Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight (8806 Views)

Ambode & Tinubu Commission Mile 12-Ikorodu BRT Extention & New BRT Buses / Amaechi, Dakuku Say Victory In Sight For APC / End Of Boko Haram In Sight, Says Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Justcash(m): 8:41am On May 29, 2011
Fashola should do something about this. He should build and ensure maintenance.

Why build what you can’t maintain? by Florence Amagiya

I visited Victoria Island recently. I didn’t take a cab because they can be very expensive in Lagos. Imagine flagging a cab and the driver tells you that your fare is N3,000.

I am sure you will be amazed and if you do not reside in Lagos. You might be tempted to ask if he is taking you out of the state. But if you live in Lagos, you might understand and bid lower or move on. So as I was saying, I boarded a BRT bus instead, which is fair and comfortable. The bus took me from the popular Ojuelegba bus station through CMS where l alighted.

The feeling I got while l was in that bus was terrible, I sheded a few tears. Here on the brim of collapse was a bus l had bragged about to my friends and family members residing in other states. I told them to be attune to what is going on in Lagos.

When these buses were ordered from abroad, some years back, they were brand new buses. They were also pleasant sights for sore eyes. So boarding on one was like being transported abroad. But it is so sad to say that they are already falling apart.

This is rather a sad situation in Nigeria I must confess, where the Government or private industrialists would set up multi-billion naira projects and allow them to go moribund after a brief period of time, as a result of lack of maintenance of equipments or vehicles.

It is so disheartening that we spend huge sums of money building and developing infrastructures in Nigeria only for us to look back after few years to find such beautiful project left unattended to.

If someone could build refineries in Nigeria and they were up and working, it shouldn’t be a hard knot to crack for another to see that the refineries are always operational. Rather, just because of our individualism someone prefer to sabotage the system so as to get a right to import the same vehicles we have imported and destroyed or the same oil which we produce.

I think Nigerians should learn to imbibe a maintenance culture because it is cheaper to take care of what you have than to acquire a new one. Anyone who learns to build but does not learn to maintain what he has built shouldn’t have built in the first place. Lack of maintenance has tremendously been the undoing of Nigeria’s economy.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/why-build-what-you-can%E2%80%99t-maintain/
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by seunlayi(m): 1:07pm On May 29, 2011
The result of lack of maintaina culture. Imagine spending a loan on a project and allowing the project to degenerate into something else even before the loan is settled. . . . . . . . . . result of over 100 billion debt.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by ektbear: 1:21pm On May 29, 2011
I don't understand the long rant over one bad bus ride. Call whoever owns it and tell them specifically what needed to the replaced. How could she write such a long screed w/o even telling us what the problem was. A seat torn needing to be fixed? Pain job? Engine problem?

Lmao, I dunno how Nigerians reason sometimes. . . if something needs to be fixed, reporting it and being specific is often more useful than essays about industrialization and refineries

Nice job editorializing and over-dramatizing btw, OP. Smh at these folks with agendas. . .
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by ifyalways(f): 1:32pm On May 29, 2011
Story does not make any sense whatsoever to me . . .

What exactly did she say was wrong body,Inside,engine,careless driving,over-crowding ?

Na wao for dis style of ranting and journalism. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by EkoIle1: 1:36pm On May 29, 2011
I always check out the writer before reading many of these pointless and absurd news articles and most of the time, they are the usual bad bele folks from the other side of the Niger, it never fails.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mynd44: 2:02pm On May 29, 2011
If you can't tell what exartly the problem is then why waste your energy typing all that. The fact is that these buses have numbers and you can call the people in charge (their phone numbers are either inside or outside the buses) rather than come here and waste everyone's time
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by mithel(m): 2:18pm On May 29, 2011
Me i wont lie,as much as i like fashola,i would also criticise him when needed.

The maintenance of some of these buses has been my worry since last year.i think some of these buses need maintenance especially body work wise(both interior n exterior)e.g some of these buses' handles for standing passengers need replacement n paint job.i dont think i av boarded any brt with engine problems.

I know there is a mechanic plant for BRT,but more work is needed.i have always suggested the goverment employing some of these touts to wash n clean these brt buses on a daily bases and also employ the graduates from the state's youth vocational centres (d mechanics,welders n painters among them) to take care of the BRT buses thereby tackling the maintenance n some of the unemployment issues with one stone.

BUT I WOULD GIVE HIM KUDOS FOR MAINTAINING THE BRT LANES AND BRT BUS STOPS.

