Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,464 members, 7,819,689 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:05 PM

Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) (23645 Views)

Does CBN Still Print 5, 10, 20 And 50 Naira Notes? / How We Will Take Coins From ATM - Pic / What Is The Meaning Of Naira & Kobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by danjohn: 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
I used them to buy chewing gum and sweet as a kid.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by ujukala: 7:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
I was not around then.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Dsage1: 7:05pm On Sep 06, 2012
leighcon: Did well! 10kobo = 10 (sweet alangba) while 30kobo = 1 doughnut, days when coke(thick bottle) was 70kobo and crush/seveup family was 65kobo. 1 kobo was fading out then but then we still gather 5 and spend. N1 (red and later green coulour) was the big boys money sprayed at parties.

Things don spoil no be small.

Man you remind me of old days. I also spent the paper's one before it was made to coins. We called that sweet (Eyin Alangba) lizards eggs.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by sugardaddy1(m): 7:08pm On Sep 06, 2012
Yomieluv: Yap,i used it..buying ekena gowon,sisi pelebe,eyin alagba,,a warrior on a horse,and marble.etc.good old days,when u put ur money in the foodplate before break,for the foodvendor to pack..rice and vegetable soup.etc
So on point.
My father used to give me 20kobo to school then, I would place 10kobo in my aluminium food plate whose cover was tied to the bowl with a metal strap, 5kobo was for fruits and the balance of 5kobo was for groundnut, kokoro, dandy or bazooka bubble gum. I still remember the plateful of food that we bought with those 10kobo coins those days:-
Mondays = Rice + Vegetable stew
Tuedsay = Beans
Wednesday = Rice + Beans + stew
Thursday = Yam pottage
Friday = Jollof rice grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Fiveseventy: 7:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
obadiah777: HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE SAY NIGERIA IS BAD AND ANYTIME I SEE LINDA IKEJIS PAGE I SEE MALLS, people looking fresh and healthy and happy, lots of big cars everywhere, nice houses, people with lots of accesories like mobile phones and laptops and ipods and ipads, lots of opulent looking people who look fresher than people who live abroad, lots of stars making billions like p square tuface wizkid etc etc, americanied vibe, hotels going for $500 per night, houses going for 200 million naira etc etc. am i missing something ? someone help me out. oh and i see expensive looking boutiques, KFC, MACDONALDS, CHICKEN SHACK ( and all these companies are worth a couple of hundred million dollars each, i see lots of cycling clubs, i see lots of clubs with bikers, these cyclists and bikers meet up and ride around etc etc. very americanized. they have on all the bells and whistlles like the outfits and pads and cycling shorts etc etc like they do abroad. this all in naija. and yall say naija is bad ? help me somebody cuz i aint been in a while

True... but thats the life style of the middle class to the wealthy. Even in lagos, you start to wonder if Lekki and Ajegunle are in the same country! Then you leave the cities and still see villages with mud huts (in these modern times). African economies of the past like South Africa and Egypt seem to be in a league ahead of us. Life is harder for the common man, so you can't blame people who say 9ja is bad.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nezan(m): 7:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
Gonzaga1010: I also used coins when my mom use 2 give it 2 me to buy snakes at skul den. But dat was when naija knows wot dey were doing, not killing d money
You used coins to buy snakes? Smh cheesy
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 7:11pm On Sep 06, 2012
Nezan: You use coins to buy snakes? Smh cheesy

I think he meant snacks grin
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Fiveseventy: 7:16pm On Sep 06, 2012
naijababe:

I think he meant snacks grin

I was wondering too! LMHO
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by dangerzone: 7:20pm On Sep 06, 2012
Mehn Nigeria don spoil finish,oma se o
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Tisa: 7:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
Wow! I remember those good old days when u will save N2 in your piggy bank as a child and when u break d bank and count the many kobo coins to make about N2 and ur parents looking @ u doing it with a sense of pride. Hmmmmmm I don't know if today's economic realities afford kids such luxury anymore cos the N100 or even N500 daily allowance is not even enuf to buy a healthy meal for students anymore.

Naija how did u fall this bad??

