Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,260 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (50240 Views)

Ideal Car Tyre In Nigeria Market / Whats An Ideal Car For A Young First Time Buyer Architect / Your Ideal Car, Favorite Production Car & Car Manufacturer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 16, 2012
Find Out!:

Bros Siena, i beg to differ here o. The 92-96 Camry 4 cylinder engine is a 2.2 litre. Somehow, i dont consider that engine small. My dad's friend has a 93 Camry 2.2GL (the early ones without airbags) & that car is still as sound & fast as anything, even with AC chilling. & while the car will likely not be as fuel efficient as it was 18 yrs ago, i'll like to think that if the vehicle has been well maintained over the years, it will still be quite fuel efficient, fast & friendly to the pocket of a medium income earner. I'm speaking from very close observation. I believe a well maintained 1992 Honda Civic will be even more fuel efficient than a poorly maintained 2002 Honda Civic. That's why i agree with the point you and the other auto gurus here have consistently harped on here, which is : Vehicle maintenance is key to engine performance & efficiency which ultimately affects fuel economy.

My uncle's 1989 Toyota Camry V6 2.5litre (not too sure of the engine size, sure its a V6 tho) is also one fast & surprisingly fuel efficient ride. Tho the car has been experiencing what i consider some ''wear and tear'' issues due to its old age, the engine is still very very sound.

I'm not referring to the engine being sound or not. Sure it'll be running great. I'm referring to the fuel consumption, which will be on the high side. And yes, a 2,2L engine in a car the size of the '92 Camry is small, considering the modest power output. The 5S-FE motor produced 130 hp back in '94. 18 later, factoring in wear and tear, the same engine will be making circa 85 - 100 hp. This will give performance closer to a contemporary 1,6L motor. And this is where the same engine will be thirstier. I'm not expressing an opinion, it's simply a scientific fact.

It will still drive fine, and unless the car is strapped to a dyno, the power loss won't be apparent in everyday driving. When an engine wears, it's a gradual process, so gradual that even a 40 hp deficit over a period of 6 years won't be noticeable. It'll only be obvious if you drive this car, then drive another similar model with a rebuilt motor. That's why some cars feel noticeably quicker than others, despite having the same engine. It's not a maintenance issue, it's an ageing process.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd be looking at a newer car for the same price, a smaller car with an equally smaller engine. For what the '94 Toyota Camry 2,2 will cost, I'd be looking at a '98 Toyota Corolla 1,6, '97 Volkswagen Golf III 1,6, '99 Honda Civic 1,6, '99 Toyota Avensis 1,6, '98 Peugeot 306 1,6. These are just examples. Spending 700,000 Naira on a car that's close to 20-years-old is not recommended.

When giving advice, emotions need to be kept out, and practicality brought in.

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by tampa1871: 9:41pm On Sep 16, 2012
When Mr. Siena talks, you better listen, a word is enough for the wise. The man knows his stuffs, hats off to you.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by FindOut(m): 8:44am On Sep 17, 2012
Siena:

I'm not referring to the engine being sound or not. Sure it'll be running great. I'm referring to the fuel consumption, which will be on the high side. And yes, a 2,2L engine in a car the size of the '92 Camry is small, considering the modest power output. The 5S-FE motor produced 130 hp back in '94. 18 later, factoring in wear and tear, the same engine will be making circa 85 - 100 hp. This will give performance closer to a contemporary 1,6L motor. And this is where the same engine will be thirstier. I'm not expressing an opinion, it's simply a scientific fact.

It will still drive fine, and unless the car is strapped to a dyno, the power loss won't be apparent in everyday driving. When an engine wears, it's a gradual process, so gradual that even a 40 hp deficit over a period of 6 years won't be noticeable. It'll only be obvious if you drive this car, then drive another similar model with a rebuilt motor. That's why some cars feel noticeably quicker than others, despite having the same engine. It's not a maintenance issue, it's an ageing process.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd be looking at a newer car for the same price, a smaller car with an equally smaller engine. For what the '94 Toyota Camry 2,2 will cost, I'd be looking at a '98 Toyota Corolla 1,6, '97 Volkswagen Golf III 1,6, '99 Honda Civic 1,6, '99 Toyota Avensis 1,6, '98 Peugeot 306 1,6. These are just examples. Spending 700,000 Naira on a car that's close to 20-years-old is not recommended.

When giving advice, emotions need to be kept out, and practicality brought in.

Actually, OP said he was about to spend 450k on a naija used (for 2yrs) '94 camry. How carefully used, i cant ascertain. 700k shld be able to get him a decent '96 camry i guess.

