Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% (8455 Views)

PHOTOS: Police Arrest Armed Robbers Who Hide Gun Inside A Loaf Of Bread In River / Nigeria Importation of Cars Drop By 20% - Bank of Industry / Whats Gej Doing With Agege Bread In Fec Meeting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 31, 2012
Man shall not live by bread alone but by every other food made from flour eg cake,doughnut,buns,meatpie,chin chin etc. undecidedthank you jesus!

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 31, 2012
Now i will go further to explain in clear details....all currencies are backed by the US dollars....so if the dollar is the 50% alcohol and more dollar is been printed to bail out the failing economies....it only means our own currencies which take thier value from the value of the dollar too will loose value....so as the dollar looses value so will the naira....so i will leave you with a write up i did on vision 202o and why i know it will fail....because the truth is only Gold has been increasing in value.....

Vision 2020:What has Gold got to do with it?
by Godfrey-Vire Ani on Thursday, 6 October 2011 at 13:55 ยท

* Public
* Friends (+)
* Friends except acquaintances
* Only me (+)
* Custom
* Close friends
* Forex Trader
* See all lists...
* STUDNET TECHNOLOGIES LTD
* Nigerian Navy Secondary School, Abeokuta, Ogun State
* Nigerian Navy Secondary School Abeokuta Ogun State Nigeria
* London Area
* Family
* Acquaintances
* Go Back

Vision 2020 is the development goals of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, to put the Nigerian economy amongst the top twenty economies of the world by the year 2020.This he believes could be achieved by massive infrastructural developments,so as to attract Foreign direct investments (FDI) to the Nigerian economy.

The Brentwood convention of 1944 put the United States dollar as the foreign reserve currency of all the different economies of the world.This agreement pegged all currencies in the world to the United States dollars based on its value to the United States gold reserves.This looked like a wonderful moment in the world because it made transactions between Nations easier, and as at then the US dollar was valued at $35 an ounce of gold.

Then came 1971, and President Richard Nixon of the United States, changed the rules of money and severed the dollar from its gold reserve, because the US economy couldn't meet its debts obligations, since its gold reserve was almost empty.

So rather than paying its creditors in gold based on the agreement of the Brentwood convention of 1948, the US government began paying in IOU coupons called bonds.This bond payments was based on the notion that as long as there is faith in the US government to meet its debts obligations, it could borrow all it wants to meet its financial spending of each year.

As bonds (debts) became the new export commodity of the US government, the price of gold began to steadily climb up, while the US dollar began a steady loss of its value.This gave birth to the coupling between the US dollar and gold, where as the price of gold increases the value of the US dollar decreases.

If the truth is to be told by our politicians the global meltdown started in the early months of the year 2000.So the price of gold began a steady rise from $251 an ounce to $ 900 an ounce by 2009, due to the lost of investor confidence that the US government can continue to print its way out of the debts problems, so creditors began to shy away from accepting US bonds as a means of payments.

The financial news was well managed by our politicians till the fall of the year 2007 when the measures used by the politicians to tackle the debts problem couldn't work, then all hell was let loose, and the Dow Jones came crashing which hard a rippling effects on all economies of the world.

As this began to happen all currencies in the world began a steady fall in value and this triggered a massive flow of foreign direct investments (FDIs) towards gold, taking the price of gold from a mere $251 dollars an ounce in the year 2000 to $1800 in the month of September 2011, with further rise to a possible $2866 an ounce by the year 2020, ironically this is the same year our President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan expects to achieve his goal of Nigeria being amongst the top twenty economies of the world.

The Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Lead government has started using the same formula President Richard Nixon of the United States government used during 1971 by exporting debts in the form of bonds by creating the Debt Management Office (DMO), to create bonds or rather IOUs and selling to creditors, so as to be able to finance his vision 2020 goals.

The recent recapitalization of the banks saw the Central bank of Nigeria creating money out of thin air by systematically using tax payers money to fund erring banks with the bank directors who caused the problems moving around freely and using every trick within the law to stay free.