Thats is my two cents.

EKO ONI BAJE
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by mazamaza: 1:31am On May 30, 2011
stop attacking the op,  he/she does not have to be specific in knowing what he/she means in this instance. I visited lagos last year and could not believe those were the same buses which gave decent transportation for the public just less that a couple of years ago. now heavily beat-down jalopies angry angry. the insides were incredibly dirty, torn seats and even the yellow handles to hold if standing were black,  I don't even want to begin with the outside. They have literally replaced the molues and it is painful to see the absolute lack of maintenance culture at every level.

What if they at least get cleaning companies to take charge of cleaning and find ways of making sure more careful drivers are chosen? These London buses have been here for ages and here they are still bright and shiny everyday. I know we can't just get there immediately but at least start from somewhere since it was initiated by the Lagos state government.

It was disheartening to see.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by emekaD3(m): 1:44am On May 30, 2011
same with enugu buses, nawa oh
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by MariaP: 1:46am On May 30, 2011
wow i no know say molues nor dey naija again
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Konnekt(m): 1:49am On May 30, 2011
It takes monitoring and proper maintenance to sustaiin such project. One thing about our government is that they hardly maintain and sustain projects. Very soon now they will sign trilions or rather billions for purchase of new buses. Any way so far so good, the guy in Lagos is doing better as compared to many governors.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by tellwisdom: 1:53am On May 30, 2011
D tin show for your face, cos e be like sey na BRT u wan dey rely on now for transportation!! Dont cry me a river
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by olyivy(f): 1:53am On May 30, 2011
People on nairaland are gradually making it a taboo for anyone to see and complain about anything wrong in lag.

How will attacking the writer and poster answer the question or solve the issue raised in the report. Some of us actually live and experience these things so stop making it a crime to cricticise, it isnt helping the guvnor as u might think.

Almajiris!
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by tellwisdom: 2:04am On May 30, 2011
People on nairaland are gradually making it a taboo for anyone to see and complain about anything wrong in lag.

How will attacking the writer and poster answer the question or solve the issue raised in the report. Some of us actually live and experience these things so stop making it a crime to cricticise, it isnt helping the guvnor as u might think.

Almajiris!

You must be refering to someone or re u soliloquizing??
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Konnekt(m): 2:09am On May 30, 2011

How will attacking the writer and poster  answer the question or solve the issue raised in the report. Some of us actually live and experience these things so stop making it a crime to cricticise, it isnt helping the guvnor as u might think.

Almajiris!

You must be refering to someone or re u soliloquizing??
Of course he is doing the later, lol that guy is so frustrated with over dependent on BRT, i feel for you sha. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by ladej(m): 2:11am On May 30, 2011
mazamaza:

stop attacking the op,  he/she does not have to be specific in knowing what he/she means in this instance. I visited lagos last year and could not believe those were the same buses which gave decent transportation for the public just less that a couple of years ago. now heavily beat-down jalopies angry angry. the insides were incredibly dirty, torn seats and even the yellow handles to hold if standing were black,  I don't even want to begin with the outside. They have literally replaced the molues and it is painful to see the absolute lack of maintenance culture at every level.

What if they at least get cleaning companies to take charge of cleaning and find ways of making sure more careful drivers are chosen? These London buses have been here for ages and here they are still bright and shiny everyday. I know we can't just get there immediately but at least start from somewhere since it was initiated by the Lagos state government.

It was disheartening to see.
did u report it?
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by seanet02: 2:49am On May 30, 2011
Just before opening the thread i knew who could post this type of thrash and was not disappointed. Crap written by ibo dunce and posted by another gullible ibo dimwit. Majority of this i go hug transformer if Yoruba succeed people don't even know Fashola is not the owner of this buses.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by DisGuy: 2:55am On May 30, 2011
olyivy:

How will attacking the writer and poster  answer the question or solve the issue raised in the report. Some of us actually live and experience these things so stop making it a crime to cricticise, it isnt helping the guvnor as u might think.

Almajiris!

the same fisherwoman that will chop off your head if you criticise Jonathan , funny enough the piglet wont move to Bayelsa

Fashola should do something about this. He should build and ensure maintenance.

Why build what you can’t maintain? by Florence Amagiya

I visited Victoria Island recently. I didn’t take a cab because they can be very expensive in Lagos. Imagine flagging a cab and the driver tells you that your fare is N3,000.

