Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,211 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) - Fashion (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) (340800 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / Grow Your Natural Hair Long / The Beauty Of Shea Butter(ori)(kadanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by fexichi(f): 8:25pm On Nov 20, 2013
Yield: Personally, I never transitioned so I didn't experience dealing with two textures. I know some people who transition do protective styles. I believe Kails/MzD/Chokl8 is transitioning; she would probably be the best to advice you, but she has disappeared again cry cry. With transitioning, you want to make sure your hair isn't breaking off at the line of demarcation (this's where your natural and relaxed hair meets). Keep on top of your deep conditioning game to help keep your strong. Keep your hair moisturized. I do know some naturals who transitioned for a year and their natural hair thrived wonderfully, so it can be done. Maybe others here who have transitioned can share their experiences or when I get to my laptop later (using my phone right now) I will do some searches for you.
thanks! I really would appreciate. Its hard to get most products in Eastern Nigeria but i guess i will have to big chop before I am temted to relax again. my fear is that i'l look very funny.lol. i'l upload what my hair looks like now.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by beautifulynappy(f): 8:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
For all of you who get and itchy scalp or allergies from weaves and braids and synthetic attachment please watch this it might be useful! Enjoy www.beautifullynappy.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pXx2N54ic4&list=PLyaqid2R4zJJGAyj7-klJ74tWhcvbkGDR

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 6:13am On Nov 21, 2013
fexichi:
I have been transitioning for 18 months now. i dont have a regimen as its hard for me to get good products . please what products do you recommend? my hair is thick and not very easy to tame. I do need your help. thanks!
fexichi:
thanks! I really would appreciate. Its hard to get most products in Eastern Nigeria but i guess i will have to big chop before I am temted to relax again. my fear is that i'l look very funny.lol. i'l upload what my hair looks like now.
Sure, if you want to post what your hair looks like, that would be great. Don't worry; I bet you'll look just fine! Since it's hard for you to get good products, maybe it would be best for you to do the big chop? That way, you would only be working with a twa, less hassle.
But if you're not comfortable cutting it, no pressure! Take your time!
. Mayonnaise can be used as a moisturizing deep conditioner, if you can't get your hands on anything else. To make it a protein deep conditioner, add eggs and a 2-3 tbsps of any oil of your choice to it.

Transitioning to Natural hair care Regimen
Here are some useful tips on how to wash, condition and dry your hair whilst you're growing out a relaxer.

Products Required
-Sulphate free shampoo or Conditioner
-Deep moisturizing conditioner
-Deep protein conditioner
-Hair moisturizer
-Natural oil – coconut oil/Extra virgin olive oil

_________

-Wash hair with shampoo or conditioner. (Do not pile hair on top of your head to wash - leads to tangles)
-Repeat if necessary.
-Rinse.
-Deep condition your hair with heat for 20 -30 mins, use a plastic cap and hot towel or hood dryer.(optional add Castor oil/and or shea butter to your deep conditioner)
-Finger comb/detangle whilst deep conditioner is still in hair.
-Rinse with warm running to cold water this will help the close the cuticle,, retain moisture and shine.
-Remove excess water by wrapping a towel or better still an old t-shirt around your head gently squeeze and then let it sit and absorb the excess water for 5-10 mins.
-Apply a leave-in conditioner/moisturizer
-Apply a natural oil to your hair such as coconut oil or Extra virgin olive oil.
-Comb thru with a wide tooth comb.

Due to the fragile nature of the hair at the demarcation line it is very important to handle the hair very gently . No rough rubbing your hair with towels or harsh combing. Always choose a wide tooth comb to comb your hair or finger comb. Select styling methods that require minimal manipulation of the hair and minimal heat such as twist/braid outs as previously mentioned. This will work to reduce hair breakage. Concentrate on boosting the moisture levels in your hair. Having hair which is well conditioned and full of moisture is essential if you are to transition smoothly. Do this by washing your hair weekly and deep conditioning with heat for 20 - 30 mins each time. After washing and conditioning your hair, air dry it whenever possible. Air drying is the best way to retain moisture in your hair. The next best way to dry your hair is to wet set, on rollers for smooth styles, straw set, or cornrow set. Keep the straighteners and curling irons for occasional use don’t use daily. If you have to use them choose the lowest setting to get the job done, also ensure that if you use a blow dryer it is set on cool.

