Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,416 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? (14272 Views)

Tips On Vigina Yeast Infection And How To Treat It With Garlic / "Joystick" Hygiene – What To Do And What To Avoid. / Help! How Do I Solve My Bleeding Gums Issue Locally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jan 04, 2008
I have seen a lot of people of colour with very dark gums and these same people happen to have very white teeth. My question is: can the darkness be related to some kind of infection? Because I saw an advertisement in which they said the the colour of healthy gums is pink.

In what way is the colour related to the healthiness of your mouth and to the whiteness of the teeth?
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by almondjoy(f): 3:35pm On Jan 04, 2008
No. It is only a sign of "hyperpigmentation"! Melanin.

Have no fear. They are kissable not rotten! kiss
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 04, 2008
almondjoy:

No. It is only a sign of "hyperpigmentation"! Melanin.

Have no fear. They are kissable not rotten! kiss

I don't have dark gums. But my former hairdresser had and mum's friend just find them nasty as they were extremely dark
But the lady happened to have very white teeth.

Yes, it must be melanin.
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by ifyalways(f): 4:12pm On Jan 04, 2008
dark gums are caused by melanin,carotene and hemoglobin imbalances.
just like A.J has said,its not an infection/disease,they are kissable/ok.  kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by Busta(f): 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2008
Don't know at "hyperpigmentation" means but i don't think they mean ur gums are infected either.
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by adekennis(m): 12:50pm On Jan 05, 2008
What does kiss mean angry
pls enlighten wink
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by chychy(f): 2:15pm On Jan 11, 2008
adekennis:

What does kiss mean angry
please enlighten wink

Adekennis, na wah 4 u n ur question oh
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by TayoD1(m): 7:14pm On Jan 11, 2008
@adekennis,

What does kiss mean
It's an acronym for [b]K[/b]eep [b]I[/b]t [b]S[/b]imple [b]S[/b]tupid! wink
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by dot2002(m): 10:10pm On Jan 15, 2008
wink wink wink omo so ju abi nko, no leg shakers here.
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by Uzzyan: 10:40pm On Jan 15, 2008
Tayo who gave u that definition
Re: Are Dark Gums Sings Of Infection And Bad Oral Hygiene? by realdentist(f): 3:29pm On Apr 17, 2015
michelin89:
I have seen a lot of people of colour with very dark gums and these same people happen to have very white teeth. My question is: can the darkness be related to some kind of infection? Because I saw an advertisement in which they said the the colour of healthy gums is pink.

In what way is the colour related to the healthiness of your mouth and to the whiteness of the teeth?

Dark gums are not a sign of infection. Rather infected/inflamed gums are red in colour and bleed while brushing. When there is increased amount of melanin pigment (which gives us our dark skin) in the gums, this results in the dark appearance of the gums and most times because of the contrast, the teeth may appear whiter than in people without dark gums.
See www.freedentals.com for free dental health advice

(1) (Reply)

Does Burantashi Actually Work? / Why Does It Hurt When He Enters Me? 7 Top Reasons / Where Can I Donate Blood And Kidney And Get Paid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.