Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,050 members, 7,814,603 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? (7153 Views)

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / A different View on COZA Sex Scandal / Common Denomination In Church Offering Bags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by sphinxx(m): 1:13pm On Jan 04, 2008

I met a girl recently who told me she was really keen on meeting and dating someone new with a view to getting married within the next two yrs. We got talking, i like her, and i think she likes me too. However, the only clause is that she said because i'm from a christian denomination different from hers, she wouldnt like to go on with the relationship. What do u think of this pple?
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by Seun(m): 1:21pm On Jan 04, 2008
What denomination specifically? How can you get along in marriage if you're going to different churches?
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by TheSly: 1:25pm On Jan 04, 2008
everybody has his/her own ways of lookin at things and making decisions. . . .it might not be favourable to others but it certainly gonna be iight with them. . . so bro! thats how it goes!. . . maybe that was how she was trained by her parent!. . . cool cool
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by sphinxx(m): 1:35pm On Jan 04, 2008
I think some pple, esp ladies make say that as an excuse when they find the slightest reason to back out from a relationship but dont know how to say it to the other party. Perhaps,

I dont see know why religion should be a very serious hindrance if there is very strong love between a couple.

The whole thing makes me wonder.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by Seun(m): 1:38pm On Jan 04, 2008
Religion is a serious hindrance to every aspect of life. Why won't it be a serious hindrance to marriage? And "Love" is not everything. It is just a fleeting emotion. "Love" will evaporate when disaster strikes.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by lafile(m): 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2008
Religion is important in Relationship and Marriage. Most people do not understand that marriage is as much a spiritual union as it is physical. You can have an eternal union with someone who has different spiritual views from yours. It just wont work. A Christian who believes Jesus is the only way to God cannot marry a Bhuddist who believes something else or a Muslim who believes that Jesus was just a prophet. It just wont work.

However denomination isn't that important as long as your fundamental beliefs are the same. A Christian who believes in God and the concept of Trinity, who believes in the redemptive work of Christ on the cross of calvary and a future in Heaven can marry any other christian with the same beliefs. I know so many. I know friends from Redeemed who have married people from denominations as diverse as deeper life, house on the rock, daystar and rhema.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:03pm On Jan 04, 2008
@ sphinxx

I don't see know why religion should be a very serious hindrance if there is very strong love between a couple.

Let me ask you a question. Whose love is more important to you, Christ's or the lady's? If Christ says only yoke with those who share your beliefs, or faith, then why would you do otherwise? Paul asks the logical question, can two walk together unless they agree?

Its always the same results. When the novelty of how you feel begins to fade, and the issue of doctrines arise, which they will, how would you handle it?

Choose wisely and you will have no regrets.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by dimpules: 9:43am On Jan 05, 2008
there is nothing wrong just that at some point there will be disagreements and misunderstandings cos of religion.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by pilgrim1(f): 10:02am On Jan 05, 2008
People have simply created problems for themselves where there ought not to be. Denominationalism has become the bane of our society today that its ferocious choppers are seen every faucet of life.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by Kobojunkie: 2:35am On Jan 08, 2008
sphinxx:

I think some people, esp ladies make say that as an excuse when they find the slightest reason to back out from a relationship but don't know how to say it to the other party. Perhaps,

I don't see know why religion should be a very serious hindrance if there is very strong love between a couple.

