Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,302 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (50222 Views)

Ideal Car Tyre In Nigeria Market / Whats An Ideal Car For A Young First Time Buyer Architect / Your Ideal Car, Favorite Production Car & Car Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by emalekuo(m): 1:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
Billyonaire: The comment isnt silly. The OP earns just 80K and he wants to take a loan to buy a car. How will he survive without any moratorium on the loan ? Let him save until he can afford to buy with his cash, thats when 80K will have meaning. The simple truth is, he can not afford a car right now. A lot of people get high BP and stroke cos of debts, the OP might just become one of them if not warned.
read before u write, he said he has already saved 1,400,000 with his cooperative and he wants to use 800k from there to buy the car.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2012
bajugbajug: hello nairalanders, am a civil servant with a monthly salary of btw 70k and 80k and also have access to loan of about 700k.

I cover over 50miles daily(to and fro)and would need your candid advice on a car that i can buy tht befits my status, budget and easy to maintain.

thanks

Dont ever take a loan on this type of salary.

Am not sure a salary of N80,000 per month can maintain a car. I fuel N10,000 a week plus other maintenance costs. Fuel alone is N40,000 per month plus maintenance at a mechanic workshop which costs depend on the volume of services and parts changed.

You mentioned covering a daily trip of 50miles, which means you will consume fuel of about N1,500 daily for a 2.0 litre engine And that is N33,000 per month assuming 22 working days per month. Maintenance aside. What is left for your other expenses You mentioned loan, i assume you want to fall back on the loan to purchase the car; you will be enslaving yourself financially for the next 5years by doing that.

I bought my first car on a salary of N125,000 and couldnt fuel it. Infact salary nah Bleep up. You better keep taking public transport for the next 3yrs and do some marathon savings for the car and possibly get some pay rise b4 u buy that car.

Go for a nissan sunny or toyota corrola for fuel efficiency, all should be direct belgium. ''A used car could use you''.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 09, 2012
okpara ugo:

Dont ever take a loan on this type of salary.

Am not sure a salary of N80,000 per month can maintain a car. I fuel N10,000 a week plus other maintenance costs. Fuel alone is N40,000 per month plus maintenance at a mechanic workshop which costs depend on the volume of services and parts changed.

You mentioned covering a daily trip of 50miles, which means you will consume fuel of about N1,500 daily for a 2.0 litre engine And that is N33,000 per month assuming 22 working days per month. Maintenance aside. What is left for your other expenses You mentioned loan, i assume you want to fall back on the loan to purchase the car; you will be enslaving yourself financially for the next 5years by doing that.

I bought my first car on a salary of N125,000 and couldnt fuel it. Infact salary nah Bleep up. You better keep taking public transport for the next 3yrs and do some marathon savings for the car and possibly get some pay rise b4 u buy that car.

Go for a nissan sunny or toyota corrola for fuel efficiency, all should be direct belgium. ''A used car could use you''.
Are you trying to say that millions of people who have cars on naija roads are all millionaire? I grew in a home of low income earners and yet we maintained a volvo 740, a benz 200 and a toyota corrola. Now my retired father added 1999 sienna to them 2yrs ago and still driving all the car. Mother will add a highlander to them before the end of the year and yet they are low income earners. My coligues at work are driving big cars comfortably and yet we are all low income earners. Sometimes you people amaze me with your comments.

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2012
tpacalipse: Are you trying to say that millions of people who have cars on naija roads are all millionaire? I grew in a home of low income earners and yet we maintained a volvo 740, a benz 200 and a toyota corrola. Now my retired father added 1999 sienna to them 2yrs ago and still driving all the car. Mother will add a highlander to them before the end of the year and yet they are low income earners. My coligues at work are driving big cars comfortably and yet we are all low income earners. Sometimes you people amaze me with your comments.

An older car bought cheaply will be an easy purchase, the upkeep costs will however be high. A newer car bought at a higher than average cost will be a more costly initial investment, but upkeep costs are likely to be lower.