That said, i cant fault ur above post. Reminded me of some secondary school Physics Mechanics calculations.lol. But then, the 1.6 too will have lost some hp too, making it slower then!
Many of us are all learning here & you are one of our teachers cheesy . I hope OP has picked a few tips n hints from that post. I certainly did. However, in ur choice of alternative cars, i'm surprised you didnt mention the VW Jetta/Bora (1.6). I guess twas an oversight. No? Nywys, can u please comment on this car? I've been in love with for as long as i can remember but i hear stories of how like its siblings, Passat & Golf 4, they are plagued with electrical problems. I remember a thread on NL loong ago where the car suffered some serious bashing from users. Yeah i kno Naija mechanics play their part in destroyin these cars, but what's your own view on the reliability of this car?

I blive this isnt derailing the thread sha.

Oh, & i have a personal beef with the 98-02 corolla. Its a 16 yr old girl's car. Too small, too light & too expensive.lol
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 18, 2012
Siena:

An older car bought cheaply will be an easy purchase, the upkeep costs will however be high. A newer car bought at a higher than average cost will be a more costly initial investment, but upkeep costs are likely to be lower.

It all depends on the way you look at the picture. The emphasis on the cars maintained in your family is on "we". So a lot easier than a single individual living away from home. Besides, running costs of an automobile were relatively low 10 years ago, compared to today.
Ok then.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by infgost234(m): 7:31am On Sep 19, 2012
Some of d posters here have a low way of thinking sha.. Does it mean a person earning 80k monthly cant get and maintain a car? Does he have to start earning millions/month before getting a ride? If I may ask, how many Nigerians that own a car today earn above 80k/month?
Siena is making a lot of sense on d age thing... Kudos man!

3 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Cool83(m): 2:25pm On Sep 23, 2012
My colleague at work is earning 60k+ and riding an averagely okay car,i wonder why someone earning 80k cant own a car,the salary would continue to increase.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 23, 2012
infgost234: Some of d posters here have a low way of thinking sha.. Does it mean a person earning 80k monthly cant get and maintain a car? Does he have to start earning millions/month before getting a ride? If I may ask, how many Nigerians that own a car today earn above 80k/month?
Siena is making a lot of sense on d age thing... Kudos man!

Bro, I think you're missing the point here. Not everyone's saying the Op can't afford to buy a car. It's the upkeep that's the issue. Especially if buying (as the OP was thinking of) a '94 Toyota Camry. A car of that size, that's close to 20-years-old will NOT be cheap to run. Yes, there are folk in Nigeria earning up to 80k or below, running cars. Just because outwardly they seem okay, doesn't mean it's not a struggle to keep these cars ship-shape.

One may be lucky buying a 19-year-old car, some will be really unlucky, and looking to unload a car riddled with all manner of gremlins to another unsuspecting punter. I give advice based upon the average, not a few isolated situations whereby such a car has been a good buy, on a modest income.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nwunuken(m): 7:38pm On Sep 23, 2012
okpara ugo:

Dont ever take a loan on this type of salary.

Am not sure a salary of N80,000 per month can maintain a car. I fuel N10,000 a week plus other maintenance costs. Fuel alone is N40,000 per month plus maintenance at a mechanic workshop which costs depend on the volume of services and parts changed.

You mentioned covering a daily trip of 50miles, which means you will consume fuel of about N1,500 daily for a 2.0 litre engine And that is N33,000 per month assuming 22 working days per month. Maintenance aside. What is left for your other expenses You mentioned loan, i assume you want to fall back on the loan to purchase the car; you will be enslaving yourself financially for the next 5years by doing that.

I bought my first car on a salary of N125,000 and couldnt fuel it. Infact salary nah Bleep up. You better keep taking public transport for the next 3yrs and do some marathon savings for the car and possibly get some pay rise b4 u buy that car.

Go for a nissan sunny or toyota corrola for fuel efficiency, all should be direct belgium. ''A used car could use you''.
u amaze me with ur comment.i earn less than what u earn but i stil maintant my car without any issue

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by EchikaChina: 11:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
Jarus:
I use an SUV, live in Ajah and work in VI. I spend an average of 2k per day on fuel. A neighbour that doesn't have a car spends N500 for same trip(to and fro). Sometimes sef, I prefer to drop my car at home and find my way to office by public transport. Reason: if I was getting late, I can easily come down from a public bus and hop a bike. Sometimes, in the midst of the traffic and all those nonsense on road, I feel like dumping my car and taking bike or public transport.

Apart from the social aspect of owning a car, I don't see any big deal in not owning, especially for one with less than 100k income. I have colleagues earning up to 300k, but don't have car.
Those your friends are really alien..... 300k and no car?... Bros get serious abeg.

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by EchikaChina: 11:49pm On Sep 24, 2012
Siena:

Bud, I think you're missing the point here.