This makes me wanna cry wahalai.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 06, 2012
Fiveseventy:

True... but thats the life style of the middle class to the wealthy. Even in lagos, you start to wonder if Lekki and Ajegunle are in the same country! Then you leave the cities and still see villages with mud huts (in these modern times). African economies of the past like South Africa and Egypt seem to be in a league ahead of us. Life is harder for the common man, so you can't blame people who say 9ja is bad.
thanks. i just needed enlightenment. cuz like i said i have not been in a while. yet what i hear from people is different from what i see on sites such as lindaikeji blog.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by sweetgala(m): 7:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
Back in the good times spent 5k 10k and 50k , though they were going out of circulation at the time. Things were reasonable then coke bottle was like 5 naira probably less.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 06, 2012
Tisa: Wow! I remember those good old days when u will save N2 in your piggy bank as a child and when u break d bank and count the many kobo coins to make about N2 and ur parents looking @ u doing it with a sense of pride. Hmmmmmm I don't know if today's economic realities afford kids such luxury anymore cos the N100 or even N500 daily allowance is not even enuf to buy a healthy meal for students anymore.

Naija how did u fall this bad??

This makes me wanna cry wahalai.

Omo, used to be called kolo. My mum gave me some money to buy 'kolo' but rather than buy kolo, i spent the money and decided to use a milk can as my 'kolo'. Only when I opened my tin 'kolo' all my saved coins had rusted sad

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by damilarelr(m): 7:36pm On Sep 06, 2012
Hmmm, though I spend the 50k and 10k coins when in primary school, I got to see the 50k and 1 naira notes when growing up (I think I still have the 50kobo notes at home). It was fun being a kid those days when you imagine how long a 5 naira note can last you. In fact, back in 1996, I still remember taking a bus of 3 naira to my secondary school in Ibadan.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by konkocious(m): 7:45pm On Sep 06, 2012
Oh boi no ßε̲̣̣̣̥ small thing o
Groundnut : 5k
Ice water : 1k
Tin of garrii: 10k
Eja dindin: 5k
D list plenty o, me D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ Nursery one then and na 10k ßε̲̣̣̣̥ my pocket money ƬǬ school.
Annunciation Nur/pry school, Akure i ǸǾ fit 4get u o especially d̶̲̥̅̊ɑ̤̥̈̊† guy wey D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ sell snacks then
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by tjadeba(m): 7:53pm On Sep 06, 2012
This thread is good...makes me know my mates among nairalanders... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by kny(m): 7:54pm On Sep 06, 2012
Still can't forget the good old days where strollng on d street u see a 1kobo coin, pick it up, rub it on ur head for a long period or pack sand and water to turn it to a shiny new coin and u walk majestically to buy either nicco or tofee sweet. 10 pieces my fellows and u av options of colours blue, red, green. My favourite was d brown chocolate ones nd among ur peers ur d biggest boy dat day. Nigeria we hail thee, days of OMO, SODA, ELEPHANT, GEISHA, BREAD ONIBEJI, UNCLE BENS RICE,
Things go better
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by faithin9ja: 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2012
1988 I went to British Commission Consular on Marina (the Kwellams Building) near current UBA House. It cost me [b]10 kobo for molue [/b]from Pleasure Bus Stop on Abeokuta ByPass (near Iyana Ipaja)

1988 here oh! e no far like that
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by bashydemy(m): 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2012
Gone are those days. I use to buy rice alagbon( coconut rice) with the coins. hahha. now some memories are rolling in the house. OP we go sue you ooo i swear. I remember those at Ansarudeen primary school Alayabiagba. I use to eat eba ibo close to my school and ori eja( Fish Head) with the coins. How about ice creams, Kulikuli, Donkua, popcorn,sisi pelebe, choco milo,i also spend some in secondary school back then remembering Gaskiya college then. I use to eat rice and eran olora( Fat meat) omo memories goes on..
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by AkpuNku2: 7:58pm On Sep 06, 2012
those day you can buy sugar and mix it with garri without water
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by leighcon(m): 8:09pm On Sep 06, 2012
damilarelr: Hmmm, though I spend the 50k and 10k coins when in primary school, I got to see the 50k and 1 naira notes when growing up (I think I still have the 50kobo notes at home). It was fun being a kid those days when you imagine how long a 5 naira note can last you. In fact, back in 1996, I still remember taking a bus of 3 naira to my secondary school in Ibadan.

Ibadan Boi - Which area you grow na?

You remind me of bus trip from Akobo - Gate going to Loyola college then 91/92- Fare was N1. I go break the journey to save 20kobo when going back home. Gate - Bashorun 50kobo, Bashorun - Akobo 30kobo(bus ooo! taxi never dey that route.

