Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:02 AM

Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice (9380 Views)

Obedience Is Key ~ Pastor William Kumuyi / Bme 2: Obedience Is More Acceptable Than Sacrifice / Obedience and church work! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 31, 2012
Brethren :

You can sacrifice your time for fellowship and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can spend all your money on the church projects and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can even give all your goods to the poor and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can pay tithes and offerings and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can pray as loud as possible, fast for 40 days and 40 nights still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can speak in the tongues of angels and men and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can have the correct doctrine and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom
You can know the bible from Genesis to Revelation and still be counted as lawless in God's kingdom

Why you may ask, please read :

"But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams."

God wants obedience first not sacrifice.

If we want to show our Love for God we have to obey his word, period.

Going to church will not excuse your SIN, answering bro or sis will not earn you God's favour, singing in the choir will not make you acceptable in God's eyes when you are still living in SIN.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command." - John 14:15

John 14:21 Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

John 15:10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love.

10 Likes

Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by thehomer: 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2012
Obedience towards who? The prophet, the Bible, your conscience, your parents, God's voice in your head? Who exactly?
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
God of course !

And God speaks through his word, your conscience and may other ways.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by thehomer: 12:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel: God of course !

And God speaks through his word, your conscience and may other ways.

So when you say God, you really mean the Bible? If so, how should I treat the man I saw working on the Sabbath?
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2012
thehomer:

So when you say God, you really mean the Bible? If so, how should I treat the man I saw working on the Sabbath?

Sabbath ?

Treat him well.

1 Like

Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by thehomer: 12:48pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel:

Sabbath ?

Treat him well.

The Bible says kill him. So who do we obey? God through the Bible or frosbel?
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by megxo(m): 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2012
thehomer:

nice question, oya frosbel, ansa!
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2012
thehomer:

We are talking about the old testament , right ? It is a sign that God takes disobedience to his laws seriously and yet knowing how weak we are in keeping his commands , has made a way for us through Christ to meet the requirements of his commands.

Anyhow Jesus Christ is our Sabbath.

Mark 2:27
"And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, AND NOT man for the Sabbath:Therefore the Son of man, is Lord, and also of the sabbath."

And this God who you so malign ,is the same on who through Christ performed good works and deeds on the Sabbath day for which he was accused.

By the way Homerboy, we are in the 21st century now and living out the new testament , not some [b]5000BC [/b]Jewish practice grin
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by stillme(m): 1:33pm On Aug 31, 2012
@op,had it been u waited a minute to open this thread,it would have been too late. Good ones think alike. Kudos!
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Agiliti(m): 1:40pm On Aug 31, 2012
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 31, 2012
I CANT WAIT TO HEAR WHAT THE 'DADDY G.O, PAPA, ETC' NUT RIDERS HAVE 2 SAY ABOUT THIS THREAD.
OP! GOODLUCK 2 U MAN
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by mkmyers45(m): 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel:

We are talking about the old testament , right ? It is a sign that God takes disobedience to his laws seriously and yet knowing how weak we are in keeping his commands , has made a way for us through Christ to meet the requirements of his commands.

"And he said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, AND NOT man for the Sabbath:Therefore the Son of man, is Lord, and also of the sabbath."

And this God who you so malign ,is the same on who through Christ performed good works and deeds on the Sabbath day for which he was accused.

By the way Homerboy, we are in the 21st century now and living out the new testament , not some [b]5000BC [/b]Jewish practice grin

How then do we observe Sabbath?
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by MMM2(m): 2:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
Serious
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by peziz(f): 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2012
D does not imply that jesus is d sabbath; it said lord of the sabbath. Is there a verse in d bible to forsake d teaching of d OT? Y do we xtians believe in living out the NT when questions like d type one of d posters asked u? I don't get it.
frosbel:

is sabbath not a day d same bible said God rested and blessed after creation? When did jesus become sabbath? D passage you quote
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by mkmyers45(m): 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
To an extent isn't being obedient a sacrifice?
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by deols(f): 2:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
Igboran san ju ebo ruru lo.

but don't all of those sacrifices end up being an obedience to a command?

well, I'd say shahada(attesting to the oneness of God and belief in his messenger) is d most important thing to do. Other acts of worship follow.

1 Like

Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Deleahmed: 2:23pm On Aug 31, 2012
Yes, it's right there in the Bible, than obedient is better than sacrifice and its even one of the greatest warnings in this life. Always look before you leap. In anything one is doing, you have to consider that.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 31, 2012
peziz: D does not imply that jesus is d sabbath; it said lord of the sabbath. Is there a verse in d bible to forsake d teaching of d OT? Y do we xtians believe in living out the NT when questions like d type one of d posters asked u? I don't get it. is sabbath not a day d same bible said God rested and blessed after creation? When did jesus become sabbath? D passage you quote

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day." -
Colossians 2:16

The Sabbath represents rest from works on this earth. The true Sabbath is not Sunday or Saturday , but out final rest from all our works on this earth.

In other words God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th day. What this means is that for us as Christians there is also a day of rest when we would have completed our earthly works in this temporary world.

"By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work." - Genesis 2:2

Our rest is in Christ Jesus after we must have completed our works on this earth. He is the LORD of our REST (SABBATH ) .

He is the ONLY [/b]one that grants true [b]REST [/b]from works and is therefore rightly called the LORD of the SABBATH. If we obey him we will also enter into his [b]REST.

As for the wicked there is NO REST but restlessness , unease and punishment.

Isaiah 57:21 "There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."