Buying the car itself is just the beginning, the initial investment. It's the running costs - insurance, fuelling, maintenance and unexpected repairs that will become an issue, based upon what the OP earns, and then there's the loan repayments. Even if he eats once a day and squats with a pal rent-free, I still can't see how he'll manage.

Mastro was pretty thorough in his analysis, and that estimate could well go up, if the car needs repairs outside the routine maintenance.
I have learnt one lesson In life: Get the best of your heart desire and other fears will disappear. I knew a friend who entered the university just by paying the acceptance fee of 5k which was his last from all angel. He suffered terribly in year 1 but friends helped him pay school fees a day b4 exams. Finally, he made 2:1 and now lives large. In life, the first step in making a decision is the most difficult. Don't underestimate your future and Gods plan for u. I have never seen a civil servant who used a small car and later resort to traking again. What I always see is improvement from the small troublesome car to a nice ride. I really believe that the fear of the unknown is what many guys are suffering from.

14 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by chuksbogus: 5:39am On Sep 26, 2012
Echika China:
I have learnt one lesson In life: Get the best of your heart desire and other fears will disappear. I knew a friend who entered the university just by paying the acceptance fee of 5k which was his last from all angel. He suffered terribly in year 1 but friends helped him pay school fees a day b4 exams. Finally, he made 2:1 and now lives large. In life, the first step in making a decision is the most difficult. Don't underestimate your future and Gods plan for u. I have never seen a civil servant who used a small car and later resort to traking again. What I always see is improvement from the small troublesome car to a nice ride. I really believe that the fear of the unknown is what many guys are suffering from.
infact u said it all,i am motivated
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by biggie123(m): 11:58am On Oct 18, 2012
bajugbajug: hello nairalanders, am a civil servant with a monthly salary of btw 70k and 80k and also have access to loan of about 700k.

I cover over 50miles daily(to and fro)and would need your candid advice on a car that i can buy tht befits my status, budget and easy to maintain.

thanks
go for a baby boy

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by captalex(m): 10:04pm On Nov 08, 2012
an eJ9 honda civic hatchback or a 99 tiny light Toyota Camry, are very fuel efficient and easy to maintain cars for someone starting out
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by 9icetoo(m): 10:44am On Dec 05, 2012
bajugbajug: A frnd of mine dat once used golf 3 said all d parts are relatively cheap. Pls hw true?
Your friend is right. Golf parts are relatively cheap and those cars seem to run forever. They are quite durable.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by 9icetoo(m): 10:49am On Dec 05, 2012
Echika China:
Those your friends are really alien..... 300k and no car?... Bros get serious abeg.
I have colleagues on more than 400k where i work and they use the company bus or public transport here in PH. They may have cars but they don't drive them to work. Most times, i leave mine at home as well and join others to work in their cars or use public trans. It is really expensive to fuel and maintain a car if you factor in other expenses you have to take care of.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by 9icetoo(m): 10:58am On Dec 05, 2012
tpacalipse: Are you trying to say that millions of people who have cars on naija roads are all millionaire? I grew in a home of low income earners and yet we maintained a volvo 740, a benz 200 and a toyota corrola. Now my retired father added 1999 sienna to them 2yrs ago and still driving all the car. Mother will add a highlander to them before the end of the year and yet they are low income earners. My coligues at work are driving big cars comfortably and yet we are all low income earners. Sometimes you people amaze me with your comments.
fuel was 11 naira then. Now it is 120. Parts were sourced from CFAO and other genuine vendors now my brothers who go to china have bastardized the business. Cars were purely mechanically driven, now they have too many sensors and stupid brain boxes. grin grin grin grin
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by austinsmat(m): 8:41pm On Dec 06, 2012
I learn a lot I'm rhinging about going for golf2 but i will add up some money and but golf3
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by plendil: 8:57am On Dec 18, 2012
Echika China:

Speak for yourself. I earn close to 400k (have been doing so for about 6 months)and don't have a car. Its just recently I decided to get a Primera 98 model. At the auto sections you'll see some cotonu dealers' thread where I was trying to make enquiries.

Of course I have colleagues, almost all them as a matter of fact, already driving EODs and SUVs. It all depends on where our priorities lay.

2 Likes

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
How much can one get toyota avensis(pix below) and I guess its d same mr siena made mention of. Its been my choice of car for a long while and my second option is golf3. Are they fuel efficient and maintainable? income is appr 100k monthly. My trip is just to-from office (me and ma wife), market and 3x of yola (adamawa state) to lagos in a year, and yola to markudi of every weekend (for acade).
Your advice will be appreciated.

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by critic(m): 4:54pm On Dec 18, 2012
Echika China:

God bless you for this.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 19, 2012
austinsmat: I learn a lot I'm rhinging about going for golf2 but i will add up some money and but golf3

Bro, the last Volkswagen Golf II was built in 1991. So realistically, you're more likely to find a 1989 model. You really want to buy a 23-year-old car?