Our so called state governors too have embraced, this formular of creating money out of thin air, to finance their various dreams, by creating so called state bonds.And the tax payer is made to bear the cost, of this expensive game, the people they think they voted for play.

The recent Euro-zone crisis, with Greece leading the way, and the debt ceiling of the US government hitting about $14 trillion dollars, will have a rippling effect, on the world's economy, and the flow of foreign direct investments (FDIs), causing a slow down of the world economy, and the eventual fall in the price of crude oil.

Lastly, the 2012 budget is bench marked at crude oil price selling at $75 per barrel.As we speak the Brent crude is about $78 per barrel and falling, due to a slow down of world economy, caused by the rippling effects of the eurozone and the inflow of foreign direct investments (FDIs) to gold.My question is how does President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan think he can achieve the vision 2020 with the stage set for much more economy uncertainties.Like all tall dreams of our politicians, Vision 2020 is certain to fail even from its take off point.

2 Likes

Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by kelvincoll(m): 11:05am On Aug 31, 2012
Man shall not live by wheat bread alone.. casssava bread dey! wink wink
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by JayKayMaybachz(m): 11:06am On Aug 31, 2012
undecidedGEJ cux am .... Make una talk naaaaa .... Everytin naa GEJ dey cux ... BTW naa only Lagos wen this the happen ?? undecided
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by ujukala: 11:11am On Aug 31, 2012
You have already been TAXED!
XVIER: Thank God i'm OVERSEA.
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Sijo01(f): 11:17am On Aug 31, 2012
Okiki_Oluwa: Please don't say this again. Garri is part of the live of Nigerians. It's our white gold.

To the topic; Hope Cassava Bread Bakers will not make this to affect the price of Garri.

My dear brother, remember bread use to be part of Nigerians life and a white gold to the poor in those days....... 5-10naira can buy you a good agege bread, but now, smh..... O ma se o.

Well, I pray they dont touch the price of garri, to avoid story that touch!
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Sijo01(f): 11:18am On Aug 31, 2012
Emmy9ite: when we get married grin grin grin

Get off my handle now that you still can.
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by taharqa: 11:20am On Aug 31, 2012
This 20% increase means a #50 bread becomes #60, a #100 bread becomes #120 and so on(like it has happend in many parts of d coun3). I dont why it shld increase at all cos d govt in additn to raising tariffs on importd wheat also concormitedly provided sm form of tax relief 4 dose companies dat wud blend wheat flour wit High Quality Cassava Flour(HQCF). Anyways, we shld put up wit dis marginal increases 4 now(cos it wud certainly go down) if it wud achieve its aim- reductn of d #630billion usd to presently import wheat 4rm d USA, creating wealth 4 cassava farmers nd jobs 4 processors, millers nd transporters of HQCF. We now produce almost 20million MT of cement 4rm 2million MT sm 6 yrs ago cos of dis kind of import substitution. We shld continue on dis path(and extend it to Fertilizers, Vegetable oil, Rice, Fish etc) as long as we stay on d course. We ought to be a Producing nation and less a Consuming one

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Elueme: 11:20am On Aug 31, 2012
Ok now. I have heard and i also know that there ll be no gains without pains.. Next topic
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Nosyke(m): 11:27am On Aug 31, 2012
How it affects the price of garri!!
Cassava will now be in high demand because of its flour that is used for bread baking, consequently, less cassava will be available for the production of garri. This implies that COST of GARRI will INCREAE ie affecting the price of garri adversely. Now this calls for concern by all well meaning garri liberation fighters.
I implore on the pro garri fighters to seriously protest this trend to avoid 'stories that touch the heart'
Aluta Ebanma....Victoria Ascerta!!!!