Now back to my point, Jesus Christ is the Lord of our future and final rest or sabbath, the scripture below illustrates this better ( Always look at the OT as anti-type of the new. Therefore the sabbath rest in the OT is tranlated to mean the following in the NT ) :

Hebrews 4
Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Revelation 14:13 Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them."

Only God can give true rest, rest from our earthly mundane works, rest from our works of righteousness , rest from the turbulence of this earthly life.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 31, 2012
The rules have changed man.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by ujukala: 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2012
To obey is better than to sacrifice. My seniors used that sentence in secondary school. After flogging you, they will remind you of the sentence!
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2012
deols: Igboran san ju ebo ruru lo.

but don't all of those sacrifices end up being an obedience to a command?

My sister how now grin

Sacrifice is only valid after obedience.

For example there are children that will sweep the house, wash the plates, take care of the little ones and still disobey their parents by insulting them , rudeness, rejecting their advice, following bad friends.

I tell you as a Dad , all their good works count for nothing, because they have gone to do what in their opinion was right and ignored what should be right in deed.

Case in point :

"In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes." - Judges 21:25

That these Israelites did what was right in their eyes was not in the actual sense right in God's eyes. God demands obedience and then sacrifice.

Christ Jesus obeyed the father all the way to the cross and his works ( crucifixion ) was counted for righteousness. If Christ had disobeyed the father his suffering would have been invalid.

well, I'd say shahada(attesting to the oneness of God and belief in his messenger) is d most important thing to do. Other acts of worship follow.

God is ONE, Amen.

But repeating God is ONE for all eternity will not save you.

Obedience is want counts.

Peace !!
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
Thanks so much for this post. The Lord will richly bless you. You have said it all, short and concise. To obey God is to worship HIM. To obey Him is to love Him. To obey Him is to serve Him. We can't say we are God's children or Christians if we don't obey Him. If we obey God we cannot live in sin. He who is born of God does not sin for His seed remains in Him: and he cannot sin because he is born of God (1 John 3:9). Whatever we say we do for God and yet live in sin we are only wasitng our time. This is an opportunity to go to the cross of Jesus Christ and have our old man crucified, in order to put on a new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness (Eph 4:24).
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by browncool(m): 3:00pm On Aug 31, 2012
[img][/img]

Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
browncool: [img][/img]

Well it depends on what you mean by right .

Right in this context means what is right in God's eyes not your eyes.

For example marrying 7 wives might be right to you , but not culturally acceptable and therefore wrong, or marrying two same sex people might be right to you while in society it is seen as an abomination , therefore making it wrong.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by thehomer: 4:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel:

If he knew people were weak, then why institute those laws in the first place? Isn't this simply deliberately setting things up so that we fail?

frosbel:

This is not possible. The Sabbath is a day while Jesus is supposed to be a person. A person cannot also be a day.

frosbel:

Are you saying that we're to ignore the laws in the old testament? I ask because Jesus himself doesn't say this.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
thehomer:

If he knew people were weak, then why institute those laws in the first place? Isn't this simply deliberately setting things up so that we fail?

"These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." - Colossians 2:17

This is not possible. The Sabbath is a day while Jesus is supposed to be a person. A person cannot also be a day.

Sabbath is REST.

Jesus is the LORD of the SABBATH or REST , he it is that grants or refuses to grant rest !

Are you saying that we're to ignore the laws in the old testament? I ask because Jesus himself doesn't say this.

What Laws specifically ? we had ritualistic laws which were only applicable to the Jews , we also had moral laws.

However 2 Laws stated by Christ are a total fulfilment of the entire moral law according to God's purpose.

The Greatest Commandment

Matthew 22
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by thehomer: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2012
frosbel:

"These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ." - Colossians 2:17

This is a non-sequitur. It doesn't address what you're supposed to be responding to.

frosbel:
Sabbath is REST.

Jesus is the LORD of the SABBATH or REST , he it is that grants or refuses to grant rest !

No, Sabbath is a day of rest. See here.

frosbel:
What Laws specifically ? we had ritualistic laws which were only applicable to the Jews , we also had moral laws.

However 2 Laws stated by Christ are a total fulfilment of the entire moral law according to God's purpose.

The Greatest Commandment

Matthew 22
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Laws like keeping the Sabbath day holy, not taking the lord's name in vain, kill witches, kill homosexuals, kill children for changing their religion etc.

According to Jesus, who is your neighbour? I ask because I don't see people giving all their possessions to the poor to follow Jesus' teachings.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by AdeniyiA(m): 5:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
mkmyers45: To an extent isn't being obedient a sacrifice?
u ar right.
avoiding worldly njoyment e.g fornication,drinking etc is a sacrificial obedience to divine injunctions by denying d urges for them.
meanwhile,som ppl never appreciate wat they never sweat for or never cost them smtin. so some (by choice) had to disobey n make sacrifices inorder to appreciate d importance of being obedient - such ppl learn d hard way
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by stagger: 6:20pm On Aug 31, 2012
thehomer:

Which bible? the one your father wrote or the one you wrote?
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by Goshen360(m): 6:28pm On Aug 31, 2012
stagger:

grin grin grin just passing bye o. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by thehomer: 7:17pm On Aug 31, 2012
stagger:

Why don't you Christians read your Bibles? Check Exodus 31:15.

No wonder research shows that generally, atheists know more about religions than religious people.
Re: Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice by NAJALYN: 7:25pm On Aug 31, 2012
@poster, you have said it all. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent / 1,300 Join Facebook Protest Over Pastor Ashimolowo's KICC Church / Forgive & Forget: I Don't Forget, Does That Mean I Have Not Forgiven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.