It all depends on the way you look at the picture. The emphasis on the cars maintained in your family is on "we". So a lot easier than a single individual living away from home. Besides, running costs of an automobile were relatively low 10 years ago, compared to today.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2012
@siena. I think u r making a whole lot of sense
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by alabe22(m): 5:40am On Sep 10, 2012
(Ikenna & andywaves)'s comments are still one of the best here. Man, I can list you some cars that are affordable for a low earner maintenance only and only if you have a luck for a good tokunbo cars. Nissan Primera 97-98, Nissan Sunny, Honda Accord 92-94, Mazda 626 95-97, Mitsubishi Galant, Golf 3, (Mercedes Benz C180 95)***only if you've used a car b4 and Mercedes Benz 190 Injector Engine. Toyota camry 95-98 is also good. These are the cars that I can recommend for that salary scale earner, I started with 626, when I was earning 50k, later to camry when I was earning 90k, and now on Benz C230 with 120k salary. Be careful of indecision. Please and please, don't try any Nigerian used cars. They can send you back to village if care is not taken.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by andywaves(m): 6:41am On Sep 10, 2012
i am yet to see a man who survives on his salary alone life (God) has a way of balancing out these things and i believe that where there is a will there is a way no one says you have to drive to work every blessed day the day you dont have money for fuel u take a bus or you use the car on selective days its done every where in the world you know n i know loads of people with income less than his with cars when going to work they pick up friends n colleagues who occasionally help out with fuel costs as long as u r not an xtravagant guy n u have job security u will do well a lot of people burn more than it takes to run a car at the beer tables monthly without batting an eyelid.just dont buy anuthing with a big engine or too flashy

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by andywaves(m): 6:48am On Sep 10, 2012
Siena:

An older car bought cheaply will be an easy purchase, the upkeep costs will however be high. A newer car bought at a higher than average cost will be a more costly initial investment, but upkeep costs are likely to be lower.

It all depends on the way you look at the picture. The emphasis on the cars maintained in your family is on "we". So a lot easier than a single individual living away from home. Besides, running costs of an automobile were relatively low 10 years ago, compared to today.

bro that is not always the case the older car parts r relatively a lot cheaper than the newer models i might go to the mechanic 2/3 times in two months n u might go once in three months and i will still end up spending less than you i.e the 2009 honda accord spark plugs go for about 10k if you change that once that is about about 5 yrs worth of plugs for any 90's car not all sha bt the small/mid size sedans

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by deliceshop(m): 10:24am On Sep 10, 2012
Hello

I can get you a Golf 3 manual or Nissan very clean and europen model with very low fuel consumtion

suitable for low salary earner and cheap to maintain with 25days it will be in Nigeria
for the price of N650,000 and you will enjoy it

If you are Interested email me your number I will call you and then give you my number also

remotehands.eu AT Gmail.com replace AT = @ to avoid spammers

Cheers

DeliceShop
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by klear(f): 4:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
Some people have poverty mentality sha! So coz he earns 80k monthly, he cant own a car? Buy a car dat wnt cost u more dan 600k max, invest d rest of d money, pay off ur loans wit d profit u make frm d biz ( depending on hw much u have 2 b paying back every month anyways)
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by deavicky(m): 6:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
I'm not lying and if you stay within PH arange and let us see
Delfino: . Sombody pls call EFCC to arrest this guy! How u manage buy 2 cars of this sort wif 50k salary in Nigeria My friend pls stop lying!
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by deavicky(m): 6:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
infact i bought the Honda halla when i was recieving 35k
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by redcliff: 11:04am On Sep 11, 2012
hmnm na wa o for people's comment on here, that's why they say too many cooks spoil the soup. many people using their different driving and car ownership experiences to advice the OP. personally i do not see anything wrong in having a car as long as you are working, u have focus ( u know what u want to do with you life) and equally, u get a car that would give u less troubles and maintenance cost is relatively cheap(next to nothing. there are so many of them out there. Just dont get a Nigerian Used car and a car that has done a lot of miles. Its advice able that if you want to order and you have a trusted fellow in europe (which seems to have the cheapest in terms of cost and shipping) let such persons do a proper search on your behalf for something really good.
My own thoughts though......
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 12:49pm On Sep 11, 2012
redcliff: hmnm na wa o for people's comment on here, that's why they say too many cooks spoil the soup. many people using their different driving and car ownership experiences to advice the OP. personally i do not see anything wrong in having a car as long as you are working, u have focus ( u know what u want to do with you life) and equally, u get a car that would give u less troubles and maintenance cost is relatively cheap(next to nothing. there are so many of them out there. Just dont get a Nigerian Used car and a car that has done a lot of miles. Its advice able that if you want to order and you have a trusted fellow in europe (which seems to have the cheapest in terms of cost and shipping) let such persons do a proper search on your behalf for something really good.
My own thoughts though......
tanks
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by vinmol: 10:48am On Sep 12, 2012
my dear my candid advice, do not buy Nigerian used car, rather buy a tokunboh
like the rest a Golf 3 will be fine
i earn almst smae income with you
i work i Ijora and stay in Ogba

