Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,835 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Technical Analysis Using Aptistock - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Technical Analysis Using Aptistock (14153 Views)

Projecy Typesetting/ Data Analysis Using Spss Or Epiinfo/school Chalk / Nse-technical Analysis / Free Forex Technical Analysis/ Signals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 8:19pm On Jan 05, 2008
We have seen an increased interest in technical analysis in the last few months. Excel spreadsheets have been too difficult to develop or too cumbersome to maintain. And they certainly aren't as aesthetically pleasing as some professional packages.

I know of one website and one software developer working on tech analysis software tailored to the NSE, but in the meantime, you can work with AptiStock (kudos to naijadr for the hook-up). It's free software you can download here:

http://www.aptistock.com/

Once you download and install (and yes it worked on my vista machine), go to "Setting" and select "Add/Remove Stock Market". Deselect all the listed markets (unless you wish to use the software to monitor any of the listed markets).

In your windows explorer go to

C:\Program Files\AptiStock\Data

Delete all the data files/folders in there (it will only confuse and clutter your software)

You are now ready to upload data from the NSE and become a tech analyst.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2008
SavvyLanre/Big Jay were kind enough to provide us with open, high, low, close and volume data for all stocks dating back to April 2007. Please let us know if you have data dating back even further. Note this file is only valid till Jan 02, 2008. I will post updated files once a week starting next week.
Download the file here

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A8P3GNBA

If you wish to update the file by yourself, use an excel macro that Man Jiro wrote. You can find it here and it contains instructions for use.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-31554.8896.html#msg1814156
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2008
Now that you have the NSE OLHC/Volume data (named NNSE to avoid confusion with AptiStock's Indian NSE), go through the following steps to import the file.

"Tools"
"Data Downloader"
Under Data Destination, check "Other Market" and input the market name NNSE

Select "Import" at the bottom of the window and the "Import Data from EOD Data File" will come up.
Under "File Select", click on "Browser"
Change file type to "Comma Separated File (*.csv)"
Find the place you saved the NNSE file (which you must have unzipped) and select it.
Click "open"
Back on the "Import Data from EOD Data File" window, click "Import"

AptiStock will spend some time loading the data and creating a CSV file for every stock. Repeat the import process when you get new data and it will append new data to existing stocks. It will also create new symbols for new stocks

Congrats! Your data is now loaded.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2008
To use AptiStock

ON the left panel, select "Files", double-click on NNSE and select any stock. Some charts will come up. To change the type of chart, select the triangle next to VOL and a list of available curves will pop up. Select one and choose "replace".

If, for example, you'd rather see 14 day RSI instead of 11, go to "Tools"/"Indicator Parameter Settings". Under Main Chart Indicator or Sub Chart Indicator, you can tune any indicator to your preference. A brief tutorial on each indicator is even displayed!
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 8:29pm On Jan 05, 2008
If you are new to tech analysis, please download and read the following investopedia article.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/indicator_oscillator/

If you have not read something on Tech analysis, you will not be able to interpret the charts

Please do not post kudos/gbosas or topics of other interests here. I intended for this thread to be a resource for getting people up and running ONLY. I'd like to keep it short so things are easy to find. If you have any questions about a particular stock (even if it is a technical question), please go to the most popular thread on nairaland and you'll get an answer. Please don't discuss buy/sell issues.

If you have problems installing, loading data, or navigating/tweaking the software, feel free to post here so we can address and improve
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by oawele: 10:38pm On Jan 05, 2008
@easimoni,
thanks for this thread. i was actually thinking of something like this thread before i started Learn How To Analysis Nigerian Stocks thread before i saw this.

i personally must confess that when i went through nigeria stock market tip thread, things were just jamming .
and the thread long oh!

any way i started a thread Learn How To Analysis Nigerian Stocks where we could just pick some good stocks and bad stock so to say and analysis them together. we must mustn`t buy the stocks but learn with it.

what do you think??!??
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by Gudchoice: 12:37am On Jan 06, 2008
Easibaba - you are da bomb. okurin meta be ko. You are a real treasure, really.