In the United Kingdom and North America, they're owned by enthusiasts, mostly as second or even third cars. But these guys are savvy with the spanners, so do their own wrenching. In Nigeria, it's a different matter, most have been cabbed to death, and are pretty tired.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by ziccoit: 5:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
When u have a family and u can afford a car then having one is now a necessity not a luxury.

1 Like

Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by dragnet: 4:01pm On Aug 10, 2013
Juwonb007: How much can one get toyota avensis(pix below) and I guess its d same mr siena made mention of. Its been my choice of car for a long while and my second option is golf3. Are they fuel efficient and maintainable? income is appr 100k monthly. My trip is just to-from office (me and ma wife), market and 3x of yola (adamawa state) to lagos in a year, and yola to markudi of every weekend (for acade).
Your advice will be appreciated.
Siena, please comment on the above post.
thanks
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by utijerry: 5:49pm On Aug 31, 2013
My pple am about to acquire a US 1999 kia sportage and on d same salary as the OP, what do u advice.
Cos am thinkn should I acquire and sell it asap or use it, by the way its a run and drive.
Ur genuine advice is highly appreciated.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 31, 2013
dragnet:
Siena, please comment on the above post.
thanks

A '98/'99 Toyota Avensis 1.6/1.8 (Nigerian used) can be had from as little as 550 - 650k. An import of the same year can be had for 700 - 820k.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 05, 2013
Siena:

A '98/'99 Toyota Avensis 1.6/1.8 (Nigerian used) can be had from as little as 550 - 650k. An import of the same year can be had for 700 - 820k.

Sir, the range for the imported; doest it include the clearing charges @ Lagos, or only car cost+shipment? in addition, wld you help with importing?

Thanks.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by beryour(m): 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2014
Siena:

Please do you know where I can get this?
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by San2ski(m): 9:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
DatNiggaAk:

I beg to disagree sir. Except your routine is office-home, home-office. A good low fuel consuming car will cost you less than taking public transport. not to mention the convenience it offers when you have goods/stuff/load to carry.

Plus when it suddenly starts to rain. Ol'boy a car owner will feel like Michael Jordan.
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by San2ski(m): 10:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
[Nonesense. What did you expect when you bought a car naned Scopio?
For your info I'm using a 550 Hyundai and it's so clean that my girlfriend begged me not to sell it because she enjoys it anytime I took her out on it. Plus all these sweet Camry s don't cost much nowadays.

quote author=mrrock post=12096999]My brother, you came to Nairaland to seek advise so please listen to the voice of warning. DO NOT BUY ANY CAR YET.
If I see you face to face and tell you my life and journey with cars you would change your mind. Note that the cheaper the car the more expensive to maintain. That's how it is.
I once owned a ford scopio and everyday I will end up at the mechanic. That was my first car and it made me hate cars. When I wanted to sell it nobody agreed to buy. It took a very long time before sold at a give-away-price.

It wasn't until I bought Toyota 4 runner jeep that I began to enjoy cars. I used the Toyota jeep for 2 good years without going to mechanics for any issues other than changing my oils. When I sold it I got half the purchase price quick.

Summary:
A friend of mine who is a car dealer told me that cars don't cost anything to maintain as long as it's priced from N3million upwards. If you buy any car from this range you would have no business with mechanic for 3 years as long as you avoid accident.
This does not mean you can't or shouldn't buy cheaper cars but cheaper cars will cost you more money to maintain.[/quote]
Re: An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. by auhanson(m): 6:06pm On Nov 11, 2014
EchikaChina:

When i bought my first car, Benz 190 back then in 2006 immediately after my youth service, because i loved and desired that car so much, i use to earn N25,000 per month and fuel the car to and fro work N24,000 monthly. Initially i thought i was going to die , but suddenly God just open my mind to learn and practice some very lucrative IT skills back then very fast, starting from computer repairs to networking to programming and on and so on and so forth. I was not only able to tune the car to my taste but also changed the engine and tune it to my taste and was still able to afford many other good things of life my colleagues without cars could not afford, Including marrying from a very expensive tradition(because i loved the woman too) and so on... So my brother, pick what your heart love to keep you happy, then work out genuinely how to keep going by working hard as a man.

That is not to say that you should throw caution to air when it comes to your choice of a car, your faith may not be the same as mine. People who said you should be cautious are also correct , but you are the determining factor. If i love something,i don't seek approval from people, because i could be discouraged. I go straight for it and then learn how to handle it in the best possible way.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Reasons That Toyota Corolla Was Crowned Nigeria’s Car Of The Year 2019 / Toyota Corolla Emerges Nigeria’s Car Of The Year / Auto Policy: Stallion Motors Unveils Made-in- Nigeria Hyundai Grand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.