Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Getting Married Without A Job - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Getting Married Without A Job (18862 Views)

I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / Three (3) Financial Moves To Make Before Getting Married / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by y2kaustin(m): 11:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
Can anyone tell me,Why Igbo ladies marry at old age?And they r ugly.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Iyaqueen(f): 11:15pm On Sep 04, 2012
Hello dear, I leave in d England,no paper if u know Wat I mean,but I still try to send stuff home to sell so sometin can still come in,we ladies like to buy stuff,ll u be collecting every pences from him,hmmmmmm he ll complain one day,just 1 day smiley

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Morgan1092(m): 11:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
[/quote]...Plz I want the married ladies here to share with me their experiences and the men, how they felt when marrying their wives that weren't working.[/quote] Is it only married ppl dat wud advice u? We dat r singles re exempted.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 04, 2012
401kk: I even thought you were a man. This is not a big deal, most nigerian marriages are financed by the men because they see it as an obligation.
It is good that you're worried about you lack of financial contribution towards the wedding, at least it shows that you understand what modern relationships are about.
Love your husband and take care of him, I pray he reciprocates. Goodluck

That's right. I thought it was a case of one mumu love-struck jobless Romeo that wants to marry 'by-fire-by-force' so that another well to do man wouldn't snatch his Juliet. Lol. The OP has no problem as long as her husband is capable and isn't complaining. I reckon most men I know do not care that much about their wife's employment status. All they want is a good woman who would keep her laps closed to 'intruders', take care of him and the homefront, and generally behave like a good wife should.

Employment and financial security in a marriage context is a much bigger worry for men than women, particularly in the early stages - at least in this part of the world. So the OP can afford to take her time, develop herself, and explore worthwhile options until something meaningful materialises in the long run. I must however commend her thoughtfulness and seeming good sense though. That's a rarity among young naija women these days.

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
Iyaqueen: Hello dear, I leave in d England,no paper if u know Wat I mean,but I still try to send stuff home to sell so sometin can still come in,we ladies like to buy stuff,ll u be collecting every pences from him,hmmmmmm he ll complain one day,just 1 day smiley

Ehrrrm what are you doing in a foreign country without any job?

Your own case is preventative and self-caused one.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by sexkillzmumu: 11:38pm On Sep 04, 2012
y2kaustin: Can anyone tell me,Why Igbo ladies marry at old age?And they r ugly.
ur question reeks of stupidity

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Gabrielsylar(m): 11:39pm On Sep 04, 2012
Some people have problems but wants solutions while some have solutions and instead of thanking baba God, they are soliciting for problems....ur primary role as a wife is to love ur husband n give him intimacy......wat is ur obsession ,why are u trying to force him to depend on ur help or support......o ga ooooo
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by kpolli(m): 11:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
ur parents nko?
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by GboyegaD(m): 12:16am On Sep 05, 2012
Madam, all I would also advice is try to ensure he does not spend too much on the wedding trying to impress so that you guys do not find yourself in a mess from the beginning of your marriage as this may make him resent you and act insultively because you do not have a job.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by somebodybobo: 12:25am On Sep 05, 2012
scribble:

:oits unbelievable right. some babes dey o brav. its in their caring nature as women. poverty and deep havent eaten that deep into the land. u need to have faith to keep your sanity. besides this one feels true.

Fogerritttttttt bros angry angry..If it were to be the guy, would she have married him??

Bone jor angry angry
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 12:36am On Sep 05, 2012
Young lady, go ahead with your wedding and get a job as soon as the honey moon is over. If not, when your husband is broke, if he does, he will turn you to a punching bag, and we @ nairaland will still be here to advise you no doubts grin grin grin
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by iamtheprincipal: 12:55am On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

You are welcome ni . . . Don't mind coogar jor . . . putting you on high jump!

But please, don't slack in making yourself useful. Men can change when the responsibilities on running a home starts piling up. You hubby may not really understand the fianancial commitment he's getting into now and reality can make him go nasty.

Try as much as you can not to be extravargant especially with the wedding!

Try and encourage him to save and and spend less on non-neccesities!

Dont go demanding for BB and ipad and brazillian hair and designer clother, just cos he can afford them now!

Buidling a home is EXPENSIVE, especially here in Nigeria.

I'm sure you guys will be fine!