I recently deleted Aptistock from my pc. I just couldn't get it to work. I turned to Metastock, but that required verification. Now with your wonderful tutorial I can boldly venture back into Aptistock.

Thanks ever so much.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by Etin(f): 4:06am On Jan 06, 2008
Thanks Easimoni
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by DisGuy: 4:50am On Jan 06, 2008
Thanks Easimoni

Can you please explain how to set the overbought and oversold lines using RSI

http://www.investopedia.com/university/indicator_oscillator/ind_osc7.asp

cheers
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by stanchuks(m): 6:32am On Jan 06, 2008
@Easimoni
My Oga thanks for this trend, i am finding it difficult uploading into Aptistock or is it not Vista compliance, if so is there a solution for this?
Nice weekend
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by pumping777(m): 8:32pm On Jan 08, 2008
@easimoni - Thanks for all the effort here o. You dey too try!!!
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by bigjay01(m): 11:11pm On Jan 08, 2008
stanchuks:

@Easimoni
My Oga thanks for this trend, i am finding it difficult uploading into Aptistock or is it not Vista compliance, if so is there a solution for this?
Nice weekend

the vibes i got from other thread is that aptistock is not Vista compliant. I stand corrected . also note that the help section provides a very good guide as to the interpretation of all the indicators.

Also note that TA Pro & Deluxe have just been released on www.nigeriansecurities.com. they have data going back 2 years

I would be be wary of using TA in isolation without looking at the fundamental analysis & future prospects of the stock. Most of these software were developed with developed / perfect market in mind. From what is happening on some stock on NSE at the moment, you wouldnt touch some stock with a barge pole (from their TA data), but these are the stocks doing very well (albeit 4 now)
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by spicie: 5:21pm On Jan 09, 2008
Yello,
Can someone kindly help me with the data file, cos i cant download it from megaupload, the site is blocked in my country. Tanx
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 5:53pm On Jan 09, 2008
spicie:

Yello,
Can someone kindly help me with the data file, because i can't download it from megaupload, the site is blocked in my country. Tanx

Spell out your email addy and I email the file to you after I update it on Friday.
stanchuks:

@Easimoni
Nice weekend
It works fine on my vista machine. The loading data session never seems to end but if you abort it, it seems to have loaded the data just fine. The charts will work okay.

Dis Guy:

Can you please explain how to set the overbought and oversold lines using RSI
http://www.investopedia.com/university/indicator_oscillator/ind_osc7.asp
cheers

I don't know that you can "set" the lines in AptiStock. I simply do some visual inspection and llok for 70/30 or 80/20
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by tommyt(m): 3:51pm On Jan 12, 2008
Thanks alot bro,
is good to have people like u in niraland, thanks for taking at of your preciuos time to add to peoples life.
enything i clink on my stock downloader now is giving me error report, i will hold on a bit and re try it latter in the day if the problem and if there is no progres may be i will uninstall it and re install, or do you have any solution to it?
thanks and God bless
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 11:29pm On Jan 14, 2008
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CCPROODQ

OHLC & Volume Data current as of today! Still looking for someone with data that pre-dates April 2007.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 11:58pm On Jan 15, 2008
easimoni:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CCPROODQ

OHLC & Volume Data current as of today! Still looking for someone with data that pre-dates April 2007.

@ easimoni

I just discovered this thread.

I have data that goes to Dec 2006 but its too big to upload here. Not too sure of the process for uploading into megaupload but will check it out.

I also found out that the help files in Metastock and aptistock are quite elaborate on explaining the indicators. Will upload some pdf i got too.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 12:23am On Jan 16, 2008
@ Man_Jiro,
Megaupload should be easy to use. If you have issues, let me know. Maybe you can email it to me and I'll "megaupload" it.

Should be useful stuff.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 3:38pm On Jan 16, 2008
easimoni:

@ Man_Jiro,
Megaupload should be easy to use. If you have issues, let me know. Maybe you can email it to me and I'll "megaupload" it.