Does anyone remember how much they sell Target then (siga target) for those wey buy am for the area broses ni oo
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Iykecollins(m): 8:15pm On Sep 06, 2012
I can only remember using 10kobo to buy 'chin gum' as a little boy and 1kobo coins were lying useless in my Dad's shelf. Men I don old o!
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 06, 2012
leighcon: Did well! 10kobo = 10 (sweet alangba) while 30kobo = 1 doughnut, days when coke(thick bottle) was 70kobo and crush/seveup family was 65kobo. 1 kobo was fading out then but then we still gather 5 and spend. N1 (red and later green coulour) was the big boys money sprayed at parties.

Things don spoil no be small.
You are giving ♍ε̲̣̣̣ a strong nostalgic feeling. I really weep f̶̲̥̅̊☺я this country. You make ♍ε̲̣̣̣ remember those days when a bottle of coke had †☺ be drank with caution else it oozes out from Ʋя nose. Days when a kid with 50 kobo spent like there was no tomorrow. I really miss that Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 06, 2012
Iykecollins: I can only remember using 10kobo to buy 'chin gum' as a little boy and 1kobo coins were lying useless in my Dad's shelf. Men I don old o!
if them no born u see 1kobo with value, then u are still a young man. grin
Iykecollins: I can only remember using 10kobo to buy 'chin gum' as a little boy and 1kobo coins were lying useless in my Dad's shelf. Men I don old o!
if them no born u see 1kobo with value, then u are still a young man.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by leighcon(m): 8:29pm On Sep 06, 2012
^^
Abio! Dude no sabi say if you gather 5 1k coins na 3 Choco Milo be that!!! We pay cobblers (Shoemakers) then with 1k coins to mend our Cotina(I no sabi the spelling again oo)

Me I no too like coke then sha, na Crush I like pass with that sexy bottle.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by gbadexy(m): 8:52pm On Sep 06, 2012
Sure, I took 20 kobo to school as my lunch money. I think 5 kobo is mainly spent on choco milo, 1 or 2 for 50kobo.
If the mallams wants us to go back to those days, he should also male 20 naira the highest denomination.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by chucky234(m): 9:02pm On Sep 06, 2012
Still remember those coins,hmmm what a golden memory.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by nasty45(m): 9:03pm On Sep 06, 2012
WHO SAYS MILITARY RULERSHIP AINT GOOD?SB PLS PASS ME THAT SUGAR ICE CREAM,PETIT,MONKEY BLOCKUSS,HONEY+G/NUT,DAYS WEN GALA TASTED BETTER,DAYS WHEN WE'L STEAL(I MEAN TAKE) SOME FOODSTUFFS FRM WE HOME,MK FIREWOODS AND PREP FOOD FOR OURSELVES....MIS THOSE DAYS OF PLAYIN CANTER,ROASTIN CASHEW-THO MY DAD WIL FLOG US,BUH WETIN WE GO DO.SB PLS PASS ME THAT SALEWA
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by damilarelr(m): 9:25pm On Sep 06, 2012
Remembered the day I lost some 10kobo coins in the night, I had to look for magnet and light torch, placing the magnet close to the pathway and walking, it picked a lot of rubbish before it eventually picked the lost coin.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by beylinko(m): 9:37pm On Sep 06, 2012
Ws really smal then in nursery1 or so. I remember hw i usually lost my breakfast's money 50k paper n stil come home wit coins as change wit d same money. Days wen u used slate n chalk as our buks n pencil.Days wen u cud buy 2 fufu and 1 beske(cheese) wit 5naira in secondary sch. Days we bout 4 liters of kero 4 35 naira. Days a mudu of garri ws 10-15naira. It is wel.
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by Remii(m): 9:49pm On Sep 06, 2012
I used pence, shillings and pounds. I remember we used to tie 2 pence to our shorts going to school. I saw the introduction of Naira and Kobo, there was also a 25k coin, that was called Dollar, (USD was apparently equivalent of 25K in 1970s)it was not well accepted though so it faded out very soon.
In my town, a drop of intra-city bus was 10K and that is the name they still call the minibuses till today over there. I also remember that N20 was a bragging note in those days at Old Buka at OAU, Ife. If you brought out the green note of Murtala, everyone who saw it would look at you like a "big boy" lol fyi, monthly school stipend was N30 at the time. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Did You Use 5 & 10 Kobo Coins? (pics) by labasulla(f): 9:51pm On Sep 06, 2012
Use to buy ekana gowon, sisi pelebe, eyin alangba,balewa....with does coins u are rich back den...things don change

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Download On Waptrick.com, Wapdam.com And Wapkid.com / Police Officer Gifts Students New Pair Of Socks In Lagos (Video, Photos) / Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.