@UjuJoan; I just want to appreciate you for your great words of advice. I wish all ladies (with the exception of a very few like you) reason like you, things would have been easy for us.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 1:05am On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

You are welcome ni . . . Don't mind coogar jor . . . putting you on high jump!

But please, don't slack in making yourself useful. Men can change when the responsibilities on running a home starts piling up. You hubby may not really understand the fianancial commitment he's getting into now and reality can make him go nasty.

Try as much as you can not to be extravargant especially with the wedding!

Try and encourage him to save and and spend less on non-neccesities!

Dont go demanding for BB and ipad and brazillian hair and designer clother, just cos he can afford them now!

Buidling a home is EXPENSIVE, especially here in Nigeria.
I'm sure you guys will be fine!
take this counsel

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by armyofone(m): 1:43am On Sep 05, 2012
Also make sure either of you use birth control. both of you can manage as you both pursue your dreams.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 2:06am On Sep 05, 2012

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by NEROSKY(m): 2:12am On Sep 05, 2012
beqs101: Hello people

I am a lady who loves being independent,a lady who loves taking care of her business and not always relying solely on her man to provide everything for her. I've always wanted to support my husband when I get married but right now,that isn't the case...

I just got engaged and my fiance and i are planning our wedding but,I'm feeling bad cuz he is gonna be taking care of everything and I won't be able to support him cuz,i'm not working now... Plz I want the married ladies here to share with me their experiences and the men,how they felt when marrying their wives that weren't working.

helo, are u a blogger!
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by brabus(m): 3:23am On Sep 05, 2012
beqs101:

Yes Uju I'm a graduate but,I'm yet to do my N.Y.S.C...I didn't just know i will get married this soon.. I'm excited about it though..i won't just relax and thanks for the advice..

My Sister bikonu...GO and LOOK for a JOB or start a trade!!! Don't say nobody warned you...cause when your hubby's eyes opens and he start resenting you for draining his financial resources and making no contribution to your family welfare we will hear another story. Your conscience is already giving you warning signals. Ignore at your peril.

Question: What if your husband loses his job shortly after the wedding?

Get a job. Get a life!
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by 2mch(m): 3:24am On Sep 05, 2012
Wow, Musiwa. Nice advice there, minus the video.

OP,
Am sure you can sit down and make future plans with your fiancee. Pls try to have something doing even if you are not working. If it is going to school at least. Just find something that will keep you busy. You retain some respect that way.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by yankidelta(m): 3:26am On Sep 05, 2012
y2kaustin: Can anyone tell me,Why Igbo ladies marry at old age?And they r ugly.

I knew silly peeps like you will trivialize and tribalize this thread...I feel like calling you an Idiot but one as bigoted as you are has no shame and understanding for you is at best myopic.

@ MOD pls do something here.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by elimokhai(m): 4:23am On Sep 05, 2012
Please get a job as fast as you can even if the pay is little, you’ll always earn your respect in the house, it keeps marriage stronger. Don’t just feed fat on your husband, he’ll never respect you. You didn’t get that education only to become a stay at home mom. Soon you’ll start making kids which makes it more difficult for job haunting, each child you have keeps you in the house for 12months year, you keep procrastinating, and you’ll end up thinking of opening a shop, trading turkey and food stuffs whereas you had a dream of becoming a top executive in a multinational, Nigeria mentality. If your husband doesn’t see that zeal in you as it were during courtship, marriage will always crumble. You want to buy maggi, it’s your husband, toothpaste, and it’s your husband. He sees you as burden, the beauty start fading away, you start getting FAT, and love diminishes, cheating start taking place. This is not what you want, please get a job, yes even before marriage, don't be deceived

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Truckpusher(m): 4:30am On Sep 05, 2012
Bad market grin grin grin grin
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by dayokanu(m): 5:07am On Sep 05, 2012
OP.

How much does your husband make per month? If he has a lot of money then you can go ahead but if he is the average worker, You better shelve the marriage for at least a year.

Imagine Husband making 50-70k a month and wife no job. It wont be long before money for soup becomes an issue especially when you start having children

Personally I wont do it and I think it isnt wise to marry a woman without any income, If your husband lose his job what happens?