I am sure you will be amazed and if you do not reside in Lagos. You might be tempted to ask if he is taking you out of the state. But if you live in Lagos, you might understand and bid lower or move on. So as I was saying, I boarded a BRT bus instead, which is fair and comfortable. The bus took me from the popular Ojuelegba bus station through CMS where l alighted

why should a governor build buses, what sort of pigeon-brain people do we have here?

s/he boarded a BRT that was fair and comfortable!!!

Vanguard is for fishermen
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by tellwisdom: 3:02am On May 30, 2011
Every problem now for lagos, fashola, dog die, fashola, yoruba man craze, fashola, light, na fashola And who says fashola owns these busess
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by seanet02: 3:11am On May 30, 2011
Imao at this ibo/Alaba/okrika/chinko/aba made journalist that wants Fashola to build and maintain buses. Second hand/biafra education indeed.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Nobody: 3:36am On May 30, 2011
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by vislabraye(m): 4:02am On May 30, 2011
Some people say she's Ibo envying Yoruba. just wait let the posts keep coming.

BRT bussses need to be maintained. This is not to undermine the work of Fashola in that aspect. QED. .
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by member479760: 7:36am On May 30, 2011
The poster, ofcourse na Igbo!

okay, if those maintenance guys are taking home $100 while doctors are taking home $2000 monthly then you will not only have this type of situation but dead-end situation.

Development is not only to invite chinco to build or buy machines for show but the ability to use the earlier to achieve continual valuable go which will only be achieved with continual maintaining the initial capital.

At this point, we need a break, good one indeed to revisit our transformation tools if we are applying the right one. our situation will not be different from those of other develop countries in achieving techno-development. Techno-know-how is on the hands of those that perform the dirty manual and auto jobs that has been considered not met for the intellectuals and their type in our society.
The wages gap between the two actually spell it out that we are still far from the beginning of our roadmap. This plaque will never encourage the young energetic intelligent one in the field of physical science in search of advancement via techno-know-how and hands-on in their occupation.

our dirty situation:

A whiteman prof. of mechanical engineer definitely know how to weld metal together but ours only know how to copy and paste and depend on those guys receiving $100 monthly to build the nation and still call dem illiterate.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Basics007: 7:45am On May 30, 2011
The mistake the original author of this article made was that he/she didnt specifically state what the problem was. But the thread doesnt necessarily have to degenerate into the ethnicity b.i.t.c.hfest it's gradually turnin into.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by ObamaUS: 7:45am On May 30, 2011
No wonder some of these naija graduates cannot become successful in life because of their shallow-mindedness and paranoia.
Must one bring tribalism[ibo-yoruba-hausa syndrome} to every discussion?Does anybody here own an ibo or yoruba passport?We all possess the NIGERIAN PASSPORT and until we see ourselves as one,we cannot achieve anything concrete in this country.

That is the same problem bedevilling our PDP leaders that is making them talk about power rotation between north and south.We still dont see ourselves as one.

AMERICA doesnot care if the next 20 presidents are from the state of Illinois or Arizona,provided he's an American.

I am a yoruba man and i dont bloody care if an Ibo man or hausa man rules nigeria for the next 1,000,000 years provided he provides good governance,

I would rather have an NGIGE ,DONALD DUKE or AMECHI rule Lagos state than ALAO-AKALA rule lagos state.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by hardywaltz(m): 8:30am On May 30, 2011
Nairaland sure is made up of Fools! So for the OP to complain about he/she experience is now a crime, well keep fooling urselves u dim wits and see nothing wrong in Lagos; as for those who have turned it into igbo/Yoruba fight it would be beyond ur reasoning capabilities to type something else.
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by tjbash(m): 8:42am On May 30, 2011
Tribalism or ethnicity 'twin problem' that fuels corruption in Nigeria.
Why are we criticizing the poster? It's her opinion that BRT is not as good as it used to be. This can be corrected.
It cannot be 100% ok
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Mynd44: 8:42am On May 30, 2011
Nobody is saying it is a crime to complain but the question if you would complain, you can also do  something to bring the sollution. CALL THOSE IN CHARGE
QED!!!!!!
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by Konnekt(m): 8:48am On May 30, 2011
No wonder some of these naija graduates cannot become successful in life because of their shallow-mindedness and paranoia.
Must one bring tribalism[ibo-yoruba-hausa syndrome} to every discussion?Does anybody here own an ibo or yoruba passport?We all possess the NIGERIAN PASSPORT and until we see ourselves as one,we cannot achieve anything concrete in this country.

