London @ rushhour...Then you'll know what cramped truly is!
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 31, 2012
i beg to differ ....even when i went to the UK....then in london rush hour or no rush hour....there were times we stand in buses....even in trains.... take a ride on JUBILEE LINE..and you will know what it feels like to stand especially if you are going towards ZONE 1.....i do remember even during northinghill convivial 2007 i was even in the same train with JJC and 419 squad and they too were standing grin grin grin grin so i think sometimes people just think the west dont have poor people....or everything there works perfectly well......so @ OP please dont bring up threads that dont add value to people....besides they dont force these people ...most of them dont want to stay in line so they can have sits but would prefer to go forward and wait for the bus to fill up and enter to stand since the next person in line wont want to...... smiley smiley smiley wink wink wink so please this is not FASHOLA's fault but peoples decision
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by hischoice(m): 11:20am On Aug 31, 2012
@kunleKunle @NairaLanders,

Thanks for sharing those videos. But not even one of them depicts the theme “happiness” or even “indifference”. They all show how much danger is waiting to happen when humans are that packed.

That wrongs are being done everywhere in the world does not make them right here in Nigeria!
Rush hours abound in every large city in the world, agreed but Lagos’s case is peculiar, the buses are there lined up behind the one “loading”, BRT officers just won’t let another start loading until one is filled to the brim. It is a different story if there are no buses on ground. Even at that though, safety should be paramount first. What if…?

One Subaway train transports 500,000 people (just a number from the blues) because it was designed to transport that number. If a BRT bus moves, 107 persons when it is designed for 106, accidents are just waiting to happen.

Please, look the third picture again, the young man has earphone plugged in while standing right behind that door which it’s opening and closing is controlled by the pilot. If he snaps it opened for an alighting passenger, that young man is pressed in.
From the forgoing, nothing justifies this wicked treatment of Lagosians. Even if everyone in the world does it, we can set a new standard. Of course, we have done so in time past. Eko o ni baje o
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Ak47bullet: 11:28am On Aug 31, 2012
Ratatatatatatata kpoooooom. Suffering and smiling. Fashola take note
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Princek12(m): 12:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
The buses are being used exactly the way they were designed, which is to carry standing and sitting passengers. The picture depicts how efficient the BRT buses are being used, for it would be utter absurdity and outright inefficient practice to drive a BRT bus across town during rush hour traffic carrying only sitting passengers without standing passengers.

That the practice of carrying standing passengers and maximizing space does not provide comfort to passengers relies on a false premise. It relies on the notion that standing and grabbing a hand rail does not provide comfort, or that the only way to be comfortable is to sit down. Such reasoning is flawed.

As Nigerians, we should strive to embrace efficiency and longevity, as the BRT buses are at least still fully functional and are being used for the purposes for which they were bought, which is to carry passengers. At the end of the day, the average Lagosian would rather stand in an affordable BRT bus than wait an additional two hours for the next BRT bus that would enable him to sit.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by oremisussan: 12:38pm On Aug 31, 2012
A moment, I think OP is talking about manufacturer's usage specification versus safety and health considerations.
If at rush hours in say Kentucky, a subway transports 750,000 people in one sweep, as long as it is designed to do so, good. But once it moves 750,001 people (even if all are seated), it is no longer safe.

I have personal experiences in these BRT buses, even when there are empty buses lined behind the one loading, BRT officials will not let the loading bus move until people are pressed against one another. There are only 16 (maybe 20) hand hangers, but people standing are far more.

Second picture, a young man standing just behind the door with earphone plugged. Imagine driver snaps door opened for a would-alight passenger. What would be the fate of that Chelsea fan?

By the way, nobody is smiling in those videos in London, Beijing, Newyork and Kentucky. They all show how much danger waiting to explode when humans are that packed together. Lagos doesn't have to thread that path. Eko o ni baje o
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by sparkle10(m): 12:39pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ak47 bullet: Ratatatatatatata kpoooooom. Suffering and smiling. Fashola take note

Uncle Fash should also note that some of the buses are becoming worse than Danfo and Molue. Unfortunately FRSC doesn't really care about them.

Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by dasparrow: 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
@Post

This is nothing new. Even here in america during rush hour buses are jam packed and people are crammed in like sardine. Try taking the subway in New York City during rush hour. You will hardly find any seat and you will have to deal with homeless bums who probably stink worse than a decaying corpse riding the subway train with you. I often found myself breathing through my mouth because the stench was just unbearable it made me dizzy. Atleast, in Nigeria it is sane people riding the BRT bus. What will you say about america where homeless craze people who have not showered/taken a bath for months on end ride the bus and/or subway with you?

Abeg leave matter!
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by tpia5: 1:25pm On Aug 31, 2012
op

is it because they're black and in nigeria that you must open thread?

the same happens everywhere in the world- what's your problem.

nigerians like to "open mouth" too much- why? Everything is always so "strange" to some of you. undecided

the only issue i have with the pictures is the guy standing in the stairwell- that space is supposed to remain clear.
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by tpia5: 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2012
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by Baawaa(m): 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2012
duni04: We shouldn't always be in a haste to compare what goes on in Nigeria with what goes on in other countries, and also the fact that we have crowded buses and trains in more developed countries doesn't mean its 'normal' or we should accept it as a norm. I'm sure these developed countries we're always very quick to compare ourselves with are already mapping out ways to make rush hour traffic more convenient and efficient while we're here accepting that its a norm. In a few years time, after these countries would have thought out and implemented ways of improving their transport system, we'll be here alone with our 'norm'. Lets also seek out ways of improving our transport system and making it convenient and inexpensive to commuters.
No sensible person will tell you that overcrowding a bus because you want to make money is good,from what i noticed,passengers begged for standing in the morning and evening times.For instance,Ogun-State government just launched her own buses,believing me it is useless because the crowd is not much.As a matter of fact we need to commend Lagos-State government for giving us sense of belonging.Every festive time BRT is free,majority of us don't know!!
Eko O Ni Baje Ooo!!!!!
Re: People Jam-packed In A Lagos BRT Bus (Pics) by tpia5: 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
people should stop showcasing their ignorance.

it's annoying.

what's it with nigerians and complaining for goodness sake.

whine whine whine all the time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DSS Releases Babatunde Gbadamosi, Buhari’s Critic / The NGO Regulatory Bill: Summary & Its Implications On NGOs In Nigeria (Photos) / 8 Airstrips To Be Rehabilitated In 2022 (Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.