I think you have a lot to learn, my friend. By the statements you have made yourself in here, I am guessing the denomination excuse was just what she decided to use to get away from you since she may have concluded that you have not learnt much about God and why he is of great importance in the lives in many out there @Sphinxx. Religion is a part of many out there. There are many who live and breath for their God and are not willing to step aside from that belief to please any human being. I happen to be one of those myself. I believe the best life ever is the life lived obeying and honoring my God in all things. Are all those who claim to be Christians or have a denomination all in the same bus as I am, CAPITAL NO. Will anyone do just cause the person CLAIMS to be Christian too?? CAPITAL NO. So you see, you have to try see things through her own eyes and maybe check yourself to understand what it was that really put her off you in this case or it could simply have been that she did not share the same ideas of being together as you did. I mean only God knows huh?? so best you ask him if you are connected to him.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by Nobody: 4:58am On Jan 08, 2008
There's nothing wrong in marrying someone from a different denomination but you have to put into consideration the different doctrines and beliefs in today's church and marriage is no joke. You might think this issue as a minute one now but it will tell on you after marriage. A girl that goes to House on the Rock would be out of place in Deeper life church. Your church beliefs has to rhyme with your partner's that is if you want a peaceful home.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by richmab: 12:17pm On Aug 13, 2008
Denominations vary greatly, especially if their statements of faith may appear contradictory. If a pentecostal was to marry a methodist or baptist, they may have certain arguments where issues like water baptism, Holy Ghost baptism, interpretation of scripture and much more are concerned. However if the two partners reach a mature understanding of the nature of Christianity, I dare say that their differences in demoninations could be put aside in order that they may focus on reaching heaven. Afterall, eternity with Christ is the consolation of any believer in God.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by SENATORJD(m): 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2008
as long as doctrines would differ and approaches to situations would differ then there might be something wrong with it.
if u believe in speaking in tongues for example and she doesnt,if u wake up at night and start that she might think u're insane.
if she believes in regular holy communion,but u believe in once in a blue moon communion,then there would be issues.
it's best u take someone that u both share same beliefs that way agreements to issues would be better.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by clemsongrl: 6:14pm On Apr 08, 2009
question? Is it a bad idea to marry someone who is a pentecostal when you are a baptist? I know they both believe in God, but when it comes to how to be saved, the views are different, Im in a relationship and this is the case.  My partners family is very much pentecostal and and I feel like an outcast whe Im at their church and their ways are very different from mine.  They follow a certain dress code and are very different from me and the things I as a baptist believe. My partner and I argue over churches, and the tongue talking topic.  He refuses to go to a baptist church if we were married.  We talk about a common ground like Church of God but I dont know how long he would go with that until he wants to go to a pentecostal church again!  I worry how we would explain salvation to our kids one day and how we would grow spiritually as a couple if our views on being saved and interpretations of the bible are different? Sometimes I think im making too big of a deal out of this difference but i cant get it off my mind and cant seem to stop worrying about it! any advice
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by mazaje(m): 6:18pm On Apr 08, 2009
clemsongrl:

question? Is it a bad idea to marry someone who is a pentecostal when you are a baptist? I know they both believe in God, but when it comes to how to be saved, the views are different, Im in a relationship and this is the case.  My partners family is very much pentecostal and and I feel like an outcast whe Im at their church and their ways are very different from mine.  They follow a certain dress code and are very different from me and the things I as a baptist believe. My partner and I argue over churches, and the tongue talking topic.  He refuses to go to a baptist church if we were married.  We talk about a common ground like Church of God but I dont know how long he would go with that until he wants to go to a pentecostal church again!  I worry how we would explain salvation to our kids one day and how we would grow spiritually as a couple if our views on being saved and interpretations of the bible are different? Sometimes I think im making too big of a deal out of this difference but i cant get it off my mind and cant seem to stop worrying about it! any advice

na today?. . . . .
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by clemsongrl: 8:11pm On Apr 08, 2009
yeah today lol
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by Horus(m): 8:21pm On Apr 08, 2009
The churches are all competing against one another. There are churches who are of the same denomination, in the same town, the same diocese, which mean they have the same beliefs and worship the same God. Yet, they never come together. What is so ironic is that these churchgoers all feel that church is the place for unification and love.
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by C2H5OH(f): 9:16am On Apr 09, 2009
Contrary to what Mr. Seun has said, love is not just an "emotion", it is just commonly accompanied by strong feelings.

Loving relationships wouldn't survive on mere "emotions"; it's deeper than that .
Re: What's Wrong With Marrying Someone Of A Different Denomination? by MrCrackles(m): 9:22am On Apr 09, 2009
I dont see the big wussie fuss or deal in it!

Marry who you love and who your heart yearns for!

(1) (Reply)

Intercontinental Bank Boss Erastus Akingbola's Life As Redeemed Church Pastor / Five Bible Verses To Strenthen Your Marriage / Do You Believe In Deliverance?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.