Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

What can one do In Lagos? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What can one do In Lagos? (5409 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What can one do In Lagos? by SEGUN2003(m): 12:54am On Aug 01, 2005
I haveĀ“t been to nigeria for years so I will definitely be travelling down there this december. What can i do in Lagos during the 2 weeks I will be there and has Lagos or Nigeria changed much in these ten years?
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Seun(m): 1:01am On Aug 01, 2005
Why are you coming to Lagos in the first place? To see your family?
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Latoya(f): 6:02am On Aug 01, 2005
I was in Nigeria last year,i was very impressed with the country's improvement generally especially lagos.i guess u will have fun but u have to get someone to take u around.
I bet u will like it wink
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by nike4luv(f): 11:22am On Aug 01, 2005
yea..its like mini london
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Seun(m): 12:36pm On Aug 01, 2005
nike: it's like mini London
How right you are, Nike. London, I hear, is a dirty and crowded city. Lagos is just like that, but I'm sure you don't have beautiful refuse dumps like ours in London!
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by hotangel2(f): 12:37pm On Aug 01, 2005
uhmm you can go to Lekki Beach. What a nice place (if it's still alive).
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by angelak(f): 1:03pm On Aug 01, 2005
Segun 2003, i think the question you should rather be asking is "where not to go?"

I trust your family members to direct /guide your steps.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by angelak(f): 1:06pm On Aug 01, 2005
Point of correction, Abuja is now the Mini London. cool
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Latoya(f): 1:37pm On Aug 01, 2005
Yea i agree wiv u Angela,ABJ rocks wink
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by nike4luv(f): 5:32pm On Aug 01, 2005
but lagos it is..london aint dat dirty..
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Vongauche(m): 1:00am On Aug 02, 2005
the question is what can't one do in Lagos? cool

as the lyrics of one of the songs by trybesmen go:
"shey na babe u de find? OWAMBE!"
"shey na job u de find? OWAMBE!"
"shey na ride u de find? OWAMBE!"

or how did the chorus go again?

U can find anything in Lagos. GO to mad party, beach, concerts, hang out at dem eateries. there are a thousand and one things I can't even think of right now!
the only thing is that the natural beauty of Lagos has been destroyed/disfigured. So if u r looking for tourist spots or serene place then forget Lagos tongue

ABJ is nice and most things are planned, neat and not crowded. although all that is rapidly changing, unfortunately. i fear the FG is going to slip and ABJ'll turn into another Lagos minus the night life & business. people in ABJ are much more saner than Lagosians. maybe, it's cos most ABJ are JJCs. I have 2 grouses with ABJ: lack of constant water and dull night life/ recreation. the latter probably cos it should be a worker's(civil servant) town. anyway, i digress again. there are many things to do in Lagos. it's up to whoever to find out exactly what he wants. lipsrsealed
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by angelak(f): 9:51am On Aug 02, 2005
Lack of constant water?? That occurs in every part of Nigeria!. However, i live in Abuja and where i stay, there's constant water supply. Although occasionally it seizes for few hours. About the dry night life, your so correct. It can be really boring in Abuja, but i have come to notice that it depends on who you know.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Seun(m): 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2005
"angela k":
and where i stay, there's constant water supply. Although occasionally it seizes for few hours.

"Suffering and smiling" is what Fela calls this. We have constant water suppy, but occasionally it is unavailable. Funny! Anyway, I understand the reasoning behind this error.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by angelak(f): 3:56pm On Aug 03, 2005
Seun, only you can sabi the reasoning behind the error!! grin
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by hotangel2(f): 6:50pm On Aug 03, 2005
Can u state the reason Seun?
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Aug 03, 2005
He means the water supply is much more regular than Almightly NEPA!
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by hotangel2(f): 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2005
mmkay. Why did they change NEPA's name?
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Bibi(m): 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2005
It really depends, are you looking to enjoy your holiday or looking for business in Lagos?

If you want to enjoy your holiday, tray to spend more time outside Lagos. See the thread on holiday spots in Nigeria.

.....Otherwise, I say, be careful of the yahoo boys smiley
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by avocat(m): 3:58pm On Aug 18, 2005
A word of warning - - if you are not familiar with lagos, always go around with a guide. Pay your cousins do be your giude. I'll tell you why.

i would like to share in my experience the first time i returned to nigeria in 1995. i decided to go for a walk on awolowo road in lagos, i was looking for around enjoying the nice weather. I was wearing a those mallam dress. you know long buba (to your ankle) with sokoto. it was new. I had almost reached under the brigde at Ikoyi end when all of a sudden i was confronted by a megad (local gate security man), he accused me of being one of the people that operated in their area, the night before. I told him you must be joking. before i could say jack robertson, he jumped on me and started hitting me and calling a robber. I wa dazed, i saw stars, i tried to defend myself but i was conscious that other megad were already looking outside of their gates and I know they could join in and beat me to pulp. I had to do something as i was aware that innocent people have been burnt alive based on someone calling one a thief. I immediately remembered that i passed a police station while i was walking and i asked him to take me there.