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by maclatunji: 11:28am On Aug 31, 2012
I am actually eating bread as I type this!
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by obimind(m): 11:34am On Aug 31, 2012
ogbeche77: Trust the garri crew to invade this thread
These garri talk has made me visit nairaland more often than ever. More grease to my fellow garri lovers.lol!!!
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by KingOfNairaland: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2012
Sijo01: When will they announce the increment in the price of garri?
Are you expecting that too? grin
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by KingOfNairaland: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2012
maclatunji: I am actually eating bread as I type this!
Na lie jor
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by KingOfNairaland: 11:36am On Aug 31, 2012
Sijo01:

My dear brother, remember bread use to be part of Nigerians life and a white gold to the poor in those days....... 5-10naira can buy you a good agege bread, but now, smh..... O ma se o.

Well, I pray they dont touch the price of garri, to avoid story that touch!
Why are you so concern about this garri issue? ehen! babe? grin
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by yohannazack(m): 11:36am On Aug 31, 2012
Vire i agree wit ur analysis, and submision. I wish to further say that, our leaders lack focus, they dont knw wat to do to stablize our economy, all they do is to compare themselves wit china, singapore, america, japan brazil, india, thereby introducin polices dat are not achieveable in nigeria given the nature of nigerian economy and even the nigerian people. Instead of learnin frm countries like ghana, s/africa, kenya, and other african countries that we share so many thins in common. The so called super world economies are different frm us, but i think we can easily learn frm our felow black nations. Except if there is more to wat they do wit those powerful economies to wat we think. Im not an economist, pls sombody can help me xplain dis . I wan to ask.
1.That wat does the united nations uses to rate a country's economy, particularly as it concerns the yr 202020?
2. Fo a country to be among the 20th world economy, wat is it dat dis country nids to put in place?
3. Is nigeria positioned to meet the target?
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 31, 2012
free2ryhme: now dat the price of bread has increased by 20% .. I bet we will witness a significant increase in the PRICE OF CASSAVA FLAKES proportionately. cheesy cheesy

Finally.
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 31, 2012
Wao! Wahala Dey ooo! I should have bought one container of Bread yesterday when I had the opportunity, now that the price has being increased, what will I use to munch my "agonyi Beans?"
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by free2ryhme: 11:45am On Aug 31, 2012
bahaullah: THE ONLY OPTION IS TO CAV YOUR OWN BREAD WITH WAT EVER TOOL U HAVE IN THIS GOD FORSAKEN GEOGRAPHY CALLED NIGERIA

y your mouth no good like dis .. HABA
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by Toktee(m): 11:46am On Aug 31, 2012
gulfer: [size=20pt]Why Lagos alone? [/size] What about other states?
Na bicos yoruba and igbo 2 the chop,no offence intended pls
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by yomatty(m): 11:48am On Aug 31, 2012
beans go turn popular demand
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by crackhouse(m): 11:49am On Aug 31, 2012
XVIER: Thank God i'm OVERSEA.
so u want to tell me that Gambia is better than Nigeria, eh?
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by adeshina86: 11:49am On Aug 31, 2012
pls Not 2 be increase, it has already bin increased, was preparing 4 ofiz and ready 4 my breakfast as usual, sent 4 value bread that goes for #200 b4 now #220, its so painful, b4 GEJ came in2 power, value bread was 130, now #220 its so so painful, cnt do witout bread evrydai.
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by KingOfNairaland: 11:52am On Aug 31, 2012
Toktee: Na bicos yoruba and igbo 2 the chop,no offence intended pls
What a creature!
Re: Price Of Bread In Lagos To Be Increased By 20% by KingOfNairaland: 11:59am On Aug 31, 2012
berem: Man shall not live by bread alone but by every other food made from flour eg cake,doughnut,buns,meatpie,chin chin etc. undecidedthank you jesus!
Lmao!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Iwuanyanwu Dismisses Igbo Presidency In 2015 / Emir: Policeman Led Kaduna Killer Gang / Ike Ekweremadu Celebrates His 54th Birthday Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.