i have a golf 3 Auto with A/c and alloy manual windows
with all the traffic in Ikorodu road and western avenue
i fuel my car once a week with 4k and am good to go for the next 6 days

very cheap to maintain, very comfortable and fast, and a get up and go car
no complications, as you earn higher by his grace you will get a bigger car and a new model

for now i dont earn much but i need the comfort or driving out with my family weekends and work weekdays
i have used my golf for over 11 mnths now and am still flexing it....be wise brother Car is all about conveinence and necessity for ur level not a staus thing yet
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bricx: 11:33am On Sep 12, 2012
Buy a small car,
Pick passengers along the way, that way you would have succeeded in raising money to fuel the car on a daily basis.
My experience, I raise enough to fuel my car
To and from work daily, I raise N2000 daily,N10,000 weekly and N40,000 monthly.
My daily lunch is N500, weekly is N3500 and monthly is N14,000
With my N2000 daily taking to and fro work, I have more than enough to fuel my car-full tank and eat lunch on a daily basis.

You can turn a liability-car into an income earning asset that way.
Its your call.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 7:39am On Sep 13, 2012
Tank u all for ur sincere contributions. Av got an offer for a naija used 94 camry aka OROBO for 450k.I wil likely pay B4 nexwk.hope its a good deal?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Kx: 10:33am On Sep 13, 2012
A small and affordable tokunbo should be preferred to a naija used of any kind imo.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by redcliff: 11:52am On Sep 13, 2012
bricx: Buy a small car,
Pick passengers along the way, that way you would have succeeded in raising money to fuel the car on a daily basis.
My experience, I raise enough to fuel my car
To and from work daily, I raise N2000 daily,N10,000 weekly and N40,000 monthly.
My daily lunch is N500, weekly is N3500 and monthly is N14,000
With my N2000 daily taking to and fro work, I have more than enough to fuel my car-full tank and eat lunch on a daily basis.

You can turn a liability-car into an income earning asset that way.
Its your call.

before you know it, the interior of your car would be looking so worn out and old. picking passengers on the road isnt a good idea at all..anyway na golf 3 so its a cab sef

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by vinmol: 12:32pm On Sep 13, 2012
Kx: A small and affordable tokunbo should be preferred to a naija used of any kind imo.

Gbam... u said it all. i have exprienced it and i dont wish it for my enemy
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by FindOut(m): 12:33pm On Sep 13, 2012
bajugbajug: Tank u all for ur sincere contributions. Av got an offer for a naija used 94 camry aka OROBO for 450k.I wil likely pay B4 nexwk.hope its a good deal?

BEFORE YOU PAY,
1)How long has it been registered & how often does the owner drive it?
2) Do you know the car history with the present owner? & does he have other cars?
3) Have you gone to inspect the vehicle with a COMPETENT TRUSTED auto mechanic?

Lastly, as you've read so far, while having a car is a necessity in many cases, you still have to consider your running costs as it affects your salary.

So, if possible, reduce the amount of the co-operative loan you are taking, or invest the remaining 200-250k in an income-yielding venture.

Btw, hope the camry is a 4 cylinder engined one sha.

All the best.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by FindOut(m): 12:40pm On Sep 13, 2012
vinmol:

Gbam... u said it all. i have exprienced it and i dont wish it for my enemy

Lol. OK, wait. U drive a car currently right? Maybe u even have two, & i assume they are in top condition. Maybe u drive one only on weekends sef. Now, u wish to upgrade & u want to sell one of them. Would i be wrong to refuse to buy? Going by your seeming generalization that all naija used cars are bad

This is travelling (abroad for Masters) season. Many intending emigrants will sell their cars, some for even low prices, & its certain that some of those cars will be in very good condition.