Should be useful stuff.

Okay. Will send the stuff to you today.
Whats you email? Mine is man4jiro@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 9:57pm On Jan 17, 2008
easimoni:

@ Man_Jiro,

Should be useful stuff.

@easimoni,

Waiting for you to send me an e-mail I can send it to: it might be wise to have all the materials in the space you have created.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 1:33am On Jan 18, 2008
Gents,

I have uploaded some files for your benefit

PDF about market Indicators (basically investopedia)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KFDS8V0U

NSE data from Dec 2006 to April 2007
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GONEBC13

Interpreting Market Indicators (Metastock)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5P9T30IC

I guess somebody could consolidate these files into a library for nairalanders
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by dollarmani: 3:11am On Jan 18, 2008
the volume indicators show that there has been a strategic mopup of unitybank for the last 40days
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by dollarmani: 3:13am On Jan 18, 2008
Hi guys,

Check out the the technical analysis tool on nigeriansecurities. They have data as far back as 2007 and you dont have to worry about updating daily data for aptistock if you have gotten aptistock to work.

Unfortunately i have not been able to get aptistock to work making this timely.

I can at least now focus on using the indicators instead of trying to make them work
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by shigidi(m): 10:08am On Jan 18, 2008
easimoni, ure a real gem
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 1:02pm On Jan 18, 2008
dollarmani:

Hi guys,

Check out the the technical analysis tool on nigeriansecurities. They have data as far back as 2007 and you don't have to worry about updating daily data for aptistock if you have gotten aptistock to work.

Unfortunately i have not been able to get aptistock to work making this timely.

I can at least now focus on using the indicators instead of trying to make them work

I think it would still be wise to use the aptistock/metastock as backup though. You never know when these guy might change their mind about free usage.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 3:46pm On Jan 18, 2008
Man Jiro:

I think it would still be wise to use the aptistock/metastock as backup though. You never know when these guy might change their mind about free usage.

Man Jiro,
thanks for the work and the links. smiley Also agree per your comments; it's only a matter of time before they ask for money for the non-basic versions.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 5:19pm On Jan 22, 2008
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HQLCZ5H0

NSE OHLC data from Dec 2006 to Jan 22, 2008
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by SOJ(m): 12:58pm On Jan 24, 2008
@easimoni
thanks for ur tips here man.i downloaded the software ad followed ur instructions but couldnt get it to work.i deleted the data files in program files and uploaded our NNSE data into the data folder.Still it failed to list NNSE under "files" in the lefthand tab.Can you help me out here?
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 5:45pm On Jan 25, 2008
SOJ:

@easimoni
thanks for your tips here man.i downloaded the software ad followed your instructions but couldnt get it to work.i deleted the data files in program files and uploaded our NNSE data into the data folder.Still it failed to list NNSE under "files" in the lefthand tab.Can you help me out here?

@ SOJ

Did you also import the list of NSE symbols? If not, you need to.
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 6:22pm On Jan 25, 2008
SOJ:

@easimoni
thanks for your tips here man.i downloaded the software ad followed your instructions but couldnt get it to work.i deleted the data files in program files and uploaded our NNSE data into the data folder.Still it failed to list NNSE under "files" in the lefthand tab.Can you help me out here?

Did you go through the import process? You can't just copy the NNSE.csv file, you have to import it use the Aptistock data downloader. Message #3 on this thread describes how to import the CSV file into Aptistock. Have u done that? If you have respond and I'll think of something else
Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by easimoni(m): 10:58pm On Feb 01, 2008
OLHC Data updated till Feb 1, 2008

Only contains 2008 data

Re: Technical Analysis Using Aptistock by ManJiro(m): 3:44pm On Feb 03, 2008
easimoni:

OLHC Data updated till Feb 1, 2008

Only contains 2008 data

Thanks man

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

History And Secrets Of Lotto / Naira Appreciates To N435/$, As CBN Injects $180m. / Which Water Dispenser Is The Best And Where Can I Buy It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.