I have a friend and classmate who married in December 2009 and lost his job with Intercontinental Bank in Feb 2010 during the banking Tsunami. The wife had no job. The guy said he wished he didnt make that decision
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Nobody: 5:08am On Sep 05, 2012
I am of the opinion that a marriage where responsibility is one sided can not last. No matter how little, make sure you have a steady source of income independent of your husband.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by AdeniyiA(m): 6:14am On Sep 05, 2012
i can marry a lady who has no job but possesses skills that can make her to be self employed. a good wife material shud be good in at least 3 crafts or handicrafts.
i would advice parents to make sure their children(boys and girls) acquire skills or crafts during long holidays instead of enrolling them in tutorial centres.
western education seems not adequate for survival in Nigeria of today

1 Like

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Dosopseh26: 6:22am On Sep 05, 2012
my dear, their are so amny ways to assists ur man is not only financially. if u can concentrat well on doing the home job sincerely, ur husband will be satisfied and God will surely bless you.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Andrew3(m): 6:56am On Sep 05, 2012
You dont have to worry yourself, taking care of you is his marital responsibility\
so even if you decide to help you are only doing him a favour.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by God2man(m): 7:13am On Sep 05, 2012
Dosopseh26: my dear, their are so amny ways to assists ur man is not only financially. if u can concentrat well on doing the home job sincerely, ur husband will be satisfied and God will surely bless you.

The unexpected will always happen, what i mean is that there is no marriage that is so perfect, the important thing is to make up for your inadequacy and be a good wife, your relationship with God will go a long way to help your marriage, pray constantly to God for a better Job, plan together with your husband and suggest what you can do to keep you busy. I do not think, it should stop the wedding bell.

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by RuuDie(m): 7:15am On Sep 05, 2012
pro01:

That's right. I thought it was a case of one mumu love-struck jobless Romeo that wants to marry 'by-fire-by-force' so that another well to do man wouldn't snatch his Juliet. Lol. The OP has no problem as long as her husband is capable and isn't complaining. I reckon most men I know do not care that much about their wife's employment status. All they want is a good woman who would keep her laps closed to 'intruders', take care of him and the homefront, and generally behave like a good wife should.

Employment and financial security in a marriage context is a much bigger worry for men than women, particularly in the early stages - at least in this part of the world. So the OP can afford to take her time, develop herself, and explore worthwhile options until something meaningful materialises in the long run. I must however commend her thoughtfulness and seeming good sense though. That's a rarity among young naija women these days.

You never know. . .the prospective hubby might well fall in that category; albeit without the jobless - he might not be as financially buoyant as he or they both think. This is the bane of most average naija men. . .not ever being able to tell when we are ready in terms of the money. Most just take blind risks!

Ah well, @ OP, all the best!!!
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by beqs101(f): 7:22am On Sep 05, 2012
EXCELLENCE Abia: you are going to be embarrassed with job but never forget to testify

Thanks and i won't forget to testify.
Re: Getting Married Without A Job by dammytosh: 7:32am On Sep 05, 2012
That you are not bringing money does not mean u are not adding to the family. I prefer a wife holding the house than a 50k per month salary earner. If u take extreme good care of the house and make sure everything is in place, he should place u on salary as if he empoyed some one to do dt for him.

After your marriage just try as much as possible :

1. Do not nag.
2. Do not conclude that everything happening in d house was as a result of u not having a job.
3. Do not leave things undone while watching dstv.
4. Be diligent,
5. Keep fit and don't explode (fat)
6. Use this time to read about being a wife and parenting
7. Time to give birth to ur first child.
8. Pick interest in whatever he is interested in d little time he spends at home. You watching superstory when Real Madrid is playing Barcelona will add to d time ur man will spend outside d home.
9. Be extra patient and dnt be unnecessarily sensitive.(that he has really changed thinking)
10. Time to know more about what he likes. Imagine u chatting ur baby dt is a politics freak and analyzing Michelle Obama's speech or u being the first to tell him Michael Essien has moved to Real Madrid.

The list continues ............ More about financing shortly.

- My Opinion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Married Without A Job by Bintu4: 7:53am On Sep 05, 2012
Even wants 2 marry hijab sister about 2 finish nysc, we stay in lag but dont know what to set up 4 her but dont want her 2 b looking 4 job dt is not there and consider her dress, discrimination issue but i luv her 2 much.

What can i do?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

''my Husband Emeka Okojie Is Trying To Kill Me'' - Nigerian Lady / 3-Day-Old Baby Abandoned In Front Of A Church In Lagos (Photos) / Pastor Felix Onuoha & His Wife Welcome Twins After 13 Years Of Marriage (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.