source: africurl.com

P.S: If your hair is thick, instead of coconut oil/extra virgin olive oil, use a heavy butter like shea butter to seal in moisture smiley. Sealing in moisture is using a natural oil or heavy butter like shea butter on your hair, after moisturizing. This'll help keep the moisture in your hair. And, don't forget to trim your hair gradually.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 7:01am On Nov 21, 2013
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by fexichi(f): 7:37am On Nov 21, 2013
Yield:

Sure, if you want to post what your hair looks like, that would be great. Don't worry; I bet you'll look just fine! Since it's hard for you to get good products, maybe it would be best for you to do the big chop? That way, you would only be working with a twa, less hassle.
But if you're not comfortable cutting it, no pressure! Take your time!
. Mayonnaise can be used as a moisturizing deep conditioner, if you can't get your hands on anything else. To make it a protein deep conditioner, add eggs and a 2-3 tbsps of any oil of your choice to it. .[/i]
great help, thanks. sori i couldnt upload picture
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 7:50am On Nov 21, 2013
fexichi:
great help, thanks. sori i couldnt upload picture
No prob. Good luck.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Meddler(f): 9:27am On Nov 21, 2013
^^ Yield has said everything. there are home made treatments u can make and the ingredients are readily available. the Mayonnaise treatment is a good deep conditioner, add 1 egg yolk, some honey and olive and u have a deep protein conditioner treatment.
for deep moisturizing treatment try Shea butter, honey, oil (olive or coconut) and any cheap conditioner u have mix them up and apply to hair. let it sit for a while and rinse.
I use the treatment above for my hair as well as black soap for my shampoo. its less drying for the hair.
twisting or braiding the hair after sealing in moisture is usually the best way to lock in moisture.
wish u good luck on ure journey.

p.s. Yield completely in love with ure yarn braids. u did an awesome job.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Nov 21, 2013
Meddler: ^^ Yield has said everything. there are home made treatments u can make and the ingredients are readily available. the Mayonnaise treatment is a good deep conditioner, add 1 egg yolk, some honey and olive and u have a deep protein conditioner treatment.
for deep moisturizing treatment try Shea butter, honey, oil (olive or coconut) and any cheap conditioner u have mix them up and apply to hair. let it sit for a while and rinse.
I use the treatment above for my hair as well as black soap for my shampoo. its less drying for the hair.
twisting or braiding the hair after sealing in moisture is usually the best way to lock in moisture.
wish u good luck on ure journey.

p.s. Yield completely in love with ure yarn braids. u did an awesome job.

cheesycheesycheesycheesy

Thank you, Meddler!! smiley smiley smiley
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by caramel13: 8:49am On Nov 22, 2013
Someone should pls answer me abt the henna n indigo.plsssss
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
fexichi:
I have been transitioning for 18 months now. i dont have a regimen as its hard for me to get good products . please what products do you recommend? my hair is thick and not very easy to tame. I do need your help. thanks!

Where do you stay? If it's possible you can order some products online. For transitioning hair, you need products that will hydrate your hair and provide good slip for easy detangling.
Recommended products are
Keracare Cleansing Cream or As I Am Cowash cleanser for shampoo.
For conditioners, I recommend Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Conditioner or Aussie Moist 3 Minute Conditioners. The slip is amazing.
For leave in conditioner, I recommend Cantu Shea Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream. a little goes a long way and when absorbed keeps most Nigerian natural hair soft.
For oil depending on how thick your hair is, I recommend grape seed or jojoba oil if your hair is very fine or castor/coconut oil/ Shea butter if your hair is medium to thick stranded.

Hope this helped. For more info, pls go to www.nappilynigeriangirl..com
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by akpananiefiok(m): 9:46am On Nov 23, 2013
Get affordable 100% virgin human
hair pieces as low as N8000! Delivery
nationwide
Read More:
http:///
social/174/1463
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Originalsly: 2:30pm On Nov 23, 2013
Beautiful pics! I'm a guy and still can't understand why so many women believe that men are more impressed with wigs or weaves. Lauryn Hill was warned by so many not to carry dreadlocks since that would affect her market appeal....she held her own and ended up as the top Black woman to grace the covers of the glossy magazines. Be proud of what you have.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Meddler(f): 4:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
My havana twist. Love not having to deal with my hair for now.

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by temiteewhy: 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
Been transitioning for 4months now. Need a cheap conditioner and leave in dat is available in Lagos n very affordable.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 2:28am On Nov 25, 2013

Natural hair straightened and bunned.