I was gasping for air with all the beating, he agreed to take to the police station on awolowo road. to my surprise, the public buses refused to allow us to board them. I flagged down taxis, some refused to stop, but fortunately one stopped. I paid for the taxi pare. This may held unto my clothing.

When we reached the awolowo road police station, I was about to tell my story, when the police man told me to shut up. He told the megad to tell him what happened. Once the megad finished, I was about to begin my version when a policeman hit me with the butt of his rifle. it was no laughing matter. I was scared. The policeman shouted "empty your pocket". I complied. I received a slap from another policeman.

They would not allow me to narate what happened. Eventually, a God fearing policeman among them pleaded for me to speak. I told my story, how i just came to nigeria and everything but to my surprise, the police kept twisting everything i said. The police took me into the cell, there I saw many people who were being detained. The policeman asked each one of them whether the recognised me. They all said they did not recognise me. The police then said that they would detain me. i asked to use the telephone but they did not have any. I asked if they could go to my parent's house and check out my story, they refused.

The God fearing policeman came to me and asked me intellingent questions, like the flight number, your purpose in Nigeria, when i was returning. After much persuasion, the police decided to let me go. The policeman told me that people who are well dressed like myself do not walk the street, they are driven inside cars. It was scarrrry!

i did not get back home till late at night, everyone had been wandering what happended to me. When i returned to England i suffered panic attacks for several months. I lost my job as a result of the panic attacks.

In conclusion, when going around lagos, always take a guide.

I have returned to nigerian many time since that event and i go out a lot, but i do not go out alone anymore. I always go around in cars. I dont even try to blend in.

a word for the wise.

there are may places of interest like the palmtree resort on the way to badagry. badagry is good for visiting. Lekki is good. Ikoyi club is not bad at all. Sheraton Hotel is expensive but i like their restaurant service. TBS square, the biggest church bulding in the whole world is in Nigeria.

Abuja is trully like Europe. I enjoyed ibadan most. if you have time visit UNiLag, LaSu and enjoy the parties.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by aki(m): 11:58pm On Aug 30, 2005
Lagos is a very nice city, i like it very much, although there is a lot of things need to be improved. and am a nonenglish foreign doing business in Lagos, i dont know where shall we go, but i know where we can not go.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by hotangel2(f): 12:43am On Aug 31, 2005
hello Aki, I think we should take this to PM, Welcome to Nairaland once more. And feel free to explore all threads that you find interesting. Go to the chatterbox section, just surf arround. You will never remain lonely after surfing nairaland. It's fun being in here.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Buffy(m): 2:37pm On Sep 19, 2005
a cautionary tale avocat. Tell me, these megads, are the armed? Other than with clubs of course?
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by terry(m): 2:41pm On Sep 19, 2005
if you need the tropical feel you could go to any of the Carribean countries
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Buffy(m): 4:04pm On Sep 19, 2005
"Carribean countries"?

what and have our parents, Aunts and their chums looking over our shoulder all winter? No thank you.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by terry(m): 5:40pm On Sep 19, 2005
are you the guy in question ?
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by loveth(f): 4:58pm On Oct 06, 2005
Well,i came to this lagos have my studies.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by avocat(m): 10:40pm On Oct 10, 2005
buffy,

the event that happened to me in lagos at that time was an isolated incident. i now regularly visit nigeria. i even arrange for private limo to pick me up from the airport to victoria island. I am told that the happiest people on earth live in nigeria. their happiness is contagious (and it has nothing to do with money). If you know any unhappy person anywhere on earth, please recommend that they visit nigeria.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by WesleyanA(f): 4:11am On Oct 11, 2005
i get really scared at night especially when there's no light.
my mom usually says "anything can happen to anybody just be ready and pray at all times"
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by Odeku(m): 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2005
there are may places of interest like the palmtree resort on the way to badagry. badagry is good for visiting. Lekki is good. Ikoyi club is not bad at all. Sheraton Hotel is expensive but i like their restaurant service. TBS square, the biggest church bulding in the whole world is in Nigeria.

Abuja is trully like Europe. I enjoyed ibadan most. if you have time visit UNILAG, LASU and enjoy the parties.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by excalibur(m): 12:59pm On Nov 07, 2005
U could check www.wheretogoinlagos.com, i'm sure u'd get some answers.

Howz everyone down here?Think this is a lovely forum. Just visiting from our own forum (above). Got interesting people here too i see.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by loveth(f): 7:50pm On Dec 01, 2005
hi.
Re: What can one do In Lagos? by loveth(f): 1:08pm On Dec 02, 2005
rolleyes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have I Been Scammed For Turkey Visa / Frustrated Wakanow Staff / Red And Black Bags At Uk Visa Centres (vfs Global)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.