That is the same problem bedevilling our PDP leaders that is making them talk about power rotation between north and south.We still dont see ourselves as one.

AMERICA doesnot care if the next 20 presidents are from the state of Illinois or Arizona,provided he's an American.

I am a yoruba man and i dont bloody care if an Ibo man or hausa man rules nigeria for the next 1,000,000 years provided he provides good governance,

I would rather have an NGIGE ,DONALD DUKE or AMECHI rule Lagos state than ALAO-AKALA rule lagos state.
Tell them, i wonder!
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by olyivy(f): 8:51am On May 30, 2011
Eko (axehole) Ile will not waste time to upload 3D images of these BRT buses (as fashola's achievement) if they were to be purchased in 3 years time by the state government BUT some idiots here will rather I blame Sanni Abacha for deteriorating BRT buses.

Yoruba almajiris!
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by satani22: 8:52am On May 30, 2011
Objectivity is gradually departing from nl. Whats wrong with observing&then calling attention. Fashola is trying,but  he still gets somethings wrong. Some Brt  are poo. Thats a fact. Buses turning ricket coupled wit bad attitude of officials. Brt is under lamata,ministry of transport upto fashola. Lets be objective
Re: Lagos Brt Buses Are Gradually Turning Into Molue, With No Remedy In Sight by playmode(m): 8:53am On May 30, 2011
Maintenance culture is something that is severely lacking in African countries and African neighborhoods.There is no single African nation that is black led that can boast of high infrastructural maintenance standards.This is the bitter honest truth.There are have been several transportation schemes in Lagos even before the time of Fashola and all of them have collapsed because of lack of maintainance.I remember when i was still in st gregorys's college in the early 1990s and i used to take the bus which were painted white and sky blue.I don't remember which Governor initiated that transportation scheme at that time. (EDIT) I think they were called marwa buses.

The buses were beautiful and fully air conditioned but alas within 2years the buses were in tatters.It is unfortunate and as much as i don't want to say it we as Africans /blacks have serious issues when it comes to maintaining anything.

Feel free to accuse me of inferiority complex but i still speak the truth.

Just compare black neighborhoods and whites neighborhoods in your respective countries of residence.

Predominantly black neighborhoods are usually dirty and crime infested while predominantly white neighborhoods are clean and secure

Same goes for black owned vehicles when compared to white owned vehicle.In most cases you prefer to buy a car previously owned by a white person because their cars are usually better maintained than a car that was previously owned by a black person.

Like i said earlier feel free to accuse to me of inferiority complex but you can not run away from the truth.It seems as black people and as Africans we just don't know how to run a country ,keep our neighborhoods clean ,maintain our homes,maintain our cars e.t.c As a race we have serious issues which we need to address individually one at a time.

It is shameful that out of 50+  countries in the world that are ruled by black leaders (with the exception of OBAMA) we just can't seem to get it right. Corruption ,Bad maintenance culture ,lawlessness,dictatorship ,election violence seems to be the order of the day.

To be honest with ourselves in a country like the USA ,Japan ,South Korea or England,Fashola will not be regarded as a special person because he is just doing what he was elected to do but in the crazy circumstances of this country called Nigeria Fashola seems to offer hope.

It will however be disastrous for us not to criticize him when part of his Government is failing.We should not treat Fashola as a demi GOD but should acknowledge his achievement while at the same time keeping him in check so that all these praises do not go to his head and make him feel invincible.Just like Fashola was unknown until he became Governor,there are several other unknown Lagosians who can perform even better than him.

I know what the OP is talking about because i have experienced something similar in my youth.Though the OP did not specify but common guys we all know what He/she was talking about.The word "falling apart" does not need any analyses before we understand what he/she means.Someone or a group of people need to notify Fashola's Government to do something about this otherwise the BRT will collapse after a few years and a new project similar to it will be initiated only for it to collapse again.

I respect Fashola and i admire what he has done so far.Hopefully someone in his Government is reading through this thread and pass this message to him so that he can take swift action to ensure that these buses are maintained properly.

Finally can we try to keep the tribalism on the down low.We Yorubas are not haters ,let us show other NLers that we are above tribalism.It is really bad for this forum.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Delta Youths Threaten Shutdown Oil / Breaking: APC Wins Ikwere LGA / Kano Government To Continue Investigating Emir Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.