3 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by sylar129: 1:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
she's just too sexy...I kind of love her... grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by lepasharon(f): 9:14pm On Nov 25, 2013
Black women are just beautiful ! smiley See how exotic we look with our natural hair ? nd our dark skin combined ..nahh we the best wink

2 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by angelarababy(f): 5:10am On Nov 26, 2013
keep it natural and classy!! kiss

[img]http://3.bp..com/-G9MqWVofqbs/Tp06fan2enI/AAAAAAAAARA/LVlI5D6cgo0/s1600/short-hairstyles-for-black-women.jpg[/img]

[img]http://s0.wp.com/imgpress?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsoniceclectic.com%2Ffiles%2F2010%2F10%2Fconya_doss_afro_crop.jpg&w=604[/img]
The second one with a wig .
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 26, 2013
Wow glad I found this thread!...am just 2months into transitioning! And am uber excited! grin
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Tonetonz(f): 2:58pm On Nov 26, 2013
For a casual and edgy look..au naturale

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by ogedazzle: 4:43pm On Nov 26, 2013
ankara and accessory bags an clutches,@ affordable prices oge;07039375005,27d4c504

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 26, 2013
Angelarababy - That's Lauryn Hill and the hairstyle does not require a wig! Stop trying to advertise in this thread.
There are no wig-wearers in this thread! We don't need no wigs!

Ogedazzle, again, no ads please!

Please, no advertisements in this thread! Create your own threads for that! Thanks!
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Nov 26, 2013
Meddler: Your havana twists look awesome! kiss
Tone tonz: Good to have you in this thread. Bienvenue! Your fro is poppin'! You go, girl! kiss
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
Great thread, I have been rocking shot hair since the first of January this year....I came across this thread while searching for something.

Well I am going to a wedding on Sunday and I really don't want to use relaxer on my hair, don't want a weave either, I want it to be natural what style would be suitable for the event? Please my pic is inserted.

1 Like

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Tonetonz(f): 6:57pm On Nov 26, 2013
You can try bantu knots out or better still visit www.blackgirllonghair.com.
There are styles for short hair there
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Tonetonz(f): 7:00pm On Nov 26, 2013
Yield: Meddler: Your havana twists look awesome! kiss
Tone tonz: Good to have you in this thread. Bienvenue! Your fro is poppin'! You go, girl! kiss
lolz,thanks hurn.that is not my hair oo.saw the pix on a website and posted it here for the natural sisters to see and maybe rock it someday
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 27, 2013
Had my big chop about 9months ago, later dyed my hair and did not like the outcome, so chopped off the dyed hair like 2months ago, I waited to grow out the dye but it seems it were taking ages, so I had to chop it off. Been rocking my natural hair and can't get over the compliment. Don't have any problems detangling thanks to all the thread on natural hair. Can't wait for my hair to get to my desired length.
So far so good.

4 Likes

Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:21am On Nov 28, 2013
Tone tonz: You can try bantu knots out or better still visit www.blackgirllonghair.com.
There are styles for short hair there
I checked the website out but there are no styles for short hair like mine.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:22am On Nov 28, 2013
tochimas: Had my big chop about 9months ago, later dyed my hair and did not like the outcome, so chopped off the dyed hair like 2months ago, I waited to grow out the dye but it seems it were taking ages, so I had to chop it off. Been rocking my natural hair and can't get over the compliment. Don't have any problems detangling thanks to all the thread on natural hair. Can't wait for my hair to get to my desired length.
So far so good.
Nice and Bold, I like.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 28, 2013
@hunbledbYgrace
Maybe you should consider bonding natural hair weave just for the wedding if the above pic is your hair. It's quite short to form any style but rough curls which I am sure will not be possible on natural hair and I won't advice you relax it.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 28, 2013
@humbledbYgrace
Maybe you should consider bonding natural hair weave just for the wedding if the above pic is your hair. It's quite short to form any style but rough curls which I am sure will not be possible on natural hair and I won't advice you relax it.
Re: Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) by raqueal(f): 1:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
I have been transitioning for 9 months now. I have had 2 chops and hope to do the final in January. The early months were difficult as i had to deal with tangles and headaches that i almost gave up but I'm glad i never looked back. I came across this thread and read about the importance of conditioning, moisturizing and protective styling. I have done the 3 and my hair is softer, stronger and increased in length. I use natural oils, cheap shampoo and conditioner cheesy and that's about it. When i am richer, I'll try expensive products and additional regimen but till then..this works just fine for me.

Thanks smiley

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (62) (Reply)

stylish kareena kapoor / Which Cream And Soap is Best Suited For A Fair Lady / POST HERE | ALL Modeling-Related Information!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.