Yes, no doubt, many people sell because the cars are faulty, some bexause they think it will soon be faulty, but thats just it, some, not all.

I still stand by my point which is : SOME (not all) naija used cars (depending on how well used), are BETTER than many tokunbo ones of the same brand.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 5:29pm On Sep 13, 2012
Find Out!:

BEFORE YOU PAY,
1)How long has it been registered & how often does the owner drive it?
2) Do you know the car history with the present owner? & does he have other cars?
3) Have you gone to inspect the vehicle with a COMPETENT TRUSTED auto mechanic?

Lastly, as you've read so far, while having a car is a necessity in many cases, you still have to consider your running costs as it affects your salary.

So, if possible, reduce the amount of the co-operative loan you are taking, or invest the remaining 200-250k in an income-yielding venture.

Btw, hope the camry is a 4 cylinder engined one sha.

All the best.
The car was bought in cotonou as tokunbo in 2008.comes with a 4 plug engine, neat interior wit 190k mileage.wil try n post pix

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by star4ever: 10:16am On Sep 14, 2012
please go for orobo (toyota camry) its fuel efficient and maintenance is relatively cheap.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 14, 2012
star 4ever: please go for orobo (toyota camry) its fuel efficient and maintenance is relatively cheap.

Come on bud! It may well be cheap to by parts for, or repair. But a '94 Toyota Camry will NOT be fuel efficient, not by a long shot.

We're talking a small engine in a heavy car, a car with pretty basic emission control. Fast forward 18 years, it won't be anywhere near as good on fuel as it was when it was new, and when it was even new, it was fairly thirsty. Age does not improve fuel consumption in an engine.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by bajugbajug(m): 12:23pm On Sep 14, 2012
Siena:

Come on bud! It may well be cheap to by parts for, or repair. But a '94 Toyota Camry will NOT be fuel efficient, not by a long shot.

We're talking a small engine in a heavy car, a car with pretty basic emission control. Fast forward 18 years, it won't be anywhere near as good on fuel as it was when it was new, and when it was even new, it was fairly thirsty. Age does not improve fuel consumption in an engine.
are you saying that 94 camry is not fuel efficient?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2012
bajugbajug: are you saying that 94 camry is not fuel efficient?

The nickel drops! That's exactly what I'm saying bud. Do you really want to invest in a car that's almost 20-years-old, that isn't a classic?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by baaliyah(m): 8:40pm On Sep 14, 2012
@ Find out, you are making sense in respect of Niger used cars.
Poster, If you want to settle for a used car, why not look for Golf 3 or Almera or something small and fuel saving. I have Civic 98, very friendly and sharp car. Unbelivable fuel consumption.
Dont use ur car for Kabukabu. It will die before its time. You can not enter my car with dirty shoes nor bang my door too hard. I have always sold my cars close to the amonth i bought them. U know customers are always right.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by FindOut(m): 7:31am On Sep 16, 2012
Siena:

Bros Siena, i beg to differ here o. The 92-96 Camry 4 cylinder engine is a 2.2 litre. Somehow, i dont consider that engine small. My dad's friend has a 93 Camry 2.2GL (the early ones without airbags) & that car is still as sound & fast as anything, even with AC chilling. & while the car will likely not be as fuel efficient as it was 18 yrs ago, i'll like to think that if the vehicle has been well maintained over the years, it will still be quite fuel efficient, fast & friendly to the pocket of a medium income earner. I'm speaking from very close observation. I believe a well maintained 1992 Honda Civic will be even more fuel efficient than a poorly maintained 2002 Honda Civic. That's why i agree with the point you and the other auto gurus here have consistently harped on here, which is : Vehicle maintenance is key to engine performance & efficiency which ultimately affects fuel economy.

My uncle's 1989 Toyota Camry V6 2.5litre (not too sure of the engine size, sure its a V6 tho) is also one fast & surprisingly fuel efficient ride. Tho the car has been experiencing what i consider some ''wear and tear'' issues due to its old age, the engine is still very very sound.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Reasons That Toyota Corolla Was Crowned Nigeria’s Car Of The Year 2019 / Toyota Corolla Emerges Nigeria’s Car Of The Year / Auto Policy: Stallion Motors Unveils Made-in- Nigeria Hyundai Grand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.